Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Phoenix Sentry Mini-Game Contest - Winter 2007

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2007 16:29
w00t! I'm gonna enter

http://Freewebs.com/noobisoft
Come to Noobisoft's website today!
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
@Plystire: It's a mini-game because it's only 2-4 levels. If you win and want transfer rights of your game to someone else, we'll discuss it at that time. It shouldn't be a problem, though.

~Dave

Phoenix Sentry Programmer
game ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2007 22:54
I'm entering this thing. It sounds cool.

visit gameferret.kk5.org!ALL FREEWARE, ALL THE TIME!
game ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2007 23:02
this contest sounds cool i just made a minigame in 15 minutes about 5 seconds after i heard of this

visit gameferret.kk5.org!ALL FREEWARE, ALL THE TIME!
Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2007 23:31 Edited at: 6th Oct 2007 23:32
About the EPC, along with the mini-game ill start to make once i get this no-good, stupid health hud working, im making a game called CodeRack: Alteration, if i do get 1st, 2nd or 3rd place i could get it published when i finish it in like 2008 or something?

Also, will the Electronic Publishing Contract involve:

Phoenix Sentry Copyrighting the game so if anyone tries to copy it, they will get their butts sued
Phoenix Sentry getting the game a legal age rating from either PEGI or BBFC
A negotation between the maker and Phoenix Sentry about the share of money?

EDIT: Moderators, is it alright if i can use the word "butt?"

Im a new user, im young and FPI-dyslexic, i simply dont have the foggiest and cant learn FPI, so copy and paste code snippets please!
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
@FPI Scripts Copy and Paste: The game developer will maintain the game copyrights. Everything else you asked depends on whether or not we come to an agreement. If we do, then Phoenix Sentry/FPSCgames.com will get a suitable rating for the game. The contract will specify how all revenue will be collected, stored and disbursed and at what share each party has.

If you win, you will have complete control of your game even after publishing it. We're not "buying the rights" by any means.

~Dave

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
DarkFact, www.phoenix-sentry.com is down. I can't even ping it. Just thought that you would want to know.

Patience and tolerance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. Even the ones that know the most started with many questions.
Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2007 17:36
i see what you mean, you will copyright and publish the game, and give it an age rating, and in return you are given a share of the profits?

Im a new user, im young and FPI-dyslexic, i simply dont have the foggiest and cant learn FPI, so copy and paste code snippets please!
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2007 17:39
Quote: "i see what you mean, you will copyright and publish the game, and give it an age rating, and in return you are given a share of the profits?"
NO you win the publishing contract! please read the first post.

Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2007 17:43 Edited at: 7th Oct 2007 17:43
I KNOW! MY POST WAS EXPLAINING WHAT WOULD HAPPEN AFTER YOU WIN IT

SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2007 17:47
Quote: "I KNOW! MY POST WAS EXPLAINING WHAT WOULD HAPPEN AFTER YOU WIN IT"
They publish your game for free and you make money.

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
@Incense: The site is being moved to a new server this weekend. Thanks for the heads up!

~Dave

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
I know, I'm pretty upset, because this weakend was supposed to be the first beta tests of my Text Based Game, I hope the move is done soon.

Temporarly away from the Phoenix Sentry.
Skywalker
Years of Service
User Offline
DarkFact go ahead and add me to the list and, sorry for takin so long buddy.

"Its not how many times you fall its how many times you get back up!"
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
@Skywalker: No problem Good luck!

~Dave

Trebor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 18:18
Hi DarkFact. Please enter me in the competition.

@Butterfingers- Butter Cutter looks like a neat tool. I like the shootaway columns!

Thank you.

#REPOST# Maybe you missed it first time around...

No matter where you go, there you are.
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hi DarkFact. Please enter me in the competition."

Hi Trebor, I've added you to the list. Good luck!

~Dave

Trebor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 18:41
Thank you, DarkFact!

Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 18:45
Quote: "The game developer will maintain the game copyrights."

Does that mean I have to copyright my game?

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
@Trebor: You're welcome. You'd better get some screens in your post asap though!

~Dave

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Does that mean I have to copyright my game?"

You should read up a bit on copyright law. You don't have to pay anything to copyright anything. Once you write it, create it, draw it, paint it, etc. you have legal rights to all copies of your work. This is US law and the contest is governed by US law.

Now, you CAN pay to have an official record of your copyright with the US govt and other countries.

~Dave

Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 20:14
Im not registered in the US, im in the UK. Im pretty sure the UK Copyright Laws say that i have to pay in order to copyright my game.

Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Im not registered in the US, im in the UK. Im pretty sure the UK Copyright Laws say that i have to pay in order to copyright my game."

That is weird... over in Australia it's like DarkFact described, copyright is pretty much automatic. I thought that's the way it was everywhere in the world.

You could be thinking of obtaining a registered trademark, or registering a business name, because i'm fairly sure both of them cost.

Trebor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 20:24
@ FPI Scripts Copy and Paste , once your game is published in the US, it will be copywritten there. International treaties between the UK, and the US (and most of the world) should cover you fairly well. Just be sure to publish publicly asap (this site will be fine), even if it is a WIP, so you can show earliest ownership.

Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 20:30
But wait. If someone copied my game even though it isnt copyrighted, i can still sue them right? Because i would have the original idea stored on my hard drive with the plot details and story, secrets list, plans for future sequels, add-ons etc.

Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 20:31
So if i get my game published in the US, i will get it covered in the UK too? Sweet.

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "If someone copied my game even though it isnt copyrighted, i can still sue them right? "

By US law, it's copyrighted the moment you create it. You don't even have to say "(C) 2007 by Me". It's automatic.

~Dave

Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 20:41
but ive been told that anywhere you get something copyrighted you have to pay money.
would this still be able to happen even if i dont win the EPC? Also, if you publish it, will that mean it will be sold in the US and i will get some of the profits?

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
We're making the store for FPSCgames.com now. If you don't win and still want to try to publish your game, we can try it on FPSCgames.com.

~Dave

Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 20:52
Thanks a lot DarkFact, but how long will this FPSCgames.com publishing store thing last? because with missing materials i may not have my game finished for a while

piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 23:14
@FPI Scripts Copy and Paste

I'm also in the UK. I was worried about copyrighting blah blah blah. I've checked everything out to make sure.

Let's say for example your name is Mr. X. Your entry could freely say

(C) Mr. X, 2007 etc.

Or whatever you liked along those lines. As long as it's your own work, and you have permission from anyone else who 's work was included, you can legally and freely claim it as Copyrighted to you.

Trademarking is a different matter... I won't go into that. All I know is that That's what you pay for.

www.ciphersoftware.co.uk
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 23:37
A trademark is simply a mark that has been claimed by a company or individual, by legal rights.

In the US, you gotta go through some paper work for that kinda stuff, not sure about the UK. I own a couple trademarks, so I've been through that, and honestly, for something like this it just isn't even close to being worth worrying about until you know for a fact that your game is going to be finished and soon.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Dammit, Jim! I'm a programmer not a graphic designer!!!
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2007 00:43 Edited at: 9th Oct 2007 00:47
<EDIT> Plystire and Cipher were right. You don't pay royalties for any sort of copyright (unless you want an extended one or an official record of the copyright to be kept - but that's only a small fee as far as I'm aware)

[center]
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
That's some good input guys. Thanks for helping clear that up!

There are countless resources on the internet concerning copyright law. I suggest all game developers peruse at least the FAQ pages of their respective county's official copyright office websites.

~Dave

Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2007 20:41 Edited at: 9th Oct 2007 20:41
Erm, im confused...

Copyrighting means to keep legal ownership of the game and no-one is allowed to copy your idea because you have the original files stored on an internal or external hard drive etc?

Whilst Trademarking?

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
You trademark a product name or service name(SM actually) Like Coke(TM) or DarkFaction(TM)

You cannot copyright a name.

~Dave

Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2007 20:51
so someone can make a game and call it coderack?

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
They can if the name is not a trademark or a registered trademark.

~Dave

Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2007 20:54
how much is it to trademark a name?

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 9th Oct 2007 21:10 Edited at: 9th Oct 2007 21:22
Trademarks and service marks are also business and service type dependent. When you apply for a trademark or service mark, you send in copies of the name image, and a complete description of what business or service it pertains to. This gives the name relevance.

In theory, I could start a gaming company called Sears Gaming, even though Sears is a registered trademark of the famous store, Sears, Roebuck and Co. If I were to use the same font and color, they could come after me for infringement or trying to get sales off their notoriety, but since my business would have nothing to do with a department store, it would no be a problem.

Xplosys is a registered trade mark of Xplosys, Corp., and Metro SBS is a registered service mark of Xplosys, Corp. If someone were to open a Small Business Services company using the name Metro SBS, I would have cause to sue them to change the name. If they opened a Steak, Bread and Salad restaurant using Metro SBS, they would have no problem as long as it didn't look like my logo.

That's just an example, but you get the idea.
I think it was 60.00 US each for my marks, but that is for 10 years (I think).

Best.

EDIT: Remember that registering a mark does not prevent others from using it. It only creates documented evidence of date of use, so you can say "I had it first" if you need to argue the point in court.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2007 21:15 Edited at: 9th Oct 2007 21:15
£30 for 10 years? i'd have to sweet talk my dad on that one

So that would be:

My GROUP, IM NOT 18 YFPSD: £30
The name "CodeRack: Alteration" and "CodeRack 2: Genetic Warfare" and the final "CodeRack 3: Parallel Worlds Collide": £90

£120 for 10 years? sounds cool

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2007 21:18 Edited at: 9th Oct 2007 21:19
Just to add to this: You don't HAVE to pay for a TM or SM just like you don't have to pay for a ©. But you do have to pay for a ® (registered).

When you pay to register, you have the maximum protection. In a legal battle, he with the ® will probably not even have to go to court.

This is US law, keep in mind.

~Dave

TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2007 21:42
Quote: "This is US law, keep in mind."

Pretty much the same here. You have to apply for one, but theres loads of forms to fill in. It's a good idea to get a solicitor (lawyer) to guide you through it. I believe that's what Ertlov did with Anderson (but don't quote me on that)

[center]
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2007 01:32 Edited at: 10th Oct 2007 11:26
Quote: "solicitor (lawyer)"

Is THAT why the sign on our front porch says "NO SOLICITORS"? LOL

Yes, Xplosys and DarkFact are right. The only reasoning behind getting such claims is to have a reasonable claim toward "ownership" of that name or piece of software.

If you do want to have FURTHER proof without having to pay anything... put a note saying that you own copyrights to whatever in an envelope and mail it to yourself. The post office will put a LEGAL TIMESTAMP on that envelope. Now keep that thing in a safe place in case you need to prove that you claimed the copyrights since that time. (AND DON'T OPEN IT!! lol)

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

[EDIT]
WOOT!!! 500th post on this thread!

TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2007 21:12
Quote: "
If you do want to have FURTHER proof without having to pay anything... put a note saying that you own copyrights to whatever in an envelope and mail it to yourself. The post office will put a LEGAL TIMESTAMP on that envelope. Now keep that thing in a safe place in case you need to prove that you claimed the copyrights since that time. (AND DON'T OPEN IT!! lol)
"

If only it were that simple...

[center]
mikeh926
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 01:45
Does custom media include things only made by us, or things made by other forum members? Also, do custom textures need to be made before 9.08.07?
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 03:12
Quote: "Does custom media include things only made by us, or things made by other forum members? Also, do custom textures need to be made before 9.08.07?"
Custom media needs to be things you have made after the start date.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 03:12
Already answered, I asked the question. You have to make the media for it to be custom, and things need to be made after the contest start date.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 05:25
Quote: "Quote: "
"

If only it were that simple... "

Heh, it works wonders for patents (I know from experience), so why couldn't it work for this?

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 12:19 Edited at: 11th Oct 2007 12:22
DarkFact if you have time, can you confirm the number of levels we can have?

I just read in the newsletter, and your first post, that it says 2-3 levels in one sentence and 2 to a maximum of 4 in the rules section. This may have been confirmed at 4, however if you could let me know that would be great.
Thanks.

Quote: "If you do want to have FURTHER proof without having to pay anything... put a note saying that you own copyrights to whatever in an envelope and mail it to yourself. The post office will put a LEGAL TIMESTAMP on that envelope. Now keep that thing in a safe place in case you need to prove that you claimed the copyrights since that time. (AND DON'T OPEN IT!! lol)"

Also Plystire's quote is somewhat correct, as i have heard this before.
Not directed towards your comment, However where I live Im not sure about Patent's though, I believe there is a bit of process involved and it has to be something unique.

Good points Xplosys.

We are registered and have TM's is place. Yet where i live we have government services that handle registering a business for you, as well as trademarks. What is also in place is they search the country for the name you are wanting to register and if no one has it its yours.
Google is great for finding names, even get a few people together and brain storm names, and see what results show.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 11:26:39
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 11:26:39