Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / TGC App Developers Group

Author
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2011 10:07
Quote: "So basically pay full to get it now or wait 2 weeks and get $30 off. Interesting..."

The other (maybe significant) difference would also be that the TCG Site version will not be integrated with and require the AppUp client, so this will be another plus in my opinion (given the unstable nature and experiences of this so far from reports).

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2011 21:24
Hi guys, just back and a quick message to say hi.

Hi.

You've all been very busy! Congrats Batvink!!!

I don't see any vital loose ends so I'll finish unpacking and try to sort some minor things out later.

The British weather finally came through and I spent the whole week on the beach!! Fantastic.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2011 22:47
Welcome back Baxslash!

Quote: "The British weather finally came through and I spent the whole week on the beach!! Fantastic."

Lucky!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 11:30 Edited at: 1st Aug 2011 11:36
I have another useful link for the front post Baxslash, the ADG website.

Edit: How do you guys determine the screen resolution for your game? Do you just select a resolution at the beginning such as 1024x600 and just stick with it or do you perform checklists for the supported resolution, pick the most convenient and then use maths/ratios etc to place sprites, images etc?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 11:51
Quote: "I have another useful link for the front post Baxslash, the ADG website"

Consider it done!

Quote: " How do you guys determine the screen resolution for your game? Do you just select a resolution at the beginning such as 1024x600 and just stick with it or do you perform checklists for the supported resolution, pick the most convenient and then use maths/ratios etc to place sprites, images etc?"

I am trying to make all of my games run at full screen resolution in "fulldesktop" these days. I just set the res to the size of the desktop using matrix utility commands to check the current res. When positioning sprites or HUD text I use some constants such as:

Another approach is to use a set size such as 800x468 and just centre the windowed app.

I think it depends on how well the game runs at fullscreen...

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 12:04
I see. My one concern is that apparently the HP mini uses a screen res of 1024x576 compared to the usual 1024x600. So I might have a go at using ratios to position the sprites but 24 pixels difference isn't that much either, I'll have to consider a few methods. Thanks Baxslash!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 12:16
Welcome back Baxslash. We fed the goldfish, but forgot to water the plants while you were away. Could have been worse, it could have been the other way around.

Quote: "How do you guys determine the screen resolution for your game? Do you just select a resolution at the beginning such as 1024x600 and just stick with it or do you perform checklists for the supported resolution, pick the most convenient and then use maths/ratios etc to place sprites, images etc"

I perform the checklist and then get the best resolution. One thing to be aware of is that if you make your game available for XP, you have to account for a fixed Windows menu bar if not in Fullscreen. This got my app failed because the bar obscured my game. So less than 600 can be more widespread than you realise.

I have source code that I call my GameFrame to deal with different screen sizes. Everything I do is relative so that screen size doesn't matter. It took me 6 moonths to create my GameFrame though

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 12:28
Quote: "We fed the goldfish, but forgot to water the plants while you were away."

That's OK my Father in-law did that for me...

Quote: "I have source code that I call my GameFrame to deal with different screen sizes. Everything I do is relative so that screen size doesn't matter. It took me 6 moonths to create my GameFrame though"

That sounds like a handy bit of code Bats

I'm still thinking I should cook up an easily transferable bit of code for that...

I'm adding some more to the AppUp Developers Guide if anyone has any ideas for stuff that's missing then let me know. A basic section on "Code signing" is in progress. Also I'm adding "Things to remember!" to the different sections. I also want to add mr_d's installer maker but I haven't used the latest version yet. I may give it a try on my latest updates so it might have to wait until V1.2 of the guide unless someone wants to write a quick guide for me? mr_d maybe? No pressure...

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 12:33 Edited at: 1st Aug 2011 12:34
Quote: "One thing to be aware of is that if you make your game available for XP, you have to account for a fixed Windows menu bar if not in Fullscreen."

Thanks for the heads up but I think I will make my apps fullscreen/desktop.

Quote: "Everything I do is relative so that screen size doesn't matter."

This is what I'm trying to achieve, I'll have to sit down and work out the ratios and equations.

Quote: "It took me 6 moonths to create my GameFrame though "

A bit of an English accent there but that 6 months was on and off right? I have a few ideas forming in my head at the moment so I'll find some free time and put them into practice. Thanks BatVink!

Edit-
@ Baxslash, this ninja-ing isn't going to be a permanent thing is it?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 13:13 Edited at: 1st Aug 2011 13:19
Quote: "Baxslash, this ninja-ing isn't going to be a permanent thing is it?"

Only until you get faster than me....

I've done that quick update to the guide and included some info on the starting a new application in the dashboard (and code signing):
AppUp Developers Guide V1.1

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 13:16 Edited at: 1st Aug 2011 13:27
Quote: "Only until you get faster than me"

Good answer

Quote: "I've done that quick update to the guide and included some info on the starting a new application in the dashboard (and code signing):"

I will check it out now.

I've found one thing regarding the AppUp guide v1.1, this sentence:
Quote: "It may be not display at anything less than 800x600"
under the "Will my game run on any display size?" question. Not quite sure what it's getting at there but sounds like anything less than 800x600 is not recommended.

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 16:19
@baxslash
welcome back - hope you had a nice vacation
Just read the newsletter, and wanted to say thanks for the mention of my tools (one even had a picture ).
Quote: "I also want to add mr_d's installer maker but I haven't used the latest version yet. I may give it a try on my latest updates so it might have to wait until V1.2 of the guide unless someone wants to write a quick guide for me? mr_d maybe? No pressure..."

I attempted to create the program so that it would be very simple to use, with the buttons even marked with numbers to indicate the order that they should be used, as well as tooltip help such that it wouldn't need any further instructions. I'm sure people will do fine with it first go. (I'm not trying to be deliberately lazy - well maybe a little- I just do not have the time to put something together at this time). Anyway, thanks again.

BTW, I am currently in the process of trying to get my free code signing certificate as well, but using a business name instead of as an individual and it's taking some time to get the relevant documentation together (still in the middle of doing this at the moment) to submit to their validation; I hope it ends up being accepted though as I've spent a lot of time and effort getting all the required proof together...will let you know how it all goes...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 16:25
Quote: "I attempted to create the program so that it would be very simple to use, with the buttons even marked with numbers to indicate the order that they should be used, as well as tooltip help such that it wouldn't need any further instructions. I'm sure people will do fine with it first go. (I'm not trying to be deliberately lazy - well maybe a little- I just do not have the time to put something together at this time)."

I'm sure you're right. I'll do something myself if I think it necessary after trying it out.

Quote: "BTW, I am currently in the process of trying to get my free code signing certificate as well, but using a business name instead of as an individual and it's taking some time to get the relevant documentation together (still in the middle of doing this at the moment) to submit to their validation; I hope it ends up being accepted though as I've spent a lot of time and effort getting all the required proof together...will let you know how it all goes..."

That would be great, I'll be trying to get this sorted for my own updates over the next week and will do likewise.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 17:12
Welcome back, baxslash. Hope your wife was cured fast and the holiday was great?

Quote: "BTW, I am currently in the process of trying to get my free code signing certificate as well"

So, basically, even if teh code signing thingy is free for another year for members that where already member before they demanded teh code sign certificate, you still need it?

Quote: "this ninja-ing isn't going to be a permanent thing is it?"

Oh yes it will, ask the Flashlight (headbanging) Ninja.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 17:18
Quote: "So, basically, even if teh code signing thingy is free for another year for members that where already member before they demanded teh code sign certificate, you still need it?"

Yes, the certificate is free but you still need to apply for it.

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 18:05
Thinking of certificates, this might sounds like a really silly question but what actually is it? I ask because having gone through various processed, the Comodo website eventually told me that "congratulations, you have got your certificate". Well that's all well and good but where actually is it? And what is it? And what should I do with it? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 18:21 Edited at: 1st Aug 2011 18:22
Check out this article, it describes what to do:
http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/article/signing-msi-files

EDIT: I just added this link in the new guide

As to what it is exactly I don't actually know...

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 19:00
Thanks baxslash. I hadn't done the final stage of exporting the certificate from the web browser so I couldn't see anything on my machine. I feel much better now I have a pfx file that is willing to vouch for my identity and that I can back up in lots of places so I never have to go through that process again . Until next year. Thanks again!

By the way, I noticed that in the newsletter, you say something about adding platform specific areas to our AppGameKit site. Does this mean that we're going to encompass all app stores and app development? Just wondered because we just renamed ourselves TGC AppUp Developers Group. If we're going that way, should we quietly drop the "Up" from the name? I notice that this has already been done on the ADG website.

And great newsletter again BatVink . Love the article about TGC summer school thing. It's amazing what kids can do when they are actually motivated. I used to run a Programming Society at my old Secondary School. All my peers used to laugh and make jokes about me sitting on my own in a room waiting for people to turn up but the truth was, it had a really great turn out and I think the kid's teachers would have been astounded by what they could achieve in the space of a lunch break when they put their mind to it.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 19:19
Quote: "By the way, I noticed that in the newsletter, you say something about adding platform specific areas to our AppGameKit site. Does this mean that we're going to encompass all app stores and app development? Just wondered because we just renamed ourselves TGC AppUp Developers Group. If we're going that way, should we quietly drop the "Up" from the name? I notice that this has already been done on the ADG website."

I think that might be on the cards but for now we know nothing really of the other platforms. I guess the group will continue to evolve as the products start being used.

I don't think TGC App Developers Group is much of a leap from TGC AppUp Developers group...

Quote: "great newsletter again BatVink"

Agreed, a good read as usual!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 09:19
Quote: "Oh yes it will, ask the Flashlight (headbanging) Ninja. "

So that's what baxslash looks like when he is on these forums.

Quote: "I guess the group will continue to evolve as the products start being used.
"

I think that we will get quite a few new members once AppGameKit is released.

I think the name AppUp developers group is appropriate for the location of this thread. Basically the only store that accepts dbpro programs is the Appup store.

Just thinking, when AppGameKit comes out and the group expands should we create a new ADG HQ thread simply because we wouldn't be limited to DBPro and AppUp anymore? It could either be placed in AppGameKit or Geek Culture (Geek culture to cover every dev tool).

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 10:36
Quote: "So that's what baxslash looks like when he is on these forums."

Not far off, I use a flying vee guitar

Quote: "I think the name AppUp developers group is appropriate for the location of this thread. Basically the only store that accepts dbpro programs is the Appup store. "

Good point.

I think Geek culture might be missed by the majority of new AppGameKit users, just look at the response we got on the site thread Batvink started. I was surprised more people weren't interested.

I'll start a thread in the AppGameKit forum and see what the response is like...

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 11:02
Quote: "I think Geek culture might be missed by the majority of new AppGameKit users, just look at the response we got on the site thread Batvink started. I was surprised more people weren't interested."

So was I, I expected way more people to be interested.

Quote: "I'll start a thread in the AppGameKit forum and see what the response is like"

I expect this to work quite well when AppGameKit is launched...but then again I expected geek culture to work as well. But I am more confident with the AppGameKit board.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 11:12
Here's the new thread:
App Developers Group

Teh Stone
Years of Service
User Offline
Would it be too cheeky to ask if you can share this gameFrane batvink
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 11:44
Quote: "So that's what baxslash looks like when he is on these forums."

Oh, wait till he starts headbanging.

Quote: "Not far off, I use a flying vee guitar"

Awesome, fella! I want I want.

Great idea for the App Developers Group thread on the AppGameKit board.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 11:45
Quote: "Oh, wait till he starts headbanging. "

Now that would be something I'd like to see, how about it Baxslash?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 12:17
Quote: "Now that would be something I'd like to see, how about it Baxslash?"

I'll try to dig out an old photo I don't have enough hair any more... I'm still a Metallica man rather than Slayer though Chris, sorry

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 20:37
Quote: "Would it be too cheeky to ask if you can share this gameFrane batvink"

I've shared a few things over the years but unfortunately this code is part of a partnership, so although I wrote the code there is more than just myself that has an investment in the development it is used for, sorry

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 20:53
Pile 'Em Up is on 99 downloads right now - who is going to be my prestigious 100th owner? I'll let you have it for free...oh wait, it's already free!

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 21:48 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2011 21:58
I tried, and I can find it through the website, but it wont show it to me in the App Store. I tried searching, and tried doing a full alphabetical list in Games and it wasn't showing up.

[edit]
I found the Radar Demo, but I'm getting an AppCrash when it gets to the menu.

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 22:29
Quote: "I found the Radar Demo, but I'm getting an AppCrash when it gets to the menu."

Hmm that's intriguing. Naturally nothing on the crash on my AppUp dashboard yet so is there any more info you can give? Was there an error message? Given that you say about the menu, presumably that means you reached the menu so at what point did it crash? Thanks.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 22:54 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2011 22:55
Quote: "I tried, and I can find it through the website, but it wont show it to me in the App Store."

I'm finding this frustrating. I can see it quite clearly, yet on my wife's laptop it isn't there either. I reinstalled the AppUp client, and it still didn't show. 99 people have found it so it's not missing entirely. I wonder if it's the UK that's missing it at the moment.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 00:12
I'll try downloading it as soon as I can Batvink but I'm done in after a loong day. Off to bed now...

My wife is using the Netbook anyway

Teh Stone
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I've shared a few things over the years but unfortunately this code is part of a partnership"

Completely understand, thanks anyway, well done thats a good number of downloads for how long its been up
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 01:24
I sorted the visibility issue - it's not validated for 64-bit Win7, so it is omitted from the listing.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 02:06
@Lucas, here's the AppCrash info. Not sure it will help.

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: RADAR Demo.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4d460aea
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17514
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce7ba58
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000222c2
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

It happens when I get to the menu, but not until I put the cursor over a menu item.

I'm also on Windows 7 64-bit.

@BatVink, BUMMER. I was hoping to be the 100th.

Maybe I'll grab it with the kids' computer later.

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 10:36
@KISTech
Thanks for the info. My computer runs Win7 SP1 x64 and that works fine. I don't really know what that means but the thing that stands out to me is that the error appears to occur in your ntdll.dll. Have you had any other ntdll.dll errors on your computer? As far as I understand it, this is a pretty fundamental windows dll. If you don't mind, could you check to see whether the Google Ads appear in the bottom left hand corner or the game? I ask because I've found this issue linked to various things including Adobe Flash errors in IE and as some Google Ads are flash and BBB GUI uses a Trident rendering engine (I think) I wondered if this might be the issue. Thanks again for your help!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 10:53
@Lucas Tiridath, did you include the uskin dll in the application folder? If that is missing it could cause a crash...

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 13:14
Quote: "did you include the uskin dll in the application folder? If that is missing it could cause a crash..."

Thanks for the thought but I've checked and it's definitely there. I'm not sure it would run on any computers if it were not but I've seen it running on a number of machines now. I think that when it's missing, it also tends to have a specific error message. I'm really puzzled because as I say, ntdll.dll seems to include a lot of core Windows NT functionality. I'm guessing the issue is something to do with the fact that the demo calls the windows API through BBB GUI but I'm not all that clear on what could be going wrong.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 13:17
Seems odd that it works on your W7 x64 system and not KISTech's. Perhaps you're right and it's system specific. We'd better wait and hear from KISTech.

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 13:36
Hello chaps! I have been welcomed kindly into the ADG. I am looking forward to being a part of this community, which is new to me. Thanks Batvink for drawing my attention to it

Join us at www.devhat.net and in #lobby at irc.devhat.net
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 13:43
Welcome aboard @Mnemonix!

I hope you find it useful

Further to our previous chat if you have any advice to add to the "AppUp Developers Guide" in the first post please let us know. As a DGDK developer we would really value your experience in publishing your game Tilted Video Poker to AppUp!

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 14:03
Hey, I could setup an chat channel on the devhat IRC network for the ADG if people would like a place where we can all chat and hang out and share tips/advice. Let us know if you think it is a good idea and I will set it up, and write a tutorial so I can show everybody how to get connected to it

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 14:08
Quote: "Hey, I could setup an chat channel on the devhat IRC network for the ADG if people would like a place where we can all chat and hang out and share tips/advice. Let us know if you think it is a good idea and I will set it up, and write a tutorial so I can show everybody how to get connected to it"

Nice idea. Could be a good way to avoid this thread from getting too full when a quick 'chat' could resolve a whole conversation. Why not set it up and we'll see how much it gets used?

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 14:28
Ok, so I have set the channel up. It is located at:-

server: irc.devhat.net
channel: #ADG

If you are using firefox, you can go and grab the chatzilla plugin. If you are on windows, then you can go and grab mIRC (this is what I use). Linux users can use XChat to connect.

When you get into the irc channel you can type "/server irc.devhat.net" (no quotes) to connect and "/join #ADG" to get into the channel. Also "/nick <nickname" will change your name.

When my internet connection gets fixed I will put up a much better tutorial for getting people connected to the IRC.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 14:53
I'm on using the firefox plugin. Pretty simple that way...

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 14:56
Yea, Chatzilla is pretty neat. I use that when I go to my sisters house

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 15:02
Sorry about leaving like that baxslash, BT phoned so I had to unplug the dongle whilst they pratted about and did nothing to help my situation, just fob me off for another day.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 15:05
Quote: "Sorry about leaving like that baxslash, BT phoned so I had to unplug the dongle whilst they pratted about and did nothing to help my situation, just fob me off for another day."

No problem.

I just added the details of the IRC chat channel to the first post. I'm sure it'll be a nice easy way for us all to communicate open a discussion if / when a suitable subject arrises or to just have a chat with anyone who's available!

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 15:10 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2011 15:32
I'm always on there in the #lobby channel, along with the devhat regulars anyway, so I will idle in the ADG channel for anybody who wants a chat

[EDIT]
I have successfully uploaded my game now, it is available at the link

http://downloads.paradoxbang.com/tilted_video_poker.zip

This is the freeware version of the game, the only difference is that there is no appup verification in this build.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 09:45:35
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 09:45:35