Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Xbox One

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2013 23:12
Maybe the reason it doesn't bother me is because PC games have been this way for ages. Look at Steam or any of the publisher-specific DRM schemes - they are all designed to keep the game limited to a single, initial user.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 7th Jun 2013 23:18
How about the stupid thing that requires you to sign-in every 24 hours and if you can't, you can't even play single player games?

OR if you're borrowing a friend's console, the check must be performed every 1 HOUR?

Microsoft, you just sold a helluva lot of PS4s. I commend your helpfulness to Sony.

PS4 all the way, y'all.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2013 23:57
The connection thing is pretty bad. I don't get why they have to do it?
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2013 23:59
Quote: "OR if you're borrowing a friend's console, the check must be performed every 1 HOUR?"

that i'm fine with..

But 24 hours... eughthhhhh - if i had the "synch offline option" - like steam, it wouldnt be a problem

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 8th Jun 2013 00:23
@DBD79:

This is why Microsoft say they need an internet connection.

Quote: "Microsoft says that this internet connection will allow developers to create ‘massive games in the cloud’, which was one of the big features touted at the launch event. This means that large sections of some games may require a cloud connection to operate as planned. The Xbox One will always be running in a ‘low power’ state in order to automatically download updates when you’re away."

I see why it could be considered cool, but "cloud gaming" is ridiculously unreliable. It's far too soon for any such technology to be utilized yet, unless everyone had a Google Fiber connection.

It's really, really stupid.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2013 00:27
Ya, it's all marketing! 'Hey, buy our stuff, it uses the cloud!' They don't tell you how immature the technology is however.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2013 00:35
obviously - but srsly, I would buy it - if it were optional / not enforced, I want to synch my games with offline, of the console aint worth shoe.

heck - if Steam wouldnt allow me to do that, i'd be quite pissed.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2013 01:20
My confusion here is how unclear it all is. I know that once the Xbox One games are installed you no longer need the disc to play, and part of the 24 hour check is because of that.

The part I'm unclear about is this: No internet for 24 hours and games stop working, ok. But if I have the disc in the drive will the game still work as this proves I haven't sold it/lent it to someone... If they still won't work even with the disc in the drive then I won't be buying a Xbox One. My internet connection isn't always reliable and have gone without internet for longer than 24 hours on quite a few occasions. If the games will still play as long as the disc is in the drive then I don't care.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2013 02:16
As I've mentioned before, required internet to play single player game will remove my sale, even though non-internet enabled players like me are probably a minority.

It has to be said that this generation will likely be the longest transition yet, as I know so many people who will still be playing the current gen, and that so many games are still coming out on these consoles.

Even if the Always Online thing isn't as bad as it sounds, the hype that surrounds it especially now it's confirmed will be worse. People don't get to own an Xbox before they buy it, they just look into what other people think about things before buying.

...And if Google is choked with negative opinions on stuff the moment someone looks into it, then heck, they'll probably stay away. This is a pretty bad thing for PR. Apple, for all the debate on ethics and value of their products, have a euphoric miasma of positive PR for things like iPads and such as they launch. NO matter how long people spend berating the iPhone 5, I guarantee that the iPhone 6 will still get people excited. They just know PR.

But honestly, what demographic are MS trying to aim for here? I think the biggest problem is they're building systems to create then fill a need, but they're lacking Apple's finesse that's required to make their new toy the new must have.

(Just gunna clarify that I have never owned an Apple product and have no plans to. However, I simply have to respect their marketing, if nothing else.)
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2013 04:48
Quote: "It will take away the impulse purchases when you see a cheap game for sale."

You obviously don't have a steam account.

The difficulty in learning is not acquiring new knowledge but relinquishing the old.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2013 18:09
Quote: "You obviously don't have a steam account."

No, I'm a console gamer. I don't want to have to upgrade my device every time a new game comes out.

This is my current project, check it out! [href]forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=204576&b=8[/href]
This is my website, check it out! [href]http:\\www.TeamDefiant.co.uk[/href]
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2013 19:52
Quote: "I don't want to have to upgrade my device every time a new game comes out."

I want to tell you a secret... that rumour is a lie shh...

«Just because you’re unique, doesn’t mean you’re useful»
«If you contributed to the reason for locking, you may now find yourself on moderation, or in extreme cases in the grave»
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 02:03
My rig from '06 still plays most games at Medium settings. Only the bleeding-edge highest settings need constant upgrades.

Plus it's a numbers game for some people.
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 02:50
My CPU is 4 years old and I want to upgrade it just to play with max graphic settings some hi-end games which looks better than on consoles. It's a stupid myth for a long time already that you need to buy new PC every year.

Consoles could offer only "plug-and-play" for casual people and children, and some exclusive games for geeks.

«If you contributed to the reason for locking, you may now find yourself on moderation, or in extreme cases in the grave»
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 02:51
my computer is 2 years old and can play most games on high- highest ; )

sadly.. not on the highest - and my GPX card bugs out wiht DX11 for some really odd reason

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
My computer is 4 years old, doesn't meet Quik's gaming PC standards , and it can still play the new Tomb Raider on Ultra. (That is without the fancy hair)

They see me coding, they hating. http://indi-indicium.blogspot.co.uk/
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 18:36
what kind of super computers did u guys buy 4 years ago? XD

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Well to be fair I only bought my graphics card two years ago, but that was because I was running integrated graphics before that, so I don't count that as an upgrade! I wasn't playing very demanding games for two years - still played Xbox.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 22:40
Well looks like I'm not buying Xbox One. I never play with a connection because I can't. Stupidest most ridiculous crap I've ever heard. I hope Xbox One burns in hell and Microsoft takes the biggest loss imaginable off of this. There is no reason to have to be connected online every day whatsoever. Shame on you Microsoft. I know for many people it doesn't mean anything, but for a lot of us, it's more than just a deal breaker in itself.

Words cannot describe my Greatness... But I'll give it a shot.

I am awesome....... Yeah, that works.
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I hope Xbox One burns in hell and Microsoft takes the biggest loss imaginable off of this."

Bit harsh, if you don't like it just don't buy it.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 23:03
Microsoft announces on sale date for Xbox One console

Quote: "The new console will go on sale in November this year, with a recommended retail price of £429 in the UK, $499 in the US and 499 euros."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22848625

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 23:04
perfectly reasonable price ^^

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 23:06 Edited at: 10th Jun 2013 23:11
Quote: "Bit harsh, if you don't like it just don't buy it."

Yes I of course won't buy it. But that's not the point. I WANTED Xbox One badly. I have been an avid Xbox Lover since the original came out. I was extremely excited about it but now there is absolutely no way I could ever play it. MS is a greedy shady monopolized monster that now deserves to be taken over by a company that actually cares about their customers. Or just a company who doesn't suck. They knew they would get backlash like this when they announced the DRM crap because every single game ever has been lashed at with DRM. I have nothing against Sony but I simply don't like Playstation. The controllers feel horribly awkward in my hand and the exclusives on Xbox have always been far more suited towards my love for gaming. Halo 1 is the ENTIRE reason I became addicted to videogames and I've loved every single one that has come out and I was looking forward to the next. But my hopes and dreams have been crushed.

Quote: "$499 in the US"

Good God!!!!!!!!!!! Why the hell would anyone with any sense buy this thing?! For everything that it does, yes the price is reasonable... But a lot of us just want a damn gaming console. That's it. We all already have PCs and TVs that do everything else the Xbox One is trying to do. Just go buy a brand new gaming computer! I've never been pro PC gaming but now there is no reason whatsoever not to be.

If people love this thing, more power to them, to each their own and I hope they get their enjoyment out of it. But for me, I couldn't possibly be more frustrated about it than I am.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 23:18
The price is reasonable considering that's basicly what last gen consoles costed at launch ._.'

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 23:21
Quote: "The price is reasonable considering that's basicly what last gen consoles costed at launch ._.'"

Is that what they launched at? Thought they were $399. I do agree that's it's reasonable given what it does, I just don't think the entire Xbox One itself is reasonable.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 23:27
even if it were 399 - considering inflation and the fact that they are probably more expensive to make - it's very much fine.

we both agree that the console isnt reasonable

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 00:27
I've already started saving up. By the time it releases I'll have enough to buy the console and a bunch of games, and still have enough left over for hot pockets and adult diapers! lol

I hate the required online connectivity, and the inability to buy 2nd hand games, but I'll still get this console on release day as will millions of other gamers.

I'm especially eager for Forza 5's ability to learn how you race, and upload it to the cloud to be used as AI in other peoples races. As a gamer, I'm very excited about the next generation of games.

This is my current project, check it out! [href]forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=204576&b=8[/href]
This is my website, check it out! [href]http:\\www.TeamDefiant.co.uk[/href]
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 02:21
$680 in Soviet Russia. +games for $80. Yeah. I smell something, and it doesn't smell good.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 07:05
I don't understand the backlash when it comes to the Xbox One not focusing entirely on games. The console market is sort of tanking, and Microsoft is trying to open the console up to replace other electronics and hopefully find a means to stay afloat.

It seems to me that most fanboys in comment sections are like ITS SUPPOSED TO BE ONLY VIDEO GAMES AND NOTHING ELSE MICROSOFT OR OUR RELATIONSHIP IS OVER </3

I for one very much liked the move towards a home center kind of thing. I think its progressive and kinda cool in a "look how many things this can do" way. Also it gives my girlfriend a reason to allow it to clutter up under the TV.

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "$680 in Soviet Russia."

Wow, they have a time machine, too?

"I <3 u 2 bbz" - Dark Frager
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 08:32
Quote: "I don't understand the backlash when it comes to the Xbox One not focusing entirely on games. The console market is sort of tanking, and Microsoft is trying to open the console up to replace other electronics and hopefully find a means to stay afloat. "

It's probably more of the fact that Microsoft is taking away the used game market and thus the sense of ownership of their games and their console rather than the new features. I personally think the TV through your Xbox thing is dumb, but that's because I already have a cable box. The new Kinect is cool except for the always-on bit, and the price is reasonable though the PS4 beat it by $100($399 for the PS4).

I think I'll stick with Sony this console generation if I get one of these at all.

WTLD has been put on indefinite hold.
A new project is under initial development now.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 09:42
Quote: "I don't understand the backlash when it comes to the Xbox One not focusing entirely on games. The console market is sort of tanking, and Microsoft is trying to open the console up to replace other electronics and hopefully find a means to stay afloat. "

personally - i dont mind that, i think it's a great move, really I do

It's just.. EVERYTHING ELSE that's useless

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 10:11 Edited at: 11th Jun 2013 10:12
I thought some of the xbox one games were pretty solid. I'm sad that the superbrothers game Beneath is an xbox one exclusive though. Dead rising 3 seems sweet, and titanfall and sunset overdrive look like a bunch o' fun.

Not a chance that I'll buy an xbox one or a ps4 in the near future though. Maybe a ps3 if I can find one for cheap; I have books to buy, and if I buy anything big it's going to be a workstation card or a 3d printer.

"I <3 u 2 bbz" - Dark Frager
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 10:16
Dead Rising 3 seems like an average zombie shootemup though.. or smackemup - the fun stuf about dead rising 2 seems... gone

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 12:11 Edited at: 11th Jun 2013 12:11
Did anyone watch E3? I didn't have time because of exams.

TheComet

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, but Today is a Gift. That is why it is called "present".
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 12:28
E3 havent really started yet ^^

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 12:33
Oh, ok. See, I don't even know when it is xD

TheComet

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, but Today is a Gift. That is why it is called "present".
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 12:35
there's been what Gamespot calls "Pre E3 conferences" ... E3 starts in like 9 hours

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 14:02 Edited at: 12th Jun 2013 03:18
Did anyone watch E3? I didn't have time because of exams.

Benjamin

[edit] Oops, thought this was the posting competition thread!

"Sideboobs are awesome. Getting punched in the face is not." - Jerico2Day on violence and nudity
ionstream
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 19:08
@TheComet: Nowadays it is fairly common to have internet access reach a TV in order for streaming devices like the Roku, Apple TV, any Smart TV, and multiplayer games like the Wii U. If you really don't want any of those things then I guess yeah, the Xbox One isn't for you. If you do, then you're a smart guy, I'm sure you can figure out some way to boost or repeat or bridge the Wifi signal.

I am looking forward to the games the PS4 has to offer, since it seems like it has the best lineup so far. Though I am a Nintendo fanboy at heart, having a blast with Animal Crossing New leaf, and looking forward to the Zelda 3DS game and that Luigi & Mario Dream Team game. Should be good!

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2013 03:23
I think for some people it's about principles. I personally don't want to be globally connected 24/7 when playing a single player game on a recreational device that simply doesn't need it, it'd feel strange. It's annoying enough having to be permanently connected on Steam.

Also I'm against their restrictions on second-hand games; sucks.

"Sideboobs are awesome. Getting punched in the face is not." - Jerico2Day on violence and nudity
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2013 03:25
Quote: "It's annoying enough having to be permanently connected on Steam."

But you don't have to >_>

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 12th Jun 2013 05:47
Yeah, Steam has "Offline Mode". As far as I know, they've always had it. Nothing always-online about it.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2013 06:22 Edited at: 12th Jun 2013 06:23
Quote: "Yeah, Steam has "Offline Mode"."

True, but I'm pretty sure in the past you had to at least be online to begin with, otherwise you couldn't start in offline mode. That might have just been yet another bug though.

Who knows, maybe the xbox one will have an offline mode?

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2013 08:27 Edited at: 12th Jun 2013 08:28
Don't want 24 hour recurring online DRM checks on the XBox One ? Too bad, we already made a console for you, it's called the XBox 360.

SPECS: Intel Corei7 3770k, Nvidia GTX680, 16GB RAM, Win7 Pro
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2013 09:26
Quote: "True, but I'm pretty sure in the past you had to at least be online to begin with, otherwise you couldn't start in offline mode. That might have just been yet another bug though."

You have to be online atleast once to install any game...

you have to be online - "synch" the games, and restart steam

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2013 12:29
Wow, I can't quite believe he said that. Microsoft are actually telling people not to buy the XBone now? So the options are stick with an 8 year old machine or buy a PS4? What the hell are MS doing!? They're not just bumbling now, they're actively trying to make this console fail.

The difficulty in learning is not acquiring new knowledge but relinquishing the old.
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2013 14:10
AFAIK (by respective sources) M$ mostly gets their money from selling Win's and Office's, Xbox is not profitable. So if One will fail M$ won't get hurt.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2013 14:29
Hey Inspire, long time no see

Quote: "It seems to me that most fanboys in comment sections are like ITS SUPPOSED TO BE ONLY VIDEO GAMES AND NOTHING ELSE MICROSOFT OR OUR RELATIONSHIP IS OVER </3"

Well, here in Australia at least, none of that other stuff will work so it IS just a games console. A games console that won't let you play games if you're not online once a day. The fact that it still won't play even with the disc in the drive is the killer for me. I was willing to overlook everything except that.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2013 14:43
Word on that thraxas! Word on that! I don't mind the other functions, sure the kinect and listening device is a bugbear, but ... online once a day is indeed the killer - heck i even appreciate the social stuff put on it

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 09:16:24
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 09:16:24