Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] FPSC IP v3.1 - Multiplayer Lobby, Multiple Levels, S4Mod Special Edition and more...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2009 15:57
Quote: "
I do play Call Of Duty: World At War multiplayer on the Wii and Timesplitters multiplayer on the PS2 etc...
Is there something wrong with the way I'm doing the lobby system?"

Not at all, you just sounded a little foreign to certain staples of multiplayer lobbies and whatnot. Not a negative thing at all.

...and on the seventh day, Pus rested.
knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2009 20:56 Edited at: 24th Feb 2009 11:58
The wizard idea is good

What do you mean by Vista looking?
At the moment if you run it on Vista it will switch to the Vista style automatically.
Or do you mean a Vista style in XP?

I've also done a quick ping application to demonstrate how it would ping the host and display the connection.
The current speeds in milliseconds:
Green = 0-50
Orange = 51-100
Red = 101+

Do you think these speeds are correct or not because I've been looking at google and apparently that's what's good for gaming.
You can download the ping application from this post.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
gorba flamingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2009 21:43
ahh yes, a setup like install creators would be grand
where you cn either go through a wizard or do it yourself
+ patches, download and update to the latest version of the game.

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/gorbafletch]
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2009 22:00
Been doing some more thinking. How about being able to set time and/or frag limits in the game lobby? This would make matches more flexible.

MASSIVE new multiplayer game coming soon!
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "+ patches, download and update to the latest version of the game."

If your talking about updates he already has that has an expansion check the downloads spot on his site.

Knxrb are you gonna do auto port forwarding? If you don't know where to start i can give you a sorta base that you can look at as a reference, because that feature would help a lot of people

knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 10:30 Edited at: 24th Feb 2009 11:58
@Pus In Boots: Frag and time limit changing is a great idea.
That's going to be in the next release as well now

@hockeykid: I'e been researching it and it's apparently difficult to get it working with all different types of routers etc.
It will be even harder for me to test it as I'm behind a DNS server and a DHCP server therefore preventing me from doing port forwarding.
At the moment I've got to ask my dad to manually forward the port for me.

If you've got something that could point me in the right direction then please send it to me as I'd be very grateful

knxrb

knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 10:57 Edited at: 24th Feb 2009 18:07
FPSC IP V3.1 Progress Report:
I've finished updating the web scripts and databases and I'm now moving on the the actual program
Version 3 will not work with the new features and developers must upgrade when it is finished.

= In Development
= Finished
= Not sure if it is to be added or not

(100%) Pinging for connection speed checking, will show speed as red/orange/green customizable picture next to game name.
(10%) XBOX controller option.
(100%) Kicking player from game (host only).
(0%) Friends list to see if your friends are online or not, and possibly what game they are playing at the time.
(100%) Multiplayer levels shown in list instead of 'Next' and 'Previous' buttons (multi-level feature).
(100%) Host can name their game session.
(20%) Allow host to change Time Limit & Frag Count.

knxrb

Chaosa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 11:06
Sounds very interesting. If I had a better graphics card and a better internet, I would use this.

-Chaosa

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 13:18
great list,by vista look i meant to make more fancy layour with graphics ect. your ping tool is pretty accurate,shows around 500 for counter strike server 217.163.22.166,in counter strike it shows around 500 too.keep it going

A.K.A. djmaster
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 20:06
Nice set of features, really hope they all come to fruition. If I may suggest yet another idea, how about a sort of ranking system? On the menu, you could have a stats page for things like kill/death ratio, win/loss ratio, total points, total games played, etc. Based on these stats (or whatever stats are involved) Symbols should be displayed to other players in the lobby indicating whether each opponent is more or less skilled than they are. Or maybe even just display how many games the opponent has won if you wanna keep things simple.

Something along these lines would be really cool to see for both bragging rights and assessment of your opponent's abilities. If you do use this idea, just be sure it's all calculated well. There must be some simple formula that can spit out a number based on wins, losses and total games, or something along those lines. Also, I strongly urge you to get some of the recent MP shooters to see how these things are applied in the mainstream. Timesplitters can only teach you so much, ya know?

knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 20:20 Edited at: 24th Feb 2009 20:25
Call Of Duty 5 has the rank icons next to your name so as you get your level up your rank changes...

It would currently be possible with amount of times played...the more you play the higher your level goes.

I'll contact Plystire to see if he can edit the mod to make it tell my app the kill count for the player and if he was the winner or not, then it can be based on how many frags you get in a game and the winner could get an extra 20 points added to their level.

That way even if you are defeated you will still get at least some points because you would still have killed another player.

knxrb

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 22:24 Edited at: 24th Feb 2009 22:30
Quote: "apparently difficult to get it working with all different types of routers"

You wouldn't have to do it for all different routers if your source code is setup right you could have the server open the ports.

By the way i'm working on a new banner in the sizes you wanted.

(the last one wasn't that good)

How about the ability for player to dispute the map picked (players vote against it) and majority rules and if the map gets disputed the map gets randomly picked.

Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 01:10
Quote: "That way even if you are defeated you will still get at least some points because you would still have killed another player."

Sounds good. Although this has got me thinking, how about have two point systems: rank (relative skill) and experience points. Experience points; as you said, can be awarded in small quantities for getting kills and in bonus quantities for winning matches. Rank will be an average representation of the player's skill. To see how this works in the industry (by leading publishers) in a mathematical and theoretical context, you should check out this link:

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/trueskill/details.aspx

It's all about microsoft's coveted TrueSkill system, which seems to be based around an algorithm of some sort. I didn't understand a lot of it, but as a programmer you should know what the deal is. I think this quote sums it up nicely, though:

Quote: "Thus, the skill of a player in the TrueSkill ranking system can be thought of as the average performance of the player over a large number of games."

If you can boil that down to an FPSCIP-friendly code- or whatever it is you do- then we should have a ranking system to hold it's own. As I said, this should work alongside linear experience points.

game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
I have tried the mod by replacing the m.exe but it still takes me to the screen where i have to type my name then I get stuck there. Even when I press enter, nothing happens. Does it only work for joining a game or does it work for hosting a game to because I was trying to host a game.

knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 10:55
Quote: "I have tried the mod by replacing the m.exe but it still takes me to the screen where i have to type my name then I get stuck there. Even when I press enter, nothing happens. Does it only work for joining a game or does it work for hosting a game to because I was trying to host a game."

At the moment it only works if you've bought the Lobby & Chat feature.

Quote: "How about the ability for player to dispute the map picked (players vote against it) and majority rules and if the map gets disputed the map gets randomly picked."

Nice Idea, I'll think about adding that in

@Pus In Boots: Thanks for the link, I'll look into it and see what I can come up with.

knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 11:24 Edited at: 25th Feb 2009 12:29
I've been working on a ranking system based on the Call Of Duty 5 ranking system. It's based on win/lose/draw game and kill count and I think it covers all areas.
It is just an idea so please criticise it and make suggestions if you want to.
The leveling up has also been done so the first few levels are easy to get and then the higher your level the more games and kills you have to get to level up.

Please Note: I've not used real code for the code example as I've made it simple and easy to understand for other users who don't know code so they can see how if would work.
View Ranking System

knxrb

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 13:03
very good,if you can make it working,it will be perfect

A.K.A. djmaster
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 16:36 Edited at: 25th Feb 2009 17:10
Quote: "How about the ability for player to dispute the map picked (players vote against it) and majority rules and if the map gets disputed the map gets randomly picked.""

That should be optional for the host though, so the host can turn on/off the player vote function. Also, since this is lobby-based not matchmaking based, it should make the host simply pick another map, as a random selection would feel out of place.

[/two cents]

Quote: " I've been working on a ranking system based on the Call Of Duty 5 ranking system. It's based on win/lose/draw game and kill count and I think it covers all areas."

Fantastic!

EDIT: Just had a look at the "code" and I think you should remove the penalty for losing the game. After all, in an eight-way deathmatch game, seven players will lose the game and be penalised, making their kills feel wasted. The important thing about a ranking system like CoD5 is that the player always feels like they've made some sort of progression. if they only get two kills then have ten points deducted by not placing first, they're actually a lower level than when they started. If this was a skill-based ranking system like TrueSkill, then it would make more sense, but in a ranking system such as this, players can only move forward or they will feel cheated. To make yet another suggestion, how about giving players incremental amounts of end-game bonus points based on their finishing place. Something like this (point values are just for example)

NOTE: A game with just two players would effectively replace 1st and 2nd place with 7th and 8th place, although it will say 1st and 2nd in-game, but the point values are different.

knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 16:43
The other players can 'vote' against a map.
If they don't want to play that map then they can send a message saying they don't want to play that one.
Then the host can change it and if the host doesn't change it then when the host starts the game the user just doesn't start playing with them and stays in the lobby with the other users who don't want to play that map.
Simple

Also gamers using Version 3.0 will find they cannot host or join a game. This is due to a database upgrade for the next release Version 3.1.
I'm hoping to release V3.1 later today or tomorrow morning.

knxrb

Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 17:08
If they don't want to play that map then they can send a message saying they don't want to play that one.
Then the host can change it and if the host doesn't change it then when the host starts the game the user just doesn't start playing with them and stays in the lobby with the other users who don't want to play that map."

I don't understand, do you mean people who vote to skip will stay in the lobby after the game starts on a map they wanted to skip while the others play?

btw, updated my above post.

knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 17:13
What I mean is that at the moment if someone doesn't want to play the current map then they send a message like this:
"Player: Can we change the map to Forest?"

Then the host can choose to change it or not, obviously if all other players want the map changed then the host will probably change it.
If the host doesn't change it then when the host starts playing everyone else can just not click the 'Start Playing' button and stay in the lobby.
That way if the host doesn't change the map then he has no-one to play with.

I can try and add map voting in though if you want me to

knxrb

Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 17:23
Actually, I'm not that bothered about voting because players can simply discuss what map to play. I just thought you were already doing a voting system.

I should probably ask, what do ya make of my little graph thing. I think it would be much better doing it that way., because it makes the people in second really fight for first place because of the larger increment in bonus points and it stops people from having two player games and whoring easy kills for maximum bonus points at the end.

knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 17:30
Looking at your graph I think your idea is good, and like you said it stops people doing small 2 player games and getting loads of points.
Your way would also mean the lobby's will get fuller which is good because then it's unlikely that games will be flooded with loads of lobby's with 1 or 2 people it.

I'm currently waiting for Ply to reply and tell me if he can add a small write file code to the mod and if he can then I'll start on the ranking system

knxrb

Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 18:07
Cool. ANOTHER thought has occured. Since players are bound to rack up plenty of kills, I think kill points should be much smaller compared to bonus points and levelling up values. For example, a player might score five points for every kill and 250 for finishing 1st or something smaller like 100 for last place. (Those numbers are just examples.) Again, this puts more focus on placing well in games to level up rather than kill whoring, with frags giving the player a few points added to their score, but not being the focus.

Oh I was meaning to mention as well. You should include a ready/unready status indicator next to each player in the lobby that they can check at will to indicate they are ready to start the game and can reverse it at will. This should make map selection more user-friendly, because if someone indicates they are ready to play, they must be happy with the map chosen.

AND ANOTHER THING! you should be able to view people's profiles and stats by clicking on their name in the lobby. Sort of like xbox live's gamercard feature, but more basic. So you update your own profile with things like name, location, bio, tagline, etc. and then have your stats automatically displayed like kills, daeths, wins, losses, rank, etc.

OK, I'm done demanding stuff for today!

knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 22:36
Ready/Unready icons is a good idea, I'll not be adding it to this release though as it means rewriting the lobby system again and I've just finished doing that

Profiles is another good idea but it will need the same re-write as the ready/unready icons.

They are both on my list of things to do though

The kill count scores is a good idea as well. Although what if someone can never get to 1st place because they aren't good enough? It would be really fustrating!

knxrb

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "View Ranking System"

Just a question but why don't you use { instead of then
and }instead on end?

Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 22:53 Edited at: 25th Feb 2009 22:54
The kill count scores is a good idea as well. Although what if someone can never get to 1st place because they aren't good enough? It would be really fustrating!"

Well, could do what CoD5 does and make it so all players get a respectable bonus, so those who finish 3rd, 2nd and 1st would get much more points and the losing end would still get a fair amount for playing the game. OR, go for a different approach. Have it so each player gets awarded points at the end for their overall performance. To do this, it multiplies the amount of kills they got throughout the game by the opposite of their position. So if eight people play a game and the person in first place got ten kills, then it would times ten by eight (eight being the 'opposite' of one in an eight-player game.) to give a total of eighty points. No bonus points, no individual frag points, just a final calculation of kills and position. Another example would be a game with three people. They would be scored like this:

1st- 25 kills, x3 = 75 points total
2nd- 22 kills, x2 = 44 points total
3rd- 13 kills, x1 = 13 points total

If there were eight players and the top player still came first with 25 frags, it would times that by eight to give him a total of 200 points total.

I'll leave you to make the judgement on this one, but I think it's something to consider.

knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 10:31
Quote: "Just a question but why don't you use { instead of then
and }instead on end?"

Because it's not real code, it's just simple fake code I made to show how it would work.

@Pus In Boots: How do you get such good ideas!?

knxrb

knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 11:57 Edited at: 26th Feb 2009 16:12
I'm also looking for 3 beta testers to test the new release.
You'll get full access to all of the features whilst beta testing, when the beta test is done if you have not already bought it then you will lose the features.

I've reserved one place for Pus In Boots because he's helping me with the ranking system

Current Beta Testers:
1. Pus In Boots
2. djmaster

@Pus In Boots: If you don't want to beta test then just say

Version 3 will not work with the new features and developers must download Version 3.1.

= In Development
= Finished
= Not sure if it is to be added or not

(100%) Pinging for connection speed checking, will show speed as red/orange/green customizable picture next to game name.
(100%) XBOX controller option.
(0%) Friends list to see if your friends are online or not, and possibly what game they are playing at the time.
(100%) Multiplayer levels shown in list instead of 'Next' and 'Previous' buttons (multi-level feature).
(50%) Allow host to change Time Limit & Frag Count.

knxrb

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 15:09
im probably in for testing?

A.K.A. djmaster
therhino
Years of Service
User Offline
Will the Xbox 360 controller option be in the free version or just the payware version?
knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 16:13
Ok, I've got you down as the 2nd beta tester

knxrb

Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 16:16
I would be happy to beta test!

knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 16:19
Great Just need one more now

Also do any of you have XBOX controllers to test the XBOX bit?
If you don't it doesn't matter

Current Beta Testers:
1. Pus In Boots
2. djmaster

knxrb

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 16:22
i dont have xbox controler,never probably will.so when will be the beta test available?

A.K.A. djmaster
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 16:24
I have an xbox 360 controller, but it's for the console, so would that work or does it require a PC version or something?

knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 16:37 Edited at: 26th Feb 2009 16:56
I'm not sure if you need a special adapter or not, I'll look into it for you.
What's the connector at the end of the XBOX controller? Is it USB?

I'm just going to finish the time limit/frag count bit and then I'll send it to you for beta.

knxrb

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 18:10
This looks promissing. Great work!

And I guess you would be able to use the 360 controller from the console as long as it is wired, otherwise you will have to buy a special reciever for the wireless.

knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 18:17
The XBOX controller requires a XBOX to USB adapter and I presume that a XBOX 360 controller would work the same.

knxrb

knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 19:11 Edited at: 26th Feb 2009 19:15
Hey guys, is the XBOX controller support in versions 1.07-1.09 of FPS Creator?
If it isn't then the XBOX controller will not be able to be used with the FPSC IP mod!

Current Beta Testers:
1. Pus In Boots
2. djmaster
3. gun_guy

I do not need anymore beta testers now.

Version 3 will not work with the new features and developers must download Version 3.1.

= In Development
= Finished
= Removed from this version

(100%) XBOX controller option.
Friends list to see if your friends are online or not, and possibly what game they are playing at the time.
(99%) Allow host to change Time Limit & Frag Count.

knxrb

Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 19:55
I do not have an adaptor or wired controller

knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 19:58
No problem, it's only neccessary for testing the XBOX bit, you can still test the rest when I send it to you.

It should be ready for testing in about 10-20 minutes

therhino
Years of Service
User Offline
If you want me to test JUST the Xbox controller part I will.
knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 20:17
Ok, thanks therhino
Can you send me an email so I can get your email address?

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "ey guys, is the XBOX controller support in versions 1.07-1.09 of FPS Creator?"

No implemented in v1.14

But i was not aware that you needed v1.07-v.109 to run fpsc ip

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 21:53
Just popping in to make a note here:

If you're using the mod to bypass that menu screen when the match starts, be aware that this also means you are using the V1.07 engine and thus do NOT have XBox controller functionality.

The one and only,

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 22:22 Edited at: 26th Feb 2009 22:22
Quote: "f you're using the mod to bypass that menu screen when the match starts, be aware that this also means you are using the V1.07 engine "

Well i wish someone told me that before. Why wouldn't it work with the v1.14? And without that mod thing the program doesn't work.

Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 22:25
I won't be able to get round to beta testing until tommorrow.

knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2009 11:04
Until TGC release the FPSC source for v1.14 which I think they said they may do before going to migration you have to choose between XBOX controller or the mod.
Once the source is released I'm going to pay Ply to make the mod using the v1.14 source therefore letting users use the XBOX controllers and the mod at the same time.

Quote: "But i was not aware that you needed v1.07-v.109 to run fpsc ip"

Only if you want to use the mod.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Only if you want to use the mod."

Well with out it the program doesn't seem to work right

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 02:08:16
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 02:08:16