Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Xbox One

Author
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 18:07
Quote: "Oh boy, you might need to see a doctor about that!"

Already made an appointment.

-Keith

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 18:14
Quote: "And with those words I'll buy it tomorrow!"

do not take it too literarily though! ^^ I'm saying that as a subjective feeling, you should probably research it a bit more than my words x)

I too love oot, but - i enjoyed MM and like windwaker aswell, never managed to finish TP - but thats mostly because of my inability to finish games

Just saying - i dont want you to be disappointed because I might have praised a game too highly ^^

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 20:37
I loved Windwaker, put many hours into it, but somebody wrote over my save and I never completed it.

I was never big on Zelda, the main loves for me were the Gameboy versions.

Anyway I think MS has hurt their publicity, but I don't think it reflects badly on them. Yes they made a bad decision but the damage is purely imaginary, it's not like BP and they managed to summon Cthulhu and bringing about a thousand years of darkness, granted Cthulu did kill the Beiber (South Park lovers will understand what I'm saying).

Heck despite the oil incident of BP people are still buying their oil and their mistake had far worse consequences. So I don't get the reaction.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 21:00
Quote: "Twilight princess is actually good though"

Indeed!!!

«Just because you’re unique, doesn’t mean you’re useful»
«If you contributed to the reason for locking, you may now find yourself on moderation, or in extreme cases in the grave»
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 22:17
Quote: "The problem is, the "teddy flinger" half on the internet has already removed the XBox1 from their minds and will not even consider it now out of some kind of misplaced "nerd justice!" lol"

Much of what you say is true and Microsoft is far from dead and the XBox One will probably do OK.

I don't agree with the "nerd justice" comment, the way they have acted has really taken them down in my estimations, I can't help that, they did it. Maybe one day I will own an XBox One but it would take something special to make me want one.

I am still highly sceptical of all the TV stuff they have integrated into it, I'm not even sure it will work with my setup at home and even if it does I already have a TV box. This was my initial concern and it still stands, all the other issues have not helped at all, but it's good they have listened.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2013 13:33
Quote: "I am still highly sceptical of all the TV stuff they have integrated into it"

I don't want it. My xbox will be in my gaming room which has no TV feed. I just want a good console to play great games on, and occasionally watch videos on. I can understand Microsoft wanting to take over the livingroom, but the console is too expensive for casual gamers and too unfocussed for hardcore gamers.

But like I said, I do like the XBox1, I like the way it's been shown to work, and I want to play games on it.

This is my current project, check it out! [href]forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=204576&b=8[/href]
This is my website, check it out! [href]http:\\www.TeamDefiant.co.uk[/href]
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2013 13:59
I honestly dont mind the TV stuff at all

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2013 22:59
Quote: "The damage is done because they now have to undo all the negative publicity"

Yes I completely understand that they have gained a ton of horrible publicity but thats also my point... Why do they still have so much bad publicity when they already listened to the consumers and fixed everything about the Xbone. I completely get it how mad people were, I was probably more frustrated than just about anyone else. But the issues were fixed and most importantly l, the issues were fixed BEFORE they even technically happened. IMO that should be enough. But that's just me.

I really think people should stop complaining about Xbone and how MS is a joke. All this nonsense about people saying the damage is already done because "maybe seven years from now they will try this on the next console," is absolute rubbish. Absolute rubbish. First off, it didn't work now so they aren't going to do it again. Second off, what on earth does the next-next-gen have anything to do with buying one of the next-gen consoles? Lol. Who even cares if MS will be stupid enough to try again later? I don't... Right now that is... I will care if they ever do. But that's neither here nor there as its absolutely NOTHING to do with the Xbox One here and now. And people not seeing that, IMO, are being extremely close minded and stubborn. But that's just me i could be wrong. I certainly don't blame people for being skeptical about the Xbone and thinking maybe MS is going to try some shenanigans, but I just don't see it happening.

Words cannot describe my Greatness... But I'll give it a shot.

I am awesome....... Yeah, that works.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 00:28
Again, I feel the damage is done because it took so much negative outrage from fans for them to reverse it. A Herculean amount...

During all this, they basically took the view that anyone who didn't like it was too poor, backward and stupid to reach the zenith of technological understanding this game console would supposedly be, and still could be.

They also threw their toys out of the pram and apparently have nulled the Game Sharing ability, too.

That said, I don't know how many strings game publishers are pulling to get all this through behind the scenes.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 00:33 Edited at: 24th Jun 2013 00:37
Once people have made their opinion they are quite stubborn to change it, but it's a while until the consoles are released so everyone will probably have forgotten all about it by then.

I'm glad that MS reverted their decision but I don't think it has much to do with public backlash at all. They knew they were screwing over millions of people with the region restrictions and always-on, but they didn't care, they thought they'd still make the money up elsewhere, and it's only now that it doesn't look like they'll make enough that they change their minds.

I really don't understand the philosophy of corporations like MSoft. What is this obsession with squeezing your consumers as tightly as possible to get a few extra pennies out of them? Don't they see that they are destroying the entire community that they built and will lose more than they stand to gain?
Like I said before, they don't seem to realise that this is a luxury item and people don't NEED an xbox. They push and push just to see what they can get away with like a naughty kid. Grow up MSoft and behave or you wont get any sweeties at all!

The difficulty in learning is not acquiring new knowledge but relinquishing the old.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 00:36 Edited at: 24th Jun 2013 00:50
Quote: "Second off, what on earth does the next-next-gen have anything to do with buying one of the next-gen consoles?"

This is my point. If it's to boycott anything Microsoft might do, then I don't see why other MS products aren't being boycotted. If it's to send a message that MS have done something wrong, then they've already got the message, they admitted they were wrong and listened to what people wanted.

I just get the feeling rather than taking some kind of moral stance or to send some kind of message it's more of a grudge. If MS does this again, we'll cross that bridge when we get there and perhaps even boycott the offending product. The only damage the XBox One did was to its reputation and perhaps offend some people. But I see it as no reason to hold a grudge. People make mistakes and unintentially offend people all of the time. I'm pretty sure MS attitude wasn't "screw the military", but of course I can see why people of a military background might feel snubbed.

But boycotting the XBox One seems about as useful as boycotting Windows, Microsoft Office, Windows Phone or the XBox 360, which makes sense if you're boycotting MS as a company, but none if you're boycotting the restrictive features of the XBox One, because it hasn't happened.

Quote: "Again, I feel the damage is done because it took so much negative outrage from fans for them to reverse it. A Herculean amount..."

I wouldn't expect a business to change their position over night because it annoyed many fans. I think it makes sense for them to not to cave in at people's initial reactions, people are frequently closed minded but can learn to like things once they start to look at things from a different perspective and accept change. Perhaps the people would come to see it different once it had been left to stew. If MS's motivation was to support the developers, it wouldn't say much about their integrity if they backed down at the first sight of disapproval.

As an MMO gamer, when a developer releases big changes in a game (heck, even small ones), it often results in a lot of rage, because people are angry they've messed with a working system, some may rage quit, others may vent directly in that game's forums, but once they start using it they actually find that "hey this is no as bad as I thought" or "well, maybe these were sensible changes after all". People generally react bad to change and this is how I might have seen it if I was on the other side of the fence.

Remember when people had a bad reaction to DRM on PC games and this put companies like EA in a really bad light, but it has improved and people have learned to accept it. DRM is there to help protect developers after all. I hate it myself, but there are DRMs that work and I can get along with, most notably, Steam.

This probably wasn't going to be the case for the XBox One, but that's probably why they've changed it.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 01:31
Quote: "I wouldn't expect a business to change their position over night because it annoyed many fans. "

Eeeexcept they've done the same thing with W8. Will I don't mind Metro, they're kinda forcing it on people who want W8, same as they were forcing things on XBone's potential customers. The only problem I had was making internet mandatory, because then I'd be buying a brick unless the wi-fi antenna is significantly better than the 360's, (which it likely will be.)

Quote: "Remember when people had a bad reaction to DRM on PC games and this put companies like EA in a really bad light"

I think people do this because they have to. If you wanna play ME3 on PC in order to swap out Tali's model for Grunt's and film some comical romance scenes on youTube, you have little choice but to yield to EA's DRM. Origin isn't exactly slapping Steam aside or even making a dent, is it? Steam has DRM, sure, but it's not the only option for buying most of the games on there. Origin for EA, is.

Anyway, I'll probably look into it in the future, but right now I'm also considering just building a new PC and seeing what I could get for my money from that. Sadly the Exclusives culture still seesm to be all the rage. I have immense respect for Destiny's multi-platform model of everyone playing anyone on any console.

Isn't that a better way to make money? Own the rights to the game, sells craploads. Last generation there were tonnes of exclusives intended to sell the consoles, but those consoles sold at a loss for years into the cycle. It doesn't actually make a lot of sense to me in hindsight, but then I was 12 when the 360 rolled out.

Jesus I feel old.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 03:19
Quote: "I was 12 when the 360 rolled out... Jesus I feel old."

I was 12 when the PS2 rolled out... Jesus I feel old.

Who's next?

The difficulty in learning is not acquiring new knowledge but relinquishing the old.
Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 03:27
Quote: " I was 12 when the PS2 rolled out... Jesus I feel old."

I was 84 when the Commodore 64 rolled out... Jesus I feel old.

Yes, I live in Wisconsin. No, I don't live on a farm.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 08:17
I was 7 when then PS2 rolled out... and I was 12 when the 360 came out ^^

buut then i never bought a PS2...

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 14:39 Edited at: 24th Jun 2013 18:06
That's why PS4 is better:

REMOVED; you know better.

«If you contributed to the reason for locking, you may now find yourself on moderation, or in extreme cases in the grave»
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 16:09
aaaaaand that was the most immature and silly picture i've seen today.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 23:42
Quote: "REMOVED; you know better."

That was PS4 Gamepad in the pants -- for those who'd be interested at what it was.

Aviso
Years of Service
User Offline
Better than xbox one http://www.anandtech.com/show/7103/nvidia-geforce-gtx-760-review

<a href="http://www.hackscheats.net/">cheats</a>
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 26th Jun 2013 18:13
I would love to get a GTX 760!

But my $400 is reserved for Ps4.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2013 22:10
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/7595-E3-2013

LANGUAGE WARNING

This video gave me a few laughs when I watched it after I read this thread.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2013 18:42
I haven't read through this entire thread because it's very long, but it was mentioned in July's newsletter so I thought I'd take a look.

Well, when the Xbox One was first announced, I was like, "Oh wow, this is soooo disappointing...." Our internet here would prevent us being online the whole time and I really didn't like the whole new-age always-online always-connected philosophy. Most people still aren't ready for that yet, and most broadband isn't either. At this point I was completely disappointed, but not in the least surprised, because I had prepared myself for Microsoft's normal idiocy. So I planned on buying a PS4 (which would mean I'd miss out on future Halo games).

Then, just recently (as you all know I'm sure), MS announced that you no longer need to be online unnecessarily any more! You can imagine how happy I was.....but also how suspicious I was. I was still expecting more clarifying news to emerge any day and say that no, that's actually not what MS meant, and we still need to connect every day. But much to my surprise it hasn't.

So as my mind slowly started to realise that, yes, this really was going to be the next 360, I started to get excited. Very slowly at first, because I was sure I was going to remember that there was something that would once again ruin it for me, but I went over the facts again and again and there was nothing wrong. Nothing. Discs were an actual copy of the game now, and not just a license on loan, and I could simply walk into EB Games, pick up a copy of Assassin's Creed IV, go home, pop it in my XBone disc drive and play immediately. Except that a) I believe you have to install every game, even disc-based games, onto the harddrive first, so it's not quite immediately - but I'm totally 100% ok with that cuz I'm a PC gamer at heart and PC games can take hours to install, and b) I'm a PC gamer at heart and would probably never buy AC4 on console

There's a big long ramble for you. No point to it, just thought I share my thoughts and feelings about the Xbox One. Oh, and by the way, I've grown to like the name. Well, except for the short version (XBone); I'm still learning to use that in conversation and not cringe

So overall I'm now very excited about the Xbox One and can't wait to buy one

Clonkex

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2013 02:22
Don Mattrick, President of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business has apparently left the company.

Worth pointing out that he was overseeing the XBone's development as the top man. Along with Adam Orth, we may be seeing a few more people curiously jumping ship in the mean time.
Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2013 03:08
I like how he went to Zynga.

Yes, I live in Wisconsin. No, I don't live on a farm.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2013 03:42
Quote: "I like how he went to Zynga."

Euh, did he go to Zynga or has that company become so vile it's started biologically absorbing all the evil in the industry?
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2013 00:47
Quote: "we may be seeing a few more people curiously jumping ship in the mean time."

I read it was likely due to a larger Microsoft restructuring. These guys saw opportunities and took them (or saw that their time was running out), I doubt it's a response to the 'consumer backlash' the Xbox One initially faced.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2013 22:30
Gamers to pay for key Xbox One features

Quote: "Key features of Microsoft's Xbox One console, which is expected to go on sale in November, will only be available with an annual subscription. The requirement covers recording and sharing of gameplay videos, making Skype video calls and using a service that finds gaming opponents. An Xbox Live Gold account that currently costs $60 (£40) will be needed for all these features."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23613754

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 8th Aug 2013 22:41
I may still buy an XBOX ONE, as I want to develop with the Kinect 2, of course only when it gets an open API kit the console will just be a bonus... not a console gamer though... but some relax time could never hurt...

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2013 00:17 Edited at: 9th Aug 2013 00:17
Quote: "Gamers to pay for key Xbox One features"

But we already have to pay to use online features already. All we'll need is Xbox live gold, which we already need.

No change there, and it was expected.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2013 00:58
Anyone suspect GTAV is secretly coming to XBone and PS4 pretty soon after the consoles are released, perhaps early next year?

Had a quick google and could not find official answers, just speculation.

I do suspect it will be released pretty quick, but they are keeping quiet to not harm current gen sales, leading to many people perhaps getting GTAV twice

I am pretty patient and I may wait for official news on next gen GTAV before making a decision to buy on PS3 or not.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2013 23:17
I plan to have finished GTA V before the One comes out. But will still play 360 games anyway.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2013 22:19
Who am I kidding, I will be getting GTAV on current gen, it's too big to miss out on. Like you Mobiius, I'll probably finish it before next gen consoles come out.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 14:40
Quote: "Microsoft is offering free Xbox One development kits to approved video games makers to encourage small teams to make titles for its forthcoming console."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23765453

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2013 10:09
Quote: "Who am I kidding, I will be getting GTAV on current gen, it's too big to miss out on. Like you Mobiius, I'll probably finish it before next gen consoles come out."

I'm waiting for the blasted thing to come out on PC. Of course, I'm also kinda hoping I'll have released a secret project I'm working on and made enough money to buy a monster PC before then, but if not, I might have to take the plunge and buy it for the 360.

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2013 22:52
I didn't see a lot to move me to buy an Xbox one, the new features seemed somewhat underwhelming. Then I found out that to play The elder scrolls online will require an Xbox one... by the balls I tells ya, by the balls kicking and screaming.

Burn retina, burn!
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 03:38
It's not the new features as such that makes the Xbone awesome. It's the new hardware (as with the PS3). It's finally next-gen console gaming

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 04:02 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2013 04:04
Quote: "next-gen"

I despise that phrase. Propaganda I say!

Nothing to do with your post Clonkex; just in general, I think that phrase is a load of #insert word here#.

Next gen today, not quite as good quality as todays PCs. Next generation consoles! Be up to date for a year; then its current gen.

They cook up these terms to build up hype.

Please be assured that this is a sarcastic occurance of biological nature, I did not mean it; for real I am looking forward to watching people play their next-gen consoles

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 04:48
Quote: "Next gen today, not quite as good quality as todays PCs. Next generation consoles! Be up to date for a year; then its current gen."

My PC in it's current state will outperform an xbone lol.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 07:08
I have a GTX 480 Next-Gen Consoles can just kneel down and die...

I do however plan to buy an XBONE... has more value for me...

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 14:28
Quote: "I do however plan to buy an XBONE... has more value for me..."

Besides the exclusives, what?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 14:48
I believe each unit acts and is usable as a development unit... also nice sig you got there

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 23:08
Quote: "Next gen today, not quite as good quality as todays PCs. Next generation consoles! Be up to date for a year; then its current gen."

"Next-Gen", just reminds me that there's a bloody long time between console releases!

Formerly OBese87.
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 02:07
Quote: "I'm waiting for the blasted thing to come out on PC. "

This. Once (if) GTA V comes out for PC, I'll no longer need any new games. I can just play games inside my game.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 09:25
Quote: "This. Once (if) GTA V comes out for PC, I'll no longer need any new games. I can just play games inside my game."

Haha yeah

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 10:29
Quote: "This. Once (if) GTA V comes out for PC, I'll no longer need any new games. I can just play games inside my game."

Also I am sure that GTA V will be better on PC.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 14:51
Quote: "Also I am sure that GTA V will be better on PC."

As long as they've planned ahead (which I believe they have) and the controls all work well on PC, definitely Since Max Payne and Red Dead Redemption, R* has been doing very good PC ports, so here's hoping for GTAV

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 15:56
Quote: "Red Dead Redemption ... PC ports"

Awkward!

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 17:20
Quote: "I believe each unit acts and is usable as a development unit... also nice sig you got there"

Same goes for the PC. That's not a feature exclusive to the xbone.

Quote: "As long as they've planned ahead (which I believe they have) and the controls all work well on PC"

Plug an xbox controller in!

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 17:40
Quote: "Plug an xbox controller in!"

It is near the impossible to find wireless module for xbox wireless gamepad! That's sound stupid but yes, you can buy wireless gamepad with no use for PC. So better to buy F710 than wired Xbox.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 17:58
You can buy wireless kit pads of the 360 Joypad for PC mind you...

regarding the development kit point... I know lol

I think this so called console war... Is a bit boring really... Why don't they... Oh yeah they already tried that and thanks to Sony we have a console war now... LOL

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 01:24:41
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 01:24:41