Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / RPG - Geisha House. Image intensive!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2007 14:37
Well i can record a video about enchaning system soon (Closed beta 2 comes tomorrow )

But if you have time can you write article about Geisha House here?

[center]
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2007 16:48
@Inspire -
I backed up everything yesterday. It has been long overdue though. That category 5 typhoon that passed over us could have wiped me out.

@Game King -
Thanks She was part of the family.

@Jeff Miller -
Quote: "Two days for an anniversary? Never did that. (But perhaps that's why I ended up divorced.)"

Heh It kind of turns into anniversary week. Her birthday and our anniversary are 4 days apart. We were going to get married on her birthday, but that year it happened to fall on Friday the 13th (a sign??) so we waited until the 17th. It's always a challenge making both days special.

Quote: "If it's any consolation, I hear there's a lot more beer in Germany than Okinawa. Good luck with the move."

I'm definitely looking forward to it Thanks!

@Seppuku Arts -
Quote: "Sorry to hear about the dog, it's not fun losing a pet."

Yeah, like I said, she was part of the family. She's been everywhere with us. Nobody really brings pets to Okinawa but we brought her on the plane with us. Sadly she won't be coming to Germany

Quote: "Shame about the schedule, but of course life is life and if you're behind on the engine, don't worry about it - but yes do back up before going to Germany. You say you're going in less than two weeks? So am I, (In about the same time) I'm going towards Hamburg for a week for the Wacken Festival."

I do hate being so behind, but it can't really be helped I suppose. I'll catch up during the move with the media and dialog. The dialog will take forever to write, so it will be nice to be able to dedicate some time to it.

We'll arrive in Germany the last week of August. Before that we'll travel to Tokyo and Texas. I'm not sure if that's when you'll be there.

Quote: "Good luck with the project and don't get to p**sed in Germany, but I suppose you could claim it as 'research' for your game."

Oh, it's on when I get to Germany Everything is research I suppose. Maybe I can write off strippers on my tax return because of it...

@Code Dragon -
Quote: "Good luck in Germany. Don't worry about being behind on the game, you're not alone."

Thanks

Quote: "I just don't know how you do it, Cash. I have a game at 2100 lines now and have just hit a huge brick wall, if your game is 10 times as large in code as mine I can't imagine how skilled you must be to keep working consistently. Basically whenver I try to add a new feature to the game I have to change the core code a lot, causing another feature to complain. Fixing that causes yet another feature to complain..."

It is definitely a challenge. Having completed a few games before this really helped me develop the structure for this game. My basic coding practice is to make everything work automatically, every sub-system manages itself and recycles unused elements. I don't code like it's basic either, I approach it more like C++.

What's your brick wall? Maybe I can offer a few ideas to get you past it. Nothing is a brick wall, the worse it can be is massively inconvenient. There are plenty of ways to get around a brick wall, after all

@Alfa x -
Quote: "At least I can post!.
I thought I will never had a change to do it...
there were to many dumb posts"

Sorry you had to wait. I'm definitely glad you can post now

Quote: "Sorry about your dog"

Thanks. Like I've said, it was really hard for us.

Quote: "Excellent work. I liked video number 13 and the way the paperdoll works. I think it clearly distinguish your games from others."

I'd glad you think so. I really wanted a dynamic feeling system that looked good. I feel that people will like the system I've set up, it's a nice cross between 3D and 2D.

Quote: "I think it's an excellente idea to have shortcuts and to increase number of spells learned.
It can add gameplay and ours of re-play.
Yeah limit them to two spells and give it a time to learn to use a short-cut."

I'm eager to add this. I just haven't had a chance, but it's coming soon

Quote: "I think you don't know COlombia"

If I'm not mistaken, it has strong historical ties to Spain. Though uniquely different than Spain I imagine that it has kept many
Spanish influences.

One thing though, Miss Colombia looks like she's made of magic

@Bizar Guy -
Quote: "Medieval Colombia?"

Well, Colonial Colombia would probably be the closest Before that it would be a very different culture.

Quote: "I hope you settle in alright. It's going to be weird to think you're not in Japan!"

I'll miss Japan, but I'm looking forward to Germany as well. I'll miss Japanese girls, they're ridiculously cute

Quote: "I'm really sorry about your dog, but I'm not sure what I could say to comfort you in a forum post."

Thanks I know it's difficult to say much, especially since this is the only way we know each other, but I'm glad that you guys did say something.

@Fallout -
Quote: "Woohoo. I nab the 600th post."

Damn you

Quote: "Just to say Mr Curtis, I am still following this and checking it out. Looking forward to it's completion."

Very cool. I'm definitely looking forward to its completion as well.

@Roxas -
Quote: "Well i can record a video about enchaning system soon (Closed beta 2 comes tomorrow )"

Awesome, I look forward to seeing it

Quote: "But if you have time can you write article about Geisha House here?"

Sure, I'd be happy to. But what exactly do you want? Do you want an interview? Or just general talk?

Since the game isn't finished it might be a little bit early (pretentious even) for me to post an article about it. Let me know what you're looking for (what angle the article should lean toward, whether it be coding, game design, art direction, etc.) and I'll do what I can.

I'm going to do a bit of work on GH tonight, but it's all coming to a close soon. Sort of. I'll be doing media and dialog while I'm traveling. Essentially, I should have the game itself done by the time I get to Germany, though the engine will still take some work. I'll be able to code a couple mini projects for addition into the main project. I just won't be able to compile the actual project on my laptop, it's a bit of a weenie machine compared to my desktop.

I appreciate the comments about my dog. I know, it's easy to say 'it's just a dog', but she was 15 years old and she's been everywhere with us. Life does go on, but it was hard on everyone.

Thanks for the interest, the comments, and the support everyone. I'll endeavor to repay it all with a fabulous game

Come see the WIP!
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2007 18:55
Well i dont need interview not yet.. Because game isnt finished But you can already write something about engine. Like how it handles itself and others intresting things about it.

Also you could but some examples and etc. what could make other programmers to create similar systems

[center]
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2007 19:53
Quote: "Well i dont need interview not yet.. Because game isnt finished But you can already write something about engine. Like how it handles itself and others intresting things about it.

Also you could but some examples and etc. what could make other programmers to create similar systems"

That would be nice

Load Programmer "Crazy Programmer",1
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2007 20:54 Edited at: 24th Jul 2007 20:54
Quote: "I do hate being so behind, but it can't really be helped I suppose. I'll catch up during the move with the media and dialog. The dialog will take forever to write, so it will be nice to be able to dedicate some time to it."

Being behind with something can be a pain, even if they're deadlines you've set yourself, but on good thing is though, it's a motive to try and catch up, therefore speeding things up (with any luck that'll act as momentum)
Quote: "We'll arrive in Germany the last week of August. Before that we'll travel to Tokyo and Texas. I'm not sure if that's when you'll be there.
"

Nope, next week is when I'm going, the first week of August...I still need to learn what 'Beer' is in German, if I don't learn it, no doubt I'll be stuck 'Ich Mochte ein...Ah screw me, I don't know!' and they'll redirect me to the red-light district.

Quote: "Quote: "Good luck with the project and don't get to p**sed in Germany, but I suppose you could claim it as 'research' for your game."
Oh, it's on when I get to Germany Everything is research I suppose. Maybe I can write off strippers on my tax return because of it..."

Well, I suppose it's always good to get as much 'research' as possible off of the taxes, you're truly a visionary.

Hakuna Matata
Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2007 22:34
I'm Colombian too...woot!

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 11:00
@ Sepp -Ich kanne viel Bier trinken. I think... Ein bleitstift commst aus meine aschloch? Thats surely an abberation of what I wanted to say... Did german at uni for 2 semesters 2 years ago!

Greenlig

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
Deagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 16:25
Cash Curtis II: Just wondering, if you got my e-mail

Deagle aka D-Eagle
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 16:29 Edited at: 25th Jul 2007 16:31
Quote: "@ Sepp -Ich kanne viel Bier trinken. I think... Ein bleitstift commst aus meine aschloch? Thats surely an abberation of what I wanted to say... Did german at uni for 2 semesters 2 years ago!"

Ah, how could I forget what Beer was in German!? It is one of the simplest words to remember lol Cheers. Luckily for me, my friend speaks much better German than I.

[edit]
A what comes out of your a-hole?

Hakuna Matata
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 17:14 Edited at: 31st Jul 2007 06:20
@ Cash:

Quote: "If I'm not mistaken, it has strong historical ties to Spain. Though uniquely different than Spain I imagine that it has kept many
Spanish influences."

That's absolutely true.

Quote: "One thing though, Miss Colombia looks like she's made of magic "

I don't rember her .

But look here:

http://www.elcolombiano.com/Proyectos/Reinas/version2006/Perfil/Index.htm

I don't liked miss Colombia 2006.

http://www.elcolombiano.com/proyectos/Reinas/Default.htm

But 2005 is a really beatiful woman:

http://www.colarte.com/colarte/busquedas/consGen.asp?search=Valerie+Dominguez&submit=Buscar&p=12

Look the first two photos.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8272/19cy1.jpg

@ Game King: Viva Colombia !!!
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 18:44
@Roxas -
Tell you what, when I finish the engine I'll post a tutorial on that website. That will probably get you some traffic. If I posted a less detailed article it probably wouldn't be of much use. Although, I could post some game programming theory papers that might help some folks around here too...

I don't want to post a tutorial right now for two reasons - 1. I need to focus on my coding and game design, 2. and I haven't earned the right to write a tutorial yet. I respect the efforts that have gone into other tutorials on this site, but no RPG tutorial has come close to a finished product yet. The authors, talented game makers though they are, were not ready to attempt such a tutorial. Fantastic structures were created, but the necessary RPG systems were left out.

@Crazy Programmer -
Indeed

@Seppuku Arts -
Too bad, I'll be there too late. Would have been cool to have bumped into someone from here

Quote: "Well, I suppose it's always good to get as much 'research' as possible off of the taxes, you're truly a visionary."

I'm a professional bum, it's what I do

@Deagle -
I did, I've replied to you now.

@greenlig -
Quote: "@ Sepp -Ich kanne viel Bier trinken. I think... Ein bleitstift commst aus meine aschloch?"

Goodness. I'll probably sound like that after I get some German beer in me

@Alpha x -
Wow. They are all awesome. Since you're Colombian you undoubtedly have more discriminating taste than me, but to me they all look perfectly magical

I'm changing the game - instead of 'Geisha House' it's 'Columbia House'

@Game King -
You win again

Come see the WIP!
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 18:49
Okay thats good Because me may change hoster.. So we get faster speed on wiki.. not sure tough.

[center]
DarkBIBLE Wikipedia for TGC Users!
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 19:24
@ Cash:

Quote: "Wow. They are all awesome. Since you're Colombian you undoubtedly have more discriminating taste than me, but to me they all look perfectly magical "

Glad to hear that! .We have many beatiful women in Colombia.

Quote: "I'm changing the game - instead of 'Geisha House' it's 'Columbia House' "

In life all is possible .
Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2007 08:42
Nice progress

I likes the new name

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2007 16:35 Edited at: 26th Jul 2007 16:35
@ cash:

Hi cash, dont forget to put secrets, secrets are wonderful specially in RPG's (like secret escenes, weapons or bosses)
Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2007 22:29
I agree with Alfa x. Secret bosses, weapons, and armor would be awwwsoommeee

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2007 01:13
Quote: "Hi cash, dont forget to put secrets, secrets are wonderful specially in RPG's (like secret escenes, weapons or bosses)"

What like? That Cash real name is Mandy and that he likes long walks on the beach? I'm sure players would prefer more relevant information

Hakuna Matata
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hi cash, dont forget to put secrets, secrets are wonderful specially in RPG's (like secret escenes, weapons or bosses) "
If I can remember i said that ages ago.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2007 21:37
This looks great!
I'm making a 2D game that has a lot in common with this, so I'll be keeping a close eye on it.
Mine is set in a medieval Europe type continent called "Annom", its a quest game where you go from town to town fighting your enemies.
It has it's own thread on the DBC board, Community Project.

Quote: "Will his armour be changeable? Like through buying new armour or looting corpses."

In my game you will :p

I am King of the noobs!
el zilcho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2007 00:04 Edited at: 28th Jul 2007 00:05
Quote: "This looks great!
I'm making a 2D game that has a lot in common with this, so I'll be keeping a close eye on it.
Mine is set in a medieval Europe type continent called "Annom", its a quest game where you go from town to town fighting your enemies.
It has it's own thread on the DBC board, Community Project."

that was a bit of a shameless plug.

Quote: "[quote]Quote: "Will his armour be changeable? Like through buying new armour or looting corpses."
In my game you will :p"
[/quote]

well, he didn't ask about your game did he? so.. save it for your own thread eh?
Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2007 01:15
@OBese87
That is probably under the category of "thread hi-jacking". please do not advertise your game in others threads unless its part of your sig.

Thanks

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2007 19:35
Very busy lately, I moved out of my house and I'm in the hotel now. I still have homework to do for tomorrow

Don't worry, there will be secrets in the game. Fabulous secrets that I can't tell to the ratings board

@OBese87 -
Quote: "This looks great!"

Thanks...

Quote: "I'm making a 2D game that has a lot in common with this, so I'll be keeping a close eye on it."

Like what? They both require a PC?

Quote: "Mine is set in a medieval Europe type continent called "Annom", its a quest game where you go from town to town fighting your enemies."

That description has nothing to do with Geisha House. It's utterly generic and describes a game engine more than a game.

Quote: "It has it's own thread on the DBC board, Community Project."

That's nice...

Quote: "In my game you will :p"

Listen, you don't have a game. You have a request for help to make a vague game idea that you have. There's no progress, no programming, no story, nothing to constitute a game at this point. Coming into my thread to advertise your idea is inconsiderate. Stick with your own thread please.

Quote: "Will his armour be changeable? Like through buying new armour or looting corpses"

His weapon and shield are changeable, as well as his helm. His armor is not though. Perhaps in the next version, once the engine is done. Then I'll be able to focus more on the game itself then I've been able to.

Of course you'll be able to loot corpses Also, when an enemy dies, they drop their weapon and shield and you can pick it up. Of course, you can see all of that happening in the videos.

Thanks guys. I'm off to do some work

Come see the WIP!
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2007 20:39
Great stuff so far Cash. This game gets better and better by the second.

I was wondering, though, that you said you can change the weapon, shield, and helmet.

Now If I'm not mistaken, you use MilkShape 3D.

Im in the process of the character creation portion of my mmo... so I was thinking...

Do you just place the main joint of the weapon at a certain spot, then place a joint in the hand... and position the weapon at the joint in the hand?

That is the system I had in mind. Same goes for the helmet. Do you place it at a joint in the head?

Sorry for all the questions, just wondering.

Anyways, keep up this great work. I can't wait to see the day where this game finishes and you make some big bucks

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2007 19:04
Is it just me, or is the forum not wrapping the words in this thread correctly?

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2007 19:07 Edited at: 31st Jul 2007 07:55
It is doing that because Alpha X posted this:

Quote: "long url!"

Visit the Wip!
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2007 20:55 Edited at: 30th Jul 2007 20:57
I think Obese87 sig pretty sums him up a king...Of the really badly annoying noobs. -(Ps.I really mean it just because i done this doesn't mean i was joking.)

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2007 01:57
@Xenocythe -
Quote: "Great stuff so far Cash. This game gets better and better by the second."

Thanks!

Quote: "Now If I'm not mistaken, you use MilkShape 3D."

That is true. I also use Ultimate Unwrap 3D. The two together are great.

Quote: "Do you just place the main joint of the weapon at a certain spot, then place a joint in the hand... and position the weapon at the joint in the hand?"

Yes, that's what I'm doing. It places that weapon's origin on the origin of that particular limb. It will take some tweaking. It really helps if all of your models have similar weapon placement limbs, else you'll be coding around lots of stuff.

Quote: "That is the system I had in mind. Same goes for the helmet. Do you place it at a joint in the head?"

Yep.

Quote: "Sorry for all the questions, just wondering.
Anyways, keep up this great work. I can't wait to see the day where this game finishes and you make some big bucks"

I doubt there will be any big bucks involved, but I sure appreciate the thought and the interest

@AlphaX -
Hey, can you edit out the last link that Alquerian pointed out? It's just causing the text not to wrap in this thread. The direct link for that picture is here...

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8272/19cy1.jpg

Thanks

@Alquerian -
Thanks for catching that. I didn't suspect that was the cause, but it is one big line of text so it makes sense now.

@Deathead -
Perhaps

Come see the WIP!
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2007 06:22 Edited at: 31st Jul 2007 06:22
@ Cash: Who would think miss Colombia would distract the forum wrapping
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2007 06:47
You gonna edit it out, or what?

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2007 06:53
Lol, now it's Alquerian's pointing out that is screwing up...

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2007 07:55
Haha I knew that was going to happen, I fixed it

Visit the Wip!
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
@cash- Great so far. About the armor thing that you can't change it what about only having 2 armors the original one and the new one??? Just really wandering.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2007 18:45
@Alpha x -
Quote: "@ Cash: Who would think miss Colombia would distract the forum wrapping"

It makes perfect sense. If Miss Colombia walked into the room I would totally forget was text even was. Internet Explorer apparently felt the same way

@Deathead -
Quote: "@cash- Great so far. About the armor thing that you can't change it what about only having 2 armors the original one and the new one??? Just really wandering."

I don't think that this is something that I want to do. If I did do something like this, it would probably involve changing the texture for the player when you switched armor. That would introduce the problem of having a player with no armor on at all. Or, I could just make it magically change, but that would come across as fake and cheap.

Besides, Walker is the Captain of the Guard. His armor was custom made for him. It's not only stylish, but it's awesome as well.

@Alquerian -
Haha

Come see the WIP!
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2007 20:24 Edited at: 31st Jul 2007 20:24
Oh okay Cash Curtis II. Didn't know it was custom made.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 03:47
I think Miss Columbia should make a cameo in GH, just by the number of posts about her.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, in the place where the captian gets made captain you see Miss Columbia being crowned for Miss Columbia

Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
hey cash, i havent been able to go on msn or do anything else for a while, i finished the greensleaves song, i dont know if you got my message. i have also finished another song. let me know what you think about it next when you see me on msn

oh praise the lord, praise furry jesus
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 18:31
Great work Cash, now that I've been following Geisha House this long I'm going to have to buy it. Any chance of a Beta coming soon?

I think Miss Columbia should be put in Geisha House as an easter egg.

Quote: "What's your brick wall? Maybe I can offer a few ideas to get you past it. Nothing is a brick wall, the worse it can be is massively inconvenient. There are plenty of ways to get around a brick wall, after all"

My brick wall is that entities are so complicated I don't understand the code myself very much. They can walk, run, jump, fall, swim, surface swim, (and many more are coming) and all of the actions have to work perfectly together. I have too much data, object ids, entity names, object scale, entity health, entity template number, walk speed, jump height, jump stamina, max swim speed, swim acceleration speed, terminal velocity, swimming terminal velocity, vertical momentum, countdown to next jump, the list goes on and on. It's just a big mess, really.

This sig has been viewed times.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 19:29 Edited at: 1st Aug 2007 19:30
@Deathead -
Quote: "Oh okay Cash Curtis II. Didn't know it was custom made."

This takes place before any industrial infrastructure was even envisioned. Armor like this would definitely need to be custom made.

In the interest of gameplay though it wouldn't really matter. I'd be happy to allow Walker to wear any armor he found, whether or not it would theoretically fit. In most cases, I imagine that it wouldn't. However, the main thing here to consider is that the armor is part of the character. I designed him that way (and Psionic modeled him that way) for maximum efficiency and aesthetics.

If I can establish some sort of mini franchise with this game then I'll definitely allow armor changing in the next version. For now it just isn't practical.

Quote: "Yeah, in the place where the captian gets made captain you see Miss Columbia being crowned for Miss Columbia"

Haha, excellent idea Although, if they're happening at the same time then it would undercut the importance of each ceremony. Perhaps she can be the queen. And of course, Walker would be in trouble because if she were then they'd have hooked up. Drama, I tell you

@Dr Manette -
Quote: "I think Miss Columbia should make a cameo in GH, just by the number of posts about her."

She really should. I don't know if I could do her justice without a custom model though. Definitely something to consider

@Lucifer -
I don't have my computer right now. I'm using the cruddy hotel computer. Can you Gmail me the links? I'm excited to hear them

@Code Dragon -
Quote: "Great work Cash, now that I've been following Geisha House this long I'm going to have to buy it. Any chance of a Beta coming soon?"

It makes me happy to hear that you guys are so interested in this that you'd really be willing to pay for it I do this because I like it, but you can't justify a hobby like this that requires so much time and money unless you can make some sort of return from it. Thanks to your support that is actually possible.

There will definitely be a Beta. I'll be testing for compatibility across different spec systems. Most importantly, I'll be testing for compatibility across Intel and AMD systems. I've seen some problems arise already concerning floating point math and I certainly hope to squash this with everyone's help.

Quote: "I think Miss Columbia should be put in Geisha House as an easter egg."

I'll definitely have to include her. To what extent I'm not totally sure yet. We'll see

Quote: "My brick wall is that entities are so complicated I don't understand the code myself very much. They can walk, run, jump, fall, swim, surface swim, (and many more are coming) and all of the actions have to work perfectly together. I have too much data, object ids, entity names, object scale, entity health, entity template number, walk speed, jump height, jump stamina, max swim speed, swim acceleration speed, terminal velocity, swimming terminal velocity, vertical momentum, countdown to next jump, the list goes on and on. It's just a big mess, really."

I definitely feel and understand your pain. It grows quickly and wildly and if the pieces aren't built precisely to fit together then they'll just fall apart.

First of all, are you using Dark AI? If you aren't, your AI routines should be handled in the same way. That would mean essentially you'd have to buy Dark AI to study it. If you do that then you'd might as well use it anyway. It has taught me so much about AI. One day when I create my own system from scratch it will be modeled totally after Dark AI.

Dark AI's strength is that it handles all of the general details of a character. All you have to handle are the specifics. The first thing to consider are the AI priorities. Naturally at the bottom of the list are all of the general behaviors such as walking, attacking, avoiding, etc. At the top are game essential behaviors, such as dying, impact, talking, etc.

Dying has a higher priority than walking. If the character is in the process of dying then you animate it dying and skip all of the lower priority behaviors. If he's impacted but not dying then you animated the impact and skip everything below it. I've set everything up as a prioritized AI list.

Quote: "ids, entity names, object scale, entity health, entity template number, walk speed, jump height, jump stamina, max swim speed, swim acceleration speed, terminal velocity, swimming terminal velocity, vertical momentum, countdown to next jump"

Is it your variable handling that's causing you problems? If you're not using them already, you should be using UDT arrays to store everything. For example...

Every character is just part of an array with all of its own unique attributes. It makes organizing all of the information fairly easy.

Also, use LUA Unity (or Barneski's free plugin). LUA is extremely powerful. All of my scripts are done with LUA. In addition, for advanced data structures that DBP is not capable of I use LUA (UDT arrays, array sorting by name, dynamic array creation). Some things that I do in GH just wouldn't be possible without it. At least, they wouldn't be possible without large cryptic workarounds.

You might be doing all of that already. I guess the main thing to do is to plan ahead. In a large project it's important to make everything work together.

Come see the WIP!
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Can you Gmail me the links?"

i sent you an email with the link a few minutes ago

oh praise the lord, praise furry jesus
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2007 14:29 Edited at: 24th Aug 2007 17:44
Quote: "If you're not using them already, you should be using UDT arrays to store everything."

My current system is a dynamic UDT array of entities, and a dynamic array for templates. I think my data management is pretty good, it's the actual code that's been giving me problems. I haven't been using Dark AI, but I will probably buy it sometime. Thanks for explaining the prioritized list, implementing something like that should help.

This is what my code looks like right now:

I rewrote the whole function and everything's working fine now.

Thanks for mentioning LUA also, it looks like it will be able to help me with structured save files.

Also, in the first page of this thread you said,

Quote: "I also have enabled a fullscreen exclusive mode that won't crash when you switch windows."

Is there an easy way to do that? Everything gets deleted when switching back to the game window, which is not very convienent. Thanks for your help.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2007 12:28
Hey dude, how's this going?

Quote: "Every character is just part of an array with all of its own unique attributes. It makes organizing all of the information fairly easy.

Also, use LUA Unity (or Barneski's free plugin). LUA is extremely powerful. All of my scripts are done with LUA. In addition, for advanced data structures that DBP is not capable of I use LUA (UDT arrays, array sorting by name, dynamic array creation). Some things that I do in GH just wouldn't be possible without it. At least, they wouldn't be possible without large cryptic workarounds."

Much agreed, I've been using Barnski's myself and LUA is extremely helpful and really tidies up code and makes things quicker and more convenient.

On your moving to Germany, all I can say is, you're a lucky man and you'll love it there, cheap prices, friendly/relax people, sure certain laws are strict (that's a good thing IMO, especially on the laws England is a bit lax on that I think should be strict, particularly the road ones), but just coming back from there has got me thinking you're a lucky man and that you're probably going to like living there.

Hakuna Matata
Mason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 05:54
Just Bumpin this thread so it doesn't get the 30 day lock while he's in Germany (17 pages lost, how depressing )

Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 18:03
I think they did away with that feature? Maybe I'm wrong. I didn't realize cash was on vacation, I thought he gave up

Looking forward to his return.

Current Project: Blastwave Saga
Completion: 33% (give or take a percentage)
Jeff Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2007 15:55
Not on vacation. Relocating from Okinawa to Germany I think.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2007 11:33
Quote: "I thought he gave up"

Blasphemy!! I'm here in Germany now, but I'm stuck in a hotel with no Internet access. How lame. Even the Day's Inn in Texas had Internet.

Germany is lovely. Cold though, and it's still August. Our house is a mansion compared to our Japanese house - 8 bedrooms, 2 kitchens, 5 bathrooms, and a finished basement, not to mention a football field sized yard. And it's right in the middle of a perfect German village, not some crappy American housing subdivision.

My computer probably won't be here until October unfortunately. I was really hoping to have the game done before the convention, but at this point it just looks like I'll be able to show off the tech demo there. I'll probably start working toward that, maybe just a mini adventure in the game.

I've got to run, but I'll be around. Thanks for the support everyone!

Come see the WIP!
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2007 14:36 Edited at: 29th Aug 2007 16:52
error
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2007 14:36
@ cash:
Quote: "Our house is a mansion compared to our Japanese house - 8 bedrooms, 2 kitchens, 5 bathrooms, and a finished basement, not to mention a football field sized yard. And it's right in the middle of a perfect German village, not some crappy American housing subdivision.
"

Wow!, thats huge. In wich thing do you work?, i'm hoping to have a house like that someday.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2007 16:24 Edited at: 29th Aug 2007 16:26
Quote: "Germany is lovely. Cold though, and it's still August. Our house is a mansion compared to our Japanese house - 8 bedrooms, 2 kitchens, 5 bathrooms, and a finished basement, not to mention a football field sized yard. And it's right in the middle of a perfect German village, not some crappy American housing subdivision."

[insert decent shocked emoticon]

How much did that thing cost my man? I know Germany's a lot cheaper than Japan or Merry ol' England. Plus it's a lovely country itself, though there is no speed limit on the AutoBahn - which is cool, when I was the at the beginning of the month we got to our hotel in Hamburg from Wacken in 20 minutes (60- 80km roughly) because our taxi driver basically slammed the accelerator on. The driving laws there are more strict which makes me happy and it is very clean. So er yeah the price, Germany is one of the places I'm certain contemplating on moving to when I get a good amount of money (or if I'm not going to be as successful as I hope to be in life, make it a place to retire to)

Congrats on getting such a big'n

[Edit]

So I take it you're going to rename the game Goth House, Saxon House or even Deutsch House?

Hakuna Matata
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2007 16:54
Quote: "Congrats on getting such a big'n "

Yeah! congrats!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-25 06:55:00
Your offset time is: 2024-05-25 06:55:00