Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Community Competition / Community Competition #1 Discussion

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2009 20:29
It looks cool, but I dont understand what the goal is.

You have the right to remain silent.
FIGHTEX
Years of Service
User Offline
thnx, and yeah you can understand what the goal is since its not made jet.
The goal is going to be to collect the notes that fall, to collect them with the mp3 player whille that you can listen to music the notes will keep on falling untill you drop one(not shure about this (that they will fall foreever)) and then you can see the scoor

Game.Love
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2009 23:00
WooHoo! Ive managed to come up with a name for my game ! =)

How does Hover Madness sound?

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2009 23:03
Sounds mad

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2009 23:05
Hopefully it will be =)!!

zaxer thawl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 00:11
my idea is to make a game that uses mouse movement. sort of like one of those wii gams where they use the wiimote and nunchuck. does anyone happen to know any way of getting mouse recognization inputed? i was thinking anout finding a way of making an array of mouse coordinants over time and comparing them.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 01:02
zaxer thawl:
I can't tell if your being serious or not...

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 01:10
@zaxer thawl
I made something like that for a coding challenge, which recognised letters.

First of all I divided up the line into a certain number of equal length parts, and then stored a direction for each part, which could be one of eight directions. That way scaling and dodgy lines don't affect it It worked reasonably well too (good enough that I won the challenge)

[b]Yuor signutare was aresed by a deslyxic mud...
BOX2D V2 HAS HELP FILES! AND A WIKI!
zaxer thawl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 01:14
Quote: ""zaxer thawl:
I can't tell if your being serious or not...""

why wouldnt i be serious? ok, it is just an idea i will attempt after im done, but it should be possible. i just need to find out how, i will research it.
zaxer thawl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 01:17
Quote: "@zaxer thawl
I made something like that for a coding challenge, which recognised letters.

First of all I divided up the line into a certain number of equal length parts, and then stored a direction for each part, which could be one of eight directions. That way scaling and dodgy lines don't affect it It worked reasonably well too (good enough that I won the challenge)"

Thank you very much! i feel like i can attempt it now, would you be able to give me a few tips?
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 01:46
Instead of trying to hard-code any specific patterns, get the user to draw each symbol a couple of times the first time it is run. Use the method of dividing it up like I said before, and then average out the patterns for the same symbols, so if you told the user to draw an 'a' twice, average out those two attempts, and then store the result in a file.

Find similarities by comparing the angles of each section of the line, so the more and the larger the differences, the more points you add to a variable. Compare the pattern against every possible symbol, and pick the one that got the lowest score.

Also, make sure the user has the option to retrain it, or train it more.

Another thing you could do is this: If the user draws shapes for the same symbol which are quite different (when compared using the points method) give that symbol a higher priority over the others, so it scales down the score a certain amount when comparing against that symbol.

Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 01:51
@zaxter thawl-
You know you could just use mousemovex() and mousemovey(), right? That is, if you're just looking for a straight line.

DBC User
zaxer thawl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 02:19
This might be pushing it, but might you be able to show me the source code? i am not the strongest coder. i dont mean give me my entry, but looking at yours might give me a start.

i was recently "Zaxer thawl", this is just my universal name.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 02:25
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=48011&b=1&p=111#m1012097

The second code snippet in that post is the latest version

zaxer thawl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 02:30
thank you!

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 02:53 Edited at: 9th Mar 2009 02:54
My apologies, I miss read your post. stupid me

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 03:01
Sorry it's taken me this long to respond, but I've been away from my computer for the whole weekend.

Quote: "Read it through, have a look at the full licence here http://makehuman.wiki.sourceforge.net/Licensing then make up your own mind."

I wasn't specific enough when I first asked my question. It says that they'll allow people to use their intellectual property, but it is still THEIR property. The competition rule says that you can't use other people's intellectual property, or am I just taking it too literally? I know I sound paranoid, but when it comes to copyright you can never be too careful.
zaxer thawl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 03:06
ok, but what did you think i was saying? just out of curiosity.

zaxer thawl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 03:38
here, i'll shoot out another question. this one will take a while, most likely longer than the contests deadline, but has anyone played "Animation vs Animator" on Addicting games? toutube had another looking one where the stickman jumped onto the desktop and caused havoc. how might i find the users current desktop and the thumbnails of each file?

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 04:15
The old Darkside dlls had a function that would let you take a screenshot of the user's desktop. The website was taken down a while ago, but I've attached the one you need. See Example 1 for what you're looking for.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
zaxer thawl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 05:40
WOW, every major question ive asked so far has been answered well, thanks, this forum is great!

zaxer thawl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 05:47
ok, here's my "Raving Racoon model without texture so far, how does it fit? im having trouble texturing it in truespsce. whenever i edit the uv mapping, the bones get caught in it and the animations ive worked on dissapear. anyone know of a good, free direct x model painter?

i realized my signature made no sense. my universal name is sam11182. this forum is the exeption.
zaxer thawl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 05:53
my bad, i forgot to post it, here

i realized my signature made no sense. my universal name is sam11182. this forum is the exeption.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 18:19
That loks quite good, depends what your game is about really.

The animator vs animation movies are great, whoever made them is a legend...

gbark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 20:16
Try LithUnwrap, it's a free program for unwrapping models and generating UV maps, then you just use any art program to paint your texture over the UV map.

You have to make sure your modeling program can import .LUV files though, otherwise I don't think you'd be able to use LithUnwrap.
FIGHTEX
Years of Service
User Offline
OMG, i had so little time to finish up my game it has so many bugs:S:S:S:S:S:S::S
i upload it it(i think)

Game.Love
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 23:41 Edited at: 9th Mar 2009 23:41
Quote: "You have to make sure your modeling program can import .LUV files though, otherwise I don't think you'd be able to use LithUnwrap. "

I think lith saves LUM files, but it can also export to OBJ,3DS and X, which should import into almost any modeller.

@FIGHTEX

You do know the games aren't due for a month, right?

zaxer thawl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2009 01:34
ok, i'll try "Lith" then. thanks again.

zaxer thawl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2009 01:37
AHHHH, more problems keep coming up, this time, truespace wont export the x model with animations. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW to DO THIS?

aarrowh
Years of Service
User Offline
Just so I'm sure, are we allowed to make re-makes of games? Or is it an all original competition?

Image thanks goes to AndrewT
FIGHTEX
Years of Service
User Offline
omg, i didnt read the forum write and i uploadit my game i that that its until the 10 of march, can u upload a updated version of my game?

Game.Love
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2009 22:06
Fightex, it's not the 10th of march, it's the 10th of april when the games need to be in. You have a whole other month..

NaGaCreMo:
FIGHTEX
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah i kind of figure that out.
nobodys posting any progress videos or pictures:S

Game.Love
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2009 23:10
Maybe thats cos we havent got any worthwhile yet

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2009 00:46
Quote: "nobodys posting any progress videos or pictures:S"

Why don't you look at the threads down below this one. Plenty of people have posted screenshots

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2009 02:43
Ok, I've got an idea for a mini game: You're in a sword fight, and your goal is to bring your opponent to his knees or kill him (or is that a bit too violent?). It'll have an over the shoulder 3rd person view of your character, and you'll be automatically turning to face your opponent.
There'll be large transparent grey shapes that you have to click on that represent areas of your enemy's body. When you click, you'll attack him in that direction, and he'll probably parry it. The trick is to be fast enough to get around his parries.
I've got a lot of ideas, but i'm going to concentrate on just that for now. What do you guys think of that game sketch?
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2009 18:12
Sounds ok, but it probably would have been better to come up with ideas a coupla weeks ago, not coming up to half way through...

FIGHTEX
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a problem((((((

i use built in collision.

i have this:
if(dbObjectCollision(1, 3)==1)
{
}
it works fine but the collision is whay biger then the object it self. thats making it kind of easy 4 the player to collect all the notes.

so i ask
does anybody else have such a problem?
and should i rathere use sparkys collision insted?

Game.Love
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2009 20:43
I would use sparkys but im not entirely sure whether it would work with DarkGDk ....

Btw, Im nearly done on my vehicle physics and will hopefully be starting a WIP this week

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2009 21:03
Nice, Monk. I havnt got around to working on my game too much in the past few days. Im hoping to work some stuff out today though... We'll see. The choice comes down to working on this, OR, playing video games with the gang.

You have the right to remain silent.
Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 01:59
> Monk

It's actually an idea I've had lying around in my head for over a year now. I just figured that this competition would be a good time to make it. I've already started it, and once I've gotten a runable version of it, I'll start a WIP thread. I actually had to cut back on a lot of ideas to keep it a "mini" game. Eventually, I'll add in more and more of my ideas to make the game more and more complex. The thing that's going to take the longest is media creation, which is probably the thing I'm best at.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 08:01
Quote: "Nice, Monk. I havnt got around to working on my game too much in the past few days. Im hoping to work some stuff out today though... We'll see. The choice comes down to working on this, OR, playing video games with the gang."

If you choose to play video games, I hope they offer you great prizes!

Keep your motivation up, I know it's hard, but I've got faith in you all. Hopefully this competition will set the benchmark, that future community competitions have to live up too!
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 18:29
Well one hopes so ! =)

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 20:41
Hmm, yesterday was a sad twist of fate, I decided to play RSV2 for a tiny little bit, and then get to the project. However, turned out I got the end of RSV2, and so I HAD TO BEAT IT! But that took awhile

However, today, I have no new games to play, just a dentist thingy at 4. Im hoping to get some work done, because like you said, the outcome of the first community compo will set a benchmark...

I wish I had access to board 17.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 15:04 Edited at: 13th Mar 2009 15:08
Sometimes even when you have incredible ideas, it's hard to get started or to keep with a project. I know this first hand...Sometimes it's because you just bought that new game, or other reasons.

To get around this, what I've been doing is setting myself goals to achieve by certain dates. Working up to the time that my project is complete. Right now above my computer I have a visual time line of my project's work flow, with a filled in meter underneath it to show my progress. This seems to help boost my drive to work, and also rewards me with a sense of how much I've actually accomplished.

This is my way of motivating myself. I think if everyone found their own way, or used mine, it would make working a lot easier. SO good luck finding your drive.

I've always had this idea for a program that helped you keep track of your work and your project work-flow and time line. With reminders, a calender, notes, project file organization and even clocking time worked on the project. I think once I'm done with my entry's I'll give this a go, could be a helpful resource for anyone who needs an aid to their production.

FIGHTEX
Years of Service
User Offline
i got a problem i have:
dbSprite(5, (dbScreenWidth()/2-261), (dbScreenHeight()/2-261), 3);
dbShowSprite(5);
dbSetSpritePriority(5,1);
dbSetCursor(160,300);
strcpy(Music,dbInput());
dbSync();
dbDrawSpritesFirst();

this dosent do anything the text is stil drawn before sprites, if i have this:

dbDrawSpritesFirst();
dbSprite(5, (dbScreenWidth()/2-261), (dbScreenHeight()/2-261), 3);
dbShowSprite(5);
dbSetSpritePriority(5,1);
dbSetCursor(160,300);
strcpy(Music,dbInput());
dbSync();

the text is visible but theres no sprites

beside this sprite here there is a nothere spirte thats sized to full screen but i can see that one eathere.

help plis.

Game.Love
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 18:20
Just a suggestion, but the GDk forum has plenty of peeps with GDK experience, so that might be a better place than here...

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 21:00
Josh Mooney: yea, goals are good. I kept a dev log for a project I did awhile ago, and that helped a bit. I should do one for this too.

... OR! I could just sticky a note on my monitor to encourage me to work....... By encourage I mean threaten. Time to go find sticky notes, then to work out some matrixy math stuff. guaranteed fun

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 23:31
I find that guilt tripping myself and knowing I can do better usually works for me =)

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 02:21 Edited at: 14th Mar 2009 04:38
My monitor is now decked out with 6 sticky notes, a letter on each, arranged to read MASSIVE. And another sticky note to the side with the days stuff
I was able to get a bit of work in, but then some family came over, and I got a haircut . so, Im back now.... Back on track.

EDIT: oh crap, It seems as though Im being forced to go be social with my family, and watch a movie. Rg! Maybe Ill take a notpad with me, sneak in some thinking.
EDIT2: wonderful. My boss just pretty much screwed me over this weekend. Ill be working for fat people instead of on my project for the next few days.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 13:17:36
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 13:17:36