Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Official FPSC Migration Discussion Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: ""Maybe Lee will come out in next months newsletter and be all like "Haha, we got you good. As if we havn't started on the migration yet, it's coming out just before Christmas"."
no this will happen christmas of 2012 on december21 ahahahahahahah......

divernika
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 12:51
Quote: "Fortunately I am and that's what you're getting. Don't post useless threads."

Lol.

Quote: "Maybe Lee will come out in next months newsletter and be all like "Haha, we got you good. As if we havn't started on the migration yet, it's coming out just before Christmas"."

Yeah, that would be very nice.

Migration Discussion Thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142497&b=21
Piracy Discussion Thread:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142774&b=21
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 13:54 Edited at: 27th Jul 2009 13:58
Lee made it quite clear in the newsletter that the 1st part of the migration jigsaw is in place i.e. a map editor that works with X9 and X10 (with a few features missing at the moment).

The actual code migration work has not started yet and could be some time before there is any real progress. The general vibe of the newsletter is that TGC are looking to make FPSC completely open source so the community can add features they have not had the time or resources to.

It's possible DBPro X10 could be released in the migration timeframe and TGC hinted the FPSC X10 source would be made public at that time which kind of backs up the open source approach.

We've seen a decline in the regularity of FPSC updates as TGC has grown and offered more products so perhaps open source will be better than waiting for updates at a moments notice with no timescales or confirmed features.

Its a shame FPSC has so much unrealised potential because TGC haven't been able to give it dedicated support. I really hope the migration delivers because it could be a long wait.

Hopefully the August newsletter will be more encouraging.
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
It just seems that there are very few people working with code when it comes to people that work for or with TGC. I thinking that Lee has a hard time trusting anyone with updates, product development, Marketing, Deployment and so on. If they had more people actually working on each product then no product would suffer. FPSC still has issues, but then we all knew that. FPSC is the only retail product that I use from TGC so I can only speak from that point of view. FPSC is suffering a little as far as development it seems because other products have to be worked on first. If there were more people working on those products then FPSC would not have to wait so long for improvement or further development.

I do not have an inside track as it seems some users do. There is no way that I could know for sure about anything unless TGC makes an actual appearance and says something. I am not sure where others get their inside information from but I would like to have that kind of pipeline to the source.

As far as migration is concerned, I only know what I see. I have seen nothing for a long while.

Patience and tolerance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. Even the ones that know the most started with many questions.
Caesar Green
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Its a shame FPSC has so much unrealised potential because TGC haven't been able to give it dedicated support. I really hope the migration delivers because it could be a long wait."

I agree...

It could be a very long wait. It apears that the migration project is a very large undertaking, and one that does not directly support TGC's bottom line. Due to the apparently limited resources available for such a project (and its lack of direct revenue generation) I would expect the migration project will always be at the bottom of the list, and undertaken on a "best effort" basis.

I don't have a "direct line" either, this is just my observation based on reading this and other topics in the TGC forums.

If we do see the migration project come about at all, I will be (happily) surprised. No disrespect to TGC; I enjoy FPSC very much. But any company's first priority is generating revenue...I expect TGC is no different in that regard.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2009 07:49
Well

I'm afraid the August newsletter doesn't really confirm any further activity on the migration but a DBPro update came out so I guess Lee is busy getting the latest version out of beta.

One thing mentioned for X9 is new FPI commands for advanced text displays and multi-entity script logic but they won't be available just yet.

X10 will be getting an update (v110) to add store integration to the map editor.

Sounds like some internal testing has been done around the migrated map editor which has been successful so thats something but I'm not going to hold out for a migration being done this year.
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2009 15:15
UPDATE 09/08/09

FPSC X9 V1.16 is in BETA2. According to Lee, a lot of things have been going on behind the scenes, possibly hinting the migration. The V1.16 update seems to be a preparation for the migration.

Migration Discussion Thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142497&b=21
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2009 13:24
UPDATE 12/08/09

FPSC X9 V1.16 BETAs 3 and 4 have been released. Every update is another step closer to the migration

OmarJA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2009 15:49
Sooooo...

Is it still gonna happen.
Gibba gobba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2009 08:33
they said something about spider character glitches and thought it was ragdoll beta. wut was that all about???

-Yours Truly
Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2009 18:01
When is lee starting this ? This thread is over 1 year old !

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's taller than 600x120
lil marioman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2009 18:21
Quote: "When is lee starting this ? This thread is over 1 year old !"

[offtopic]
No it isn't. It'd have to be December for this thread to be one year old
[/offtopic]

Be patient. Lee has other things to work on, and Migration isn't as easy as it sounds. Besides, there are still some tiny bugs that need to be squished. And with new technology coming out, (such as the Virtual Reality Headset thingy) he's gonna want to implement that too...

I'm scared of bugs. I mean that in more ways than one.
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2009 19:43
UPDATE 14/08/09

FPSC V1.16 BETA 5 has been released.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Lee also said we would see the merged X9/X10 interface in this update, which means the migration has officially started.

Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2009 03:29
Nice, so the beta 5 has parts of x10 in it ?

download free fpsc (x9 and x10) games here
http://fpsc-games.webs.com/
branion
Years of Service
User Offline
that is great a migration

branion is great
Wraith Staff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2009 15:05
Quote: "Lee also said we would see the merged X9/X10 interface in this update, which means the migration has officially started."

Really hope you're not kidding... I've been away for a while and haven't been keeping up on the migration news. If the migration is going to be anywhere near soon (like before Christmas) I'll hold off finishing Physix until it is! Though I'd need more "solid" news to that effect. I'll defiantly be following this thread with MailBack!

My cubes keep getting caught in the vents!!!
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2009 18:53
Yeah, it is really great news. I think Lee is taking care to make sure that whatever form of the Migration is built, it is more or less in a stable form (which is more than I can say for some earlier versions of FPSC...).

Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2009 18:56
Following on from my previous post, it is clear that Lee is preparing for the migration. As we know, the map editor source will be released (intresting to see what some of the more advanced users here do with it), and the FPSC source has been upgraded (I think those are the right words)to DBP U74.

Nike
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2009 11:21 Edited at: 31st Aug 2009 22:14
I hope the migration would be here soon. and it would have ragdoll :I

U want a signature like this? Hit me with email and let's see what i can do for you
Wraith Staff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2009 22:52
UPDATE:

According to the newsletter that was just sent out:

Quote: "As part of our 'gradual migration effort' one of the first steps was to bring the FPS Creator source code onto the very latest version of DBP and in doing so solves all the problems previously stated. We now compile FPSC on the same version of DBP that you have, which means access to the source code for public use is much easier for us to provide and it means you get a few bonus benefits too, such as a performance increase."

Which means that the migration has officially started!!! YAY!!!!

DarkFrost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2009 22:59 Edited at: 1st Sep 2009 23:04
A tad late tho...btw i was curious as to how this would work. Would there be an upgrade that would only be compatible with installations of 9 and 10? Or will people who bought fpsc receive a download for v2 in there mailbox thingy.

Hopefully its some sort of simple update download that would require pre installation of x9 or 10 as well as the serial you recieved for use with x10/x9.

Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2009 23:03
Probolly just a normall update

Join the forums and download fpsc games here:
http://fpsc-games.webs.com/
Windows Vista,ATI Readon HD 4870,AMD Athlon 7750 64 Dual Core,4GB ram,SoundBlaster Audigy,EFX Free Edition
Jewish dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2009 23:41
@Bigsnake, I doubt it's an update. This will be a different program than x9 or x10. Because it's combining both interfaces. And an update is usually around 20Mb-30Mb. And people who have Fpsc X9 will get X10 in the new program. And X10 has more models than x9 and more features. It would be an extremely large update and your looking about 20-30 mins of waiting for that update to complete. What I wonder is will we be able to mod it? Probably in the future, but Idk. How will we have updates? Like update Migration version 1.01? Or fpscx9 version 1.17? and Fpscx10 version 1.10? I'm not sure how the interface will be. I first it seemed like x9 is getting everything x10 has but now it seems like they're just using one program to combine the two. Meaning you start up Fpsc Migration, then it has a menu where you pick which version you want. If that's the case then I'd say SCREW THE MIGRATION. If all it is a launcher program that lets you pick which one you want to use, Why say it's gonna be easier to work on when you have to make seperate updates for two different programs that are just using the same starter platform. I'm sorry if this is confusing anyone. I've read up on what Lee said about it and if only judging what he said it's going to be, then it looks like x9 is getting everything x10 has but more features than x10. He said something about possible vehicle support. So yeah that's a plus.

Koolio
Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2009 23:47
so you reckon youd have to buy fpsc again ? mmmm, sounds resenable if lee/tgc (If they are helping) is putting tons of effort into this

http://fpsc.freephpbb3.com/index.php
Windows Vista,ATI Readon HD 4870,AMD Athlon 7750 64 Dual Core,4GB ram
DarkFrost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2009 23:49
Thought it was supposed to be a "Free major update". Nevertheless it isnt coming for a LOOOONG time so im not going to bother thinking about it for the time being.

crumbaker
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 01:25
x10 still feels incomplete, wish Lee would hire more people forget about iphone stuff and make it the software we were lead to believe we were getting from the youtube previews. Forget migration.
Jewish dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 06:51 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2009 06:53
Quote: "so you reckon you'd have to buy fpsc again ?"

Not at all. I'm saying if it's not an update which it probably will be, at first I thought he'd have it as a download for only fpscx9 or x10 users, but that would be hard seeing as TGC would have to look and see which account ordered Fpsc. So yeah never mind......... I think it's an update. It just stinks cause I have to buy Fpsc again. My email got shutdown and I can't remember my old password, so I can't receive my old password anyway. Sigh.... Oh well I'll just buy fpsc Bonanza and save a lot of money. Well migration is a big update for fpscx9 users but not so much for x10 users. But anyway, YES, THE MIGRATION WILL BE FREE FOR ALL FPSC X9 OR X10 USERS

Koolio
Wraith Staff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 12:41
This has gotten a little out of hand!

@Jewish dude
Not even YOU will have to buy it again(assuming that you havn't deleted FPSC off your computer all together!) The migration is administred just as any regular update is... I know this because it (if you read my last post or the newsletter) has already started. No need to worry.

@Cyclone
Quote: "Nevertheless it isnt coming for a LOOOONG time so im not going to bother thinking about it for the time being.
"

Like I just said, it's already started. Though Lee said that it's a "gradual migration process", it shouldn't take too long since it's being developed as we speak.

@marc steene
Could you post Lee's glorious announcement from the newsletter on the main post? Like I said, it's in the newsletter... That way it's not like I'm the only one who supposedly "knows" this

@Everyone else

Welcome to the thread

DarkFrost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 16:55
Quote: "Welcome to the thread "

Ahah made me laugh. Anyways Im not jumping to conclusions but my estimate for this release is...ummmm march.

Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 18:27
Quote: "Not at all. I'm saying if it's not an update which it probably will be, at first I thought he'd have it as a download for only fpscx9 or x10 users, but that would be hard seeing as TGC would have to look and see which account ordered Fpsc"

Oh right

http://fpsc.freephpbb3.com/index.php
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 19:02 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2009 19:03
I think that you best wait until the Migration whatever that means exactly takes place and beyond to see where this is going and what you will and wont get.

Currently I must admit that personally and currently I am no longer sure what exactly Migration means in this instance. Not sure that anyone does.

Originally I had understood that following the Migration there will be only one new version of FPSC, though in the reality of real life business that TGC face it could I guess be 1, 2 or 3.

Your guess is as good as mine I am sure.

250 seamless textures : http://www.umedia.co.uk
Wraith Staff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 19:07
The point is that you'd download the update just like all the other versions... no account info needed. If you don't have FPSC, then you couldn't really DO anything with it, anyway. TGC knows this and thus updates are just posted on the forums (and eventually the official site as well) as stand-alone upgrades. Also, the x9 and x10's interfaces aren't that dynamically different... There's really no need for a "major" overhaul, just tons of new x9 features and tons of x10 fixes to keep them both up to par with one another . In short, combining the two (similar) sources of x9&10... Very difficult, but easier than most people think

As for release dates... Who knows? Just hopefully before Christmas!

Wraith Staff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 19:58
Well put, uman!

Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 21:01
why didnt you edit your post to put that in ?

oh yea, your sig
Quote: "My cubes keep getting caught in the vents!!!"

lol

visit home page - http://fpsc.freephpbb3.com/index.php
Wraith Staff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2009 00:49 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2009 00:50
Honestly? Laziness... Pure and simple. It's just the way I am. If that offends anyone, or takes up too much bandwidth on vBulletin, I'm sorry. Sometimes I just don't think about stuff and take the route that causes me the least... eh, thinking... yeah. Sorry.

Also, there's actually a funny story about the "cubes" thing from a post I made a while back: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=150124&b=23

I'm fairly good at scripting, but this one had me stumped and again... with the whole "thinking" thing, I goofed up with my wording with semi-funny results... Needless to say, it stuck with me

Thankfully, the cube-thing worked itself out (if you keep reading) and I managed to get a dev contract for the game I was working on... but that's a whole other story (published FPSC games and stuff)... but yeah, sorry...

Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 16:04
It seems this threads popularity just rose again, JUST when my internet cuts out for two days I really need to clear a few things up here.

Quote: "I hope the migration would be here soon. and it would have ragdoll :I"

It will have ragdoll, this is in the first post.

Quote: "Which means that the migration has officially started!!! YAY!!!!"

Great news

Quote: "Would there be an upgrade that would only be compatible with installations of 9 and 10? Or will people who bought fpsc receive a download for v2 in there mailbox thingy."

I don't really get what you're saying. The migration won't be an upgrade, it will be its own standalone program. As it will be free to FPSC owners, I'm assuming Lee will make the Migration allow FPSC X9 Serials, X10 Serials, and "Migration Serials" to validate the program.

Quote: "Hopefully its some sort of simple update download that would require pre installation of x9 or 10"

It is definatly not going to be a "simple update download". I think what people need to understand is that this is a new standalone program, which will have it's own folders and files etc. It is not an upgrade. Requiring the pre-installation of X9 or X10 would be stupid, what if you bought FPSCX9/X10 but uninstalled it? As it is it's own program, required installation would be unecessary.

Quote: "What I wonder is will we be able to mod it?"

As stated in the first post, the Migration will be open source.

Quote: "How will we have updates? Like update Migration version 1.01? Or fpscx9 version 1.17?"

Once again, I think everyone needs to understand it will be it's own application, it will not rely on X9 or X10. Why would they name the Migrations update "fpscx9 1.17"?

Quote: "so you reckon youd have to buy fpsc again ?"

It's free to owners of X9/X10.
Quote: "
Could you post Lee's glorious announcement from the newsletter on the main post? Like I said, it's in the newsletter... That way it's not like I'm the only one who supposedly "knows" this"

Yep, will do it now

This is a small note to everyone before they post on this thread: READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE YOU POST HERE IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY!

There are a few questions and misconceptions which would be cleared up if you read the first post. Preferably all of it.

Wraith Staff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 16:36 Edited at: 4th Sep 2009 20:29
@marc steene:
Thanks for adding Lee's newsletter quote to the main post... It's so awesome that the migration is finally up and moving!

UPDATE:

I just got this reply from Lee:

Quote: "It is fair to say that some elements of the spirit of the migration version are making there way into the V116 version, less a big bang announcement more of a slow motion stealth attack. Again don't expect new features, just a slow march to increased stability and predictability."

Time frame is still looking like a bit of an issue... But most users already know that

Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 22:33
UPDATE 04/09/09

FPSC V1.16 BETA 6 has been released.

Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2009 17:19
UPDATE 10/09/09

FPSC V1.16 BETA 8 has been released. Hope the official one is going to come out soon

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2009 17:45
If you want to know what the migration version is all about and what it will contain then you should follow the FPSC 9 update thread. What the updates contain are what you you will get - if you are very lucky and none of the content is dropped out of necessity along the way.

This thread contains no more than mere speculation.

References to possible features such as Ragdoll Physics or Dark AI are just hopeful wishes at this time.

You are advised to ignore most of these kinds of comments from users and dont bank on such features or you may be dissapointed.

If not then you will indeed be very lucky.

Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2009 18:56
Quote: "References to possible features such as Ragdoll Physics or Dark AI are just hopeful wishes at this time."

Lee confirmed these features several times (that is, assuming he is still sticking to the current feature list. He doesn't have a reason not to). The features on the first post are confirmed by Lee himself, the hopeful wishes features are in the "Reasonable, wanted features section".

Quote: "If you want to know what the migration version is all about and what it will contain then you should follow the FPSC 9 update thread."

I feel this thread is a better source of information for the Migration. All references to it (in newsletters and updates etc.) are added to first post. I also added a few interviews with Lee done by myself and various other forum members, which I have yet to see in any update thread at all. This thread is picking out those tasty scraps of information and putting it all together.

And yes, there is speculation. Hence why the thread is named "Migration Discussion thread".

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2009 00:24
With the best will in the world and all good intentions, there are indeed many reasons and factors influencing why game engine developers may vary or evolve their product to various ends which may or may not be what they or users would ultimately or ideally like to see.

Sometimes these things may be of choice and other times of necessity.

Dark AI may be of great benefit to FPSC, but that is not yet shown to be the case. On the other hand Rag Doll Physics will be at the bottom or should be, of Lees list of priorities as it has no intrinsic value in benefit, though unless FPSC has the stability of maintaining more than adequate fps gameplay speeds then Rag Doll may be a burden that the engine cannot afford.

There are a lot of maybes and priorities yet to flow on the road to further FPSC development.

Additional features will be the last thing you will be likely to get and quite rightly so until stability is assured and that needs to be assured for the Migration version if that is not a permanently evolving thing before you get unecessary additional and supurfluous gamemaking eye candy.

Reducing the burden and stability on the engine is still a priority. Dark AI may have benefit in reducing the burden of AI, then again maybe not. There are many other things which could have impact on improving engine performance and gameplay experience which you are unlikely to see introduced.

I am sure you will get both additional and improvements to current low priority features as and when possible thrown into the mix somewhere down the line but dont expect them anytime soon. Probably after the Migration if you are lucky.

A better World physics system in general overall would be one thing......

Rag Doll really is nothing more than a luxury, icing on the cake, of little value to FPSC currently and never of any unless the engine burden can support it with much excess room to spare.

Personally I hope you never see it or get it at the expense of even basic game making features that FPSC does not have.

I am not against it or any other feature - the more the merrier - all good for us Indie game makers if we can get them and get away with it. Alas never has that been the case to date.

Said my bit now I will leave you guys in peace to do your discussion.

What do I know anyway.

Field meister_Gilmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2009 02:34
Quote: "The migration will be a free major update to all existing FPS Creator users"

Does this mean you can only get it if you already own FPSC?

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) so it begins...
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2009 12:28
uman, I totally agree with you. If the project is going to be done properly (or even at all), it needs to be set out in a realistic timeframe with the core features being implemented first and ensuring the program is stable enough to add more features.

Quote: "Does this mean you can only get it if you already own FPSC?"

If you already own FPSC, it will be free. My guess is you will also be able to buy it as a standalone product from the TGC website.

Field meister_Gilmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2009 15:48
well that sucks.

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) so it begins...
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2009 08:21
Quote: "
Lee confirmed these features several times (that is, assuming he is still sticking to the current feature list. He doesn't have a reason not to)"

Sure he does. Lots.

Eidos!
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2009 17:17
There are some signs with the latest versions on my systems at least that in current development towards integration towards the Migration version - there are improvements to the capability of FPSC to hold up frame rates and game play speeds.

Thats encouraging and lets hope that is capitalised upon and improved further as it develops towards full Migration.

Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2009 21:43
I wonder what Lee is working on now. I reckon it will be X10 V1.10 update. I get the feeling that could be one of the last updates which X10 receives. The V1.09 update fixed a load of issues, so hopefully there isn't too much work left to do before we have stable releases of X9 and X10

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Well i cant believe that no one has put forward the idea of having Airmod in the new version! Well at least the iron sight side of it. That would make FPSC the best possible version and wouldnt really need any mods cause nothing would be able to everything!!!

In the editor, will the sights for X10 as in the radius of charactors be included? Basically, will the settings in the editor for charactors be possible in the new version?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 06:24:53
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 06:24:53