Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / -Dream-

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
There is no story in the demo as long as you don't watch the videos.

Keep it up Bizar guy, cant wait till your done.

P.S. DB .2 changes lighting, are you sure that wont be a problem?

Your about to get pwned.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2007 17:19
Don't worry, there was a note on how to achieve the same lighting in the last newsletter and I followed that. In fact, I did a few small things with the lighting now that not everything has it the same.

I apologize for being gone, my entire computer got corrupted, including the entire windows directory, and only by the help of a true wizard was it saved. My comp was in the mail for a while though, so it took a while to get back.

After I get my scheduling worked out and prioritized, I'll start being able to make time to work on Dream. Hopefully I'll get my programming sessions down to a schedule, which will make all of this a lot easier and more organized. So, expect another weeks delay before any updates.

Superman wears Chuck Norris PJ's
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2007 03:56
poop...but...dream...

Dr. Mannete- OMG It's Zombie's voice, it's so Suave!

Chris Ritchie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2007 02:54
Looking good so far Bizar, ya gotta good graphic style going there kinda reminds me of the old Mario 64 game which if you can emulate the gameplay from there ya got a winner on yer hands

Lead programmer ULIDIA
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2007 23:33 Edited at: 11th Nov 2007 01:36
@Zombie 20, don't worry, I'll actually get more done this way, as I'll have a better idea of what I should be doing and when.

@Chris Ritchie, thanks, but so you know this is a PUZZLE game, not a platformer. The gameplay resembles Mario 64 in that it is 3D, the character can jump, and he is wearing red and blue though in the opposite way.

I've finished adding ALL the saves in the game. Now when you go back somewhere you won't get the text you should only see once. Also this means the keys now save. I've also got the time and step saves in, but atm you can't see them and it doesn't matter.

I'm also almost done with all the cut scenes, let alone the last levels, which has not been made yet. Also the two extra story levels, which will be made last.

Edit:

OohHoooHooo! Try and figure out this one!

also, I'm rebuilding my website right now. The current site is still up, but the new one exists under beta. Here's a link for those who wish to see: beta.bizargames.com

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 02:15
Dude. Kel looks totally unlike Kel. Heh. He likes dressing up eh?

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
I think Bizar has made a power-up for it. could be wrong.

[href]http://www.freewebs.com/deatheadstudios/

[/href]
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 07:23
I like very much the new site.
It looks Bizar and very proffesional.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2007 17:51
It's sort of like a power up... it's a secret, and kudos to those who can find it in the game.

Small update, the story is completely finished, with some big twists and turns. There's a story level I'm going to add between the 11th and 12th levels, where there will be a lot of plot advancement. I have had little time to work on Dream, with college and all, but we'll see how things go over the next few weeks. I can't guarantee progress this close to the end of the first semester though.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 21:58
No words...

Guyra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 22:00
Ooh, the dream turns into a nightmare.. Nice.
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 22:46
All those eyes

Looks great

Click For Details!

Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 22:52
No you come to me

Dr. Mannete- OMG It's Zombie's voice, it's so Suave!

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
I love it, it gives a really dramatic feeling.

I used to be Fxgamer
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 06:07
Hehe... I think I know what just happened there.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 20:30
hehe... this scene leads into the next story level, the Woods of Passing...

Just quick post, not an update. Expect one of those between thurs and sun. I been playing Mario Galaxy, and it's basically the best platformer I'd ever played. I miss the ability to dive from 64, but still it's incredible. And every time I thought the camera was about to suck, it turned out it was showing exactly what I needed. I just wish their was a view option, was I sometimes couldn't tell which star paths went where. Anyways, if you haven't played it, do.
This ties into that I'm going through with the Old School reconstruction, and that with windwaker, galaxy, and FLCL as inspiration, I hope to make the best platformer ever to be a sidescroller.

Guyra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 20:36
FLCL as inspiration? Gotta become one crazy game, then! xD
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2007 20:17
I don't want to reveal more than I have in the past, but you wield a guitar... It's probably going to be called Guitar Platformer.

I'm just mentioning here for those who know of it, that Adventure 19 probably won’t be a game anymore. I'm thinking I'm going to move the whole mutiverse it's part of to graphic novels, as in all honesty is suits the idea better. On the brighter side, I've come up with a new set of games revolving around the same universe as Old School (or Guitar Platformer), which more about pure gaming fun than deep story lines. I'm loving some of the ideas of an RPG I'm planning in this new universe, because they revolve around the players being able to build any content for the game that the developers can, making it part of the game (spore style, kinda).

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2007 04:00
No... Adventure... 19?

What did you do to Bizar Guy and who the heck are you?

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2007 09:25
Bizar Guy tried sleeping outside a week ago and was found dead in the morning next to a bottle of empty diet coke. He died of testicular cancer.

And I didn't say no adventure 19. You see, Adventure 19 is heavily related to the comic LAG (which was the original idea for Adventure 19), and is such a large and twisting story that it turned into 3 games. As I began thinking about how I wanted to tell my major story, I realized I should have it all in one form, with the ability to port it to others later. And the thing about comics is everyone can read them, where games depend on your system and with computers how good your comp is, and there's no guarantee that you'll be able to finish. All in all the story is too important to me to make it in any form but the one I'm most well versed in. So you see Adventure 19 will be a comics series now. It will probably take about 6 or 7 comic books to tell, seeing as how long the third game was.

I've also had a reality check. I'm in college and have little time for things like game making if I want to maintain relationships with my friends. This doesn't mean I'm stopping, I'm just managing my time. I'm pretty certain that Old School (or Guitar Platformer) will take at least two years, and after that the next game I've planned if I make it could take a good 3-6. Even if all 3 Adventure 19 games used one engine I built at the beginning, they could easily take 10-15 years, because the world they're in is so large, and the story so complex. And I'd get frustrated with it because I want to be telling the story, not making gameplay to fit it. That was the original reason I made the plans for the original Adventure 19 into the plans for the comic LAG, and it happened with the new one too.

I think that the new approach I'm taking where I make games that are about gaming, will be a lot less stressful and fun, because I'll be making them for fun, and not to fit a rather serious and disturbing story. I showed some people the more normal visuals of the story, and they got pretty freaked out. And I hadn't even told them the story!

Hmm, I'm guessing Dream will freak a number of people out as well, if they get far enough.

That reminds me; rami, did you figure out where the big "Change" in the game is?

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2007 12:06
Quote: "Bizar Guy tried sleeping outside a week ago and was found dead in the morning next to a bottle of empty diet coke. He died of testicular cancer."

Lol! You really hate that diet soda!

Its a shame there is only one of you! Lol! You seem to have so many great ideas but no time to make them all in!

Your signature has been erased by a mod - image max size is 600x120
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2007 16:18 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2007 16:18
I've got an idea, yeah. I'll tell you if I catch you on MSN.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 05:10 Edited at: 24th Nov 2007 05:16
Quote: "Lol! You really hate that diet soda! "

No no! I only drink diet soda! It's everyone else on the forum that seems to think it gives you cancer. In general though, soda is bad for you. Normal soda is even worse than diet, and you really shouldn't drink that much anyways. I prefer Vitamin water when it fits into my budget. I usually drink milk or water.

Quote: "Its a shame there is only one of you! Lol! You seem to have so many great ideas but no time to make them all in!"

Too true. If I even get around to finish making the massive story I've already started, it will probably take me the rest of my working life, which is another reason I want to make it into comics so it can be my career, if I'm lucky.

Quote: "I've got an idea, yeah. I'll tell you if I catch you on MSN."

I set my status to show I'm online. I'll be that way for the next 2-4 hours, and then I should be on most of tomorrow (which for me will probably start in 12 hours)

Well now, I've not been able to spend this thanksgiving with anyone, and have unfortunately spent the past 2 days watching all the Hayao Miyazaki movies. They're amazing, but I really am too busy right now. I'm going to be drawing a bit tonight (some LAG art for a local Art zine), and will probably spend a good deal of tomorrow or Sunday on Dream. I want to model and set up the camera and collision for the Woods of Passing and the final level.

Also, good news! I happen to be taking a class in surreal art, and now I'm going to get a chance to use Dream as a project for it.

And one more thing, while I'm at it. I beat Mario Galaxy. Wow. By far the most amazing platformer ever made. I can't see how Nintendo will top it. For that mater, I can't imagine another platformer doing such a good job with gravity manipulation or world design. And the mini games... I think rolling around on the ball is my favorite. It's really hard, but the way the music plays depending on how you roll and the whole pinball feel to it... And the Toytime Galaxy is my favorite. Best music in the whole game.

Edit: I'm really glad Luigi got a part in the game collecting stars, but they made him out to be such a dope! I think Luigi should be a playable character just like Mario in the next one. In games like Super Mario World I ONLY used Luigi! And in Mario 64 DS, playing as Luigi was pretty cool. And it was really well done because Mario was still the main character, but you had to switch around the characters to beat the game.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 10:25
Okay, I got the "Change" now and jeez - it rocks. Anyone who's going to play this game and figure it out is going to get blown away by it and especially the amount of details of the "Change" - I know I was. The best thing about it is that its so painfully obvious, looking back at it... I should really rectify my Untitled score when you release this game for real.

Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 00:11
how much you charging

Coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee cappacino, JAVA!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 00:27
With the amount of content that is shaping into it, I think $12.97 is too low. I'm probably going with $14.95 or $15.94

demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 01:29 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2007 21:30
Haha I like the price idea.

This looks like a great game; really like the feel of it...

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 02:13
Quote: "I'm probably going with $14.95 or $15.94"

My first post here was that I'd not be buying it. That was back when the game was estimated to cost about $10. After my sneak peek, the demo, the info and the interview for Untitled, I'd pay the $14.95 for it.

I'd not recommend the $15.94 price, it doesn't do anything. While $14.95 sounds 'less than $15', $15.94 sounds both odd and 'more than $15'. It's a delicate psychological border there. A lot of good shareware is sold at $14.99.

Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 03:56
consider me a sale then

Coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee cappacino, JAVA!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 04:30 Edited at: 26th Nov 2007 07:01
yeah, I think $14.95 sound better as well.

again, all price stuff is NOT final.

Edit: thanks demons breath, I didn't see your post before.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 18:44
Sorry for not having any updates right now, and honestly don't expect any until after around dec 10.

In the meantime, here is the first page of what will probably end up being a web comic I draw.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 21:44
Oh crap. I've been moderated!

Looks nice, I like the style.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 21:22
Some are born great, others gather whispers of it in their dreams. Many cannot set what they are either way.

Work on Dream continues, expect regular updates, of a much higher quality.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 12:29
Quote: "Some are born great, others gather whispers of it in their dreams. Many cannot set what they are either way."

Sounds cryptic. You been hit by a heavy object lately, or been in a vague and/or prophetic mood?

Or does it have something to do with the story?

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2007 02:08
Grr...sounds Kingdom Heart-ish to me.

New screenie looks great. This is one of my favorite games being made around here, love games with this style.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 01:00
Quote: "Sounds cryptic. You been hit by a heavy object lately, or been in a vague and/or prophetic mood?

Or does it have something to do with the story?"

Actually I just wanted the first update in a while to sound important.

Quote: "New screenie looks great. This is one of my favorite games being made around here, love games with this style."

Thanks!

UPDATES:

I've been doing massive amounts of work of the story elements of Dream, as really all the gameplay parts are done. There are multiple stories in Dream, and one of them is almost entirely done now, and some of the others are getting there. Most of this progress I can't show or say much about, so I'll pick a few things.

Here's a picture of the sanctuary, which changes with the story. This is its state when you first find it.

And here's a little mystery for you to think about.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 01:17
:o

DEMO NOW!

Click For Details!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 05:07
That second screen, I know what that is.

Shame you're not on MSN a lot anymore.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 05:30
whoops, sorry about that, I forgot to set my status back to online

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 16:35 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2008 19:42
Quote: "DEMO NOW!"

The next demo will come at release time.

I'll be in touch with a copyright lawyer in a few days, because after showing Dream to certain peoples, they called up their friends and got me in thouch with him. so we'll see how that goes.

I done a lot with story elements, none I can say right now, aside from that some of the story parts I did a while ago are getting nifty camera upgrades, and that I've made it so he stops smiling after a certain point in the story. I'll post new screen when I finish the new story level. You might recognise it...

Edit:
I've just got a new update I can atually talk about!!

I've been working on the drowning code for water and lava, because I thought it would be cool if he said (glub) when his head went under the water. This turned into a complete rebuild of the drowning code. Now how it works is that once the water reaches your head, he makes a face like he's holding his breath. Then, if the water gets to the point where it used to kill you, you stop moving and say (glub), and get down like you're crouching. After a moment you drown. It does the same for lava with changed variables, only in lava, your health now decreases constantly if you just sit there. So how does this do anything but change how good it looks? Well, before, if the water was tailing you and you jumped on a spring, the moment you were at drowning point you died, even if you had a spring below you. Now if you do that, as long as you spring out of the water before you drown, you're fine. It makes the levels feel a lot fairer and more fun. Next I'll be working on reducing the gravity of something when it hits the water. Not by much though.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 17:34 Edited at: 4th Jan 2008 17:35
Sorry for the double post, But I have a new vid.

Here's the Drowning Vid!

DROWNING VID

I'd post a high res version, but in all honesty it doesn't look much better. I recorded it at half size in fraps.

Edit: And I'm Re-posting these for the new page.
Here's a picture of the sanctuary, which changes with the story. This is its state when you first find it.

And here's a little mystery for you to think about.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 19:28
Haha, lol at the credits in the movie

Nice stuff!

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 19:37
I love the professional look in this

Click For Details!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 05:16
Thanks guys.

No major updates today, most of my programming time since the last update has gone to the next project, Guitar Platformer. I’m playing Phantom Hourglass, and have seen just how good that kind of control system could be. I got a lot of ideas from it, and am adding them to it. Aside from that I’ve been preparing materials for my web comic, as well as a whole heap of people- related things.

I'm realizing how cinematic Dream has become in a lot of places, and have decided to go all out. After all, I DID build a full camera and scripting system. I mean, I even took the time to manually put together each level’s cameras. So, I'm adding some things like mouth movement when Kel is talking, as well as an intro movie for when you start the game. It will help establish a lot that happens later on, and when people finally figure out what's the story is about they'll really feel good about it. It's like re-reading the beginning of The Gunslinger after you finish the dark tower series, and going "wow". Or when you watch FLCL the second time and realize it actually does make sense. I don't claim that Dream is nearly as awesome as those (it isn't at all), but it is the same idea.

Really now that I actually know the whole story myself and am almost done with the greater part of it, I'm trying to figure out exactly the best way to portray it. It feels weird having planned out so much of the game before I knew almost any of the story, and yet it still all works perfectly, or nearly so. I always do that, and it always feels weird.

...But anyways, here are the things to expect progress on.

-Intro Movie (which obviously I'll show)
-Mouth movement
-Second story level
-final level (I'll at least mention when it's finished and when it's scripted)
-menu polish and completion
-Credits
-Polish of second “eye” scene
-Story bits (which I wont mention, accept to say I’m working on them)
-And whatever else I think of

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 16:26
- Okay.
- Okay.
- Okay.
- Okay.
- Don't overpolish them. They're pretty already!
- I love how your credits looked before!
- Okay.
- Hehe...
- Okay.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 18:45 Edited at: 7th Jan 2008 18:46
Quote: "It feels weird having planned out so much of the game before I knew almost any of the story, and yet it still all works perfectly, or nearly so. I always do that, and it always feels weird."

Agreed.

Anyway, this looks as great as always and I really like the cutscenes in the game. But with all these cutscenes wouldn´t be great if Kel was smoother animated? I think he looks a little stiff while walking/jumping etc.
Or is this already in the works, considering you´re adding mouth movement?

WII number: 8220 5043 6939 7393
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 19:35
I actually like the Block-manish movement Kel has. (Plus we already use it in TGCH, so changing it would be bad )

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 20:15

WII number: 8220 5043 6939 7393
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2008 00:12
Quote: "- Don't overpolish them. They're pretty already!
- I love how your credits looked before!"

-Don't worry about over polish, it just means I'm going to finish the menu and make it feel a bit nicer using it. I want to get more of the free- floating feel it already has
-And the credits aren't done yet! Of course I need to finish them! (you know, get the music timing right and add a few things at the end)

Quote: "Anyway, this looks as great as always and I really like the cutscenes in the game. But with all these cutscenes wouldn´t be great if Kel was smoother animated? I think he looks a little stiff while walking/jumping etc.
Or is this already in the works, considering you´re adding mouth movement?"

I would love smooth movement, if I could give it the same solid feel. There's one problem though- as you know, DBC does not support bone animation. I can't use limb animation, because it would screw up the outline at the joints then. So what happens is each "frame" is a separate model. This works out fine, but it does mean it takes a ton of work to capture and animate everything, not to mention possible slowdown if I have too many objects created at once, even if they're not being used. I want to add some new frames for some of the cut scenes, but I'm having a bit of difficulty at the moment because the computer I modeled Kel on is gone. The rigged model is on my current computer, but the texture information might not have been saved, because when it loads it's not going to find the texture in the proper place. I'll be trying that along with talk animation (which is just another texture), but I can only hope on that one.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 22:53
Small update, I've added mouth movement and a few other facial expressions. I've also added a bit of polish in various areas such as lava deaths and some static stuff, as well as smoothened the transitions in the menu. There are also a number of story thingy's added, including text, camera angles, and some drawn figures. 0_o

Next I'll either work on the intro or the second story level.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 03:28:37
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 03:28:37