Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / RPG - Geisha House. Image intensive!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2007 00:58
I don't own DarkPhysics (and I assume this is what you're talking about), but can you explain this problem that you are having? I'm curious about what you mean when you say "release an object from DP's grasp".

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2007 02:50
@Diggsey -
Thanks! I'll test that out as soon as I get a chance. Wish I had that a couple weeks earlier

@Inspire -
When you use Dark Physics, you turn objects into 'rigid bodies'. You tell Dark Physics what shape you'd like to treat the object as (a box, a sphere, a convex shape, etc). Dark Physics then takes control of the object. The object will fall, collide, etc. off of other physics bodies as it might in real life. You can't position the object anymore, all you can do is apply forces to it to make it move a certain direction.

You are supposed to be able to turn control of the object back over to Dark Basic. That is, stop Dark Physics from moving the object on its own and allow you to position it as you like. It only partially works though - Dark Basic is controlling the object, but the visual representation of the object stays stuck to the last place that Dark Physics positioned it.

In Geisha House you can drag objects around on the ground. They belong to Dark Physics until you put it in your pack or arm it as a weapon. Then I delete the rigid body and stick it in the appropriate container. The bug prevented that from working correctly.

@Everyone -
I'm a madman! With the DP bug out of the way, I'm making great progress in other areas. I've got the cloth and the water working just right. Before the cloth wasn't colliding with the player and if a building contained water in an upper story (a tub or pool) players couldn't enter a lower building due to the collision body. Fixed and fixed. Geisha House was pretty broken after the first ControlBox recode (characters) and the Dark Physics bug forced the second ControlBox recode (items). Now I've got to fix a problem with NPC jobs that was going to be very difficult before the item system overhaul but now will be a snap.

Come see the WIP!
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2007 03:31
Thanks for explaining that to me, Cash.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2007 13:36 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2007 12:08
Small update - cloth works, cloth culling works, the building-water collision thing has been fixed. I've added normal map support to more things, like doors. I also UV mapped all the doors, previously they were 3DWS models that used multiple textures. Things to do now:

Add item transformation (with the new item system it will be very easy)
Add locked doors, keys, switches
Finish the flag system
Finish the schedule system
Add items to NPC and animal corpses (like meat, for an animal)

Since everything has been fixed, that will be it. Hopefully I can finish that stuff quickly so I can have more time to work on the demo game.

In the interest of time, does anyone want to do some modeling for the game? Simple stuff, like a couple keys, an animated lever, a rack of ribs (meat). It would sure help me out. Switching from coding to media preparation tends to slow things down. Thanks!!

Come see the WIP!
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 11:31
I'll give it a shot. I'm still learning so this'll be a good way to learn more. If you don't like the end product then that is fine; I'll understand!

KYP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 20:34
I could give it a shot. I'm not the best modeler, but you never know, I might produce something good.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 03:13
I'll do you some keys. What sort of style would you like them... Post a reference image.

It's looking great by the way. Magic inventory looks sharp!

I hardly dare to post a criticism in what appears to be such a hallowed thread, but perhaps the turn speed of the wolf could be a little quicker? He seemed to take a long time to rotate in the latest video..

Other than that, it looks superb dude.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 12:12 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2007 16:49
Thanks guys! Here are some reference images...

A couple keys. Eventually I'll get all of them made, but for now two will do. I like the very bottom key and the dark, plain looking one. You can use transparency for the holes.

A steak, raw and cooked. The exact same model is cool, only different textues are necessary.

A rack of ribs, once again one raw and one cooked.

An empty plate and a plate of food. The food doesn't need much detail at all, but it should not share vertices with the plate. They should be different groups as well. The detail will be accomplished with the texture.

The wolf does look slow. It kind of looks like he's running on a treadmill as well. I'll speed him up.

[Edit]
Update time - I've added a game clock and day/night cycles. It isn't quite as smooth as I'd like, it progresses in 30 game minute increments (1 game minute=1 second) so you notice each time it does it. I'll smooth it out.

I've also fixed the item transformation system. This is for changing one item into another, like if you cook food or a bar maid fills a mug of beer. I found the old bug that made it not work, but I had the whole new item system to integrate so it's quite different. And better.

Next I'll marry up NPC schedules to the time of day. Right now they do the same thing all day, but it's easy enough to add in.

Left to do:
Add locked doors, keys, switches (I need my keys guys! )
Finish the flag system
Finish the schedule system - integrate time
Add items to NPC and animal corpses (like meat, for an animal)

Work continues!

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 18:10 Edited at: 24th Oct 2007 16:39
Well I've struggled with using the reference image you gave as a texture but it is too low quality so either I'll have to make one from scratch or find a better reference. I got this far before giving up due to how much the image was being stretched!
[Edit]Pic removed to stop taking up Cash's page![/Edit]

Attachments

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 18:54
Quote: "a rack of ribs (meat)."

Heh, I actually just started photographing meat from the deli. I am doing the same thing. I don't know if I will have time to get to it in your time-frame, so I cannot promise if I can or not.

I uploaded some more free images for use on my site if you are interested. Here is the link to the rest of the free media:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=116697&b=1

Hope to see an update soon

Support the indi!
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 19:22
If you ask me, that key looks good enough for something that small.

Nevertheless, sounds like very good progress, Cash . Keep it up!

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 19:39 Edited at: 24th Oct 2007 16:39
Thanks tha_rami! Its the first model I've ever textured that isn't a box! Lol! Well I finished it if only for practise so if you want it (Cash Curtis II) then let me know and I'll send it to you/upload it.
[Edit]Pic removed to stop taking up Cash's page![/Edit]

Attachments

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 23:53 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2007 23:54
@TEH_CODERER -
That key looks awesome. It looks like it's a little too high poly though. How many is it? It's going to be rather small, probably the size of the character's hand so the details won't show up. It would save some polygons to leave the hole out and use an alpha map. However, the hole is cool if the key is low poly with it anyway. You could weld the vertices on the inside of the hole and since it's so small the loss of that hard edge wouldn't matter a bit. You could probably get away with it on other parts of the key as well. Like this, on the right...

Like I said, it looks fantastic. I'd definitely like to see it.

@Alquerian -
Very, very nice. I can't download them yet but I definitely will as soon as I can. That would be awesome if you did the ribs, especially with some good reference images.

@tha_rami -
Thanks, more to come soon!

Okay, fixed day/night cycle. Smooth as silk now.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2007 01:36 Edited at: 24th Oct 2007 16:39
Thanks! Well that is a good start to my modeling/texturing efforts then! Lol! Its 196 polys at the moment so I'll try taking it down as much as possible if you want.

[Edit]I've tried to get rid of the texture seams as much as possible but, as I mentioned, this is my first texture job so it isn't great! I'll post the key as it is at the moment with the next post. If 196 polys is too many then please say and I'll try and shrink it.

[/Edit]

Attachments

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2007 04:04 Edited at: 24th Oct 2007 04:14
Alright Cash - I modeled the steak, not a big deal. I am working on texturing it and registering MilkShape as we speak. I will try to do the Ribs as soon as I can.

Edit:
I figured the texture thingy out here it is, let me know if it should work for your needs, should be about 52 poly.

Support the indi!
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2007 16:41 Edited at: 25th Oct 2007 18:53
Here is the model in .x format. However, Lithunwrap messed up the normals so the code I was using to load it in DarkBASIC looks like this.

load object "key.x",1
set object texture 1,2,1
set object filter 1,2
set object normals 1
set object smoothing 1,100

[Edit]Removed download so that only Cash Curtis II can use the model.[/Edit]

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2007 05:29
@TEH_CODERER - The key looks great, I'm going to use it

@Alquerian - The steak is right on the money. As soon as you send it over I can add it to the game.

Come see the WIP!
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2007 11:52
Yay! Thanks! Hopefully I'll get better as I practise more.

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2007 18:14 Edited at: 25th Oct 2007 18:15
Quote: "Yay! Thanks! Hopefully I'll get better as I practise more."

Hah! Ditto. I think that piece of meat is my first model I have ever done for someone else, and it was definitely the first one I have done in Milkshape. I think I am hooked though, I spent yesterday making models, I made 4 different beds and 2 tables, all medieval themed

I quite like Milkshape, it is easy to learn, no frills, and to the point.

@Cash- Check the GMail, I sent you the model over. I am not sure when I can get around to making more. I am going to Portland this weekend, but I might go meat shopping when I get back.

Support the indi!
Deagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2007 10:39
Ah, i see your in business again, Cash
So... Are you still in need for some furniture/any kind of models?
As im in need for some little cash
(have to buy a domain name for my uo-shard's website )

Deagle aka D-Eagle
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2007 23:19
Cash, you need a new character - Eric the Barman. He would be an older guy with a beard, would only sell Tetley's, and have hundred of stories - you would get a different one every time you spoke to him. He would also talk about the colonies quite a lot

(Convention joke)

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 00:00
Hi Cash,
Hope you got back to Germany OK. It was good to meet you this weekend and I have to say that Geisha House looks even more fantastic now that I have seen it running.

As for Eric the Barman ... he would be the perfect character for you. Shame we didn't think of it before we left, we could have taken reference images

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 13:09 Edited at: 29th Oct 2007 13:09
I can't believe that we didn't think of Eric the Barman at the convention! That's so perfect I absolutely have to do it.

No problems getting back to Germany. Almost. In the Leeds airport I dropped my camera. I then turned it on and took a picture. That turned into a major security issue. The most absurd thing is the picture that I took had a red sign in it that said 'No photography allowed'. It never occurred to me that you couldn't use a camera past security.

It was great to actually meet you guys. I enjoyed the convention and came back with lots of great ideas. I'm glad that you liked Geisha House. I was really worried that it would have some kind of terrible, unpredictable problem. It didn't work with Vista (some type of mutex I suspect), but I'll work on that. It actually ran faster on Steve's laptop than it does on my desktop. It should do just fine for everyone.

One thing that I'm going to do is to make a water editor similar to Ravey's spline road editor. It's absolutely perfect and low poly. Combined with an idea that Green Gandalf gave me about normal mapping it should look fantastic.

Come see the WIP!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 15:24
I never considered splines for water - that would be fantastic! Drop a few waypoints down the path of your river, and away you go. One issue could be the direction of the texture though - would it just skew along one axis, or follow the spline path?

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 15:46
Hi Cash,
Glad you got back ok. Look forward to trying the demo. What I saw looked great a the convetion.

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 15:59
@BatVink -
Quote: "One issue could be the direction of the texture though - would it just skew along one axis, or follow the spline path?"

Since the vertices of each separate plain would meet up, the texture would basically follow the spline path because the shapes of the plains follow it. It would be exactly like his road, each piece is textured all on it's own, except that they would be animated textures. With transparency. And hopefully normal mapping, I'm having trouble with it for some reason.

@jasuk70 -
Thanks! I can't wait to get the demo out, I've been promising one forever now.

Come see the WIP!
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2007 22:54
I just want to see the rest of that hot Geisha in the Pic!

KYP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2007 23:32
I thought Geisha was the main character

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2007 23:46
she might be - she is just a very good looking main character

Cash Curtis has done a great job period.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2007 02:27 Edited at: 4th Nov 2007 02:27
@KYP -
Quote: "I thought Geisha was the main character"

Nope, sorry. It is a strong element in the game. Watch some of the videos and you'll see the main character.

http://www.youtube.com/cashcurtis

@jason p sage -
Thanks You can see more of Ms. Geisha on page 1 of this thread.

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I have been hard at work, making the wife plenty angry about it - even with Ravey's revelation during the convention (Scraggle knows what I'm talking about. Lee might, but more likely he doesn't remember much of anything).

Right now I'm still sorting out the wondrous things that came about as a result of the convention. With the ability to exclude limbs I can have huge dungeon levels in the game. I'd originally planned on such a thing but gave up the idea during development. Now I've got some locations that will really dazzle.

In conjunction with this I've been working closely with Green Gandalf to apply bumpmapping to the buildings/dungeons. The results are just gorgeous. Even better, they're fast compared to any other bumpmapping method I've ever seen. And it's compatible with my lightmaps.

Next is the ability to cycle through objects that are on screen. Before I had to cycle through every single game entity to find out what was on screen. Now I have instant access to the master render list.

These represent big changes to the engine. In order to take advantage of these speed boosts I'm going to have to make some major changes. I'm very excited about it though - I'll be able to squeeze more into the game than I could have before.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2007 03:00 Edited at: 4th Nov 2007 03:12
Quote: "Thanks You can see more of Ms. Geisha on page 1 of this thread."

Its not enough!

Your post is very encouraging! Exclude Limbs now eh? I wonder if this will work in DarkGDK? I've spent a bit on Iron Infantry so far myself - know what you meant in that other thread about mmo's RPG's etc - I totally think you're dead on. And I hope your project is the first - why not? You've been WAY deep in this for a long time! I'm routing for you!

[edit]Videos look good on you tube

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2007 11:00
Excluding LIMBS!??? How!?

With plugin or wtf? I really want to know this

[center]

Click for details!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2007 16:18
Sounds and looks great .

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2007 17:37
hi all,
I want to know not only about the limbs,
i want to know about the bumbmaping with light mapping and the master render list.

this is great.
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2007 04:31
Cash- First things first, grr at you for living in a rustic beautiful german village, grrr. Okay, happy to hear that your game is improving and you're squeezing in more to it..makes it that much better, are you making the move to DGDK, if so that should bump up your speed significantly. Good luck, I'd help ya on this but I don't know what I can do but give support!

Zombie

Dr. Mannete- OMG It's Zombie's voice, it's so Suave!

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2007 22:32
Quote: "hi all,
I want to know not only about the limbs,
i want to know about the bumbmaping with light mapping and the master render list.

this is great."

Please?

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2007 00:11
yeah,
please!!. I was very excited that forgot.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2007 02:18
@jason p sage -
Quote: "Its not enough!"

I know. There will be more in the game, don't worry

Quote: "Your post is very encouraging! Exclude Limbs now eh? I wonder if this will work in DarkGDK?"

Eventually it will. I doubt it will take all that long really.

Quote: "know what you meant in that other thread about mmo's RPG's etc - I totally think you're dead on."

Thanks, I feel that to be true but when others agree you know you're not too far off the mark.

Quote: "I'm routing for you!
[edit]Videos look good on you tube "

Hey, I always appreciate support. I'm glad you liked the videos too!

@Roxas -
Quote: "Excluding LIMBS!??? How!?"

I'm beta testing the next version of DBP. It will be out soon and has a few cool additions.

@Gil Galvanti -
Thank you

@Alfa x -
Quote: "i want to know about the bumbmaping with light mapping and the master render list."

Like I said, the light map bump mapping is thanks to Green Gandalf. When the shader is done he's going to post it with a demo. We're just experimenting with some features. The master render list is another feature of the upcoming update.

@Zombie 20 -
Quote: "Cash- First things first, grr at you for living in a rustic beautiful german village, grrr."

Quote: "Good luck, I'd help ya on this but I don't know what I can do but give support!"

Support is what I need - it means that I'm suceeding I plan to move to DGDK on version #2 of the engine.

Come see the WIP!
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm beta testing the next version of DBP. It will be out soon and has a few cool additions.
"

Lucky... Sounds great though! Can't wait

Warning: Please be advised. Geek Culture is under lockdown. All mods are set to Indi mode. Any and all topics WILL BE LOCKED. Post at your own risk!
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2007 04:04
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2007 14:30
@Cash Curtis II

Dang you are lucky guy! Can you please list some very useful and great additions?
Also cant wait for the limb excluding, Finally we can make better culling (tough polygon culling would still beat it )..

[center]

Click for details!
X Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 23:33
Your stuff looks great, this would work good with my castle pack!

Coming Soon!
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 07:02
My Internet has been down lately on my desktop so I haven't been able to post any good progress, but it's about time for an update.

When I showed the game off at the convention there were a few obvious issues that needed attention. I'm steadily improving things, trying to get it ready for a public demo.

There was an issue with arming the spellbook - if you dropped the sword from your sheath the spellbook would attach itself to the sheath. Fixed. The phantom sword-from-the-sheath thing is fixed as well.

There was no empty handed fighting, a weapon was required. That's been fixed, along with a few other weapon system things. The hand to hand combat has nice accompanying sounds, including when you punch a shield or a wall

Some exploding structures have been fixed, the forceful explosion is now optional. Before if you destroyed a structure it would ALWAYS knock you down.

Fixed the dust particle z-sorting issue when you slide down a hill that's too steep. I just replaced it with an FPSC dust decal, looks great.

Other various improvements and updates...

Another thing that I've been working on between compiles is game media. Can't have a game without the proper media, and it's definitely time to get it all together. Getting FPSC at the convention was a fantastic thing - I'm going to use every bit of media possible in GH, especially characters. I bought Model Pack 4, which is just amazing. A fantastic value, and better than the Dark Matter models. bond1 doesn't know it yet but he's helping with Geisha House - I've rerigged his shopkeeper character to be.... you guessed it... a shopkeeper. Minus the shotgun of course.

I also rerigged the FPSC stock thug character. With some texture variations he'll be perfect. I'm also considering using the FPSC editor to create my dungeons. With the right segments it could look great and be a snap to create, not to mention the advantages that using that Static Object commands with portals. They just happen to be the scale that I'm using already so it won't be difficult to implement.

I bought another model from the folks over at Realmcrafter. I'd never get caught dead using RC, but I have nothing against their media. This one is a ship. Now, I could have modeled it myself or gotten one of the good people here to do it, but there's no sense in doing something that's already done.

It's a nice model. It's how Walker gets to Marauder's Bay, and it will be anchored at the dock.

There are a couple characters I need that just aren't available as stock media. I posted over here in 3D chat if anyone is interested...

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=117687&b=3

They don't need to be animated, I'll take care of that myself. The specifics are in that thread.

I've got a list of things that are necessary for a demo to be released, we'll see how it goes. I'll try and get some in game shots of the new media, I would already but like I said I'm not at my computer right now.

Later!

Come see the WIP!
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 07:14
Just one word. Wow.

RIP Max-Tuesday, November 2 2007
You will be dearly missed.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 07:14
I realllllllllllllly can't wait. Seriously.

I also want to see if all the models fit together artistically, seeing as they're from so many sources. I'm trusting you're doing a good job though.

I'd like to note that over the past week my expectations for my game making and others has gone amazingly up, and I now really appreciate all the work being put into the high end projects here. What I mean is it makes a huge difference when I see that someones put some much work into every aspect of their projects. It's very inspiring.

Superman wears Chuck Norris PJ's
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 23:19
I can not wait to see this game finished.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 14:57
@Osiris -
Thanks

@Bizar Guy -
Quote: "I realllllllllllllly can't wait. Seriously."

Thanks, that means that I'm doing a few things right I can't wait either, I'm taking forever...

Quote: "I also want to see if all the models fit together artistically, seeing as they're from so many sources. I'm trusting you're doing a good job though."

This has been part of the challenge of the project. I'm using the same animation rigs for all of the models in the games, so that helps. I'm using a realistic style for the models since this is the most common style used by different artists. I've had to retexture lots of models to match - some were done in a more cartoonish style that would look dumb and mismatched with the other models.

Quote: "What I mean is it makes a huge difference when I see that someones put some much work into every aspect of their projects. It's very inspiring."

I think that this project shows what can happen when you combine dedication with teamwork - I think that it will redefine the concept of a 'team project'. I've benefitted so much by the help that I've gotten, and now as the programming aspect of this draws to a close I'm hoping to draw upon the community more for more help.

Here's the question of the day - who has experience making 3D movies? As part of the public demo I want a short opening movie that sums up the beginning of the story. I'm going to get it professionally narrated and I have a musician that is going to score the film as well. The entire running time would be about one minute. It will take place for the most part on a ship in the ocean with around 8 characters. If you're interested then e-mail me or post here. Thanks!!!

Come see the WIP!
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 15:04
I'm looking forward to seeing your baby in action Cash. Just on the 3D movie, what type of action would be in there? Just general walking/talking, or fighting and stuff?

Zac

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 16:20
I'm going to try and keep it simple. No fighting, mainly walking, talking, and the main character looking fabulous. It sounds kind of lame, but I think that if I made it too complicated I'd never get it done. What I'm hoping to do is take advantage of some impressive cinematography and narration while the ship is sailing. I could make a DBP tech demo of the elements that I desire but it would lack professional cut-scene polish.

Come see the WIP!
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 22:53
Just thought it could do with a logo that is a bit more interesting.

Logo itself:

Signature version:

It has a bit of a more polished look about it than the current one.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 00:02:32
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 00:02:32