Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / -Dream-

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 21:07
Ooh, wonder what's behind the black door... Maybe, a penguin?

Looks awesome!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 00:07 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2008 00:10
Thanks guys! Woo, 400+ posts reached!

Quote: "I know exactly what you're getting at. The menu has some... nice hidden feats, so to say ."

Yep . Even more than before now too.

Quote: "Ooh, wonder what's behind the black door... Maybe, a penguin?"

Well, once you get a bit through the game, you'll be able to guess pretty well.

Reposting for the new page:

And no, I have no idea why the white door has no handle. I need to fix that...

And REMEMBER- the menu changes with in game events, and I've been working on all forms of the menu.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 06:12
Must... play... newest version.... *drool*

This game is looking to be the best puzzle game ever to be released on these forums.

The one and only,

Whosoever says, "Don't sweat the small stuff," is obviously not a programmer.
joLii
Years of Service
User Offline
selection screen looks great. The white door with no handle, in my opinion should stay that way. it gives me a sense of; 'unattainable secrets are behind this door' i can't wait to play some of this, it's looking better each time you post.

keep up the good work
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 12:27
Quote: "menu changes with in game events"

Yay! That sounds great, nice work!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 14:36
That ís great, zzz, first time it happened to me I was at least utterly shocked. And the fun thing is that for some changes, you'll really need to think out of the box.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2008 21:52
Well small update, here's the new background for the first rising level.

I've also been modeling the train crash, which is turning out to be rather hard. It should come out good though.
Plenty of other things have been done, just most of them are the kinds of things not worth posting.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2008 23:45 Edited at: 11th Aug 2008 23:46
I don't really understand what that huge box in the background is supposed to be, but I'm sure I'll find out sooner or later!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 00:59
Same feelings here.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 08:56
Hmm. Well, it's the edge of a platue that ends in a cliff that forms one edge of the lake. I'll look into making it more detailed. Is the forest obvious though (I know the bottom is submerged in the screen, but it starts off dry there)?

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 23:40
Alright, here are the two rising levels.

Rising Water 1!

Rising Water 2! This one is really cool because is really looks like it's filling with rain water.

This is Bizar Guy here, if anyone be tellin' you any different, they be tellin' you dead wrong. Peace!

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2008 00:26
Are those tall boxes skyscrapers? Really nice!
Peace!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2008 04:26
I like the skyscraper level very much .

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2008 06:55 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2008 07:01
Thanks guys. It seems I'm not reaching the general public on Apollo though. Only the cool people seem to post here.

Lol, anyways my computer was brought back from the grave this week. Literally this time, the hard drive actually got killed and was unrecoverable. Luckily I'm still at home until Monday, and somehow my dad managed to save all the data and get it to a new hard drive. I have like 5 of 6 backups of Dream, but I would have lost 10 or 20 hours of work. Looks like I'm safe for now though, and my computers running as fast as new.

Tons of work is getting done, I've finished the Train crash drawings and finally finalized the opening, which is awesome now. I'll post a vid of it this weekend. I've also gotten much of the train crash background done, and I'm liking how it looks. It occurs in two levels, so it's like getting two backgrounds done at once.

And finally (aside from various bug fixes), I've gotten all the options I plan to add in place, at least control and graphic wise. Here's a comparison between Minimum and full graphics. It actually works too, Dream plays fairly well on my laptop on battery power just by lowering the color depth to 16 and and reducing the weather effects to medium (which looks much better than everything on minimum). With the options I've added, Dream should be fully playable on most windows computer people might be playing games on today.

Edit: Oh yes, and because the menu uses the same effects as the game engine, you can see most of the changes in the menu immediately.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2008 09:47
Quote: "Only the cool people seem to post here."

I post here and I'm not cool .

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2008 09:48
Close one, close one. Glad Dream is progressing as usual. The graphic levels indeed look like they're quite the difference in computer load.

There's no general public here. Think of it this way - you'll reach 10 people here, and 5 in Program Announcements. It's in Geek Culture that you want to be known, and hey, Dream, Soulhunter, Geisha House and Pirates of Port Royale seem to be pretty known. Do something like that mod, a contest, or just advertise in Untitled again.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2008 00:13 Edited at: 24th Aug 2008 00:17
put propaganda everywhere
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2008 16:39 Edited at: 24th Aug 2008 16:43
Quote: "I post here and I'm not cool "

Wrong, Gil! What I mean to say is posting here MAKES you cool!

Quote: "There's no general public here. Think of it this way - you'll reach 10 people here, and 5 in Program Announcements. It's in Geek Culture that you want to be known, and hey, Dream, Soulhunter, Geisha House and Pirates of Port Royale seem to be pretty known. Do something like that mod, a contest, or just advertise in Untitled again."

I think I'll go with an add. I'll e-mail it to you in a couple of days if that's alright, there's no scoring in Dream, though I might do something.

Quote: "put propaganda everywhere"

Maybe, but I'm not actually worried about it. I just looked at the people who posted recently and it was mostly rami and zzz.

ALRIGHT!

HERE'S TEH OPENING VID!!!!!
Fraps kinda screwed up the crash part, mainly that for some reason in the vid, the actual crash drawing never shows up, even though it actually is shown twice in a row... Oh, and I haven't gotten rid of the beginning of the opening with the Dream title, I just skipped it in this vid.

And guess what?

Train Wreck, b*tches!

Edit: For the first time in Dream history, I've met a deadline. I've gotten everything I wanted to done and more before I left for college. That also means when I get to college work on Dream will slow down, but I'm pretty confident in finishing reletavely soon.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2008 21:11 Edited at: 24th Aug 2008 21:18
Oooh, I REALLY like the look of that train level, a truly original design. The opening vid is awesome too, but I think that the camera moves too fast before displaying the menu.
Great work as always Bizar Guy!

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2008 21:39 Edited at: 25th Aug 2008 23:15
It's interesting to see how "Dream" has evolved over time. It really has come a long way!

Oh, and it might just be me, but I'm having trouble telling if the tower is sinking or the water is rising due to (I think) the way the camera is. Just throwin' that out there...

Ripple - Rhythm Game
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2008 05:50
A met deadline. You're really tampering with the laws of physics there. Shouldn't do that, dude.

I too, like the design of the wreck level. Quite unique to say the least! Also, the final intro is great.

I'll be honest with you, I'm not completely sure whether I like those drawn images. There's a style thing coming to mind there for me, being that the pencil drawings, while extremely well drawn, do not fit the overall style of the game (which is semi-cellshaded, cartoony colors).

But like said, I totally love what I'm seeing and I'll be looking forward to receiving that advertisement.

The ARRAYinator
Years of Service
User Offline
I have watched this thread for a while but never actually posted here. Just thought id state the obvious by saying this is looking awesome!

Gamescape Is not dead!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 08:25 Edited at: 4th Sep 2008 17:02
Hey everyone, I got settled in at college a bit, so... DREAM IS BACK.

And thanks for all the good comments, here are answers to the crits and all.

Quote: "Oooh, I REALLY like the look of that train level, a truly original design. The opening vid is awesome too, but I think that the camera moves too fast before displaying the menu.
Great work as always Bizar Guy!"

Thanks! I'll probably do a bit to the end of the opening, with both the switch to the menu and the zoom out.

Quote: "Oh, and it might just be me, but I'm having trouble telling if the tower is sinking or the water is rising due to (I think) the way the camera is. Just throwin' that out there..."

This has come up in the past, and I've kind of decided that the ambiguity of it works with the whole concept of the game pretty well. Technically it is sinking, but it's not that important either way.

Quote: "A met deadline. You're really tampering with the laws of physics there. Shouldn't do that, dude."

Don't worry, I've written my own physics program already (I wonder for what ), so I'm safe.

Quote: "I'll be honest with you, I'm not completely sure whether I like those drawn images. There's a style thing coming to mind there for me, being that the pencil drawings, while extremely well drawn, do not fit the overall style of the game (which is semi-cellshaded, cartoony colors)."

That is in fact, the point of the pencil drawings. The pencil drawings indicate... well, suffice to say that having it look completely different than the rest of the game is very important. It adds a new layer, though I'm not sure if it makes complete sense until you beat the game. To give a hint, you might notice that the second level shown with the train level looks a lot less like a pencil drawing.

Andways... UPDATE!
I've cut 30 mgb of off Dream, previously 100 mgb. What I've done is reduce the texture sizes mostly, lower some of the sound qualities, and get rid of the no longer used models. This means shorter load times, and Dream is MUCH faster. Literally, This should run on everything windows within reason. Also, there's little to no loss in quality. Most the the textures were far too large. Not n00b large, but a good deal more than was needed. This especially help with speed on the water and weather effects, which were high res before.

Also, I've added slight manual camera movement. What this means is the camera is still auto, but in most of the views by moving the mouse you can adjust the camera position up, down, left, and right slightly. This helps people who have trouble with the perspective, and makes the effects look very cool. The best part is you don't need it, it just adds more options without complicating the game any.

Edit2: Ok, after a single play tester, I'm convinced this is not only useless, but actually detracts from the game and a persons puzzle solving skills... So scratch that.

'Till next time, this is Bizar Guy- take it home.

Edit: Oh, and I just pre-ordered Spore Galactic addition. I was waiting for reviews, and basically IGN says it lives up to the hype. I knew the editor did from use, but it seems the space stage does as well. After hearing just a small fraction of what you can do in space stage, I can see pretty well spending 40+ hours at least on the game first time though, possibly getting into times comparable to Pokemon games (remember when you played it like 100-300 hours? Well, I did 128 once on yellow version, I have friends who went 300+ on the advance ones). The review they had sounds like what I was hoping for; not a perfect game, but the first one in years I've gotten really excited about. Oh, and my computer specs, despite being a 2004 laptop, are about medium of the game.

Of course, on the extremely small chance I hate Spore... my head will explode.

Edit2: Oh yes, and I've decided to add achievements and unlockables for the game. Unlockables would be like:
Hard Mode
Invisible Mode
Awesome Mode
Various Cosmetic Suits
The Awesome Dream Trailer
All the cut-scenes from BlockVerse

Of course though it was 4am and I was laughing with a bunch of friends when I desided this, so I'll give an update on it when I'm thinking clearer.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 17:39
Awesome Mode? Do I get to play a Dream-styled version of myself in that?

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 18:00
The intro looks cool, but I think you should have some fades between the shots instead of quickly changing. It would make it more cinematic. Great style though

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 22:22
All of the updates sounds good! Being able to change suits sounds very nice indeed. Is this a feature that you've already implemented( thinking of the screenies of yellow Kel)?

Quote: "Oh, and I just pre-ordered Spore Galactic addition"

Yay, me too! I hope it's worth the higher price.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2008 11:27 Edited at: 20th Sep 2008 11:34
Gah, I just noticed this had fallen off the first page and decided not to wait until I have screen worthy updates to post.

FOLLOW-UP:
Well,
here are the currently planned unlockables, via achievements:
-Hard Mode
-Various Cosmetic Suits
-The Awesome Dream Trailer
-All the cut-scenes from BlockVerse

I cut invisibility mode on account that is was just stupid, and you wouldn't actually want to play that way. I cut Awesome mode because it involved far to much work and was really too far removed from the game. I think I can get all the jokes I wanted into the trailer just fine, and am less likely to be breaking any copyrights that way.

OPTIMISATION:
Dream not only runs, but is playable on all the computers I've tested it on. I mean to say that even on the slowest of computers (I mean computers that run audio surf slow on low settings) can still run Dream at playable speeds of the most visual intense rising levels with about medium graphics on 800x600 16 bit. So yes, you can probably run it.

UPDATE:
Both the menus and in game can now be controlled by the arrow keys, the WASD keys, and the mouse with mouse movement. These three control scheme are all active at once, so even if there was no tutorial, you'd have to stumble upon a control scheme by accident at least. I'm personally not that fond of mouse movement in a grid based game, but it certainly works fine, and that's the point.

I wanted to wait until I had finished another background or two, but I've got quite a bit of studio projects to work on (two paintings and an ink and charcoal mural, plus a smaller version of it, not to mention comics strips for the newspaper and my current 6 page graphic novel project ), as well and reading Beowulf and writing a short paper on it, as well as writing an 8 page paper on a 1 page excerpt for medieval History class. I'm a bit busy this weekend and next week, to say the least.

Edit:
Well, here's my most recent newspaper comic, at least for pics. I don't expect it to make sense to any of you, as it's very much about my college, but whatever.

Oh, and Spore is AWESOME. And dangerously time consuming. I've had to make myself stop playing since last weekend so I can do important things, like not fail school. I'll be playing more when I get most of the said projects out of the way, and a good bit more done on Dream.

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2008 23:00
This looks awesome.

I downloaded the demo, but nothing would seem to open the file though... what on earth is it?

Lee Bamber - Blame Beer
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2008 19:21
It should be a zip with an exe and media...

Maybe you're trying to use the shortcut, which probably only works on my comp. Click on files, and you'll see the exe.

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2008 20:41
Yup, it works now. It's awesome!

Lee Bamber - Blame Beer
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2008 01:37
[Comes back from epic journey across deserts of Wisconsin with nothing but a plastic spoon]

You want screens now? I think you want screens now.

Here's some screens.

Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2008 02:39
Quote: "[Comes back from epic journey across deserts of Wisconsin with nothing but a plastic spoon]"

Been there done that. I did however get some cheese curds for my troubles.

RIP Max-Tuesday, November 2 2007
You will be dearly missed.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2008 06:15
Quote: "Been there done that. I did however get some cheese curds for my troubles."

Pfft, I cut out the middle man and got myself one of the cows.

Oh, I took some pics with my cell phone while I was there.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2008 16:09
Looks really nice Keep it up!

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2008 17:07
That's awesome man, looking very cool!

Alucard94, the member of the future of the past.
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2008 21:41 Edited at: 6th Oct 2008 21:50
Lol, "Is this the Deadworld Wasteland?"

One thing that has always really stood our for me is your water effects - they're really realistic in a cartoon sort of way, the rain and the water.

Lee Bamber - Blame Beer
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2008 06:23
Thanks guys!

Here's a fun one, the 16th level.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2008 14:56
Looking good. Waiting patiently as always.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2008 16:42
The china great wall?
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2008 17:25
Lying in wait, always ready for the release.

Coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee cappacino, JAVA!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2008 09:01
Great to see people excited about it!

Reposting for new page:

Here's a fun one, the 16th level.

Also, uncompressed Dream is sized at 68mb. Zipped Dream is 38mb, and rarred Dream is 36mb.

The final game will probably be an installer, as that's what pretty much all sale games are. I'm debating what I should do for the demo though. Assuming they end up as different programs, I may end up making the demo an exe for convenience. I'll probably be able to cut off a good 20 megs from the uncompressed demo.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2008 17:56
It looks just as good as always! I wonder how many hours it'll take me to solve that level though(if I get that far, that is).

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2008 22:37
When I tested it for Untitled, I think that particular level took me over an hour to solve. At times, I'd just leave the PC on, walk away, stare out of the window, have this AHA!-moment, walk back, try it, fail, and leave again. I actually once was about to go to sleep, then suddenly an idea popped into my mind and I booted up my whole godforsaken 24-minute booting time laptop just to try it out. I was extremely happy to find that it worked.

I'll stop bragging now.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2008 23:48
LOL - Sounds Like Bizar Guy has NAILED this eh?

Good Job BizarGuy

--Jason

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2008 14:36
Yes, he has indeed nailed it. I'm extremely eager to find out how some things he has been subtly referring to have worked out.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2008 00:30 Edited at: 25th Oct 2008 00:33
Quote: "Yes, he has indeed nailed it. I'm extremely eager to find out how some things he has been subtly referring to have worked out."

I've been on break for a week, and guess what? I've been doing game stuff!!!!.... only not programming. I've been making a strategy board game, which in itself is very fun and presents a whole batch of it's own problems. I'll be back in school Sunday, and shortly after I'll be back to work on Dream. Also, I might have a comic archive up soon, which could turn into the preliminary proccess of making a web comic...

I might post pics of the board game when I'm done too, for teh funz.

Edit: Oh yes, I've made what may be my best drawing yet by far. I don't know how good it will look on a tiny computer screen, but I'll probably make a thread with it in geek culture once I get my comics up. I have a pretty cool abstract painting I might wanna show as well.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2008 10:27
The Vid says it all:

I SORRY

So yeah, I'll have myself some good free time around thanksgiving. And some of the stuff in the vid will be getting makeovers, like the environment for the 17th level. And you see that rain effect? The full 30 fps WITH Fraps running. Yeah. It couldn't do that before.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2008 18:29
Coolz! Great work with the transitions!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2008 19:26
The wait for Dream is taking nightmarish proportions - really can't wait for full release!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2008 20:07
Thanks guys. Yeah though about the release. I'll really try to keep this as my # ...3-4 priority from now one though. The majority of what is left is finishing the last 2 levels and cut-scenes. Here and there are a few bugs to fix, and then there are some effect to improve. Mostly though I need to do a ton of hand drawings, make a few more models, and put stuff together in my scene editor.

Once I'm on winter break though... we'll see how motivated I can get.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 03:26:53
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 03:26:53