Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Official FPSC Migration Discussion Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 21:17
I doubt work has started on it at this point. Lee seems to be busy updating DBP, most likely to give the people there some attention and bug fixes, and maybe prepping DBP for the migration at the same time.

The one and only,

Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 21:30 Edited at: 30th Jun 2009 21:30
Perhaps they're giving us no news for a purpose? And then suddenly, next week...BAM, the migration is released!

Ich will in Beifall untergehen.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 21:32
I think Lee's actually waiting for us to do it. I mean, if he's upgrading DBP, and we're modding FPSC, he can work on the flagship TGC product that makes TGC most money, while we can fix, (or constantly berate a modder to fix), an issue that's engine bound...

And if Lee's updating DBP, then the fixes like performance increase and bug fixes are passed onto FPSC...

Nevertheless, it would be lovely to see him start work on it, maybe it just seems too daunting for him to rewrite the FPSC engine compared to editing and tweaking DBP right now...

If we're all God's Children, then what's so special about Jesus?
bkinsman
Years of Service
User Offline
if you read the latest newsletter then there is a section on FPSC there. He has sort of started migration.

BJKDAW
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 11:30
Quote: "if you read the latest newsletter then there is a section on FPSC there. He has sort of started migration.
"

Yeah the latest newsletter has lots of incredible information in it.

Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, that was interesting..
Coffeegrunt, hey man. You were on the money with your post above.
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 15:32
I just read Issue #78, it appears that "the first piece of the migration jigsaw is in place".

Migration Discussion Thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142497&b=21
Piracy Discussion Thread:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142774&b=21
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 15:58
The newsletter information was very positive.

Giving us the map editor source code in addition to the game source code will open the door for some great features such as increasing the map size, terrain support, adding more properties options etc.

For X9 users and the mod community this is great news as they will benefit from a totally open souce engine once the next source code release comes out and the migration which will introduce some X10 compatible features.

Not quite so exciting for X10 users though. No plans to release DBPro X10 or the FPSC X10 source code so no mod possibilities there and no X10 features confirmed in the migration.

It appears TGC are taking FPSC X9 down the open source route due to lack of time and resources available to update it. I hope the migration version will still be updated by TGC especially for X10 otherwise those users are going to be really missing out.

Lee has warned the map editor code is not for the feint hearted though so it sounds like our modders are really going to be put to the test with that.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
It also said that they were going to release the map-editor.exe source code, to me this means they are stalling more.

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 16:17
It's good news for modders though I think your right... Stalling the migration maybe....

DocSpoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I just read Issue #78, it appears that "the first piece of the migration jigsaw is in place". "

How big is the jigsaw, though?

We really need some % progress bars or something.

Bloodshot eyes since 1995.
Can't build game? http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=143035&b=24
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "As we have continued to work with the X9 and X10 source code it is becoming clear that the migration version will not have a specific development start date but gradually transform out of the latest version of the code, and with that perspective we could say the migration started weeks ago when we began combining the interface code and adding small features to the source code in support of that."

This reads to me as if the migration is underway, but will simply now be a series of updates rather than a new build.

Also, any of you that keep up with the DBP forums will have noticed that some major performance improvements have been made in the recent beta, which should have a noticeable impact on FPS creator, hopefully, once the DBP beta improvements are complete, Lee will release a further update built with the improve DBP.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 21:00
Quote: "Well, that was interesting..
Coffeegrunt, hey man. You were on the money with your post above. "

Excellent, my psychic powers grow daily!!

I must just be good at understanding the minds of people who wanna make money, I guess...

If we're all God's Children, then what's so special about Jesus?
john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 21:03
ya im sorta losing hope for migration, its a great idea but its gonna be a lonnnnnng time before it comes

shadow666
Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is some quotes that gained my attention.

Quote: "What we are aiming to do is make FPS Creator open source so that other developers can help expand the tool in directions we are struggling to find time and resources for."

Quote: "Before we can even think about migration it makes sense to unify the interface so there is less code to maintain moving forward."

Quote: "At the moment we are working to unify the source code for the various FPS Creator interfaces out there. We have one for X9, one for X10 and one for an internal version we are working on."

Quote: "I can reveal that an internal version, based on the source code you currently call V115, has been augmented with the entire source code to the FPSC-MapEditor.exe binary which means that you 'could' make changes to the editing of levels as well as affecting in-game behavior."

Quote: "At the present time it looks as though the migration version will be based primarily on FPS Creator X9 source code, with compatible elements of X10 brought across."

Quote: "Although there are no plans beyond the migration 'transition', there is a general feel that making the FPS Creator source code open to the public and to some degree controlled by that community will produce features and variants that we would otherwise not have time or resources to bring about internally."

Question for anyone, referring to 'compatible elements of X10 '
What other features does x10 have apart from graphic (bloom etc.) and allies over x9? (not including Mods allready for x9)

Are they saying that once they have a combined FPSC interface based on x9/x10, for the Internal version based on the v115 x9 source code. Augmented with the entire source code to the FPSC-MapEditor.exe binary, going to the Open Source release?
Is this classed as the Migration 'transition' once compatible elements of X10 are added?
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
I am just hoping that migration will fix the issue with things going through the floor,light shinning through closed doors, falling through custom large terrain. A better frame rate would be a huge plus, a.k.a timer system.

Patience and tolerance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. Even the ones that know the most started with many questions.
DocSpoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I am just hoping that migration will fix the issue with things going through the floor,light shinning through closed doors, falling through custom large terrain. A better frame rate would be a huge plus, a.k.a timer system."

Keep in mind that it's extra features being added, not a bug fix.

Bloodshot eyes since 1995.
Can't build game? http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=143035&b=24
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 18:59
Yes, but Lee doesn't want to just keep adding features if there are significant bugs that can be fixed. He's mentioned that when he continued to release the 1.14 and 1.15 updates. He'd rather get to a point where it was easier to combine the two and not have to deal with the bugs that we've dealt with for a while.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 21:34
@deca:

The only thing X10 had that was ONLY for an X10 GPU and could not be achieved through X9, was GPU instancing. This can be mimicked in X9, but without it being true GPU instancing, it's not even worthy of being called a feature.

I was able to sneak a peek into the shaders for X10 and although the shaders Lee used for Bloom and whatnot were using SM4.0 (meaning X10 only), they could still be achieved through SM3.0, albeit they won't be as efficient or as fast (but I blame not having a great GPU for that)

Everything else could be used in X9 no problems. Unless I missed something very important here.

@Gunn3r:

If Lee wants to get all of the bugs fixed, he may want to look into the buggy Save/Load screen. Vanilla FPSC using V1.15 has bugged back images for the save and load screens.

He would also want to take a look into optimizing the portal system. In all honesty, I think he should just do it right this time, meaning make sure it WORKS no matter how long it takes to calculate it. In my mind, the developer should be prepared for long build times, just so long as the final built product doesn't have them. The portal system calculates when building the game so that it won't have to after it's built.

@incense:

Quote: "things going through the floor"

ODE collision issue

Quote: "light shinning through closed doors"

This is due to the way dynamic entities (doors included) are diffused with the average color of lights nearby. By diffusing them, their entire body is "coated" in this light, meaning if light is on one side of the entity, it'll be on the other side as well.
This could be fixed if Lee implemented a unified lighting system and made proper shaders for lighting.

Quote: "falling through custom large terrain"

Again, this is an ODE issue.
But you need to realize that all systems have their drawbacks and developers need to learn how to work around the ones that they can't solve. (Example: If you find a spot on your terrain where the player falls through... put a box or some other scenary on top of that spot )

Quote: "A better frame rate would be a huge plus, a.k.a timer system"

I've said it before, but apparently not everyone heard it.
"Timer System" does NOT give you a better framerate. It is an illusion. Your framerate will still be crap, but objects will move at different speeds depending on your framerate, to make it so the game won't slow down when the framerate falls and won't go too fast when the framerate rises.

The one and only,

bkinsman
Years of Service
User Offline
what would be really cool is if they put a progress bar at the top of the page before where it says Home, Shop etc. and it gets updated by 1-2% every time they make progress with the migration, that way people won't keep saying when is the migration out. People will just be able to see the percentage of completion at the top.

Sorry just thinking out loud

BJKDAW
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 16:50 Edited at: 4th Jul 2009 22:06
I have fiddled around with code but I have no passion for programming. therefore I leave to the experts. What the cause of the issues are is a mystery to me and explaining it would be a waste as I would probably not understand it. Like others I have a wish list. It is shorter than most but then I have few needs.

the work that people do seldom goes rewarded.

I think that everyone is doing a great job.

Migration is just another foot step on a long road.

NOTE: This post is about migration and therefore is not off topic. Thank you.

Have a great day.

Patience and tolerance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. Even the ones that know the most started with many questions.
koolman v2
Years of Service
User Offline
theres been some roomers going around that the migration has been canceled is this true?

(I hope not )

http://breakingpointthegame.webs.com/banner.png
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2009 04:03
I dunno. You probably heard wrong. BTW, 'roomers' is actually spelt 'rumours' or 'rumors'.

"You are not smart! You are very un-smart!"
Coach Shogun 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2009 07:44
Quote: "I dunno. You probably heard wrong. BTW, 'roomers' is actually spelt 'rumours' or 'rumors' and are usually false."

I fixed your post Toasty.

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2009 08:15

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 01:52
I doubt it, tgc just posted a whole load of information in the latest newsletter about what their plans are and that they have started work on it, i doubt they would do this so quickly after telling us all that info and i think they would tell us if they did...

Codstre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 04:45
i hope that this comes out soon, but i guess that would just crush my dreams, cause i know everyone has been waiting forever for this to happen...

-Cody
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 15:22 Edited at: 8th Jul 2009 15:23
I did a text search for the word migration in the last news letter and did not find it.

In fact in the last six newsletters migration is mentioned but there is no talk of any real work being done on it, no time table either.

Hmmmm.

I am a supporter of the project but I am beginning to wonder.

Kerrby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 06:54
From what I read in the newsletter, work hasn't even been started on the Migration yet.

WizMod Developer.
Woolfman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 07:49
Wow that's a shame. Seems like Migrations going to be pushed to the middle of next year the way things are going. Guess I'm going back to cheeking every other week.
Gibba gobba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 06:05
if its coming in 2010 thats gunna really(and i mean REALLY) suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Yours Truly
koolman v2
Years of Service
User Offline
when start middle or end

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 11:02
Quote: "if its coming in 2010 thats gunna really(and i mean REALLY) suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Well, buckle in for a deppressing three years, because I'm not expecting a full release until about 2012.

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
In 2012 everyone should at least have a PC good enough to run x10...

Temporarly away from the Phoenix Sentry.
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Well, buckle in for a deppressing three years, because I'm not expecting a full release until about 2012."

What facts have you gathered to make you say that?

DarkFrost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 18:41
At that rate they are better off developing a whole new fpsc with a better engine and such. I rather get a stabler,cleaner map editor that is capable of building games with hdr lighting,sharper quality,advanced AI, and capabilities such as the use of cars,planes in the stock release. As well as the use of scripts in multiplayer etc.

[img][/img]

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 22:55
The Migration version is likely to be along just as soon as Lee can get it out as its a necessary benefit to TGC. How long that will be and where TGC and FPSC go from there is another matter.

Another engine developed from a different base language? You can hope - and that would certainly take rather longer to put it mildly - if it were to be developed from scratch. It requires a great deal of investment and resources, a long term strategy and constant forward planning and updating throughout the development life cycle, otherwise its likely it would be outdated before released I would have thought. Brave it is for anyone to think of taking that on. Few of those there are in the indie world where low cost engines are the order of the day.

250 seamless textures : http://www.umedia.co.uk
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2009 13:16
Quote: "What facts have you gathered to make you say that?"

None. It's a rough estimate. I'd expect a beta within the next half a year, but a full release when most features that were promised make it in shouldn't be expected for a while.

Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
well Lee said to my some weeks ago, that he has not started and "The migration is some way off yet, you can modify the current source code with no fear."
So we all dont know what will happen!

... efxMod Developer!
Gibba gobba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2009 06:18
wow, is he still even planning to do it!

-Yours Truly
Kerrby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2009 08:52
Quote: "wow, is he still even planning to do it!
"

He is still planning to do it I think. It's just taken him 18 months to say that he still hasn't started working on it.

Who knows when or even if this is going to come out.

WizMod Developer.
koolman v2
Years of Service
User Offline
whats this Lee doing

taking a years holiday or something

how long does it take to set up a meeting

seriously this is really slow

The Fps Creator rocks!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2009 21:37 Edited at: 24th Jul 2009 21:38
This post is... use

I want a new computer!
The Fps Creator rocks!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2009 21:38
less.

I want a new computer!
Lewis
VBOTB Developer '10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 03:20
The Fps Creator rocks!, yes it is, and If I were a mod, I would give you a well deserved noob slapping for that and put you on a 3 day post moderation. Your lucky I'm not.

If you've got nothing to say that contributes, dont post at all.
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 15:44
No Migration updates yet.

Migration Discussion Thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142497&b=21
Piracy Discussion Thread:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142774&b=21
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 15:48
The Fps Creator rocks what was the point of that?

Quote: "The Fps Creator rocks!, yes it is, and If I were a mod, I would give you a well deserved noob slapping for that and put you on a 3 day post moderation. Your lucky I'm not."

Fortunately I am and that's what you're getting. Don't post useless threads.

Kerrby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 16:06
Quote: "No Migration updates yet."

Maybe Lee will come out in next months newsletter and be all like "Haha, we got you good. As if we havn't started on the migration yet, it's coming out just before Christmas".

We can all dream .

WizMod Developer.
gladius
Years of Service
User Offline
this would be AMAZING, I can't believe I had not heard of it sooner!
It seems so grand, I hope it doesn't fall by the wayside as so many great ideas do.
koolman v2
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Maybe Lee will come out in next months newsletter and be all like "Haha, we got you good. As if we havn't started on the migration yet, it's coming out just before Christmas"."

we all wish

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 07:41:35
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 07:41:35