Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / Project Luna - Updates

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 15:18
Welcome back Jiffy!

I know Karate, Kung Fu, and 47 other dangerous words...
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 15:30 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2006 15:31
Thanks Havok, it feels great to be back.

The forums feel the slightest hint cleaner, but that may because the memory of the "Conjured/Merranvo/Jiffy" scandal are rammed into my memory (if you remember that... I do, I took a screenshot of the 30 odd threads he made ).

Anyway, like I said, I'm happy to be back and continue making what LizBlizz and PureEvil have called "The greatest FPS Horror/Survival Horror game of all time" . Hm, that'd go well as a quote on a mini-site!

"You guys are losers with no life! I played Runescape all weekend..." - Manticore Night
Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice to here from you again!

im hot

Sexy Latina
Maeko
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 01:09
Erm, wtf LizBlizz?

Give a man some bullets, and he'll want a gun. Give a man a gun and he'll be giving away the bullets!!
brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 01:20 Edited at: 24th Apr 2006 01:20
Sounds freaking sweet Jiffy, I´ll be there for sure when you upload the demo!

*off topic*
Liz, how is it going with lucid nightmare? I see you have changed your website, it looks very good!
*off topic*

Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Yhea its going good!!! but what i need now is a better mouse mine works but when you click it, it moves up hard to model with that ill get another one at target

And thanks antimatter! i used 2 accounts shhh! hope they dont find out !!! and im gonna try to but some music

Sexy Latina
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 02:04 Edited at: 24th Apr 2006 02:05
liz, I was saying to kill the bulldogs who killed your cat... in a very painful and agonizing way.

Bows to Jiffy, for a second... I thought Teh Wheel Gator finally caught up with you... never know what happens these days in cyberspace.

We all have our inner noob. Join the NJL, and have more fun!
I believe society is flawed; our notions on life, on child rearing, stem too far back to be of relevance in this day and time.
Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
oh ok sorry! yhea they died in the SPCA they were put to sleep and were bured and we are gonna sue them

Sexy Latina
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 03:48 Edited at: 24th Apr 2006 04:03
Thanks for the kind words. Well, this past day has seen some very cool additions to the new level--there's a riddle (which might be relatively hard, or relatively easy to guess--I tried to make it as logical as possible), a major booby-trap, a cutscene that introduces a new enemy (which is probably my favourite part of the level) and some nice lightning going on in the background.

Remember those intro cutscenes I showed a while ago? Well, in .avi form, they ended up around the 200MB mark. Now, I'm going to keep the two cutscenes, but use them in a different way; they are going to be installed in the Start>Programs>Project Luna folder, accessible outside the game, in .wmv form. That way, the cutscenes together are under 10MB as opposed to 400MB .

There is very little left to do. I've captured the footage for the death of the enemy that is introduced in the cutscene (it doesn't have a death animation so I needed to make a cutscene for it--that might hold a clue to what it is), now I just need to turn the 5 second cutscene into a 20MB .avi (), figure out where to add the video command to set it off (I had to experiment to get the introduction cutscene where I wanted and ended up just placing a storyzone over the triggerzone that loads the enemy, since when trying to add it into the triggerzone that set the enemy off, it went into an infinite loop), and make a few tweaks to make the game that bit more interesting. I'll tell you now that there are three ways in the level that you can be killed instantly--and the cutscene-enemy is one of them, so when it plays be sure to turn around VERY quickly. I've died from it twice while testing .

And OnePost... If you're talking about Wheely being the one who used the "Conjured" account to make all of the insult threads, he already told me. After that, and doing an english assignment for him (don't ask, I had nothing to do that night ), he knows he owes me . It was funny how it came about, too--I found out he got a year-ban and immediately thought that it was because he was spamming the board with that "poo-bag"--so I wrote Rich an e-mail about it, and he helped me--of course, a month after I sent it (which was about a week or two after the insult threads), he told me he did it. I wasn't really all that annoyed, but he knows he like I said, he knows he owes me.

Evil has a new name.
Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Jiffy can you post a video of your cutscenes sometimes mine dont work they open up real 1 and say cant play php: good luck with prodject luna! whats some coustome stuff you put in?

Sexy Latina
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 04:16 Edited at: 24th Apr 2006 04:32
Sure, I'll post a video of my cutscenes, but--do you want me to post the cutscenes themselves or the cutscenes in-game?

Hm, some stuff with cutscenes--well, due to the filesizes of them, there arn't all that many. Because of the story outline cutscenes are out of the game and into the install folder, I figured I should have something to begin the level, so I took some short captures of angles of the mansion you start at--there are three angles of the outside (complete with rain effects, thanks to Zone Chicken), and a few inside angles of the menacing foyer. The part I'm not sure about including in this cutscene is two 2-second shots of your character entering the mansion. There isn't much use for it, but I figured it might not be a bad idea since the "cutscene-introduced-enemy" I talked about shows several angles of the character. The character is nothing special, just a Colonel X in fact, but its better than nothing as far as I see it.

While I'm posting this, I've got a question; has anyone bought Model Pack # 2? It looks great, but I'd really only be buying it for the "Blood room", and scientist/blood scientist (the normal one especially for all of the photos and paintings over the place (not so much in level 1, but the re-do of level 2 could use it). So, can anyone give me some feedback on the pack?

EDIT: I always like referencing older things, so in the "painting" room, there are several pictures from levels of older version of Project Luna

Evil has a new name.
Walking Dead Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 04:38
How did you get the chairs to lay on their sides like they had been knocked over? I can only seem to rotate objects around in a circle. How do you rotate them sideways like that?
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 04:49 Edited at: 24th Apr 2006 04:52
Thinking back on it, I don't actually remember placing them on their sides--I just turned physics on, messed them around a bit and let ODE do its work.

Of course, that's not to say you can't place them on their sides without physics--all you have to do is rather than pressing "R" to rotate objects, press the numbers 1-8 (I think it goes up to eight--there are four ways they can be rotated, two for each way to go back and fourth), and they will rotate them on different axes (plural of axis?). Some of them need to be rotated in several directions before they will go on the axis that gets them on the side, although most will have a number that immediately puts them like that. If you try all of the numbers, you will eventually get it on its side.

Evil has a new name.
Maeko
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 04:51
It only goes up to 6, maybe.

Give a man some bullets, and he'll want a gun. Give a man a gun and he'll be giving away the bullets!!
Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Dosent matter but if you gonna do custome make it like 20 seconds long i have dial up

Sexy Latina
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 04:52 Edited at: 24th Apr 2006 04:56
Checking it, Maeko, you are absolutely right, it does only go up to six.

EDIT: Liz, what do you mean by "Custome"? Do you mean, custom, as in cutscenes that are not included with FPSC?

None of the cutscenes surpass 20 seconds, but they are pretty big (14MB for like 5 seconds!? Pft. If I post a cutscene here like you asked, I'll post it in .wmv form for sure). After hearing that compiling .exes includes everything in the Files folder, I'm going to just back up the Files folder and delete everything I don't need for the demo. Should reduce the demo size a bit.

Evil has a new name.
Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
yhea i ment that i think i pushed a wrong letter. well ok then could you post a pic of a screen shot of a cut sceene?

Sexy Latina
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 05:03 Edited at: 24th Apr 2006 05:07
Heh, I would, but at the moment, I'm playing the original, old, clunky, inconsistent version of Project Luna--you got a Tavor at the beginning and the first enemy held a bazooka . The reason I'm doing it is to get some nice screenshots for the painting room in the new demo.

It's not from a cutscene, but I have a picture of the Mansion that the new demo is set in, in the daytime, without rain, which I made for the picture in the painting room. I've attached it.

EDIT: Remember this picture isn't found in-game at all, although you do see this area in the opening cutscene, at night, with rain. So naturally it doesn't look menacing, scary or dark, it's meant simply for the player to see what the mansion looks like in the day, if they pay enough attention in the painting room.

EDIT 2: And just so you know--the outside of the mansion isn't actually the outside of the level--the level itself would look weird from the outside, so I just made a seperate map with the outside of it set in mind, that only includes a foyer.

Evil has a new name.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
ok so that was your cutsceene? well looks nice i wish i could play prodject luna but this Sh!ty internet!!! so Fu@king slow aahhh! ok time 2 calm down...12345 ok.

so is there a video?

Sexy Latina
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 05:15 Edited at: 24th Apr 2006 05:16
Firstly, like I said, it isn't from a cutscene. It is merely the texture for a painting/picture I have inside the new demo, which is located in the painting room (which I'm making now, looking for some good pictures from older versions of Project Luna to put into the painting room.

There is a video, but I'd need to reconstruct them in Windows Movie Maker to get them in .wmv so they're small enough. And even a 4MB file takes a while to upload for me, and on top of that, .wmv downgrades in-game play a LOT. Anyway, I'll see what I can do.

Evil has a new name.
Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
So your cutsceences are gameplay? i thought you used like 3rd person cutscenes like in 007 goldeneye.

Sexy Latina
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 05:49 Edited at: 24th Apr 2006 05:50
3rd person cutscenes? If you mean using the FPSC engine, then yes.

I made all of the cutscenes by recreating the area it takes place in--for the laboratory cutscene, I made a new map that had just the corridor it takes place in, and added all of the entities necessary for the cutscenes, with waypoints to direct the characters in the cutscenes, and using Fraps to capture the video. They are third person in all of them - the laboratory cutscene I just mentioned shows several angles with "you", who I simply used the Colonel X for. They are shot from static angles, and I tried to find the best angles I could in-game.

So no, the cutscenes arn't of pre-made gameplay, but they are made exactly how you make a normal map, the only difference being that when recording them, there is no HUD or weapon in hand, and the characters don't interact with the camera.

Evil has a new name.
Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
ok so you meen your cutsceens are like in real video games? well published is more better

Sexy Latina
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 05:58 Edited at: 24th Apr 2006 06:00
Well, like some real video games. It's not like the games where CG is used and made with an external program, but it's like, say, Resident Evil 4, where all of the cutscenes are made using the engine (so it has the exact same graphics as the game, but is simply "showing" the character, not playing them).

And what do you mean by "well published is more better"?

This thread just keeps floating up to the top!

Evil has a new name.
Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
like top games one that are at stores and stuff you know what i mean! show me a cutscene in your game the shortes one you got

Sexy Latina
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 06:21
Well, since I don't want any spoilers, I'll need to reconstruct a cutscene to make it not reveal much about the level. So, I will make it now (might take 5-10 minutes).

I'll attach it to another post when it's ready.

Evil has a new name.
Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 07:28
That mansion pic was nice!

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 519 3.06 Ghz, 1536 MB DDR, Ati Radeon 9550 256MB
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 07:46
Heh, thanks Nigezu. You should see the inside!

Well, my attempt at creating a .wmv version of the cutscene I was talking about sort of failed miserably, I'm just going to have to pass on that.

Oh well. I'll post some screenshots soon, and hopefully I will have it finished, and uploaded, tommorow. We'll see.

Evil has a new name.
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 15:28 Edited at: 24th Apr 2006 15:47
Sorry for the double post, but I have a problem.

See, remember how I said the .avi's tended to be HUGE? Well, using the DivX 6.6 codec, I managed to squeeze them down to 10-13 times less than the originals, but with practically the same quality.

Then I hit a brick wall.

See, when playing the .avi in Windows Media Player or Realplayer, the video plays upside down (which, from experience, I believe is when software doesn't have a particular codec, or has a damaged one)! So, I decided to give it a shot in FPSC anyway. Success. It played just like the 40MB version--and just before I was about to relax, I thought to myself "What if FPSC uses the codec I downloaded, meaning that people without the codec will see it incorrectly!?". So, I decided to come here and ask you guys a favor.

The now-3MB video is attached. What I'm asking is for you kind people (especially those without the codec, but ones with it are still helpful) to download the 3MB .avi file and test it in an FPSC Storyzone (And Windows MP if possible, but that's not as important) and tell me how the video plays. Also, if you can, tell me if you have the DivX 6.6 codec as well (or earlier versions, but just saying "..And I have a DivX codec" should help enough).

I'm not sure if I'm asking too much, but I would be immensely greatful if you could find time to do this for me. Remember, if this works, then it'll mean more cutscenes included (A "Director's Cut" of sorts, since there are several cutscenes that I want in but are simply too big to include in the download), along with a smaller upload time (which also means less time to wait for the download to become available, since my connection is... well, it's a poor excuse for DSL.

If you decided to help me, I really can't thank you enough. If you didn't... you suck !

EDIT: OOPS! I forgot to attach it! I'll put it back into this post, but you'll need to bare with me--upload time for just a 3MB file will take a fair while.

EDIT 2: TGC is starting to peeve me off! I tried 4 times to get it to upload, all of which ended up saying "The Server reset while the page was loading". I'm going to give my old Tripod account a go, but I don't know if that'll be any better.

Evil has a new name.
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 16:19
Sorry to make a triple post, but I got the file onto Tripod (In one attempt, and much quicker, than TGC)--I had to make a whole new website for it, and this is the link to the page:

http://jiffysprojectluna.tripod.com/id9.html

The download should be relatively obvious. I would have edited the above post, but really, I wanted this to float to the top .

Evil has a new name.
brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 16:43
It works correctly for me and i played it in realplayer.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 16:46
Great to hear!

Thanks for taking the time to try it, Antimatter, I appreciate it. Would you by any chance know if you have the DivX Codec? It isn't necessarily as important, but if you know, then it'd help a lot.

Evil has a new name.
brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 17:31
I dont know if i have the codec.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 17:42 Edited at: 24th Apr 2006 17:43
That's fine, no need to worry.

In other news, I'm attempting to get the cutscene-enemy (if you didn't read earlier, I have an enemy that is both introduced and killed through cutscenes) to play the .avi as it dies. I tried adding "healthless=2" (I put 2 since I figured 1 might stuff things up) followed by "video=videobankuserenemyoutro.avi" to a melee script I have, in a state that is constantly being checked over by the engine. For some reason, though, it keeps telling me that there is a problem with a sound file whenever I use the script. I'll quickly add that the script is "Melee2" by Noldor/Merranvo, since it seemed to be the most suitable for this particular enemy. This is the script--I've put a lot of square brackets around the line that I added:

It should be obvious that this is my first go at modifying a script--I've got a bit down, but I suppose ordering of commands might be a bit of a challenge for me right now.

Evil has a new name.
brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 18:15
It should look like this.

Just a : means that that line of code is true if the conditions are true, no matter which state it was before.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 18:34
Thanks, Antimatter--you just can't stop helping, can you?

Anyway, it half-solved the problem--the level loads now without a hitch, but for some reason, the cutscene doesn't play when the enemy is killed.

Anyway, thanks again for your help. I'll see if I can fix it by tweaking the settings.

Evil has a new name.
brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 18:40 Edited at: 24th Apr 2006 18:41
Oh yeah, i heard that the video command didnt work a while ago, i just didnt remember it...

Quote: "Thanks, Antimatter--you just can't stop helping, can you"

Well if you dont want my help...

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 18:54 Edited at: 24th Apr 2006 18:55
Heh, I'll be fine with your help, thanks .

Anyway, the video command doesn't work? So does that mean that:

does work and:

doesn't? Because the former has to work (it's in the Storyzone script, after all )--I originally tried adding the same media field in the storyzone .fpe into the enemy's and directing it to that with a "video=$1" in the destroy script (which might explain why it didn't work).

Anyway, I'm heading off. When I get back (in like... 8 hours), I'll do some testing on that idea.

Cya

Evil has a new name.
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 16:25
Well, alas, I never got around to testing the above mentioned way.

However, I've made other progressions. I fixed a huge error in the "puzzle" I mentioned earlier, I've added one more (different) cutscene enemy (this one isn't necessary to complete the game, and you get rewarded if you face off against him), three extra messages ("Mossberg Taken", "Colt 45 Taken" and "Colt 45 Clip Taken", the ones I hadn't already done) and one "reward zone", which is an area that holds an item useful to the journey--because Project Luna is about slow moving zombies, your ammo is scarce.
In the reward zone, you will find a clip of ammo. It might not sound like much, but it is the only one in the entire level (each clip holds 15 rounds, so finding the clip will mean you'll have the ability to waste 'em)--and although the reward zone will be easy to spot for those who look for it, you'll need to really make an attempt to get in there since it's in a tight spot. That said, it is possible.

All in all, the level is virtually done. What needs to be done? I need to import the cutscenes and place them (which'll take no more than 10 minutes, really), see if I can tweak the script for the zombies which makes them "smarter" (as in being able to climb stairs), get the ending cutscene-enemy death into the game and make the usual tweaks necessary.

Of course, then comes the tedious part of uploading it. Filefront doesn't come back online until this afternoon (25th), and my upload speed is pretty slow. If it works out like last time (as in, 3 failed upload attempts), you should expect the download ready by either the 26th or 27th.

And sorry for multi-posting so much, but really, I can imagine people would have viewed this since last time, and I do have different relevant things to talk about. It won't happen again!

Evil has a new name.
Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 17:02
Can't wait for download link!
I had your first version of first level and it was great too!

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2006 01:04
Hey, Jiffy; you're back How's things been going? I'll have to check this out when I get on high-speed later.

-Keith

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2006 01:24
Jiffy, try doubling or trippling the doors in the pic...

Looks at script...
Tell me what you really want them to do, it is about time I start on another AI (and this time, not that idiotic 'super super' AI I was working on for a while there...)

I believe society is flawed; our notions on life, on child rearing, stem too far back to be of relevance in this day and time.
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2006 10:52 Edited at: 26th Apr 2006 11:06
Nigezu - Thanks! I'm glad you liked the original (which was actually V3)--V4 is by far the most advanced and interesting, I think it goes to show that someone who's a no-hoper at scripting, modelling and texturing can still make a good game with a community to turn to when in need (of course, I'm not necessarily being modest--I think this new version is good, but we'll have to see

Keith - I sure am back! It was actually funny how I left--I sort of told myself "Meh, I'll go back in a week", but that week turned into a month, which turned into two, which turned into however long I was gone. Then, I was looking through some things to delete (I oddly had 156 of my 160GB Hard drive used up (ends up it was a whole bunch of recorded TV that I'd never watched)) when I came across FPSC again and thought "Hm, maybe I should take a look at how the level is"... Then, I couldn't stop and was having too much fun, so I decided it was time to come back.

OnePost - See, I would double or triple the amount of doors in the picture, but I don't think it's overwhelmingly necessary--you see that area for about 5 seconds in the opening cutscene, and that picture in the painting room (which is why it is in the day). Plus, are there normally multiple entrance doors to an estate at the front? I would've used double doors, but, well... there are none!
The script was to play a cutscene when the enemy is killed, simple as that. It is probably fairly simple, but then that was my first actual go at editing a real script for a real, proper purpose.
If you want some more AI to do, then, if you have any spare time on your hands would you be able to help me with something? It's fairly simple, and I did it myself, but I have no idea if it works--it is an edit of the HL2 Zombie script found with Bond1's FPSC zombie model. Essentially, my plan on fixing the "error" of enemies not being able to walk up staircases unless you were both standing at one end of it was to make the "followplr" command run if the player was out of a reasonable range--this is what I have:

It didn't seem to work, so you know. It's in no way necessary and I'm not pressuring you, but if you get the chance, I'd appreciate it a lot.

Now for a question, for all of you. See, I decided when creating this level that I wanted to reward people for being extra curious about their surroundings, and really exploring. Because of this, I added the "reward zone" mentioned yesterday, along with the newest cutscene-enemy mentioned in my last post (to add to the difficulty of finding him, I slightly altered Uman's zoneactivate1.fpi so you need to press Use to trigger it). See, I really personally like this new cutscene enemy's introduction, and I'm questioning whether I should leave it as a choice to do and hard to find, or make it an automatically triggered cutscene (and therefore, necssary to complete).
In much shorter terms: Would you guys rather have this enemy only there for the curious and therefore be rewarded for it, or make it an objective of sorts that needs to be faced off against? Remember, if it's necessary, there won't be a reward for it. So, if you could get back to me on that, I'd be greatful. I suppose if it did end up being an objective, I would make up for it with another secret.

Not long to go now! I would post some screenshots and such, but I really want the "big day" to be just that, big. I'll have the full demo, a ton of screenshots, and a trailer that I'm preping at the moment. It'll be big! Filefront still isn't online yet, but I suspect that the new demo will be online sometime soon, probably in the next two or three days (like I said in my last post). Let's hope I can actually keep the date this time!

EDIT: One thing I've noted through testing the new demo myself is that the framerate appears to be a lot better than in the previous demo, mainly because I opted for less physics objects and less lighting as such. Strangly, the only room with apparent slowdown is the (fairly small) dining room, which just won't seem to get faster--I've even made it so there are zero dynamic objects (apart from a flame decal), and no lighting, but it doesn't go any faster. At all.

Evil has a new name.
Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2006 14:58
I rather that it sould be just a reward of exploring. No objective.

By the way, Jiffy! Have you already saw my new project?
If not, just look for a thread called: Game Demo by Nigezu

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2006 16:15 Edited at: 26th Apr 2006 17:13
I've been meaning to take a look into it, Nigezu, but haven't gotten the chance as of yet. I'll download it first thing when Filefront goes back online (and I'm online, of course). Some of the screenshots look absolutely fantastic, I can see you've put a lot of work into it.

Anyway, thanks for your input. It's likely I'll choose that, but of course with the recent slew of encoding problems, keeping it in at all may be a challenge (although I'd be keeping the upload on overnight anyway I suppose, so if the full download is big and it's fine with you guys, I might be able to keep all of them in).

I really want to release some screenshots, but I don't think I should--one thing about the new demo is that it relies on two things: player unexpectedness and fluidity. This version has a few "cheap scares" that obviously rely on the player not expecting them (mind you, I even scared myself during the last test when one I lost one of the enemies and it ended up behind me). Fluidity is also a key component because this version has a major riddle tied with a death trap, and an actual story that is revealed to the players that look for it (especially the exploring kind).

Because of this, I don't think I'd be able to honestly show an "interesting" screenshot that does even mildly give a fluidity or unexpectedness point away, so that's why I've been reluctant.

The level in itself could be considered short if you know exactly what to do (I've finished the level in minutes, but then I know exactly where I'm going, where to trigger key events and what things to bother doing), but when I got someone else to play it, they found that it took them a fair amount longer (although, they happened to enjoy taking the death choice in the riddle mentioned above, so that's no surprise.

*Looks at post* ...Is it just me, or are my posts getting much longer, wiser and less emoticon-filled?

EDIT: Since I felt like I was kind of brushing off any pre-release showings, I decided to make this quick little teaser "poster". I whiped it up in less than 5 minutes and I'm no graphics artist, but I just felt like given you guys a little something. The background will be a little familiar, and the picture didn't seem to have as much rain as I'd hoped, but it'll do for now. It's a little under 100KB (I wanted a quality picture), and it's attached.

Evil has a new name.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2006 01:52
your post is too long im not gonna read..when are you releasing a new demo

http://ninjasoftforum.proboards107.com
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2006 08:36 Edited at: 28th Apr 2006 08:37
Heh, Bloodeath, I just mentioned in my previous posts are getting longer, much, much longer.

To answer your question, the demo will be released very soon. The only thing holding me back from uploading the demo is the fact that I still haven't found a solution for the problem I mentioned earlier six of my posts-ago, in which an .avi would not run through a script--a problem, of course, since it is an intergral part of the demo.

Once that is cleared up (hopefully either Antimatter or OnePost will give me a push in the right direction) and Filefront finally resumes uploading features, the demo will be release.

Hopefully this post wasn't too long, but looking at the post where I replied to some comments on this page, it isn't long at all .

Evil has a new name.
brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2006 14:34
@Jiffy

You could buy FPSPack from Rastaman. It plays a video when the game starts; both avi, mpeg and wmv.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2006 14:59
Thanks for the suggestion, and I do plan on no-doubt purchasing FPSPack, but the only real problem is that that wasn't what I was after .

The problem I'm having was with getting a cutscene to play after an enemy is killed, and it's kind of intergral (unless you guys are fine with the enemy just disappearing . Anyway, I'm still working on it, hopefully I'll have it worked out by the time Filefront finally resumes hosting capabilities.

Like I've said, the demo is essentially ready for upload. I added lighting (I wanted to do that last, and as such only added the lights that were really, really important). It certainly looks better now--that said, I need to reconfigure some things to get the framerate back up.

I'm also making numerous "promotional" things for the demo release, such as screenshots, an all new (really good ) trailer, and even some concept/teaser shots of later levels. I've also made sure to add a special document into the level that will help in the full version if you find it, so look out for a secret document that mentions a later level...

So, that's it for this post. Watch this space, since chances are, when Filefront is back up, I'll be uploading the file at 5KB/S (okay, slight under-estimate, but it's still slow. Very slow). Anyway, thanks for everyone's input. I've been recently looking at some of the demos 'round here and see I've got some serious competition, especially with the speed I've been going at...

Anyway, enough babbling. I'll now return to FPSC to do some more editing .

Evil has a new name.
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2006 01:00
Jiffy... really confused on what you were doing...

Looks like after the plr is within 3 blocks the zombie activates.
If the plr is too far he moves to the plr
then, in an attempt to fix the whole staircase issue, you use followplr
if the plr is further then 5 blocks the enemy deactivates
And of course... melee.

Now the problem you are asking about is the fact that the enemys aren't moving up and down the staircases... I need to go though some lift code, but this is what I have.

If the player is higher then the enemy, move up.
If there is no floor below the enemy, move down.
Of course you need to check to see if there is a ceiling above the enemy before moving up, which leads to a design problem, but that can be worked around.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 14:47:01
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 14:47:01