Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Xbox One

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 18:13 Edited at: 4th Sep 2013 18:15
Quote: "You can buy wireless kit pads"

Wireless pads yes, but without usb recievers for PC. At least not in Russia.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 18:45
I don't use wireless on my PC cuz I don't like the lag that it brings. Wired FTW.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 20:42
Quote: "I don't like the lag that it brings."

There are wireless displays already, c'mon it's the future you are missing!

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 23:11
I wonder what the aliens are thinking with all these hyper frequency messages floating around the globe

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 23:20 Edited at: 4th Sep 2013 23:30
Quote: "I wonder what the aliens are thinking with all these hyper frequency messages floating around the globe"

EDIT

Changed image as it would not show up

EDIT

Dang takes forever to catch this one...

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2013 02:48
Quote: "Awkward!"

Is it? I actually have no idea if Redemption was even ported to PC, but I know there were two games that were good PC ports; Max Payne 3 was one of them and I thought the other was Red Dead Redemption....ok a quick Google tells me it wasn't. Oops... :S Well, Max Payne 3 WAS a good PC port anyway.

Quote: "Plug an xbox controller in!"

AH!! NEVER!! That's a HORRIBLE idea!! The whole point of playing on PC (other than improved graphics and oftentimes better editors) is the PC controls! Mouse and keyboard FTW! Well I use a wired Xbox controller for the driving in Sleeping Dogs but only because the controls suck.

Quote: "I don't use wireless on my PC cuz I don't like the lag that it brings. Wired FTW."

If you have a decent wireless mouse/gamepad there should be no lag. I have a Logitech G700 gaming mouse and it's wireless. If you plug in the charging cable (YES! My mouse can charge my AA batteries for me! ), the data then switches to wired and runs through the cable and I can feel not the slightest difference between wired and wireless. Wireless=lag is an antiquated idea these days.

Quote: "There are wireless displays already, c'mon it's the future you are missing!"

Cool! I have got to get me one of those!

Quote: "I wonder what the aliens are thinking with all these hyper frequency messages floating around the globe"

I've often wondered more about whether or not all these swarms of radio waves are the cause of the large amounts of cancer we see. Still, since use of radio waves isn't going to slow down or stop any time soon I think we'd be better off not thinking too carefully about what it might be doing to us

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2013 05:10
Quote: "That's a HORRIBLE idea!! The whole point of playing on PC (other than improved graphics and oftentimes better editors) is the PC controls! "

Of course I only use the controller when it's the most appropriate. Playing an FPS with a controller? The idea makes me laugh XD

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2013 05:33
Quote: "Of course I only use the controller when it's the most appropriate. Playing an FPS with a controller? The idea makes me laugh XD"

Well for me, "where appropriate" is "where absolutely necessary" The driving in Sleeping Dogs, for example. It's unplayable with a keyboard, so I have to plug in a wired PS3 controller (though Sleeping Dogs only supports Xbox controllers, so I have to use a program to make the game think the PS3 controller is an Xbox controller). And because I have to swap between mouse/keyboard and gamepad when I get in/out of cars, it generally results in both the gamepad and the mouse ending up on the floor :S

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2013 12:18 Edited at: 5th Sep 2013 12:22
Quote: "Wireless=lag is an antiquated idea these days."

So true.

Quote: "Playing an FPS with a controller? The idea makes me laugh XD"

Fear 3 + gamepad = awesome!
Darkness 2 + gamepad = awesome!
Alpha Protocol + gamepad = awesome!

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2013 16:26
Quote: "Fear 3 + gamepad = awesome!"

Nope. No way. I've finished F3AR and I could never have done with a gamepad

Quote: "Darkness 2 + gamepad = awesome!
Alpha Protocol + gamepad = awesome!"

I have no idea what either or those are and can't be bothered googling it right now

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2013 21:55
Quote: "Nope. No way. I've finished F3AR and I could never have done with a gamepad"

Every FPS or 3rdPS on PC with a gamepad is awesome! Assassin's creed, Bioshock and everything else. Mouse is for quests and RTS.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2013 22:35 Edited at: 5th Sep 2013 22:35
Precision games (CoD/UT etc) should only be played mouse & keyboard. Imprecise games (Assassin's creed etc) are better with a gamepad.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2013 23:45
CoD? Press x to win? Or you mean multiplayer? Then yes, mouse need.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2013 00:51
I meant games where you need fine control of the aiming reticule, I've never played CoD as I'm not 12. lol

I'm an unreal tournament kinda guy. (And I haven't played that properly in almost 5 years.)

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2013 10:58
Quote: "Every FPS or 3rdPS on PC with a gamepad is awesome! Assassin's creed, Bioshock and everything else. Mouse is for quests and RTS."

Nope nope nope nope nope. With a gamepad it's like, "Oh, there's an enemy...ok, now he's behind me....turning...turning...turning...ARG TURN FASTER!!"

Quote: "Precision games (CoD/UT etc) should only be played mouse & keyboard."

Yes.

Quote: "Imprecise games (Assassin's creed etc) are better with a gamepad."

No. Well, maybe driving games, but nothing else. And particularly not AC. I hate not being able to turn my screen and climb a wall AT THE SAME TIME, which I can do on PC (but not on Xbox).

Quote: "CoD? Press x to win?"

CoD's not realistic in any way, shape or form, but it's still cool. And not as "press x to win" as BF3's awful SP campaign. BF3's SP is horribly scripted. In fact my brother's playing it through for the second time right behind me this instant, trying to get me to watch how "ninja" he's being, but I'm busy typing to you guys

Quote: "Or you mean multiplayer? Then yes, mouse need."

Quote: "I meant games where you need fine control of the aiming reticule"

Yes.

Quote: "I've never played CoD as I'm not 12"

CoD has a fun SP campaign with perfect FPS controls and highly competitive MP (albeit one mostly full of 12-year-olds spending their parents' money on every hack and cheat they can buy).

BF3 does have much better gunplay (more realistic) and MUUUCH better graphics, but again it's horribly scripted.

Quote: "I'm an unreal tournament kinda guy."

Ooh yes! I love UT! My brother and I play UT2004 quite often against a hoard of bots (and each other, of course ). UT3 is fun too but it doesn't run as well and moves somewhat away from the precise twitch gameplay of UT2003/4. Also Quake 3 is really fun. Far more stressful and twitchy than UT.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2013 12:21
Quote: "Nope nope nope nope nope. With a gamepad it's like, "Oh, there's an enemy...ok, now he's behind me....turning...turning...turning...ARG TURN FASTER!!""

A bad dancer always blames the flute and drum players.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2013 14:17
Quote: "A bad dancer always blames the flute and drum players."

It's more like using football cleats for long distance marathons. It's the wrong tool for the job.

Quote: "albeit one mostly full of 12-year-olds spending their parents' money on every hack and cheat they can buy"

That should tell you something about the quality of the game

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2013 14:20
Quote: "It's more like using football cleats for long distance marathons. It's the wrong tool for the job."

A bad workman blames his tools.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2013 15:50
Ut3 was ok, the best was probably ut 2003 ut ut99.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2013 16:47
Quote: "A bad dancer always blames the flute and drum players."

Haha

Quote: "It's more like using football cleats for long distance marathons. It's the wrong tool for the job."

Yes.

Quote: "That should tell you something about the quality of the game"

No, it just tells you their cheat protection sucks

Quote: "A bad workman blames his tools."

A bad workman will only get worse if his tools are not suited to the job.

Quote: "Ut3 was ok, the best was probably ut 2003 ut ut99."

That's pretty much what I said....except I've never played any UT earlier than 2003.

@bitJericho:

You're awesome just because you said this...

Quote: "Playing an FPS with a controller? The idea makes me laugh XD"

...and your avatar is Rimmer

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2013 18:26
Quote: "A bad workman will only get worse if his tools are not suited to the job."

Gamepad is not a tool to play games. Best excuse for lame players ever.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2013 18:49
Quote: "'Every tool is a hammer. Except a chisel, that's a screwdriver.' - old blacksmith proverb"

However, any blacksmith would rather have a good hammer than something that he can use like one. Personally I prefer to play with keyboard and mouse for first person games.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2013 19:13
It's true that a game pad isn't as accurate as a mouse, but it doesn't necessarily follow that one particular control method will be less fun to use because it's not as accurate.

I enjoy playing COD:BO2 multiplayer from time to time on the PS3, and I enjoy playing it with a game pad. I think for the accuracy reason I would prefer using a mouse, which is a shame because it seems somehow less laid back using office equipment (ie. a mouse and keyboard) to play a video game.
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2013 20:28
Gamepad has way better layout to control player in FPS than keyboard. D-pad is for skills is better than 1234, and so on. And, of course, RT as a trigger like in real gun + feedback. Nah, mouse is for CS only.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 01:23
Quote: "CoD has a fun SP campaign"

Oh boy. So fu - EXPLOSION! I love the paci - EXPLOSION! OMFG! LOOK AT THAT HARRIER CRASH! NEEEEOOWW! It really tells a great sto - ISN!T THIS EPIC! WHAT!! YOU WANT CONTROL? NO! YOU MIGHT LOOK AWAY FROM THESE OVERDESIGNED CUTSCENES WE SPENT $MILLIONS ON!
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 01:30
Quote: "Gamepad has way better layout to control player in FPS than keyboard. D-pad is for skills is better than 1234, and so on. And, of course, RT as a trigger like in real gun + feedback. Nah, mouse is for CS only"

There's a good reason that they don't mix xbox players with PC players in these games. Because all the xbox newbs would be foot stomped by the mouse users

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 02:02 Edited at: 7th Sep 2013 02:11
Quote: "There's a good reason that they don't mix xbox players with PC players in these games."

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Here:
Quote: "With a gamepad it's like, "Oh, there's an enemy...ok, now he's behind me....turning...turning...turning...ARG TURN FASTER!!""

Eat this:

Russians play CS on a gamepad. FTW!

P.S. I must say that my gamepad skills good only for singleplayer games. I play CS online poorly even with a mouse. But someday...

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 04:51
Quote: "Oh boy. So fu - EXPLOSION! I love the paci - EXPLOSION! OMFG! LOOK AT THAT HARRIER CRASH! NEEEEOOWW! It really tells a great sto - ISN!T THIS EPIC! WHAT!! YOU WANT CONTROL? NO! YOU MIGHT LOOK AWAY FROM THESE OVERDESIGNED CUTSCENES WE SPENT $MILLIONS ON!"

ROFL! So true!! Still fun though

Quote: "There's a good reason that they don't mix xbox players with PC players in these games. Because all the xbox newbs would be foot stomped by the mouse users"

True, although it occurs to me that m&kb noobs get stomped by experienced m&kb users anyway

Quote: "Eat this"

He's good! But to me, gamepads are either fairly accurate but far too slow-turning, or horribly inaccurate but fast-turning. A mouse gives you very high accuracy AND twitch-flick rotation (180 degrees in ~0.2 seconds FTW!). Also, on a side-note, I heard him say "one-shot, one-kill" a couple of times and "gamepad" at least once. Rotten language-thieves

Quote: "I play CS online poorly even with a mouse. But someday..."

Me too Although, I might be better if we didn't have satellite internet with 600-1000ms of lag. That kinda sucks big-time. It's near impossible to find a server that'll let me join, let alone actually be able to play.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 12:18
Quote: "I heard him say "one-shot, one-kill" a couple of times"

Because english is international when you play online. Otherwise nobody will understand him.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 15:21
Quote: "Because english is international when you play online. Otherwise nobody will understand him."

So is he voice-chatting when he says that or is he still talking to the camera? Because if he's talking to the camera then that point is invalid.

And English is international everywhere. It's amazing how many European countries can speak English as well as their native language

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 15:40 Edited at: 7th Sep 2013 15:50
Quote: "Because if he's talking to the camera then that point is invalid."

If we translate "joystick" to russian, we will get "joy stick", that sounds stupid so we leave it as is. Same with gamepad. Try it: "igrovaya klavishnaya panel". All countries "borrow" foreign words when they don't have any own. Like sushi or vodka.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 16:18
Quote: "All countries "borrow" foreign words when they don't have any own. Like sushi or vodka."

Oh yes of course, it was a joke English is built upon "borrowed" words. It was originally a Germanic language, which is why German is quite similar. It also borrows a lot from many other European countries, such as France.

Quote: "Try it: "igrovaya klavishnaya panel"."

So....are you Russian then? That would be cool. Not necessarily being Russian, I mean, but the fact that you can speak Russian. It's a cool language. Completely unintelligible of course, but cool The accent is cool also

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 17:31
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 18:17
Pshe pshe pshe! lol

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2013 07:41
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2013 17:21
[WARNING ADULT MATERIAL AHEAD]
http://megagames.com/news/microsoft-xbox-one-isnt-designed-function-vertically
[/WARNING ADULT MATERIAL AHEAD]

Well not adult just obscure adult comedy, so you have been warned a slight bit of profanity involved, view at your age restriction risk!

I love that sites articles, and the comments always make me gag... See the bottom of it... Comedy Gold!

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2013 20:22 Edited at: 20th Sep 2013 20:23
Gamefaqs.com

Nuff said

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2013 22:07
Sony expects to ship some 5 million units by March? 2014...

I expect the XBONE to make as many sales by April if not Summer time... thing is, XBONE sits in the middle of two markets, so they could find a contract deal with Network Providers and ship many more for sure... even less, think about this, it now can sit somewhere the PS4 cannot, inside the actual TV section of retail outlets! They could break a deal with a TV manufacturer to couple an XBONE together in some sort of a bundle now... Alternatively MS can find a dwindling TV Manufacturer [would be funny if it was Bravia] and buy that out... MS joining forces with Panasonic Samsung or LG even would be a devastating combination for Sony...

Completely my assumptions anyway...

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2013 00:00
MS would need a group of decent streaming services and the IP to make them attractive in addition. They won't buy TVs over - there are no profit margins on TVs.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2013 02:12
Or they could bring out XBox 1.1

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2013 05:10
Quote: "Or they could bring out XBox 1.1"

Which would be...?

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2013 12:40
@Mr Handy

That poll starts with a negative question, possibly attracting people who don't want one and want to give their reasons. If you want an XBox One then you would skip that poll since the question does not look like it caters for you(although it does). Hope that makes sense.

My opinion is it was phrased like that to get an overly negative result.

It should be 'Are you getting an Xbox One?' and then had options to say if not, why not?

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2013 15:50
Quote: "That poll starts with a negative question, possibly attracting people who don't want one and want to give their reasons. If you want an XBox One then you would skip that poll since the question does not look like it caters for you(although it does). Hope that makes sense.

My opinion is it was phrased like that to get an overly negative result.

It should be 'Are you getting an Xbox One?' and then had options to say if not, why not?"

I agree (and understand ).

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2013 19:01
I am sure that there was "Why don't you buy PS3?" as another everyday poll.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2013 01:39
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2013 01:07
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2013 02:32
Quote: "I expect the XBONE to make as many sales by April if not Summer time... thing is, XBONE sits in the middle of two markets, so they could find a contract deal with Network Providers and ship many more for sure... even less, think about this, it now can sit somewhere the PS4 cannot, inside the actual TV section of retail outlets! They could break a deal with a TV manufacturer to couple an XBONE together in some sort of a bundle now... Alternatively MS can find a dwindling TV Manufacturer [would be funny if it was Bravia] and buy that out... MS joining forces with Panasonic Samsung or LG even would be a devastating combination for Sony..."

You must be incredibly supportive of Microsoft to make that kind of argument. It's going to take a long time for them to recover from their PR disaster, if they ever do. Time to throw some big money at exclusives I think.

Formerly OBese87.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2013 05:04
Quote: "You must be incredibly supportive of Microsoft "

Somewhat

But you ignored this

Quote: "Completely my assumptions anyway... "

And Yeah I should support Microsoft, regardless of how much I can be annoyed at them for cutting several products which I liked in the past but you learn to move on...

And on top of that their platform currently makes me a income what's not to like about that?

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2013 17:27
Microsoft's previous PR blunder won't hamper sales in one bit. They'll still sell millions within the first few hours, As will the PS4.

The people who got annoyed at their previous position are few in number compared to the number of people who'll buy the new console. It's a new shiny bit of kit, and people will always want to be the first to own new shiny pieces of kit. Look at all the stoopid apple fanboys who queue for weeks to be the first to own a slightly better phone....

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2013 17:55
@CoffeeGrunt:

lol

Quote: "Look at all the stoopid apple fanboys who queue for weeks to be the first to own a slightly better phone...."

lol

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 09:24:56
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 09:24:56