Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Community Competition / Community Competition #1 Discussion

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2009 02:09 Edited at: 30th May 2009 02:11
I'm pleased to announce that the 3rd place winner for this competition is Retroids. Dragon Knight wins thrid prize 1,000 Store points and a $30 TGC voucher

Retroids

Retroids is a classic retro remake in the style of asteroid's. This colourful, fast paced game makes for quick, exciting game play. Exactly what you want from a mini game squeezed into your precious lunch break. With a number of power up's, colourful sparks and graphics, the game is both attractive, and well made.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2009 07:50
congrats!

Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2009 09:16
yay! Didn't think I'd get into the top 3 , thanks judges!

hehe thanks, flashing snall ^-^

I've already said who i thought the top two are going to be , good luck to the rest of you guys , and remember next competition I'm aiming for first!

()()
(^-^)-{Battle Roar}
o( )o
(,,)(,,)

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2009 18:03
Key word there is "aiming", FRIEND
jay kay. Im loving the friendly attitude about this whole thing. If any ever asked me what I thought about the first TGC CC, I would say it was a huge success. TGC got a bunch of games to help them showcase their product, and they get their community all excited. IT doesnt really cost them a lot, becuase the prizes are just enough to be worth the effort, but arnt off the top. Its also amazing for me, becuase it finally got me motivated to DO something. Looking forward to number 2.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2009 19:18
I'm pleased to announce that the 2nd place winner for this competition is World Championship Darts. DVADER wins Second prize 2,000 Store points and a $50 TGC voucher

World Championship Darts

World Championship Darts is a classic dart board simulation. The object is to start with 301 points, and work your score down to zero. To finish each set you must hit either a double or the bulls eye. With great, simple, clean graphics, and a good attention to detail. The game throws a few curves at the player making game play challenging and worth while. Throwing the dart at the wire will see it bounce off, with a drifting hand, the player has to constantly compensate when throwing. The A.I. feels like your playing another imperfect player, without being so dumbed down it’s not a challenge. This is a well designed dartboard simulation, that as earned it’s right to the next stage.

The 1st place winner will be announced with the next newsletter. Feel free to speculate in the mean time!
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2009 19:30
Great job guys! ...I can only guess who got first place

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Great news! Now I can spend out on some stuff! My guess for first is Mechaniser, although as I haven't played Labrinth, that could be a dark horse
Oh how do I claim my voucher btw?

http://s6.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=103081
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2009 23:11
I've issued your vouchers now.
DarkSINNER
Years of Service
User Offline
evo war is bril that gotta win it looks bril
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2009 00:44 Edited at: 31st May 2009 00:45
I didn't mention evo war as although it is very good, well executed and very slick, I don't really think it can be classed as a minigame. I think Darkcoder missed the point and went a little overboard with it. But we shall see.
I shall check for the voucher, thanks

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2009 01:57
There was never any question of Evo.war being classed as a mini-game or not I'm afraid. If it had not been it wouldn't have made it to the final 5.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
No offence intended, just my personal opinion. I actually think the game is very well coded and is of course graphically fantastic, and in with a shot. I am just impressed with mechaniser for it's simple and well executed game style. I wish all entrants in the compo good luck. All of the last 5 (and the last 10 tbh) are top entries.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2009 02:41
My chances just got drastically smaller

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2009 04:02
HAhahahahaha, I just laughed really hard when I read that post Diggsey.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2009 16:12
Just waiting for first now....

Congratulations to Dragon Knight and DVader!!! You deserve it and dont spend the points all at once

mamaji4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2009 23:46 Edited at: 1st Jun 2009 00:03
I know who the winner is. It's either Labyrinth or Mechaniser or Evo.war
Har,har.

But I could be wrong.

If at first you don't succeed, relax. You're like the rest of us.
Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 13:41
WOW!!!! Never expected that First Place - Labyrinth

NICE ONE non the less! i never actually got around to testing this game? i must have been blind

Going to have to download it now and give it a try

Nice job to everyone who entered

jeffhuys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 13:42 Edited at: 1st Jun 2009 14:48
Hehe, who said dark horse?

You're the 'th to view this signature!
mamaji4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 15:21 Edited at: 1st Jun 2009 15:24
@jeffhuys

Congratulations! Very refreshing gameplay, indeed.

Quote: "I know who the winner is. It's either Labyrinth or Mechaniser or Evo.war
Har,har.

But I could be wrong.
"

I guess I was right about the winner.

Battoad
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 19:35
This is probably for Daniel, I don't think it has been answered yet, [quote] Re points, Is there any way they could be used as part payment towards any of the DBpro Extension Packs such as A.I or dark physics etc as an alternative to getting bits and bobs objects etc. from the Games Creator Store.

Juney
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 02:20
Woot! Labyrinth seems very similar to Atari's Balance. Both fun though, so thats totally NOT a problem. Jeff's got my praise.

jeffhuys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 02:26
Atari's Balance?
Thanks, by the way!

You're the 'th to view this signature!
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 02:51 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2009 02:52
This is Ballance. I forgot an L, sorry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WihK_txudHI&feature=related

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
@jeffhuys - "Hehe, who said dark horse? ". Me lol.
I had a feeling in my water so to speak.. But I never played it due to my graphics snobbery , and it sounded complicated
Congrats to the winner and everyone who entered!

mamaji4
Years of Service
User Offline
Just my humble opinion. But I feel that Mechaniser and Evo.war did not really get the credit they deserved.

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 11:59 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2009 12:01
I have to say "uh" as well

[Edit: Oh, and congratulations to the winners and the rest of competitors, they all made a great job here ]
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 21:39
alright. so... Whens number 2?

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 22:28
Quote: "But I feel that Mechaniser and Evo.war did not really get the credit they deserved."

You are not the only one that feels this way.

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2009 03:02 Edited at: 4th Jun 2009 03:03
I hope I finish my current project before competition 2 occurs. If I start a new game before I've finished it, Swordfight would go unfinished. I think, with all of the experience I've gained making Swordfight, I'd actually be able to finish a game in time!

Swordfight! My cheesy little first game!
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=147808&b=36
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2009 02:26
This maybe slightly off topic but, is the Upgrade+ on the TGC store for the FPSC Free program? If so, I hope I can win some more points next compo so I can buy it. In all these years I've never tried the program, I have the Free version installed, but never really got into it. I've wanted to convert some of my models to a format to be used with it.

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2009 03:57
I tried the free verison of FPSC. It's pretty cool how easy it is to use, but it's not as powerful as DBPro, and I've no interest in making a game that's solely an FPS.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2009 05:33
Yeah, I have the free version also. I don't really make any games with it, though, I just FPSC-ready my models so I can sell them on the Store.

Diggsey: I have a spine and memory, but one memorable guy says he hates me. What am I?
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2009 16:16
OK, I now have my internet back after moving house(no I didn't die after reading the results). To say the least, I'm surprised... Not that I didn't win, because I expected as much; with all the people saying I was going to win it's inevitable and even cliché that the judges would drop the bombshell that the 'favourite' to win wouldn't. But to not even place? Next time I should sidestep making a WIP thread and just enter under a different name.

Granted, making such a post will no doubt make me seem like a conceited and arrogant a-hole but what exactly were the judging criteria? As there was clearly some clause whereby my entry is less favoured than others. In my opinion from a graphical, auditory, playability, gameplay and technical standpoint this entry is by far(what am I going to say next? dododo) my best to date, and by quite a margin. Unless my view is incredibly skewed, the general quality of the other entries in terms of how new/original/good whatever they are hasn't really changed much. One notable exception is Mike Inel's entry to the Nvidia compo a while back, I was worried he was going to win as I think his entry exceeded mine in several areas including having an awesome Easter Egg . So really, how did I not place?

On a final note, why is this called the Community Compo when the community other than making up some of the entrants(durr) have nothing to do with it?

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2009 18:59
Maybe I should go for a pong game next time

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2009 21:13
> Dark Coder

It's pointless, and quite rude, for you to say that the reason why you didn't do better is because the judges ruled unfairly. Personally, I think your game was the better than all the other ones. But it wasn't really a "mini game", it was just a normal sized game. It didn't really fit the theme (which, granted, was a pretty crappy one), so that's probably why you didn't get the #1 spot for this particular competition.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2009 22:03 Edited at: 5th Jun 2009 22:08
To be honest I'm shocked that neither evo.war nor Mechaniser won a spot in the top three. Mechaniser had over a dozen very fun and interesting levels with fairly difficult puzzles that had me entertained for over an hour. Evo.war was a very entertaining shooter with unique gameplay mechanics, as well as incredible visuals that enhanced what was an already awesome game.

No offense to the top three, but World Championship Darts was frustrating and got boring pretty quickly, Retroids was basically a straight remake of Asteroids, and Labyrinth was your typical ball-rolling game with 5 levels and some annoying music that I couldn't turn off. Maybe I missed something but doesn't originality, entertainment value and overall quality have anything to do with how good a game is?

Once again I'm sorry to the top three, they were decent games; I just feel like the judging for this compo was very screwed up, veering away from choosing the best games to choosing the games nobody expected to win.

i like orange
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2009 23:37
Dark Coder:
I'm just throwing out an idea, but I think I remember seeing one judge was unable to play your game, so isn't that 1/3rd of your score out the window? I wonder how they treated that? I'll admit your game was hard to pick up, but as I kept playing it got easier and more fun. I wonder because of time constraints, the judges were unable to get into it more and actually play all the way through it?

I think the main things the judges were looking for was, easy to pick up right away, and a short experience with a high replay factor. I don't think graphics or media was a deciding factor in this comp.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 00:18
Perhaps the community should be left to judge the games next time (these are community competitions after all), especially considering the general tastes of the community differed so much from the judges'.

All in favour raise your hand.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 00:21 Edited at: 6th Jun 2009 00:23
Quote: "I'm just throwing out an idea, but I think I remember seeing one judge was unable to play your game, so isn't that 1/3rd of your score out the window?"

I think that was Mechaniser that had that problem. Which would explain why it missed the top three when it was clearly an excellent mini-game, highly addictive, decent graphics, and a variety of levels.

I do not believe that Evo.War didn't win because of unfair judging, and the judges have already stated that its size was not a problem. I posted my theory in Evo.War's thread:
Quote: "For me, the graphics were awesome and the DNA system was original and very fun, but the actual gameplay (the shooting part) was a bit...boring. Not exactly, but that's the closest word I could think of. It seemed a lot like "Oh no, more dudes! Shoot like crazy! Okay, they're gone now. Oh no, more dudes!". This might be why you didn't get a top place."

Diggsey: I have a spine and memory, but one memorable guy says he hates me. What am I?
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 00:23
Quote: "Perhaps the community should be left to judge the games next time (these are community competitions after all), especially considering the general tastes of the community differed so much from the judges'."

Initially that sounds like a good idea, but then you have a bunch of people voting for a game when they've only played one or two others. Very few voters are going to take the time to play every single game and create an educated opinion on it. That's one big advantage of having a couple judges instead.

i like orange
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 01:24
Quote: "I think that was Mechaniser that had that problem. Which would explain why it missed the top three when it was clearly an excellent mini-game, highly addictive, decent graphics, and a variety of levels."

It's a shame they didn't mention it earlier if that is the case, because as soon as I found out I told them how to solve the problem instantly, and they didn't even have to download anything new

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 03:02 Edited at: 6th Jun 2009 03:04
Quote: "Unless my view is incredibly skewed"

*giggles* obviously it must be. We all know that the power is TGC. Do not question TGC. Be one with the light.

But, I am suprised neither of those games placed in the final 3. I was actually suprised by every win. Not that I really care, because Im pretty sure the point of these competitions was to just get people back in swing, and to bring a little much needed life back into the games being made with TGC software.

*EDIT* When is number 2? I need to plan my next projects... Got a lot on my plate, little tetris remix Im working on now, finish up slime '09, figure out what Im doing for the DreamBuildPlay, and try to get into number 2. It would really help if we could get a rough idea of when that'll be?

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 08:36 Edited at: 6th Jun 2009 08:38
Quote: "It's pointless, and quite rude, for you to say that the reason why you didn't do better is because the judges ruled unfairly."

I know, but how else can I voice my opinion about this without sounding like a "conceited and arrogant a-hole"? Besides I wasn't strictly referring to my game, and at least I didn't do a Brick Break.

Quote: "But it wasn't really a "mini game", it was just a normal sized game."

This is a possibility but it's already been cleared up by Daniel that this was accepted as a mini-game so this isn't the issue, unless he's lying?

Quote: "I'm just throwing out an idea, but I think I remember seeing one judge was unable to play your game, so isn't that 1/3rd of your score out the window?"

Not unless the judges changed; as you can see HERE all 3 posted comments about the game so I can only assume all 3 managed to play it just fine. Maybe you're referring to someone on my thread saying they were unable to play this and any of my previous games? But to my knowledge they weren't a judge. However, even if my or another person's entry is unable to run on any one judges' computer I think this should have no bearing on the final results unless the entry randomly fails to work 50% of the time on all PCs(thus being a stability issue and not a client's hardware/OS/whatever issue).

Quote: "I think the main things the judges were looking for was, easy to pick up right away, and a short experience with a high replay factor. I don't think graphics or media was a deciding factor in this comp."

And I never expect them to be, it's not like the quality of a game is inversely proportional to the quality of graphics(which I did spend time on of course, but by no means most of my time). I thought that maybe they simply wanted a game that as you say, can be picked up and played at any time, but doesn't the winning entry go against this? Not that it's bad or anything, as it's similar to mine in that if you play it once you've played it all pretty much(though I did include 2 endurance modes which should be rather hard to beat).

Also, while I wasn't there at the time, apparently Daniel went to the Devhat IRC and essentially 'cleared up' the results a few days ago and said that Labyrinth won because it was the only game all 3 judges liked? If this is the case then that's a stupid criteria, key, linchpin etc for winning isn't it? Shouldn't the judges do their best to objectively evaluate each entry? I for instance hate MMORPGs with a passion but if I had to judge one I wouldn't give it a crap score or otherwise bar it from winning simply because I didn't like it, I'd still be more than capable of objectively judging it for all its merits, after all, not everyone can like every game.

All I'm really saying is that the judging process needs to be as solid and ironed out as possible, there should be no room for any personal bias or whatever to hugely shift the balance in favour of anyone due to some arbitrary reason. To this end if there is no community voting as there are some issues with that there should be a clear set of judging guidelines with judging criteria and 'points' in various fields as per previous compos(and so people will stop bringing up graphics). In addition to publicizing the point breakdowns per-judge there should also be a fairly generous field for personal comments so we can understand why some things scored highly or low for various fields. This would allow us to see where the judges are coming from and not be left in wonder that maybe some of them were traumatized as a child by a red bowling ball hitting them on the head making them adverse to any such physics games.

But maybe I'm completely missing the mark and the judging wasn't: points = ( consensusOnLikingIt ? 1.0f : ( wasOriginal ? ( hasBowlingBall ? -9999.9f : -999.9f ) : 0.5f ) ) * humidity;

MIDN90
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 09:23
You're wrong there DC, without that bowling ball, you'll never win.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 12:27 Edited at: 6th Jun 2009 12:28
Quote: "Initially that sounds like a good idea, but then you have a bunch of people voting for a game when they've only played one or two others."

Ok then, how about letting the community vote in the judges? That way we don't have to deal with crappy, biased, unknown judges (well, KeithC was the exception this time as he's a known and respected member here).

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 12:52 Edited at: 6th Jun 2009 12:55
I think that having the community judge the competition would be better

Also it would be good to have some predefined criteria to score in

(eg. graphics, gameplay, originality, etc.)

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 16:08
Quote: "Also it would be good to have some predefined criteria to score in

(eg. graphics, gameplay, originality, etc.)"

Aye.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 16:52
I think that the community as hole should add up to one judge. So, there are 2 real judges, Daniel and some one else. But then there is the swing third judge who is the community?
Quote: "
But maybe I'm completely missing the mark and the judging wasn't: points = ( consensusOnLikingIt ? 1.0f : ( wasOriginal ? ( hasBowlingBall ? -9999.9f : -999.9f ) : 0.5f ) ) * humidity;"

Rofl!

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, from my perspective the judging was not a major issue However joking aside I am a little shocked to see this sillyness going on. I am sure the judging was fair and they had a system of some kind. However they judge it personal opinion will come into it, how else can they form one?
For instance I am not a big fan of darts... But I chose it because there hasn't really been a good version done for awhile and I knew a better one could be made than I could see around. So I chose that as a basis for my game.
I think people need to remember it was a game making competition and not a programming showcase. I hated Tetris, but it didn't stop it being pretty popular.

The Fps Creator rocks!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 23:05
Can I make a FPSCX9 game?

I want a new computer!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 17:20:44
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 17:20:44