Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Community Competition / Community Competition #1 Discussion

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2009 15:16
Where is out savior Daniel?!

Check out my current WIP. SLIME 09
forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=149899&b=8
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2009 16:15 Edited at: 9th May 2009 16:30
I'm pleased to announce the final set of two games making it into the next stage of the competition.

Evo.war - by Darkcoder
Lightspeed- by Joosh_Mooney

Congratulations guys.

A little about these two entries.

Evo.war

Evo.war is another fine entry from the well known developer, Darkcoder. As is usual, his attention to visual detail and innovative game play sets it aside from other entries. The principle behind the game, is to take a standard side scrolling shooter in the R-Type style, and collect DNA as you work through the levels. You can then “evolve” your ship using collected DNA creating different designs. The game defaults to a forward firing egg, using WASD keys to move, and the mouse to aim. This combination of control methods is be rather completed at times. However you have a selection of different weapon configurations that can compensate for this. I did quite well using the cyclone format. Rather than shooting a stream of bullets, it allowed for a couple of spiral’s to form up and down of the ship. More effectively clearing the screen, while allowing me to focus on dodging. The game play can be very intense at times, almost frustrating, however the ability to adapt your ship to your preferred playing style is a major boom. The in built tutorials means you don’t have to guess at how the game works. This is the most graphically superior of all the game entries I reviewed, combined with it’s unique game play, Darkcoder once again finds himself a strong contender in the competition.

Lightspeed

Lightspeed is basically a worm based game where the player collects small power up’s that lengthen your vapour trail. The aim of the game is either to shoot the AI player, or have it crash into your tail. If either happens you win. You get a certain number of powers you can collect as the game progresses. You start with the ability to make 2 short ups were you vanish and reappear over a short distance. You also start with two bullets. You must make the AI player use all it’s jumps before you’ll be able to catch it. While being sure not to crash into the other players trail. It’s a simple game you can just pick up and put down without making any kind of commitment to it. Ideal for players who just want to fit quick games in between phone calls, school work or any other responsibilities. Simple, sleek, good looking, easy to pick up and put down. A very good minigame for this competition.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2009 16:18
Congrats guys! I didn't even enter and the suspense was still killing me.

i like orange
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2009 16:25
Nice, but why do you keep using screenshots from my WIP thread rather than the game itself? My WIP pics have debug text on them and generally don't look the same as the final version.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2009 16:29
Fraps and print screen wouldn't grab an image.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2009 16:34
And there it is. Congrats all!

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2009 19:05
Yes, congratulations to everyone! I thought I had a good change of getting in considering I am the only one with a screen shot in the newsletter that didn't, but all the other games look good so I can understand.

DBPro, limited by the programmer.
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2009 19:06
Props all.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2009 22:18
Congratulations to the worthy top ten!

Dk, yeah thatd be good, ill add ya later. Looks like you beat me this time,but theres always the next competition ;P

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Yay! Made it. Some tough competition out there. Congrats to all who got through, and bad luck to anyone who hasn't. Not sure whether I should post the game up for peeps to try or not. I will put up a thread if peeps want to try it.
When can we expect the next round to be judged?

http://s6.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=103081
jeffhuys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 02:47
Yeah, any input on the next round?

You're the 'th to view this signature!
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 03:33
The owners of the winning games will now be hunted out by TGC and forced to work in a video game development labor camp.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 04:38
Hmm...I should be safe this far from England, right?

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 04:44
Wow, I'm surprised The Land of the Dead didn't make it, I loved that.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 04:55
Call of the Dead you mean? . That was an excellent game, I too wonder why it didn't get through. Maybe it scared the judges too much and they skipped it .

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 07:43
Oly! I made it through! I feel good!

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 10:20 Edited at: 10th May 2009 10:26
Congratulations,

To all who have made it into the top 10. Thanks again to everyone who supported my failed effort- "Call of the Dead" (but I always knew it was a risky theme). Some great entries and I look forward to seeing the results.

Daniel has done a great job organising this. I had great fun coding my entry and playing other peoples.

I hope it’s not too long until CC#2.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 10:40
I am discussing CC#2 with Rick. Throwing around a couple idea's.

I am basically zipping up the entries, ready to send to the other judges, we'll then discuss the 5 best games in this group to goto the final judging round. Then it's the final 3 winners.

I will also work on monday to get everyone on this stage their next set of free TGC store points.
Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 20:55 Edited at: 10th May 2009 20:56
Quote: "The owners of the winning games will now be hunted out by TGC and forced to work in a video game development labor camp."
hehe sounds like a good way to produce a game without distraction ^-^

Monk, perhaps your game was too big to be considered a mini-game? Well in any case next competition, i challenge you lol , hopefully we'll get an idea of what it'll be about even if it's a small hint xD

flashing snall, i also challenge you for the next competition hehe

Congrats to everyone who entered into the competition

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 01:35 Edited at: 11th May 2009 01:36
Ill see if I can get around to taking that challenge. Totally depends what it is, I dont feel like wasting my time anymore

But, if we do meet again on the fields of battle, I will dominate you, with my fiery sword of greatness.

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 21:16
Seeing as Dragon Knight is challenging everyone else, I challenge Dragon Knight! Lol, I do plan on doing the next one(and winning!)

DBPro, limited by the programmer.
Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 01:14
flashing snall, DB PROgrammer, fierce-sum battle talk eh? Heh I can see the next competition being a heated battle field full of warriors > fighting for honour and glory.

flashing snall <- you never wasted your time i bet you've learnt a few things or two with your project. Actually i KNOW you have

DB PROgrammer <- first person to challenge me xD i admire the courage.

I truely believe community competitions do bring people together,

To everyone who's challenged or challenged me xD, perhaps some day.. we'll all join forces and create something amazing but not til we've had a bit more battles That would be an awsome community competition!!! You sign up then the judges put you in a group with someone and you have to work together to make an awsome game. Teams of 2 no-one is allowed to join up with just anyone they want lol would make things allot more interesting.

For anyone who didn't join the last competition, get ready for the next one xD prepare yourselves for battle!

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 02:59
Quote: "You sign up then the judges put you in a group with someone and you have to work together to make an awsome game. Teams of 2 no-one is allowed to join up with just anyone they want lol would make things allot more interesting."

But then you might end up doing all of the work like in those group projects where your partner doesn't care

Btw great job everyone (both those who got in the top 10 and those who didn't)

<-- Spell based team dueling game!
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 04:02
I dont know if I would like that, becuase I rely heavily on all my friends to help me out. You could say that we have a team, because weve actually put out 2 games, and are working on the third. I dont think I could be parted from them.

I wonder what the next compo will be.

Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 13:07
perhaps something a bit bigger than a minigame? or a retro remake

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 21:36
or maybe, an mmorpg!!!!
I feel like it should either be puzzle, retro, or maybe a racing game. Idk.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Any idea on the next stage? 1 week 2? Would be nice to have a ballpark lol.

Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 22:35 Edited at: 12th May 2009 22:36
Actually a racing game would sound brilliant , i've never done one before so i'd love to do something new !!! Weather 2D or 3D i'd try my very best

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 23:28
A racing game would be cool!
A puzzle game would be much more challenging though....

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 23:38
A puzzle racing game!! While your racing on a track, random tetris pieces fall from the sky 'building' the track in front of you.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 23:40
Drive your way to the end of the labyrinth the fastest!

Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 13th May 2009 02:21
Well, better some kind of driving game than a shooter. I learned that the hard way.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2009 14:57
What about a simulator? (of anything). Making it a driving game or something is a bit restrictive

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2009 18:03
A couple of quick updates:

I'm basically organising the judging team at the moment, this is why I've released no definate updates. I would like these two, to take their time playing these games and getting to know them really well. This way they can make the best decisions possible. Then we will get together and start discussion the final 5 games to go through to the final stage.

I still need to organise the new batch of TGC Store points to go out, which I hope will be done by friday.

Once the two judges have the 10 games I will let you know. But as they are not paid, I'm not going to pressure them with definate deadlines. I will however report on their progress. To ensure fair judging, I'll release their names at the end of the competition with a big thanks posting.

In other related news. If you wish to discuss the competition with me, how you think it's progressed, idea's for the future, etc. I'm currently avalible on The Game Creators teamspeak server.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=150575&b=2

The above link provides the details on how to access it. I'm happy for you guys to discuss it in real time with each other. Or ask me about something.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2009 15:01 Edited at: 14th May 2009 15:55
Ok, I and the three judges have met up and discussed the games at some lenth. We have the 5 we have picked to go into the next stage. As I did last week, I will post a random game name, once a day, starting next monday. Then the following week we will release details the 3rd, 2nd winners. Finally the first place winner will be released with the next issue of the TGC newsletter complete with screenshots, comments from the judges, an honourable mention, and perhaps even a video of the games in action.
jeffhuys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2009 17:10
Ahh tension!!!

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2009 19:06
AHH!! You guys are so evil! I'm happy just making it into the top ten, if I made top 5 I might jump up and down ecstatically like a little girl hopped up on sugar.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2009 20:37 Edited at: 14th May 2009 20:53
Just wanted to let everyone know that it was a pleasure playing your games, they were great...and a nice break from FPSC-Land!

It wasn't easy picking the winners, as they were all well done.

-Keith

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2009 13:18
I'd just like to give a quick thanks to our two judges.

KeithC long standing forum moderator.
Thomas, a player from outside the TGC community.

Their balance of views and experiance, helped get the best games picked.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh just to let you know, I haven't noticed any points in my account yet apart from the ones for entering. Still not got that done?

Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2009 02:59
Thanks for setting up the competition, along with the judges for judging.

Agh soo much time til we find out the results xD, keeping us on the edge lol, soo glad i have uni exams to keep me busy.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2009 06:27
I would still really like a review on each entry. Or at least all the entries uploaded to some archive. Preferably both.

mamaji4
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe 250 store points for me, for coming in last with my hackneyed tile shuffling game. Har,har.

If at first you don't succeed, relax. You're like the rest of us.
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2009 14:16 Edited at: 16th May 2009 14:16
Will at least the top ten entries be downloadable from a competition page when the judging is finished? Not all of them had WIP threads and it would be great to have the whole collection of these excellent games.

For those who made it to top 10: congratulations and good luck for the further selection!
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2009 22:44
Quote: "I would still really like a review on each entry. Or at least all the entries uploaded to some archive. Preferably both."

Sorry don't have the time to review all 37 entries.

I'll be packing up the 10 entries that made it through, probibly into a single installation file for ease of download, install and uninstall if needed.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2009 01:06 Edited at: 17th May 2009 01:07
I have added a thread for the Darts game I entered, for anyone who wants to try it out.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=150754&b=36

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2009 11:21
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2009 17:55 Edited at: 18th May 2009 17:57
The first finalist of the week, is!

World Championship Darts

World Championship Darts is a classic dart board simulation. The object is to start with 301 points, and work your score down to zero. To finish each set you must hit either a double or the bulls eye. With great, simple, clean graphics, and a good attention to detail. The game throws a few curves at the player making game play challenging and worth while. Throwing the dart at the wire will see it bounce off, with a drifting hand, the player has to constantly compensate when throwing. The A.I. feels like your playing another imperfect player, without being so dumbed down it’s not a challenge. This is a well designed dartboard simulation, that as earned it’s right to the next stage.

Comments from the judges:

Thomas: I found this game hard to control and frustrating, but it looks great! A beginners mode would be nice.

Daniel: This is a fantastic game with great graphics and challenging game play. It took me a while to realise I had to end the game on a double, for a long time I thought it was broken code! But once I realised how it worked. I couldn't get enough of it.

Keith: This is a classic case of a game that doesn't have to be burdened with "Next-Gen" graphics, or in-depth gameplay (or even original in concept). Just a nice game to play when you have a few spare minutes. Two thumbs up from me.

Congratulations to DVADER who has made it into the final five.
jeffhuys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2009 17:58 Edited at: 18th May 2009 18:23
Congrats !

Edit: Wow, just realised I posted this JUST after the results!

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2009 18:14
Can't... wait... four... more... days...

Well done, DVADER

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 17:30:59
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 17:30:59