Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / Project Luna - Updates

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 05:39
Heh, PureEvil. I'll get a working version as soon as I can .

And about the altered HUD messages, sort of.

Most of the process was actually creating the HUD messages, which I used the almighty Photoshop for. The only thing I altered in the scripts was changing the path of the respective HUD message to my image, and voila.

Evil has a new name. Demo out now!
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 10:36
I played the most recent version and i got stuck in the room with two bodies lying on some tables, is that normal?

Also, i notice that both the python and the colt had the same crosshair and seemed to do the same ammount of damage. Could i interest you in a crosshair pack?
AE

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 11:04 Edited at: 14th May 2006 12:36
AE -

I am actually very interested in your Crosshair pack--but apparently you don't have the latest version . The python is not found in the latest version, nor is the room with the two cadavers.
The latest version is the bottom one on the post, 130MB. In the old demo, I hadn't yet decided to actually alter damage, but that's been fixed in the latest version.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2006 14:24 Edited at: 14th May 2006 14:25
Sorry, sorry and sorry for the double post.

I know it's bad, but honestly--the only reason double posting is bad is because there is reason to edit, right?

I've got news.

Firstly, I set up a simple site for the game (I hate Freewebs, period): http://www.projectluna.cjb.net
The homepage is set out like a newspaper and accounts for the major events preceeding the game.

Secondly, I won't be on much for the next three weeks. I'm moving in with some relatives, because my house is currently being renovated--the front end of the house is getting sanded and polished, so I can't live there--and, the third week is due to getting my bathroom remodelled.

Anyway, my relatives are, let's just say "technologically impaired", and are without the internet (probably the only people I know without an internet connection). I will be able to quickly stop by here and do my regular check up on things, but not often.

And, in about a week, I'm having an operation. Nothing serious, but I'll be in bed for about a week.

Again, sorry for the double post, but it's news!

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2006 14:57
Wow.You are getting you and your house operated on.You are a busy person.Good luck on the operation.I hope you get to feeling better fast.

FLa
Where you can find my demo:http://www.savefile.com/files/6970524
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2006 15:14 Edited at: 14th May 2006 15:18
Heh, I has returned! I never thought of it that way!

And thanks . I'll have my (Alienware ) notebook with me though, so I'll still be able to get some more work done on level two, and possibly start work on level three (at least, the planning of it) while I'm in bed agonising in pain .

Me Self
Years of Service
User Offline
Jiffy I got a great idea for openiing some doors you know somtimes when you open doors in Resident evil your heart pounds you should try to find a sound with it . Just a coment

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 10:13 Edited at: 15th May 2006 10:28
Actually, Sunday, for a while I gave myself a go at making some cuscenes of opening doors. The problem is actually getting the player from one side of the door to the other. Through scripting, I can imagine it more than possible--probably involving "moving" the player through the door in some way to end up on the other side, and not actually have the door open at all. It'd be kinda difficult as I'm not sure of the capabilities of the PLRMOVE commands, but theoretically it's possible somewhat.

In fact, you mentioning it has whetted my appetite for giving it another go. The good thing about doing it in FPSC is that you can actually skip the cutscenes--the ability to do that is probably my favourite part of REDS.

If nobody posts in about an hour's time, this'll be my last post for 3 weeks. It'll be sad, but rest assured that I'll be busy working away at the game.

And check out the site I mentioned earlier (http://projectluna.cjb.net) if you want to find out some more about the story--the way it's set out it should give you some information useful for upcoming demos, especially if you have divulged in the "secrets" in level 1...

I even have a spin on the "ARG" realm when the game is released (a while away, naturally, but you can never plan too much, right? Oh wait, you can ). It involves numerous e-mail accounts and a whole bunch of Freewebs websites .

EDIT: Coincidentely, I just called up my relatives and they said to give them another few hours--I'll be here for another 2 or 3 hours.

Me Self
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 10:29 Edited at: 15th May 2006 10:33
Well you could just put a door with a soundzone then when u go out of the door it stops edit: whats your site regular adress i got a pup its like a spyware/virus type thing from cbj.net before thanks and also i see your using freewebs i use freewebs too

If you want to check my site out www.electricshoc8.net its a gaming website no games are posted on my website though and im shutting it down for awhile to make massive edits (sorry if im hijacking)

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 10:51 Edited at: 23rd May 2006 08:21
the original address is:

http://www.freewebs.com/projectluna

When I get closer to completing the game, I'll probably take out a domain name.

After all, it's not like it's super expensive.

And your idea would work too, Sunday, but it wouldn't have the trademark cutscene (but you know, it's more unique, right?)

Me Self
Years of Service
User Offline
OO Its more unique havent heard that word in ahwile . hmm what do you mean by The Trade Mark you mean in your game?

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 11:03
No, not in my game--I mean, you referred the opening doors idea to RE--the opening door sequences are Trademark RE (not literally, of course--(unless they are?) I mean that they are pure RE, and every RE fan knows 'em.

Me Self
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 11:05 Edited at: 15th May 2006 11:05
Oh know i see im making a template right now want me to make one for you?

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 11:08
Hm...

What do you mean by template?

Me Self
Years of Service
User Offline
A template is a layout You know on the game creator's Home page thats what im talking about

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 11:12
Oh, I'd assume you mean for the website then?

Well, I don't know... I'm really, really quite liking the one at the moment (the "newspaper" feel is something I'm really going for, especially with the front page), but if you've got nothing else to do then sure, go ahead.

Me Self
Years of Service
User Offline
ok im bored too il just make it for show
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 11:16
Fair enough.

Well, everything's packed. I'll be leaving in about an hour and 45 minutes.

...Ugh. Three weeks without the internet... it'll be horror. But hey, with two HDTV's, they more than make up for it .

Me Self
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 11:17 Edited at: 15th May 2006 11:19
Lol Jiffy funny Edit: Hurry Jiffy nemises is after you in 1 hour and 45 minutes
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 11:29
I always hated Nemisis.

I mean, c'mon. A rocket launcher? No, thankyou.

And I always hated how his biggest death-trap was to give you three weeks without the internet .

Me Self
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 11:32 Edited at: 15th May 2006 11:33
i think it works if u save the forurms to favourite and select make avalible offline but u have to do it on every thread to view them all ahah Edit Again : Hmm How Does Project Jiffy Sound Just Kidding
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 11:33 Edited at: 15th May 2006 11:34
Ha!

I can imagine saving the entire forum to my hard drive...

Actually, I have been to a forum (Leo Laporte's), where a guy actually did that. Used up the entire bandwidth and the guy was banned... Heh.

EDIT: Project Jiffy? Heh.

Me Self
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 11:38 Edited at: 15th May 2006 11:40
aaha Are you serious? if i was you i would just save my main threads or the latest edit : template almost finished its not that great but its the second one i created :0
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 11:45
See, I could, but then it's not as though I could post or read anything new.

I've copied some things I need for reference into a Word document, should suffice. We'll see.

Me Self
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah your right i shoulda thunk before i posted
Me Self
Years of Service
User Offline
Well Jiff i should start going to sleep now Byes
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 12:15
Okay, Sunday.

Probably talk to you in three weeks time.

And alas, the end of my communication has been reached for this thread, at least.

I'll talk to you all soon, and hopefully will talk to you soon with an array of things to show you. Hopefully.

Anyway, I'll leave you with these words:

Evil Has Arrived.

PS: Heh, had to use the motto as my last words.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 05:25
Hey guys!

Huge apologies for the double post.

That said, I'm fairly happy at the moment.

I managed to sign my relatives up for pre-paid dial-up (ugh...), so I've got a connection to the outside the world, even if it is only at 45.2 kb/s.

Level two is well underway and the story is totally finished. I don't have photoshop on this computer yet (have to dig around for it), but hopefully I'll be back to using my "1337" skills soon enough.

I also got my hands on some logitech gear, mainly a G5 mouse and G15 keyboard--been wanting them for a while.

Anyway, apologies for the slightly uninteresting update, just thought I should tell you that I'm not totally in the wilderness anymore.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 07:53
Good to hear you aren't suffering internet withdrawl any more.

FLa
Where you can find my demo:http://www.savefile.com/files/6970524
Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 08:22
I agree with I has returned.

Intel P4 Processor 519 3.06 Ghz, 1536 MB DDR, Ati Radeon 9550 256MB
My site: http://www.freewebs.com/nigezu
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 08:28 Edited at: 23rd May 2006 08:29
Thanks guys, it feels great to be back.

I'm personally really, really liking where the story is headed: I'll give you a few hints--level 2 features a warehouse, level three will feature a church, and level four will feature a village.

Some very different settings there, but they all tie together into an overall picture.

The loading screens are really quite intergral to the story, interestingly enough. None of them actually tell you what the level is about in a "this is what you're doing" sense, but all of them follow the "file" scheme that the rest of the story uses.

For instance, the level two loading screen is essentially a "journal" of sorts of the player's character (Brad Mayon), and it essentially tells the player where they are going next. Level three is introduced by a Fax you get from someone who tells you to meet them where the level takes place, etc.

I figured that this was a good story mechanic, as it keeps the player involved even during the arduous loading times.

Me Self
Years of Service
User Offline
Yay jiffy's back im looking foward to the churche level

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 08:47
Thanks, Sunday.

Personally, I'm happy with a lot of the plans. Like I've mentioned before, the new versions have a habit of referencing the previous versions--even though some of them are totally unknown to the public (Orbital Developments was previously named Ideana, and "Ideana Enterprises" is mentioned more than once throughout the story).

The church is also another "in-reference", since level six of my original levels was a (...not so great) church.

Me Self
Years of Service
User Offline
Heheh looks like were going to have a big chat again

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 09:04
Heh, Sunday--that was one heck of a big chat!

Anyway, I'd better go back to FPSC. It's going to be kind of annoying without Photoshop, but here's hoping I'll have it again sometime tonight.

Me Self
Years of Service
User Offline
Alirght Mr.Jiff

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 15:21
Indeed, Sunday.

Level 2 is, again, going smoothly. I've got some rather interesting things going. Lighting has taken on a slightly more "realistic" turn as it's been not just put in quite a few places, but is also in places you would expect. Ever notice how vending machines have the glow at nights? You can see that. Things like that really, but it makes a difference.

In fact, with that "vending machine" question, I'm quite happy how that turned out. It just looks "right" when it glows like that.

Some other interesting things about Level 2:

- Level 1's puzzle/s were, to a degree, laterally based. You had to think outside the norm and not assume anything, then take into consideration the descrepencies that lay in front of you. Level 2's puzzles, on the other hand, are logically based. You have to look around and take everythingb into consideration--you have to think about things you already know and use them to your advantage.

- Level 2 is more of a "puzzle" level than anything else--the enemy count is similar to that of Level 1, and there is, to a degree, less story to be told. The gold lies in the puzzles, though. Whether it be scaling a series of boxes or discovering the secret to a particular picture, there is a stumper around every corner. Because of this, though, there are "clues" for the puzzles which will be the hardest--use your brain, and you'll succeed.

- Of course, this isn't a puzzle game here. No, this is different. Each time you face an enemy, it's a life or death situation. Just one enemy can kill you, simple as that. A few misplaced bullets and a couple of untimed moves can get you killed. Watch your back, too, because more enemies will be coming out of nowhere without warning.

Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 17:04
Sounds promising! When this game is ready will it be free? Soryy if that has posted before but I'm too lazy to read all 8 pages.

Me Self
Years of Service
User Offline
Yay jiffy , realse it already

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2006 08:48
Heh, 8 pages.

Quite a lot when you think about it.

But yeah--I'm a firm believer in things being free, so yeah, it will be totally free. The cost comes in the download size .

Thanks for the praise. It's been a fun time, and with Photoshop back in my hands, I'll be able to create more story-driven things like folders and such. 'T will be fun--and the way level 2 is looking, it'll give players a mixed bag of play as far as game type goes (like slightly mentioned in my previous post, levels can alternate from story-telling, to puzzle-bound, to action-based, to discovery-based, to scare-based.

There's a lot to play with--of course, we'll just have to see how it goes.

But anyway--a question: My internet connection, even back home, is sub-par. It took around 4 hours for level 1 to upload. How should I go about uploading things? Should I upload level 2 once it's done, or get several levels wrapped together before another demo?

More importantly, should I (if releasing a new demo just after Level 2 is completed) release the level seperately, or with (a slightly updated) level 1?

I'm doubling my speed next month, so it should be a bit more convienent then, but we'll see.

Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2006 11:44
I think you should release level 2 seperately if it is just a demo. In full version it's much better when you have all levels together.

And for those who have played first level it is better because they shouldn't have to play first level second time.

(Sounds pretty stupid but I hope you understand)

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2006 13:50
No, Nigezu, it doesn't sound stupid.

I think that if by the time the level i completed I have a 1.5 megabit connection, I may be able to upload two versions, one for those who downloaded level 1 and one for those who haven't. Also means that if you want the "updated" level 1, you've got the option.

DieRider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2006 13:24
I'd just like to add that releasing all levels as demos isnt the best way to go, you would usually make 1 demo (1sp/1mp if ur having a mp element)which would be the best or most unique level in the game, look at hL2, the first level and ravenholm (which was quite unique).
just a suggestion

Question chuck norris and you will recieve a fatal roundhouse kick to the head
Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2006 21:11
I'm just bumping this.

*BUMP*

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 05:40
Thanks for the *bump*, Nigezu.

Things have been going sort of slowly, mainly due to me having my operation yesterday. I'm kind of drowsy, but I managed to hook up the computer to the 50" plasma in their lounge room .

Work on level 2 *is* progressing though, just fairly slowly.

Me Self
Years of Service
User Offline
Hehe hiya jiff havent seen you in ahwile

Recaliber
Years of Service
User Offline
yo JIFFY my man games looking good i saw you change the music to the exorcist halloween music.....honestly download it i made a game with it in and my friend was so scared its tense man....well keep it up peace

welcome to this one man show
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2006 05:58 Edited at: 5th Jun 2006 05:17
Wow...

5 more downloads this week for V2. 290 total--10 more 'till the big 300!

Anyway, I finally moved back home. The house is looking fairly good, but I officially don't have a bathroom at the moment . Still recovering from the operation (which hurt more than I expected after I woke up from the general anasthetic (no idea how to spell it :S)).

30 downloads for V4, 13 this week, which is nice. Less comments than I expected, though. Oh--by the way, after trying the demo with my relatives 50" plasma as the monitor, I really did see the "darkness" that you guys talked about...

BUT. I also noticed something that you guys apparently didn't pick up on. You can still use the "<" and ">" keys to change the brightness, even in the compiled game! So if you had trouble the first time 'round, give it another shot if you have the time--hopefully, you won't be disappointed.

EDIT: Random, but I thought I'd say some things I found interesting while taking a short trip to every page of the Showcase board:

- Firstly, this thread has seen 6,861 views... Chances are, 6,800 of them are probably just me pressing refresh a lot of times (joking) . I'm also the owner of the most viewed thread in the entire board! Go me !

- Secondly, and weirdly, the thread (quite a while back) "CRAZY MAZE!!! V1 Demo Ready for Download!" has recieved exactly 666 views. Weird...

- Opus' review of V1 of Project Luna is the 5th last thread on the entire board.

Again, very random, but I needed something to do while the current build of level 2 was compiling (oddly enough, it only took 30 odd seconds, I just didn't realise it and got a bit carried away ).

brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 00:38 Edited at: 5th Jun 2006 00:39
The devil is coming for us, I saw him yesterday, buying milk in the grossery.

Can you post a link to the last update of Project Luna? I must have missed it...
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 05:16 Edited at: 5th Jun 2006 05:19
Really, Antimatter?

I had been positive you tried it out. Well, either way, the link is here: http://files.filefront.com/PL_Demo_Level_1exe/;5047469;;/fileinfo.html
The link was actually edited onto the first post the whole time (well, in April--I actually have links to both versions on there)

If you experience the same "way-to-dark" problems as others, remember that you can, in fact, use "<" and ">" to adjust the darkness. Just don't go making it too light .

On that note, my screen must be super bright then... But anyway, Level 2 is getting back into motion. I've got a nice little logical puzzle with a bit of a riddle, and two cutscenes to go along with it. I had an idea for if you make the wrong choice, but it'll mean that those two rooms alone will have 4 cutscenes. Really, it's a lot considering the size of the rooms.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 19:51:56
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 19:51:56