Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Community Competition / Community Competition #1 Discussion

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 02:54
I hope to finish modelling the levels for my game tonight, after that I'll start programming on Monday. If everything goes according to my plan, I'll have it running by either that Friday or the Monday after. Keep in mind that things rarely go according to my plans.

Quote: "I find that guilt tripping myself and knowing I can do better usually works for me =)"

That never works for me. Personally I just think of how great my game is in my head and hopefully once it's done to keep myself inspired.
zaxer thawl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2009 22:51
Quote: "i got a problem i have:"

did you set the text to transparent, fightex?

Coreldraw Graphics suite X3 >>>>> Yes
Darkbasic pro >>>>> Yes
zaxer thawl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2009 22:53
Quote: "Just so I'm sure, are we allowed to make re-makes of games? Or is it an all original competition?"

if we werent allowed to do remakes, they wouldnt suggest cardgames, would they? i dont know, never mind, i guess cardgames wouldnt be considered remakes. forget i said anything.

Coreldraw Graphics suite X3 >>>>> Yes
Darkbasic pro >>>>> Yes
Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 03:57
Damn! My computer crashed and I lost over half of the levels I was working on! Now I'll have to push my schedule back a week. This sucks, I was hoping to have all of the media done by the end of last week so that I could focus on the gameplay for the rest of the month. Oh well.
FIGHTEX
Years of Service
User Offline
Nope i didnt do anything to the text.

Game.Love
FIGHTEX
Years of Service
User Offline
dosent matthere now, i made it so you can select 3 musics:S
it would be great if the text would work but...

Game.Love
Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2009 04:06
I was hoping that I could show some screen shots of the levels I've been working on, but I'll have to do that tomorrow. I've almost remade all of the levels I lost, and after that I'm going to start animating the character models. I should be programming by the 23rd. It's going to be a close one, but I should be able to finish it by the deadline.
Xlaydos
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, a little help with copyright information:

Would this be okay for me to use within the compo?

Quote: "BASS is free for non-commercial use. If you are a non-commercial entity (eg. an individual) and you are not charging for your product, and the product has no other commercial purpose, then you can use BASS in it for free. Otherwise, you will require one of the following licences."

from http://www.un4seen.com/

Thanks
MIDN90
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 21:45
In the readme, it will have my full name... Will TGC remove that if they release my game for the TGC public?

Because I would prefer the whole world didn't know my first and last name.
Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2009 03:48
I've been unable to get much done on my game due to the intervention of real life, so the version of my game that I'll enter into the competition will only have the first four levels. I'm going to keep working on the game even after the competition, and the final version will have ten levels, but I won't have time to do all that programing in time for the competition unfortunately. I should still be able to put in all of the gameplay features for the competition.

I know I said I'd have screenshots of the levels, but I haven't had the time to take them. The buggy UV editor I've been using hasn't helped either, so can somebody please point me to a good relatively bugless one?
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2009 21:33
I'm curious as to how many people have submitted an entry yet?

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2009 22:11
Nahda, not me, not yet, I havent got enough to what Id call a game yet....

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2009 22:52
I've submitted one so far, and I'll be submitting the second one tomorrow Time to start on the third.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2009 04:12
Yikes. I have yet to submit one, still working on it. My project has been sitting collecting dust, while I played through Half Life again... However, I got a huge boost in motivation after playing Osmos, and I just made TUNS of progress on Massive.

Steam is such a temptation.

I wish I had access to board 17.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2009 14:18
Lol...sometimes you just have to force yourself

Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Mar 2009 19:36
I'm working hard on mine- I plan to only send it in once!

DBC User
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a question to the competition requirement that source code must be submitted with the entries.

If I am writing the game using DarkGDK and Visual Studio C++, do I satisfy the source code requirement if I pack the CPP and H files only, or do you wish to have some other files that Visual Studio generates for the project? Some of them are rather large - for example the symbol table is 18 MB while the source itself is only 100 KB. Others might contain personal information, for example the user file has user name, computer name, path, which probably will not work on another computer anyway. On the other hand, I could imagine that the vcproj or the sln/suo files might be needed, I never tried to transfer a VS project to another machine.

Could you please specify exactly which project files should be submitted? Thank you in advance for the answer.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2009 22:07
Remove the temporary folders (Debug & Release), remove the .ncb file, then pack everything else up.#

You could, if you're willing to spend the time, also remove the .suo and the .aps files and even the named vcproj file (eg ProjectName.vcproj.Ian-PC.Ian.user) but they are only a few kb each.

Everything else is necessary to compile the project.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2009 01:32
This question seems to have been asked on the first page, but wasn't answered.

What are the rules regarding submitting projects from before the competition?

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2009 16:24
It would certainly make it a more interesting competition, but possible slightly unfair towards those who have been around coding for longer as they'll have made more projects....

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
I have two questions about model licences which are not only important for this competition, but for any future project as well that I may still make.

I have purchased and downloaded two character models from the TGC Store, to be used in my game. However, the TGC Store license agreement contains this:

You are granted a license to integrate the assets in "Games" but...

"The term Game expressly excludes ... (b) ... other assets or works from which a particular graphic or sound or other asset or work may be extracted to be used independently of the software in which it was first incorporated."

The problem is: If I package with the game a character model and character texture in X + dds format, in which it is provided from the store, then it is impossible to prevent others from using it independently from my game, since an X model can be loaded into any other program which uses DirectX. So I cannot possibly satisfy this license agreement unless I find some clever way of "encrypting" the models I used? (Not even mentioning that I payed for the download and others could use the models for free, but for the time being I am more worried about the license.)

The other question: The license terms say that any game which is reproduced in more than a 100 copies qualifies as a commercial game. Does that mean that games uploaded onto this forum (or elsewhere on the internet), which will probably be downloaded in more than 100 copies, are automatically commercial, even if they are free?

I do not even dare to upload a demo of my first game to the forum until these questions are answered. Thanks in advance for the clarification.
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2009 11:11 Edited at: 29th Mar 2009 12:54
EDIT: disregard this. See message above.
Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
I was under the impression (and please correct me if I'm wrong), that TGC simply resold the models in the store on behalf of those who created them. If so, then it should be down to creator of the model to set the license agreements, and not for TGC to determine what can and cannot be done with them.

It might be worth dropping a line to person who created the model and see what they say.
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually there are two license agreements. One you must agree to when you register for the TGC store and I saved screenshots of that agreement for reference. This grants you the right to use the downloaded things for non-commercial purposes, but it contains the paragraph quoted above.

Then, there is another license which comes with the model you download, that is the commercial license. This you must accept in e-mail towards the author of the model, if you want to use it in "commercial games". But that agreement says exactly the same: you are not allowed to distribute the models, sounds, whatever, in re-usable form.

My problem is that this condition makes the models practically unusable, since if my program can load them, then other programs can as well, so they are re-usable. I do not see any technical way to prevent re-use, therefore I would like some advice, or clarification, if I misunderstood something in the license text.
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2009 16:24
When you build the .exe, you can set it so that it builds in the media, so you don't have to ship the media with the game, thus you're not infringing the licence (I think).

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Building the EXE with the media is an option in DBPro but not in Visual Studio C++.

I think the final conclusion will be that I need some "encryption" method for the future, and for this competition - either find a freely usable model or create my own, if I can do that until the deadline.
Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, it's a particular issue for this compo as you need to release the source code for your game as well. If you don't also make the various sound and art assets available, it's going to be rather tricky to recompile the source!
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2009 23:28
I think that would be kind of ridiculous of TGC to expect people to jump through hoops encrypting and otherwise protecting media they bought in the TGC store. Where do I find the license agreement? I didn't see a link in the store.

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 01:19
in the compo rules - about 12 down it says

Quote: " Any TGC plug-in, model pack, sound pack, store item, may be used.
"

I dont see a problem using it.

GL - Your game looks great.

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
BMacZero: The general agreement (terms of using the store) appeared when I registered for the store and I had to click "I agree". I don't know where to find it afterwards.

Jammy: Thank you for the compliment!
FIGHTEX
Years of Service
User Offline
almost done, just need to add a end level screen and then to be able to reset.

Game.Love
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2009 08:05
Why is it 1 in the morning? I swear, it was only 10 o'clock when I started listening to possibly game music... Whatever, I got a lot done tonight, with the use of my friends, the sticky notes. Sitting infront of me are bajillions of little yellow notes screaming at me to add in certain features, or to fix bugs. There is also a small pile of yellow sticky notes next to me with crossed out comments, all the things I did tonight. Its super crunch time, and unfortunetly, I seem to be doing a lot this week. Heh, the day this is due, Good Friday, I have to go to an insane asylum and pretend to be gay for a church service. Wonderful.
G'night ye olde TGC forums

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Hooray, I have received a reply to my e-mail to TGC, saying that it is perfectly OK to use a model obtained from the Store in my game! This means the game will be finished in time - hopefully this week-end. A demo will follow later today.
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 21:31
Only what, 5 days left...?

Good luck to all that enter =)

As for myself, I havent worked on it for a week, so Ive still got loads to do, but here comes Easter so I shall (hopefully) get it done

Good luck and well done to all =)

Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
I've only been tinkering on my entry over the past few days. The editor is now done (just few 'quirks' to tidy up), and I've put in the beginnings of a front end that takes you to the editor, lets you start to play the game, and also lets you quit.

What with work, family, studying part time for a degree and a little bit of 'me time', I'm not getting much time left for things like coding!
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 02:47
I've submitted mine

[b]Yuor signutare was aresed by a deslyxic mud...
BOX2D V2 HAS HELP FILES! AND A WIKI!
Valle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 02:51 Edited at: 6th Apr 2009 02:52
I have a question. Can I submit my game shape2 (WIP)
to the competition? I started it without knowing about the competition, but i started it after the beginning of the competition, so i dont have any time-advantage. It should fit the entry-theme.

So, can I join?

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 03:26
I would say yes.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 02:01 Edited at: 11th Apr 2009 14:49
Hi guys, 4 days left!

Time Left, click here!

I've organised a quick link, this will count down the next 4 days so you know when all entries need to be in.
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 03:23
Egads! Its very much so crunch time, and yet im finding my week to be super busy. That timer helps a lot though, I wasnt sure what time I should turn it in if I was on the east coast of the US. I think its around 5:30 PM.

FIGHTEX
Years of Service
User Offline
dammit i cant get a good finish of my game due tu this that text in gdk is so...(not good)
anyway now i am just gone puut an gameover sign and maybe two buttons:S:S:S:S::S:S:S:S::S:S:S:S

Game.Love
Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 03:49
I still have so much to do! I don't know if I'll be done in time! But I'm determined, and even if I don't get it done in time I'm still going to get it done. I've spent too much time on my game just to give up just because I didn't make the deadline!

Swordfight! My cheesy little first game!
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=147808&b=36
Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 04:37 Edited at: 9th Apr 2009 04:40
I thought I should say it here, because this was the first thread I posted to on this forum: I've given up on finishing my game, "Swordfight", in time for the competition. I haven't given up on my game, I'm still going to finish it, but since the deadline is only two days away and I've hit a brick wall in the game's development it seems kind of hopeless for me. I don't want to discourage anyone else from finishing their games if they're almost done, it's just that I'm not going to make myself stressed over a hopeless cause.

I don't like posting pointless little posts like this, so here's something to give it some worth: I've got an idea for the next competition (if there ever is one). Horror games. You might have to get rid of the rule against blood and gore (it's kind of hard to make a horror game without that stuff), but it would fit the concept I have for my next game perfectly.

EDIT Although... if someone could help with the problem I've been having, I might be able to finish my game on time for the competition. I'm sure it's a silly thing that I haven't been able to catch because of my extremely limited DBPro experience.

Swordfight! My cheesy little first game!
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=147808&b=36
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 14:22
Depends what that problem is =)

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 21:29
1 day left
And my game is long since submitted

[b]Yuor signutare was aresed by a deslyxic mud...
BOX2D V2 HAS HELP FILES! AND A WIKI!
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 21:51
1 day left ;(
and my game isnt even finished

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 22:37
flashing snall:
I'd say if it's at least playable to submit it now, and if you get a new version done, submit again.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 05:22
That's it guys. Entires are closed.

Thanks to everyone who joined in!
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 05:31
Huh? Your counter says there's almost a day left