Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / Project Luna - Updates

Author
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 11:19
welcome back man!

Regards,
RF

Reality Forgotten Dev Forums
In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 11:30
I have no idea...that has been the fun thing about the RC candidates...
For instance,when I run FPSC RC9 with a level I made previously I have to save it in RC9 before I do anything.
It saves the level and then freezes so I have to shut down FPSC and the map editor and fire FPSC up again.
Then the first level of the game I am working on doesn't work with RC9 (causing a system crash and a power off/power on reboot) and if I switch back to an earlier RC it won't load.
Since it's only like the fourth time I have built this level you can imagine how happy that makes me.
On the bright side I can pretty much appoximately remember how I built the level after four attempts so it won't be nearly as hard on the fifth try.
RC9 will run on my pc with soft lightmapping but not full lightmapping...but the results still look pretty.
The nice thing is if you load a level into anything from RC7 (I believe it is) on up and either save or test run and save the game any unused entities and/or segments get erased from the level library...something that a lot of forum members (including me) have wanted for a long time.
TGC is also going to release new RCs with DarkAI and DarkPhysics...
so maybe we can get some decent AI and some kickin' physics.
There are RCs 1 through 9 so you might look through the threads for those and read the posts.
I think everybody is using whatever RC works best for them at the moment.
If all else fails you can e-mail Lee and bug him about it...that's what I do.
You might also post your problem in the RC9 thread as well.
Maybe someone will know there what is wrong and how to fix it.

Quote: "The community seems to be moving along nicely. Seems a lot more... homely, I guess."

I couldn't ask for a better compliment.
If you remember what this place was like at the beginning of this year then you probably remember it was the place a lot of people avoided.
The FPSC mods,with assisstance from Rich and the other TGC mods, have done a lot to make this a friendly place.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 12:05 Edited at: 26th Dec 2006 08:20
Thanks for the advice, Fred, and thanks for the welcome, RF .

For the time being, I've reinstalled V1 and I'll work from there.

Oh, and Fred, you're perfectly right; the state of the boards is lightyears ahead of the Pre-Mod days of these boards--you and the rest of the FPSC mods deserve one heck of a thank you .

EDIT: Things are starting to look up for Episode I. I'm currently using 1.04 RC1 (after that worked, I was too worried to try a further RC and risk having it stop working again), and I'm extending Episode I's playtime dramatically by adding very little as far as space takes up, but adding objectives and such. It should at least double the length.

Because of the increased framerates due to 1.04, and the relatively easy additions to Episode I, it should be finished fairly soon. I'll be using the same testers, (provided you guys want to) and Butterfingers, you can test too if you wish . If anyone else wants a try, give me a buzz and I'll consider it .

Evil has a new name. Demo out now!
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 02:14
I'll test.
You can either post the link or you can send it to my e-mail.

DieRider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2006 07:06
i'd like to test if possible. Just incase, my email is
guywhodies@msn.com

2.2GHZ AMD AM2 Dual core 2GB DDR2 RAM, Sapphire ATI X1900GTO 20" 5ms monitor. 5.1 SS
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2006 08:38
That'll be fine DieRider.

I've successfully updated to RC6 without problems, though after adding very little to the level, the framerate has become a bit of a hit and miss. I'll be doing some optimisations, but the test build should be released soon. I'll be in contact with you guys by e-mail as soon as it's ready.

Gamz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2006 15:22
Welcome home Jiffy. Glad your friends fine, were you playing Texas hold 'em by any chance? Because I've lost a heck alot of money on that... Nice to see your determined to finish PL.

I am a manifestation of your subconscious.
creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2006 18:10
Good to have you back Jiffy.Good luck with project Luna

I shall send you a email regarding your request

Demon sun. coming 2007

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2007 00:29 Edited at: 6th Jan 2007 00:33
Hey guys. Sorry for the lapse in communication but rest assured Project Luna is moving along fine.

That said, considering all the previous RC issues, I'm considering simply waiting for the RC10 release before releasing the test build. Does this sound okay to you guys?

EDIT: Hm... it seems like the full release is already here! In that case, it shouldn't be long now .

creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2007 17:30
Hi Jiffy,
I have a question.How many episodes are you planning on making.

Thanks

Josh

ps- Did you get my email?

Demon sun. coming 2007

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2007 02:57
Josh,

Yes, I got your e-mail. Now that I've got RC10 it's simply a matter of getting a fair framerate (which shouldn't be too difficult) and then I can build and upload it.

As far as Episodes go, I've planned the story for about 8. Mind you, considering how long it's taken Episode I to be released... well, it could take a while. That said, so much has changed that things needed to be revised and since I'm already three-quaters of the way through Episode II already and a quater of the way through Episode III, it shouldn't take all that long.

creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2007 22:15
Good luck Jiffy> I can't wait for some screens

Desktop: A8N-SLI-SE motherboard,2GB kingston duel channel RAM,1GB of graphics memory (two Nvidia 6600 Turbo force ultra edition 512MB in SLI mode),5.1 sound card.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 04:57
Hey guys. Sorry for the lack of posting--FPSC is going a little out of order, to say the least. I can technically build the game, but only through V1. V1.04, when installed, strangly takes away the Title Screen, Global Script etc scripts, meaning I can't build the level that way. I can build the test build in V1 if you guys want, I just really didn't want to do that and have been doing all I can to get it to work.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 05:05
You might just want to wait.I am sure there will be another release of an FPSC update.
It can be difficult to decide which release to work with...if any,at this point.But there have just been too many advances to FPSC to build with v1 anymore.
You might look up the different upgrades and see if one of them might appeal more to you than 1.04.They all have different advantages.Although I am using v1.04 now RC6 is still the most stable upgrade I have used.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 08:33
Thanks for the advice, Fred.

The funny thing is that V1.04 had worked fine up until around the 8th or 9th, when something just happened, and the global script and such just sort of "disappeared". Shame too, because the new lighting system is fantastic.

I guess I'll give RC6 a shot.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 08:38
That's the funny thing about FPSC.For some reason it functions differently on almost everybody's pc.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 08:49 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2007 08:49
Jiffy, I do hope you made a backup of your levels, since you cannot open RC10 levels with RC6. It's too bad that FPSC only seems to work well on Lee's machine

You can also just wait for Lee to release 1.05, he's working on it. He was emailed lot's of bugs, so I do hope the next RC will finally be a stable one, so that you can release Project Luna!

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 08:46 Edited at: 25th Jan 2007 09:04
Hey guys! Well, needless to say I got 1.04 working. I have to say that the new lightmapper is the most amazing thing in FPSC, ever. I honestly can't get over how amazing you can get things looking. Well, I looked over my map and realised that generally speaking, the layout doesn't make any sense. And so, things are being redesigned (not overly, so don't worry about this taking too long) so that aesthetically, it looks right. It's getting longer and better, and while it may take a bit longer to get the labs looking good and completed (plenty more puzzles this time 'round), but it'll be worth it, believe me. There's more custom media this time, too (as you'll see with the screenshots), and I really do like how this is headed.

Anyway, here's something that doesn't happen very often: Screenshots! That's right, I've got screenshots of the new things, although some things I want to keep from you guys so you can see it for yourself when you play.

Earston Foyer
Hallway
Painting Room
Study Room

I know that this redesign means another delay before testing but this really was something that needed to be done, so I'm sure it'll be better in the end.

Anyway, I've discovered something that I never actually previously noticed--the horrific Storyzone crash bug is gone, meaning cutscenes are possible with multiple levels. Considering most episodes arn't really going to be all that long, I'm considering taking three individual levels and making them a single episode. All in all, that would make about 3 episodes in total. It basically means better download sizes (in total, anyway), and saving would actually have some merit.

I seriously need to apologize for this whole thing taking so long. Remember, though, that from this point onwards, things should stay smooth. I had already done most of the second and third levels so really, it shouldn't be too long. Plus, I'll release the first level by itself as well anyway, just because it's taken so long that I really need to release something substantial.

EDIT: By the way, FPSC obviously doesn't use textures that are bound to the .x file (as in ones that haven't been UV Mapped into a seperate file), but is there another way to get it to work like that? Funny thing is it sees the texture in the Entity Maker and the editor itself, but not in test game (and assumably built games as well).

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 10:27
Those are some pretty pictures.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 10:48
Thanks Fred .

I really want to show you guys some screenshots of the labs but I'm trying to stop myself since I want that area to be a bit of a surprise--I'll just tell you now that it is pretty radically different from the previous one . It's a lot longer too--not in a physical sense, but it is filled with some puzzles, I'll tell you that .

By the by, would any of you have an idea if there is a lexicon for the scripting commands that were added after V1?

creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 21:51
Those are some lovely screenshots Jiffy. I wish I was that good!!

Keep up the AMAZING work

Josh

ps- I need to speak to you on MSN sometime.I have some questions to ask about project Luna

Demon Sun.Coming 2007. Mature gamers Only!!

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2007 09:58
Hey guys! I'm hugely sorry for the lack of contact, my video card stopped working so I needed to buy a replacement which took a fair while.

Needless to say, I've got it working and things are back on track. I'm still working on things but soon enough I hope to give you guys something to see!

stevenup 7002
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2007 14:30
Just out of curiosity and BUMPiosity.. What new card did you get?

Co-Founder, President, CEO and Head Programmer of Motron Software. http://www.motronsoftware.com
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2007 01:49 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2007 01:51
Hey, sorry for my ridiculously long delay in reply. My schedule's been busy and looking at it from outside I'm really starting to worry this is beginning to look like vaporware or something.

Nonetheless, I'm still working on it. I think my biggest problem is switching between all of my little "projects"--writing, making Project Luna, doing photography, etc and because of that, this sort of delay tends to happen.

Either way, I'm making a new trailer and it's getting near completion. I'm also in the process of redoing all of the cutscenes for the new layout and eventually I will actually have something done.

Anyway, Stevenup, the new card is an Nvidia 7900. I would've loved to splurge and get an 8800 but I don't exactly have $600 spare .

Hopefully the trailer will be done soon so all of you guys following Project Luna in the relative darkness will have something more to see.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2007 13:50
If you would like some good news since DarkBasicPro is 50% off this month several of the forum members purchased it and as soon as the next FPSC source code is released we can hack the devil out of it.
Once the "final" source code is released for FPSC then the community can mod it and make their own updates.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2007 22:57
Oh wow!

I didn't know about DBP being 50% off. I always contemplated buying it so I guess I'll have to have a serious think about it .

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2007 23:07
Check out this month's newsletter.The details are in there.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2007 09:25
Thanks Fred. The newsletter was great! Anyway, I won't have much time to work on Project Luna during the next week as I'm hiking along the coast from Monday to Friday. I'll see you guys when I get back!

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 14:06
Well, it's done.

That's right.

After an absurdly long time, the absolute final revision of Level 1 is done. There will be no more revisions, because I seriously need to learn that sometimes, focusing on making one thing as good as it can be before moving on just plain isn't a good idea.

One thing to remember is that Level 1 (The Eanston Estate) is no longer the singular component of Episode I and so E1 will not be released for a fair while. Rest assured the next two levels that make up E1 will not take anywhere near as long as the ridiculously long time the final version took to be completed.

Either way, the level is being built now. After that is done, I will upload it (probably to that BaDonGo site I used last time because I've lost all faith in FileFront) and then send out e-mails to all those who asked to test it. And Butterfingers, if you still want to test please go ahead and either e-mail me or tell me on here. You've done some amazing work with FPSC and I'd love any input you could give me.

And Fred, do you think you'll be able to download the test? Although the level isn't built yet I guarentee it'll be quite large.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 16:49
I can test it.I have high speed DSL.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 22:50 Edited at: 13th Mar 2007 22:59
Great, Fred . I just realized that it was Josh who was on dial-up--I knew one of you was .

The e-mails have been sent to the testers. I'd prefer for you guys to give me your feedback by e-mail but if that's not possible, the forums will do (PM system anyone?).

EDIT: Wow, 13 pages!

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2007 03:28
I know this is a double post but it's been several days without any contact from anyone on here so I'm going to break the ice with some mildly frustrating news.

In my infinite idiocy, all of our computers were upgraded to Vista and I didn't do any checking for my sound card. My particular sound card has passed its support life and so running a bunch of games (like Theif: Deadly Shadows) and more importantly, FPS Creator, is halted due to lack of such sound card.

So anyway, I guess I'll be buying a new card off eBay. I've decided to go simple so I think I'll go for the Creative SoundBlaster Audigy Value as it has Vista-supportive drivers and I've managed to find it at a fair price.

As such, until the thing gets here I won't be able to work on Project Luna. I would revert to XP but it seems like a major hassle considering it shouldn't take too long to ship.

Do you guys have any better ideas for sound cards or do you think my choice is fine? Alternatively, of course, if there is some workaround for my current sound card (which I believe is a pre-24-bit Creative Soundblaster Live!, although since I can't read its stats in the device manager I can't be sure).

Suffice to say, Vista is still quite aesthetically pleasing. I'm constantly using between 40%-50% of my 1GB of RAM but you can't help but love the Aero interface .

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2007 03:47
I have not had a chance to test it yet but i have had relatives over and they think I ought to get off my pc and spend time with them...how silly can they be?
I hope I get a chance to check it out this weekend though.
My apologies for taking this long to get back to you.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2007 05:18 Edited at: 17th Mar 2007 05:18
No problem, Fred.

Having a life outside of FPSC is something to cherish so I'd suggest going and spending some time with them .

Don't stress over testing the demo--after all, it's not like I can make any changes until this sound card arrives anyway, which probably won't be till the second half of the week.

creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2007 11:22 Edited at: 17th Mar 2007 14:19
Hi Jiffy,
I have just downloaded the demo,and I shall be testing in exactly 2 hours time ( i am at a mates house at the moment). I just tested the game quickly,and from what I have seen,it looks awsome already!! Would you prefer your review to be posted on this thread via a attatchment,sent via email or told via MSN. It's up to you.
Anyway,looking forward to testing

Josh

EDIT: There is a slight glitch with your level jiffy. Everything is looking great so far,but I can't complete the level due to this glitch. Also,what value did you set for the global ambience? for some reason,the level is very bright,but I have a feeling this could be a FPSC glitch. I say this due to in your last screenshots,the room where all dark and creepy,but now there as bright as day. Anyway,full review coming after I complete the level.

Josh

Screenshot of glitch attached

ps: where did you get the 'show hud script' for the items. And would you mind explaining how you made the transparent images for the items the the dossier,paper etc

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2007 08:01 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2007 08:01
Thanks, Josh.

Obviously I've been in contact with you already about this so I won't do much in the scale of replying.

Unfortunetely no other replies have graced my inbox. 107MB isn't too much to ask is it ? Hopefully the rest of you guys (as in, Fred, heh. And the others if they actually still exist) can get back to me soon.

Well, Sound card has arrived and is in working order. Of course, in my infinite idiocy I installed a driver that wasn't exactly... compatible with Vista and bricked the OS. Luckily my Install CD was only several feet away and I had to reformat. Not too much to worry about--I've still got backups of the levels (although Josh, if you still have that "Fine" health HUD I sent you, could you send it back? Then remaking my lost HUDs will become much easier) but now there's the problem of getting FPSC back onto my computer. Thankfully, I had a backup of the install on an external HDD, only it keeps unmounting by itself when the install file transfer has 10 seconds left.

Quite a long story, eh? Anyway I'll keep working on it and as soon as I have FPSC on the computer I'll get back to working on Level 2 (Granweld Warehouse).

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2007 08:54
I haven't forgotten about you...I've just been really busy with family stuff.
I should get back with you sometime tomorrow after I have had a chace to check it out.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2007 09:38
That's fine Fred. Take your time .

creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 16:12 Edited at: 24th Mar 2007 16:20
Ok Jiffy. I shall send you your HUD now via email. And I hope everything goes ok with your comp!!

-Josh-

EDIT: Email sent

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 16:16
Jiffy: A couple posts ago you said that you were making a new trailer. How's that going?

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 02:24
Inspire - It was going great (about 90% done) until the aforementioned accidental reformat, which ended up meaning that I have neither the original captured videos or the actual WIP trailer.

I'll make another one, but it'll take a while longer to redo.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 05:43
Aw, man that stinks so bad. It happened to me earlier this year. lol

Dark Reconix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 20:30
Formatted or not. Its easy to get it back even with a corrupt hard drive. also for linux users to !
Simple google search will do the trick.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 04:42
Would be great, Dark Reconix, but I'm sure by now I've done far too much disk activity to have any hope. I've already used up all but 30GB of my HDD since the reformat.

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 06:11
Jiffy ive seen this thread for a long time, and have seen nothing convincing me that this game is everything everyones speaking of, it just seams like crap. no offense, i just hope you can prove me wrong, can you put up some links, just images of the game, like more than one so i can see what all the fuss is about?

You'll Know When You See It.

Death has no end
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 06:43 Edited at: 27th Mar 2007 06:45
Bloodeath, you're entitled to your own opinion. I'm fine with that. I've always worried about my horrificly slow ability to show people things so the fact that it's taken until now for anyone to actually complain surprises me.

Anyway, I've been having troubles with Vista and FPSC so I can't strictly show you any new images, though it doesn't sound much like you've seen the other ones I've posted.

The Earnston Estate
Hallway
Gallery
Study

And some older ones--As in, before the new Lightmapper:

Granweld Warehouse
The Catacombs
First Church of Elmond

Finally, there's the old trailer. This is fairly outdated but I figured I should throw it in anyway.

Project Luna Trailer

I don't expect that to make you all of a sudden go "Wow! I love it!". Feel free to think it's as crap and bland as you want.

Curiously though, what do you mean "What everyone's speaking of?". Project Luna hasn't exactly been critized non-stop but not that many people have really "praised" it, they're just interested.

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 07:24 Edited at: 27th Mar 2007 10:38
What i mean is, i hear alot of things from it from time to time, apparently this threads been around for awhile lol. But im not saying it looks like crap anymore, it look about as good as my games, if not alot better... lol, im just saying i dont see why so many people got so interested in it. But im sorry if you took what i said in a bad way, i just ment i dont get why it gets so much attention over other games

You'll Know When You See It.

Death has no end
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 07:32
Bloodeath,

Sorry if I sounded hostile .

And yes, the thread has been around for . Project Luna started when EA began, I just keep reinventing it over and over as FPSC continues to develop. Only really recently have I truly set into stone where Project Luna is headed, so in some ways this thread is more like 5 or 6 pages long instead of 13 .

Do you really think that it gets a lot of attention though? I mean the thread's far over a year old so I'm not surprised it's 13 pages.

Anyway, sorry again if I seemed hostile .

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2007 11:04
Yes, I know, it's a double post. It's been two days though and I wanted to say some more things.

Firstly, I've fixed a problem that was preventing me from working in FPSC, which quite naturally is useful.

Secondly, since two of my four testers don't seem to exist anymore and one of the others is having problems (from what I can tell, because of his PC), I'm more than happy to take on some more testers if anyone is interested. Keep in mind that the download is 107MB though the level itself could be regarded as fairly short.

Seriously guys, even if you think you might just even consider liking the prospect, realize that I'll appreciate it heaps. Thanks!

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2007 13:13 Edited at: 29th Mar 2007 13:13
I tried...and it turns out it is my pc.Apparantly I am missing a .dll file (or whatever it is called) that is necessary to run this particular demo.
If I can find the .dll somewhere (my guess is since it appears to be one related to DBP I will find it around here) I will try again.
I haven't given up.I'm just wrestling with my pc...and the darned thing keeps pinning me.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 15:06:49
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 15:06:49