Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Pirates..well idk

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay. Will make the logo now. Also the hud preview I sent you was a transparent .png so you can mess around with it in DBP until you can decide how we can get it to work the way you described in your email.

Have a heart and join my message board.And now my messageboards work again!Woot!
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline

It's teh logo.

Have a heart and join my message board.And now my messageboards work again!Woot!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2005 11:04
cool, looks awesome! thanks!

Video games…they can take you places unreachable, impossible, unfeasible. They put you in the book...they put you in the movie...they put you in a world, a world that before could only be imagined.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2005 11:06
The person looks good too, for the HUD

Video games…they can take you places unreachable, impossible, unfeasible. They put you in the book...they put you in the movie...they put you in a world, a world that before could only be imagined.
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, so will I need to make version with each part in a different color or have you figured out away to do it in DB?

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2005 12:03
no, i guess i could make a thread on this think we should?

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah I guess but I was thinking after certain damage you would hide the current sprite and reveal another sprite with a different color with the part that was injured change, problem is there are over 150 sprites for the hud alone, which isn't good...

So yeah go ahead.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2005 12:22
yeah thats what i was thinking, but like you said thatd be way to many sprites. Well ive got to go into the routine again, going to bed getting up, getting on here for 30 minutes, going to school for 7 hours, doing homework, making and playing games for 5 hours, and eating, then repeating it all over again (but not tommorrow cause its friday!) . So if u want i can make one in the morning or you could make one tonight, ill just find it.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2005 09:57
k, home for the weekend

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2005 08:37
hey, sry i havent been posting lately, i decided i needed a little break so i didnt do any game creating stuff this weekend , but this shouldnt change the release date for the first demo, ill start posting more tomorrow

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2005 07:03
hmmm names, it doesn't have to have pirates in the title, (cough monkey island) you could call it Carribean Sea Dogs or Dogs of the sea , or Scally wags

Can anyone tell me the theory of knowledge?
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
He already got the name Seppuku, didn't ya see the logo.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2005 12:02
k, sry it took me so long to post again. Busy day. So...we were at figuring out how to change the color of a sprite, without having to make a seperate sprite for each color. Would it be easier to just make the character using basic DBP 2D objects, then just change the color of those?

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
I have an idea! You could just make those areas transparent and just make a box under them runtime that you change the color of. It should work.

www.war3forums.net
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2005 21:57
k, thanks ill try that

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 22:51
hey just wanna say, i havent forgotten about the game, im working on it, just havent been posting, what do u think of Death Stalker's idea Anime Blood?

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
How would it be done?
Because 2d boxes don't have object numbers so I don't see how their colors would be changed...

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2005 06:49
have u ever used 2D stuff? I know that theres someway, i just forgot how, it was in my very first game, where if u pressed a key a "persons" (more like 3 boxes) clothes would change color. If I still had my old computer hooked up then i would look at it, but its on that one. You use ink rgb(red,blue,green),background color i think (color order may be mixed up), to change 2D object color. Then we would just give it a variable like color1=rgb(x,y,z) and say if damage=1 x=x+1 or whatever. I think we could just make the outline in whatever you made that other thing with. Oh and btw the logo looks great, but i figured out "Port Royal" is spelled "Port Royale".

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry. Good I idea, I guess it could work, I just wasn't sure about variables for color values, must be the fever going to my head, especiall since I've done it before.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2005 06:55
Quote: "Sorry. "

For what? Your just trying to help me .

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2005 06:58
O and a note id like to make, ill be gone skiing in Colorado from tomorrow after school for a whole week until the next Sunday afternoon/evening. If i had a laptop, i could work on programming and making stuff on the 14 hour drive *sigh*, but since i dont ill be doing a lot of designing. Just cause im gone doesnt mean i wont be working on it though, ill take my notebooks with me, and design a lot (obviously with that long a drive). So sry i wont be posting till then. Anime Blood, thanks for all the help ur giving me, and if you want you could try to get that UI part working.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I meant sorry for the spelling mistake.

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
Also, you could make plains and just texture them different colors.

www.war3forums.net
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2005 01:18 Edited at: 14th Mar 2005 01:40
Quote: " I meant sorry for the spelling mistake. "

o, lol, wondering what u were sorry for. Ok, im back, i did a lot of designing while i was gone probably 30+ hours. I was designing whenever we werent skiing or when i didnt feel guilty enough to refuse "%$#@@#(my real neam), will you play with me?" from my little cousins everytime i was around, hehe. I designed most of the Island, designed a system for AI Pathfinding, and did some floorplans, to name a few things i did. I have some problems but ill post them later.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome. Can't wait to see the island.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2005 05:21
k, im going to get geoscape 3d soon, within the next three days probably, so i can make the terrain, and milkshape so i can start the more complicated models i cant make in CShop 4.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2005 01:40
o, and i wanted to say that im not going to have time to test this game, so you, the players, will be the testers, ull just have to report the bugs (you dont have to of course), which i will fix for the next demos. I think ill be getting geoscape 3D today btw.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2005 04:50
just ordered geoscape

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2005 05:47
k, ive started AI programming tests, and im trying to get the distance from the AI to the objective point. I've made it to where it faces and moves toward the point, but using the distance formula, "sqrt((x-x)^2+(z-z)^2)", how do u do squared? in DBP? i just thought of something while i was typing that, would i use ^ to the x power? it gives me some error about "the variable " name could not exist" or something, but name is not a variable, so idk whats wrong with that line, how would i find the distance from camera to object?

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2005 08:59
anyone?

Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2005 02:26
Quote: "sqrt((x-x)^2+(z-z)^2)"

It didnt crash on mine but Id still write it as
Quote: "sqrt(((x1-x2)^2)+((z1-z2)^2))"

or you can save speed by ommiting the Sqrt part...but i tend not to.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2005 07:02
k, cool, ill try that

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2005 11:37 Edited at: 18th Mar 2005 11:39
Sry for the lack of updates, im working on the terrain in geoscape right now, messing around with it, so i dont really have any new screens to show.

[EDIT] Also, i just bought "Morrowind: Elder Scrolls III" and its the awesomest game ive ever played! I was amazed to see how well it depicted how i wanted my game to be. The freedom, the huge world, the ability to interact with most everything! Its really cool!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2005 22:31
hmmm...well it seems like people have stopped looking at this, maybe ill have to come up with some new screens soon .

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I too love Morrowind, it wasn't as good as Daggerfall though...

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2005 06:47
never played daggerfall

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2005 12:33
Ive posted a screenshot of port royal made in geoscape. Please note that this is IN DEVELOPEMENT. Check the website, once again here: http://expage.com/piratesmainpage the link to the island screenshots takes you to it. Ill add more later. The island is not exactly like the one in "Pirates of the Carribean" but has many similar features such as the large hill/cliff type thing on the right side of the island(if your facing it) and the shape of the island. I made a rough contour map of the island a while ago so now im going of of that.

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
You only have 12 days! (can't wait for the demo, and I'll like it more if it comes out on schedule!)

www.war3forums.net
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2005 23:19
lol, i hate to break the news to you but its, MAY 30th, hehe, ill try to keep u entertained until then

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice job on the island so far.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 02:49
thanks , its looking even better now, ill post another screen today or tomorrow

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 03:44 Edited at: 20th Mar 2005 03:47
o, misread the post

The island looks like the crater off of maui But looks really good. This makes me actually think about buying geoscape

www.war3forums.net
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 04:05
hehe, thanks

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 04:17 Edited at: 20th Mar 2005 04:22
k, posted 2nd screenshot of port royal. Its really not that noticable of a change, unless you have obssesedly (sry on the spelling) disected the height of every area, and drawn height maps of it, lol. The one main change is that there is a raise area with a steep drop off to the mid-left (if ur looking at it). This is where the fort sits in the movie, which is a fairly important area, especially for those who choose to do a fighting profession. Notice the sharp, little rocks below the drop off of that cliff. This is where (if u remember every line of the movie like i do, lol) one of Comodor Norringtons "captains" or whatever says, "Sir, the rocks, its a miracle she missed them", when Comodor Norrington is going to jump in the water to save Elizabeth after she passes out and falls. (Yes im obessesed with the movie, partly because its awesome, and partly because ive "disected" it for my game, hehe). So like i said not much of a difference but little details. Enjoy!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 04:33
Ive been thinking about my framerate, it gets slower with every building i add, hehe, so i have to do something about it. I decided, since i dont want it to just appear after a certain distance (setting distance) and everything be blue far away, im going to implement a system. The system will only load the polys on screen, so if u look at a building from the outside, none of the things inside will be loaded, when you turn, everything you just saw thats not on ur screen will be deleted. Also if you are a certain difference away from something it will switch to "low poly" mode, where all the building is some faces textured. IE) In the church for the game there are about 20 windows (10 on each side). each window is made up of 6 boxes. Then you have about 20 benches, each made up of 5 boxes. This puts your poly count at 220, and this is without doors, the stairs, the floor, the crossbeams, and the bell. So you would probably have 250+ objects total. If you did a low poly thing you would just load a box textured with 10 windows on 2 sides, the door, the bell, and a roof. This would put your poly count for it at 2 objects, if u exclude the bell. See the dramatic change? of course when you got close it would switch again so you could go inside it. Well this would take months to implement, and be very hard, so for the first demo im just going to do a fog effect (like in morrowwind: elder scrolls III) where it just looks like things are coming out of the fog instead. So what do you think?

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
It could work, and it should work, and it would be tight if it did work, and it shouldn't take forever to make it work, so get to work!

www.war3forums.net

A.K.A Death Stalker
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 05:19
hehe, well ill work on that after the first demo, but i probably wont have time to do it before the first demo.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 08:22
ok, ive been thinking of starting a team for after the first demo is released to finish the game, which will be a lot, since the first game will only be about 1/10 of the real game. Do you think i should?

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I say start the team now and I'll find some way to join and help you out.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 22:45:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 22:45:34