Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / -Dream-

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 23:25
Sounds good!

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2008 18:23
Thanks.

Here's a quick VID showing progress on the menu and the talk system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TioHT58MWjs

Superman wears Chuck Norris PJ's
Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2008 18:36
You should consider getting a new 'thunder' sound effect. The one right now sounds like you made it using your mouth... did you?

Thanks BiggAdd!
common people are walking in line.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2008 18:44
yes.

That sound is quite temporary, but as you might guess, replacing it is super low on my list of priorities. That's something to do when I'm bored or at the very end of development.

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2008 18:46 Edited at: 16th Jan 2008 18:46
Sounds good to me (or will towards end of development).

The rest of this is lookin' great.

Thanks BiggAdd!
common people are walking in line.
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2008 22:51
Really good-looking transitions you´ve made there!

WII number: 8220 5043 6939 7393
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2008 20:11
Thanks. I reaized I already had made a really nice camera for the actual game, and just applyied it to the menu.

Here's the first pics of the wip opening. I thought I'd be finished by now, but Web comic making and Nerf Wars got in the way.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2008 22:18
Quote: "So it begins..."

Zachaboo
User Banned
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 05:52 Edited at: 28th Jan 2008 00:59
Im just thinking, If I were to pay for this game there would be some new things added to your game if that would answer your three questions and please answer Bizar [even though this is long].

1. If I were to buy the game I would like there to be 46 levels and that could be possible work if you dont have Dbpro [or that capabilatie is in dbc too that your game is on] like I counted the amount of house on your movie the eye and there were 15 houses why not make three doors for each house, because there has to be something to make since in the houses like in 1408 Bizzare rooms in a hotel room instead why not bizzare dream telporters in each room in each house.

Not only that but I saw a drawing of an enemey[or something elese] in your website? Why not make video about that enemey and make sure theres a puzzle way to kill it by getting a box and smashing it with it or something elese... and make that huge eye a boss that you have to go through a hard puzzle and defeat the eye. And make a comic at the end where Kel wakes up and theres a door that looks like the one in the dream and it opens up and the credits start. Now that im done with that good idea or not... lets discuss the 2nd question

2. if I were to buy this and you were to put the suggestion i've justed talked about in your game 20$

3. Well the play time I would expect would be about at least 32 hours a day and 8 hours would be good .

So there you go my questions and your answers I hope you answer just of what I've said because I don't want you to get bankrupt in college [the worst nightmare] and another thing I won't buy the game if it was published b Midway and I should think you should change the company name because there has been Bizzare Creations sorry...

Im about to create my first game soon so wait please
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 04:15 Edited at: 28th Jan 2008 04:20
...Reading your post, you haven't downloaded the demo and were looking at the old game, BlockVerse. There are 19 houses in the Eye Vid, and you have no idea what the story is. Do not tell me how to make my game. You're not suggesting things, you're trying to plan it out, and doing a bad job. You also know very little about coding if you think the language has some limit on the number of levels. There are 19 levels, and a complex story and extra bits to find. And 32 hours?!?!?!? Do you even realize that a professional game sold at $50 usually has no more the 15 hours of core gameplay?!?! For the $15 I'm estimating, you can expect anywhere between 4-12 hours of gameplay. That's a wide range, because I haven't had enough play testers to be sure, and the first half of the game flies by.

And what makes you think I could even get a company like midway to publish this???? And for that matter, Bizar Games is the name of my WEBSITE. I have no official company as of yet, and Bizarre Creations is a totally differently spelled and sounding name. Do you even realize what kind of puzzle game this is? From your post I'm not so sure. From the sound of it you've never even bought an indi game and never will, so you don't seem like my target audience.

Download the Demo, watch more of the vids, and realize that this game is almost done, and entirely planned out. I'm sorry for being harsh and most likely overreacting, but understand that posts like that one piss me off. I'd explain why, but that would make me even more angry, which you don't want. Again, I'm sorry for pulling the flamethrower out on you.

...Anywho, to everyone else, if you've wondered why Dream progress has slowed down again, it's because of this:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=122850&b=8
Dream is still being worked on, but on an eqaul level with that right now. I'll try and make Dream the priority again soon. But man, the last stages of Development are BORING...

BlockVerse-> Old School Beta Demo-> Dream-> Old School-> Guitar Platformer
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 04:21
MR. PRAGER. GET BACK TO DEVELOPMENT ON THIS OR I'LL PERSONALLY HAVE YOUR TESTICLES FED TO THAT EYE.

So please hurry up and finish this. You don't want this to lose interest/get competition during the wait.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 04:31
It will be finished soon... And why would I feed my testi's to myself? <GASP>

JK, I'm not the eye.

Honestly I expect to be finished by the end of february/mid-march. That's been my realistic goal since I came back from break. Please hold me to that, as now that I've said it out loud, I'm afraid I wont make it.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 04:41
You bet I'm keeping you to that.

Zachaboo
User Banned
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 05:09
Im not trying to make you angry ok even though your a college student facing issues while im here having isuses with my disabilite[asbergers] and I have played your Dream demo and after I posted that ohps.... played BlockVerse after that so I might i've got confussed ok. So please don't get anger at me I did'nt mean to hurt all I've just made was a suggestion ok. I got confused when you said it was going to be sold I thought you realy mean't it was going to be publised and put on shelves. And I did'nt know what type of puzzle game this is so I'm sorry. It was a new experince to me because I played First person shooters most of the time and I wanted to try something new. I got confussed with the time thing because I played Elder Scrolls a bit too much. Ok so it was a sugestion now would you accept my apoligy and tell me what was the issue [ Its not going to kill you so please] and I was'nt lying the in this whole forum I R E A L Y D O
H A V E A S B E R G E R S, Ok

Im about to create my first game soon so wait please
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2008 19:58
I really don't care if you have asperger's, ok? I have a number of friends who have it, and a while back someone posted about it and a ton of people on this forum have asperger's. Why on Earth should it make a difference how I treat you?? And really, I don't care why you said all that, because the moment you drop it I'll stop being annoyed with you. You're probably a nice guy who's just a complete noob to game programming, so just learn a bit by looking at all the wip games here, and realize that none of us are in teams of 50 people like the big shots, and most like me are a team of 1.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2008 21:10
Um..what's aspergers?

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2008 22:10
@Inspire
Acording to Google asperger's is where you can't speak very well and have a fasination with strange things. Google is your friend. I mean no offense to anyone if I have anything wrong about this diease please correct me.

@Bizar Guy
Kinda quick on the draw don't you think? BTW the game looks really good.

If it was illegal to be stupid we'd run out of room.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2008 02:21 Edited at: 31st Jan 2008 04:08
@DB PROgrammer, Wiki would have been a better source. It's not really not being able to speak we'll it's where you have trouble reading social signals, and are awkward in social situations. There's a good deal more to it than that, it's related to autism, sort of like a super mild version of it. There's more to it than that though, and I'm pretty sure it's not just a mild version of autism. I'd like to point out though, that there are a ton of people on the forum that have it, that are actually better posters than most. People with Asperger's are also usually smart. So you see, having that kinda problem at least in my experience, has no effect on forum posting what so ever. I really hope he is telling the truth though, because I don't ever think I'd forgive a guy who faked that sort of thing. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though.

I get quick on the draw with certain posts. You'll have to bear with me, because I'm trying to get better, and I still do it. It doesn't help that I'm generally always in the right (not always), even if I overreact. It makes it a hard habit to break.

Edit: Please nobody post on the issue anymore, this thread is about Dream. I'll post again when I have a really good update. I've finished the intro vid, but I REALLY don't feel like posting it right now (I think I'm sick). I'll post it with the next update, and then after that I'll probably hold off until the 19th. If by the 19th I've got a lot of really good progress, I'll post a long Doc Vid like the one I did for the Bizar Engine.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2008 17:11
19th... The wait begins...

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2008 21:51
Hehe.... where is teh video??

gettin old here...

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2008 07:55
Umm, its not the 19th yet so I don't know what you guys are waiting for, he posted that yesterday, I think your confusing with this past 19th.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2008 08:28
No... I'm waiting for the 19th...

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2008 19:46
Well, you don't have to wait until the 19th to see the opening. I DID mention one update first. And here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jZ_Lidr8Uo

Here's the opening, I think it's pretty cool, works pretty well with the story. It makes it so I don't have to spell out the story ever in the game. All you need is the different way characters view things in the game, and it pieces together quite well.

The rest of the update is I've added a lot of duologue, and some nifty visual effects. All the dialogue should be done by the 19th, I can pretty much guarantee that.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2008 02:14
Holy... cow. Awesome work, Bizar Guy! That menu literally made my jaw drop. Just fantastic. The water is great too, with that textured tower, still so awesome...

Haha, just pure awesomeness, man. This game is on my list of favorite TGC games. Definitely.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2008 16:40 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2008 16:42
I was slightly confused, there were some... irregularities. Some quick frameskips which I'll just blame on Fraps, but that second text bubble was too fast. It was visibile while the cam switched, you don't want that, do ya? The switch to the menu was extremely, and yes, I emphasise extremely, well done... BUT...

The music! The music cut isn't so good, man. Really - it used to be cool and smooth and stuff in the version I played... Now it sounds like a normal fadeout/in thing. You might want to look at that.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2008 17:17 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2008 17:20
The intro is good, even if I didn´t really understand it(I guess the story unfolds as you play the game) and just as tha_rami wrote, you have to fix that text bubble that appeared too fast.
The menu with its smooth animations is great!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2008 12:16
Awesome! Really looking forward to the full game now! However, I would agree with tha_rami but fix those things and it'll be perfect!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 03:37
This is not an update, this is the hype machine at work.

OMG!!!!!! What do ya think this is all about?!?!

And so everyone knows (I may as well say it as long as I'm posting), I've 'rami'fied the opening.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Kel becomes possessed?

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 05:44
Ramified is synonym for "making it perfect", as everybody knows .

That is indeed a hypish image there, wonder how those crates got there and how Kel got so... goldish. He seems friendly, not evil or so - so I don't think he's possessed there.

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 08:57
Learn somthing new everyday

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 10:39
Is it the ending vid?

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 14:35
Hi,
do you like drownings and water very much, is there a particular reason?
MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 15:19
This looks good so far. I tried the demo version some time ago, and it was indeed most enjoyable.

Here's my two cents on your intro video (based, of course, on the youtube video- I don't know how much it's changed since). It's a little rambley, but raises a couple of points on the use of camera:

I think the very first "video" in the game- your intro- should play itself, without forcing the player to interact just to make it flow. Once you get to the actual game and dialogue becomes a bit longer and interaction is naturally expected, yeah. But for your intro, you might want to consider timing that first speech bubble as opposed to having the player press spacebar.

The zoom out following that, I assume uses curvevalue? It would probably be more effective if the camera got faster as it moved away (as opposed to suddenly jerking itself away), before then using curvevalue to smoothly stop it at the end. Maybe rotating the camera backwards a little along the x-axis, so you're looking up at the tower, emphasising it's height, would further enhance the impression.

Following that, the camera flows to the base of the tower. The movement of the camera doesn't seem necessary there, and it would be more effective to simply jump to that spot. Perhaps accompany that with another gradual, very short distance zoom-out and a slight pan around the base (rotate along the y a little). If you decide to look up to the tower in the previous shot, then looking down a little at the base would compliment nicely here.

Again, next shot, the use of curvevalue is a bit obvious. Perhaps a spin around the tower, camera staring almost straight down, as it ascends, as opposed to the current setup.

The shot from the top of the tower is good. Perhaps round it off with the camera getting ahead of itself, diving down to the water's surface, before jumping to the next shot.

Next shot, seems good. You've already fixed the early speech bubble, so that should be fine.

Perhaps, as the tower nears the end of it's descent, you should begin to slowly pan out, as oppose to sweeping suddenly away at the end.

Last shot at the water is great. I noticed, however, that you can see the upper part of the menu when the camera travels to the title. I assume this is intentional?

---

I've attached what is essentially my annotations in diagram form, just to help explain my thoughts in a less long winded fashion.

Good luck be with you sir.

Give me an ounce of irony, good apothecary, to sweeten my imagination.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 23:33
Is this Super Kel? Does he find all six Kel Rubies and become the Ultimate Block-Pushing-Form?

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 02:01
He does have kind of a mean look on.. (note the "eyebrows")

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that this is a "nightmare" version of him, or something.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 03:17 Edited at: 11th Feb 2008 17:21
But why are those crates static...?

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 04:15 Edited at: 11th Feb 2008 18:16
Quote: "do you like drownings and water very much, is there a particular reason?"

It is entirely possible that there is a reason. You'll just have to wait and see.

@tha_rami, Thanks.
Quote: "But why are those crates static...?"

Well... it's hard to explain. I can't say over IM either, at least not yet.

As to the eye's, look at other screenshots of his face (specifically halfway down the third page). It will clear things up a bit.

Here's the picture again:

EditMonoCoder, thanks for that. I'll Mono-fy the opening a bit as well. I supose I should at least have it be the same qualtiy as the first Eye vid. From now on, that will be my standard for all the cut scenes. In fact, I think I'll out do it with the ones that come after.

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 18:48 Edited at: 11th Feb 2008 18:49
But your already going to Ramify it I thought, I don't konw if it would be safe to Ramify it and Mono-fy it BTW looks good.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 21:30
19th day UPDATE

5 of 11 cut scenes are done (that includes the now finished opening), and two more are in progress. The 11 cut scenes represent different version of the same scene often (such as there are 3 endings), so you cannot unlock them all in one play. But starting a new game does not relock the cut scenes, so you can unlock them all by playing through all versions of the story. This unlocks the Bonus Level.

All dialogue and possible actions outside of story levels are done, aside from one possibility I realized I hadn’t covered.

All menu related things are complete aside from the options, which do nothing more than screen res and color depth.

Second story level and final level are both partially modeled

So here’s the status:
15 of 19 levels completed
2 levels in progress
3 levels to finish
5 cut scenes completed
2 cut scenes in progress
6 cut scenes to finish

I plan to have 18 levels done and 7 cut scenes finished by the end of February. By mid March I plan to have completed Dream, and will go into testing phase, which will be very short, seeing as most of the testing has already been done. I’ll also be working on updating my new website. By the end of March, I expect testing to be done, and the site nearing completion. By then I hope to have a payment method in place, and will begin sales in April.

This is not a set in stone schedule, this is a prediction. I do intend to make it happen though.

I’ll post a status update every time I complete something.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 23:51 Edited at: 19th Feb 2008 23:52
Oooh, three different endings!
Soulhunter will only have two...

Will the levels look different depending on how you play them, considering you need different cut scenes?
Great to see that you´re finished soon!
What I don´t understand though, is Dream the "same" game as Verse/Fabel nux?

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 00:22
Sounds great . I can't wait for the release, I'll definitely be buying .

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 09:12
I'm buying too. I mean, I've had two encounters with the game and I've fallen in love with it during the darn intro. That's before I even played a single second.

Although it is a love/hate relationship because, darn, I found myself thinking how to solve certain puzzles during class, when trying to sleep, and similar .

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 19:18
Quote: "Will the levels look different depending on how you play them, considering you need different cut scenes?
Great to see that you´re finished soon!
What I don´t understand though, is Dream the "same" game as Verse/Fabel nux?"

Levels looking different? Well, all I can say is what I've said before, that the Sanctuary level changes with the state of the dream... aside from that you'll have to play to find out.

About Dream being, Verse...
Well, yes and no. Verse turned into Dream, but I decided the Fabel Nux stories work better in Comic form. Dream is the same idea, showing that a puzzle game can be art and story based, but the story is different. I plan on having my games be unrestricted by the very set and massive Fabel Nux story, and have a smaller universe made for my games now, which came out of the original Old School world designs and a graphic novel I planned out and then scrapped called Trimotion. The nice thing about this universe is it's more about each individual story and how they interact than each story as part of a much greater whole. Fabel Nux is beyond huge. I would die before I could make all the games needed to accurately show it. With Graphic Novels I can stick to the main stories and finish the whole thing in maybe 30 books or so... Imagine making 30 games for one story, each a story based game. With this new universe I can be free to make games not about it, and I only have plans for two games directly in it so far, each related but their own separate stories.

Quote: "Although it is a love/hate relationship because, darn, I found myself thinking how to solve certain puzzles during class, when trying to sleep, and similar ."

Really, cool!

I'm glad to hear votes of confidence now. It really is reassuring to know at least SOME people will buy it. I really hope this does well.

I've finished the collision for the second story level (hardest one yet), and am adding the first version of events for that level. To make it clear, Dream doesn't just have three endings. The game plays drastically differently depending on what you do in the game and when. It may be confusing, seeing as really you can't do much besides walk around levels, pick stuff up, and go through scripted stories, but once you get past the first five levels the story unfolds based on what you do. Kudos to people who figure out how to get ending c, I only realized it was possible recently, and realized it was far to good to pass up.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2008 21:26
Quote: "Fabel Nux is beyond huge. I would die before I could make all the games needed to accurately show it."

It sounds like you´re creating your own discworld.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 20:54
Quote: "Fabel Nux is beyond huge. I would die before I could make all the games needed to accurately show it."

I seem to become more and more impressed with your work all the time. It's funny cause when you talk about the world you've created, you remind me a lot of my own work with writing.

And three endings is fantastic, that will give Dream a incredible amount of replayability.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 21:50
Quote: "It sounds like you´re creating your own discworld."

Just Wiki'd it. Looks very cool, I'll check some out of the library next time I'm there. Fabel Nux is a bit different though, it takes place over millions of years ending almost 1 billion years after the earliest stories, and is mostly scifi presented like fantasy, coming off as fantasy portrayed as scifi. Fabel Nux also deals mainly with multiple versions of the same universe called Verses, and the ability to create new ones and travel between them. I will be using the same sort of spiraling storytelling method though. I also treat magic as a programming language in it.

Quote: "I seem to become more and more impressed with your work all the time. It's funny cause when you talk about the world you've created, you remind me a lot of my own work with writing. "

I've found that many people I know have their own universe of storytelling they're working on. I hope I get to see most of these come into action.

Quote: "And three endings is fantastic, that will give Dream a incredible amount of replayability."

I hope so. That's why I'm making the final level unlockable by unlocking all the vids. Also, the story will make the most sense if you get all the endings.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2008 15:23
second story level is finished, last level is partially modeled, and 1 and a half cutscenes more are done- A bit behind schedule, but I'm doing ok. I had a few more testers, confirmed one must-fix bug, and was assured it was very addicting. So far most people have trouble NOT going through the first 8 levels. Most people want to sit down and play till they drop, which did happen a few times.

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2008 01:03
This is looking really good! I shall keep an eye on this thread.
Keep up the epic work!!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 15:51
Thanks.

I've had a small period where I refuse to do any programming or modeling (seems to happen more and more often when you get later into Dev... I'm liking the editor approach and doing all the hard coding work early on more and more). So until then, I'll be drawing all the different artworks required for Dream in game- I need to do them anyways.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 07:30:32
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 07:30:32