Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / -Dream-

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2008 19:32 Edited at: 13th Mar 2008 19:36
Bump: I was planning on being finished for the 19th, but that's not going to happen. There's no way I think I can be finished by next Wednesday. I've got a lot of the artworks inked, but I still have to color them, scan them, and then edit them on the computer. I'll try and have all the cut scenes finished by the 19th though. That will be quite hard to do, but at this point I really need to get it done. I'm most worried about have the endings all finished, because those are pretty complex. I'll try to get all the basic animation and text and all done, then work of the cut scene effects later.

The other big thing is the three in game scenes that are part of one of the stories. They'll be quite hard to do. I'm thinking I'll have to simplify them a bit. I've already got a plan laid out for that and everything.

...man, it's so hard to work on a game when it feels like it's already finished.

Edit: I'm not really sure what to do about the final bonus level. I mean, I've got to have something, but I'm not really up to making another full level... I'll have to think of something that is worth playing through all the story for.

BlockVerse-> Old School Beta Demo-> Dream-> Old School-> Guitar Platformer
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2008 23:27
Quote: "man, it's so hard to work on a game when it feels like it's already finished"

Agreed.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2008 10:24
Bizar Guy, how about some sort of randomized survival level, or something that plays a bit like a platformer (ie very long, but 1 box wide), with water rising as clock?

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2008 06:49 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2008 21:12
Alright, I think I've got something worked out. It may or may not have something like that.

Due to the need to stay in college, my programming time (and computer time at all for that matter) is extremely limited. Depending on what happens with the attorneys I'm talking to might make finishing Dream once again very important though. There's a small small chance I could release it with a publisher. Depending on what happens, life changing decisions are being made right now. For now it's second to school work, and will remain that way. But how I allot the time outside that might change a whole lot depending on how this turns out. I'll update again when something important happens.

Oh, and I made a new Bizar Guy. I was told the current version of him was very similar to another character, and decided it was time to use improved drawing skills to upgrade my mascot. I might still have a bit to do, but at least the hand drawn part is done for sure.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2008 12:20
Awesome all round! Wish you the absolute best of luck with it; you deserve it!

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Best of luck to you to finish it, Ben. I hope you do get through a publisher!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2008 10:12
Keep it second, but get it done!

White Fang 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2008 22:25
doing great not a huge fan of your new bizar guy but my opinion deosn't matter

I'm a noob help will be accepted
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 04:55 Edited at: 15th Apr 2008 04:57
Just posting to say this isn't dead, even if I'm not working on it. yes, it WILL be finished. I don't know what's happening with the lawyer peoples though, and I'd jam packed busy.

I'm getting sick of needing to sell it though. It's basically too polished and everything NOT to sell it, but I really don't like all this leagal stuff... Yeah, I probably will, but I think I'd rather just keep it small and avoid those crazy leagal issues, like say spending thousands of dollars on copywrites.

as to the Bizar Egine, I'll post a new thread once Dream is all set and I've got at least the physics system in. I've mapped out some theory on limb momentum and gravity in adtition to normal, which would work into smart animation. That and I've been planing out a flying system where you could say fly by actually flapping wings. anyways, when I get to all this, it will be pretty cool. For those intreested, I'll have a graphic novel partialy done by next monday.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 12:55 Edited at: 15th Apr 2008 12:57
Quote: "like say spending thousands of dollars on copywrites."

It only costs around $150 to get something trademarked (which is copyright). Not sure about USA though but i bet its still quite cheap.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 13:01
Quote: "It only costs around $150 to get something trademarked (which is copyright)."

A trademark is generally for the name (Company name, game's name, etc), and a copyright is for the game itself.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 16:55
Try your best selling it.
I think it has good potential.
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 17:43
Quote: "where you could say fly by actually flapping wings"

Wiimotes?
Anyway, good luck with the laws.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 18:01
Quote: "Wiimotes?"

More like mouse motes , I'd want everyone to be able to do it. It's still theory though- remember I've just barely converted the whole thing to sparkys, let alone state red on the physics system. All it is is the whole concept and design doc for it are done, so I know exactly how it will work, and a bit of how the code will go.

I'm thinking I'll go with the auto copyright I have on all the media and code by default, and look into the name protection, and Block Dude similarities.

Zachaboo
User Banned
Posted: 17th Apr 2008 00:28
Question before 3 day release: Uh... is there anything original on Dream cause I know that the game looks like lode runner and portal[without the portals] game which of course is a bit good like a mixture of games which makes it original a little bit like can you tell me more about the game and levels cause I've played block verse and Dream Beta Demo and can you put a custom camera in your game like the Editor and I'm glad you understand me

Chomper The game im about to make : ]
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2008 06:36 Edited at: 19th Apr 2008 18:30
...I'm trying to grasp how you think anything in Dream is like Lode Runner. Maybe you mean some other game... here's the Wiki, just in case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lode_Runner
Edit: Oh, wait! Are you talking about how there are baddies in BlockVerse? I see what you mean now. No though, there are no baddies in Dream. I could add some, but right now I haven't because it doesn't fit into the story.

And Dream and Portal share the similarities that they're puzzle games. Dream is not at all like Portal. And more so, not even the art style is similar to either of those games.

Then, there is no level editor, and it has never been stated there was. Not even I have a level editor, as I didn't know how to code them when I started. And more so, DREAM WILL NOT BE RELEASED ON THE 19TH ANYMORE. I jaust want to make tat clear. Also, yes, Dream is original in a number of ways, though the puzzle mechanic concept with the blocks comes from Block Dude on the calc. I'm sorry if I'm not answering one of your questions, you post is hard to read and from the look of it you haven't read any of the recent posts.

Anyways, UPDATE!

Lot of things like Level names, options menu, and those missing sounds from before are added. Also, I've rearranged some of the levels so that the difficulty is better and eliminated that pesky 3rd storyline that almost none would have reached. I've also planned out a new 19th level as part of the story, rather than making a bonus level. Also, I polished up a lot of the in game happenings, so they look pretty good now. And, I've redone the 16th level to make the difficulty level better. Here's a pic:

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2008 18:37
More updates, a little icon that tells you if you've collected the keys from a level has been added to the menu. I've also fixed all the key related issues, some bugs with the new lv names, and fixed up the movie screen so you have watch all possibilities of the same sequence individually. There's a story heavy sequence in game scene I'm also thinking about adding as a movie, so that you can compare the two version of it. There are still just a ton of scenes from the game I can't make into movies, but I want a bit more of the important stuff to be re watchable.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2008 18:46
Awesome! Looks like you are filling the game with cut scenes ^^

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2008 23:00
Yeah, this sounds really nice!

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2008 23:18
This is looking absolutely fantastic. It really is.

Long time since I've checked in here, but its looking great.

Zachaboo
User Banned
Posted: 20th Apr 2008 16:42 Edited at: 21st Apr 2008 05:49
What I sayed earlier was that your game was like lode runner I was wrong,but your game is like portal without portals. If you haven't played oranage box you didn't get of what I mean, cause this is what portal is without portals which is like your game except it replaces a a few things. The lazar=turret [except it shoots when you go pass it] you have to get out of the level there is water and tall levels. Crates, A puzzling Boss[ or maybe not cause I don't know what that red eye is for] a story, at the boss level in portal your timed and there is gas killing you[sorta like the flood level except its water] you earn parts of your weapon in the eary in the game. Which probely equals your charcter and that power up or I don't know what that is for, and your trying to dodge the lazars and get out of the level, sorta like those turrets earlier except that it will only kill you if you go past it or hurt you,The Keys are like the boxs you need to activate the button,and that is all of what I mean of what the gameplay is like in portal without portals and Dream. I guessed of what it looks like since I looked at your pictures and videos of dream and playing blockverse and it is like blockverse right? Not only that but I said it would be good for the charcter to change camera angles cause it can be confussing in huge levels with a ton of boxs without customizing the camera angles, which is like some of the levels in blockverse like the snow fortress and it would be frustarting cause I might not know what is behid all of those damn crates and what crates I could pick up and what I can't thats frustrating in blockverse. You may not have a huge level but if you make a bigger level like that please let the player to change angles It would be a nightmare to know what is behid those crates with one camera angle.Super Mario 64 got that and its less confusing cause theres levels like that. I just gave you a huge comment to understand of what I mean. Did you get of what I was saying Bizar cause that would be good.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2008 17:54 Edited at: 3rd May 2008 02:56
To everyone:
I'll have more updates in about a week I think, but if I'm any earlier, so be it.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2008 09:23 Edited at: 4th May 2008 17:09
Here's a vid until the next update. Plenty of work is being done (finally!), you'll get to see actual updates soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7G_Wl4_V7k

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2008 06:30
Also, here are some new screens.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2008 11:45
Lmfao @ the last pic.

I like the humor you're using here. Some are inside jokes to the forums, but it looks like you're using some more generic humor as well. I think people will like that.

The one and only,

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2008 12:36
Lol, I love the last pic, now you need one on book.

keep it up, this looks like a great game.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2008 15:40
Lol at all three pics plus thumbs up at the video.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2008 16:00
LOL - Awesome!!...

Um... I have an idea - You might consider a little comic - online or otherwise to go side-by-side with the game for the raw entertainment, the marketing reasons.. and done right.. could make the game's story "bigger" than the game (filling in details the game might not provide but jives) and could make way for plugs into possible version two etc.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2008 17:25 Edited at: 5th May 2008 17:26
at the last pic!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2008 09:07 Edited at: 7th May 2008 09:08
Glad everyone likes the humor.

I'll explaining in the update (as in I want to do one big update that says everything I've been doing), but I am posting pics for people to speculate.

Quote: "Um... I have an idea - You might consider a little comic - online or otherwise to go side-by-side with the game for the raw entertainment, the marketing reasons.. and done right.. could make the game's story "bigger" than the game (filling in details the game might not provide but jives) and could make way for plugs into possible version two etc."

That is a good idea, but I almost certainly wont be doing it. The games story IS bigger than just this game, which will make sense eventually. Also, doing comics takes a lot of effort in a sort space of time, and Dream has a branching story that makes more and more sense each time you play it, and if you play it a different way. And then, the story is paced by the puzzles, and I can't exactly draw a comic about him solving the puzzles. And lastly, I have a lot of comics I want to draw, and drawing Dream would literally be spending even MORE time on it, when I have so many new ideas that I need to do.
That said, there will be some hand drawn stuff in Dream.

Anyways, here's another screenshot, this time of a bit of serious story.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2008 16:55
Hi,
i like very much the idea of making a comic about it. It has't to be solving puzzles, but you can make some so you can give strenght to the game. If you focus in one thing it's easier that you can be succesful about it, don't give up on the idea.
Zachaboo
User Banned
Posted: 10th May 2008 05:37
I think the story should just be all funny instead of serious wanna be fantasy cause the game looks toony.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2008 23:30
Quote: "I think the story should just be all funny instead of serious wanna be fantasy cause the game looks toony."

I like the looks of those ruins and the fog effect. Keep it up, soon you´ll be done with this game!! Then there´ll be cake(hopefully not a lie), Hurray!!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2008 01:27 Edited at: 11th May 2008 01:31
Quote: "i like very much the idea of making a comic about it. It has't to be solving puzzles, but you can make some so you can give strenght to the game. If you focus in one thing it's easier that you can be succesful about it, don't give up on the idea. "

Well, I'll consider it. If a lot of people reeeaallly like the game, I'll make a comic, but that wont be until after the game is finished and released, if at all.

Quote: " like the looks of those ruins and the fog effect. Keep it up, soon you´ll be done with this game!! Then there´ll be cake(hopefully not a lie), Hurray!!"

I'll actually be upgrading the ruins background a bit and maybe one other background, as that isn't actually how the northern ruins look.

AND NO GODDAMN IT THE CAKE IS A LIE!!! GARHUGAHROFLCOPTER!!

Seriously though, I've got a few things to do for now, so the update will be held off until I've got some stuff sorted.

Here's a full of the text from the vid util I've got new media or the actual update.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2008 02:16
Uhm, so what is "The Deadworld Lore"? Is it another project of yours?

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2008 02:53
It's a fictional book that is mentioned many times in Dream. Aside from that, you'll have to draw your own conclusions. There are several passages read from it in Dream.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2008 03:56
Oh, ok. That sounds good. Really good.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2008 19:22 Edited at: 11th May 2008 19:22
Bizar Guy, I need teh info about teh book!

Or wait, no. I hate book. Book is stupid.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2008 09:07
Quote: "I hate book. Book is stupid."

I book that

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2008 23:18 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2008 23:22
Alright, I'm back to work!

Screw it about a big update all at once, here's the lowdown:

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING for the first 11 levels is finished. Every single puzzle element, every scripted event, and every cut-scene up until that point is finished. And believe me, there are a TON of scripted events. I've tried to keep it from interfering with the gameplay, and I think I succeeded. After that there are a few scripted events I still need to finish, and I need to make a lot of improvements to the cutscenes that come after that (including the credits, which are not finished). But every single aspect of the actual gameplay is finished and fine tuned, and play tested with every type of gamer and non gamer I could get my hands on. There are two more levels to make, though most of the models for one of them already exist. Outside of level specific events, everything is fully polished.

After that, I've also polished many of the unfinished effects, and gotten all the sounds and such to work at the proper time and never stop playing at the wrong time.

Understand, there are many ways you could play through Dream even as a linear game with few ways of interaction, and I've been scripting events for each possability.

I'd tell you my expected release time, but I don't want to get peoples hopes up. I'm debating releasing the demo early, as everything that would be included in the demo is finished. My final call is expect to see a demo in the next few months. I know everything that would be included in it is finished, but I want to be able to guarantee a game to go with the demo soon after.

As to the price, I'm pretty torn on that. I would be fine selling Dream at a price like $9.19 or something, but I'd need to be certain that wouldn't be a turn off for people who dismiss games that are $10 or less. I'm thinking right now maybe $12.97 like before. I'll have to look into that further, as more indi games seem to be selling for around $10 than before. I also think I should contact Brandon Sterner (the maker of Block Dude), as I'm now worried about the legalities of selling a game using essentially his puzzle mechanic. I think Dream is considered different enough, but I'm worried about that now.

More pics eventually, maybe another vid. And be on the lookout for a demo, I'll be consulting various peoples on that.

AlexRiva
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2008 23:45 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2008 23:46
Glad to see you're proceeding well with your work.
I liked Blockverse a lot, especially the presentation and unique style you put into it. From what I can see by now Dream should put all this to an upper level of development.

Quote: "As to the price, I'm pretty torn on that. I would be fine selling Dream at a price like $9.19 or something, but I'd need to be certain that wouldn't be a turn off for people who dismiss games that are $10 or less. I'm thinking right now maybe $12.97 like before. I'll have to look into that further, as more indi games seem to be selling for around $10 than before. I also think I should contact Brandon Sterner (the maker of Block Dude), as I'm now worried about the legalities of selling a game using essentially his puzzle mechanic. I think Dream is considered different enough, but I'm worried about that now."

About the price IMO you should not lower the price too much, since usually people thinks the less a product costs the less its quality. I think 15$/10€ should be Ok.
As for game copyright problem I suppose you should have no problem at all, think about all the Bejeweled clones around or all the FPS with same game mechanics. Plus, your game is 3D and Block Dude is 2d, so the gameplay is completely different! You could contact Brandon Sterner just for (n)etiquette but about legal issues I think you are Ok. Good Luck!

Visit my new website: http://www.maskedbear.com
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2008 23:02

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2008 23:06 Edited at: 15th Jun 2008 23:19
Wohaa!? Strange ruins indeed... Nice.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2008 23:08
Odd stuff. Looking good .

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking too good but does the main character have a face on the back of his head?

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2008 19:28
Glad people like the look of the new backgrounds so far: I'm doing this to at least 9 of the levels (story consistency requires it), and a number of them are aready done.

@AlexRiva, thanks for all that. I'll definitely contact Brandon, but I think you're right about the whole copywrite thing.

@Deathead, no, that's just how the outline of his hair looks from behind. No, I'm not changing it, each frame is a separate model, and I'm not redoing all of them again.

Since I can't show what I'm currently working on (later level backgrounds and the 18th and 19th levels), I'll throw together a vid of the opening tut. It's pretty nice, I think. Simple and good looking.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "@Deathead, no, that's just how the outline of his hair looks from behind. No, I'm not changing it, each frame is a separate model, and I'm not redoing all of them again."

I know. I was joking.XD. I actually though it looked quite cool.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2008 23:27 Edited at: 16th Jun 2008 23:27
Kk

Here's the Tutorial Vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiQlr1OKj08
Fraps really screwed it up, but you get the idea from watching it.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 01:18
I used my imagination and honestly did not see any hiccups at all, only a lot of smooth transitions. Great work there, as usual. The Deadworld Lore seems to be adding another layer to the game, and I like that .

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The Deadworld Lore seems to be adding another layer to the game, and I like that"

I like that do. Bizar Guy, as tha_rami said the video had no hiccups at all(mainly because the games quality beaten the fraps quality(By a 10000 mile radius(really it did(trust me)))).

Wow 4 brackets in on bracket, I'm proud of myself.lol

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 06:19:26
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 06:19:26