Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / Project Luna - Updates

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 13:07
Im downloading it now.

I have tested an early version of Project Luna a while ago, it was very scary!
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 13:20
Wow, you thought it was scary?

What an honor!

Anyway, the puzzle I was talking about earlier is almost finished. Because I thought it was a bit hard, I added some clues to each painting (it consists of five paintings, by the way) to help you on your track. It should be fairly interesting to see how it pans out--since the actual process of getting it to work was kind of arduous.

On the subject of Level 2, the loading time is much more refined than that of level one. Framerates, too, are better. There's only one point of slowdown (the bathroom), but even there it's only noticable if you crouch and look in a very specific direction (towards one of the toilet bowls, I think).

Oh, and Antimatter--like I said ealier, if you expirience the darkness problems, then remember you can still use "<" and ">" to adjust it. The next demo will have a greater ambience so you don't need too--I just tend to cater for my monitor and not other peoples, hence the reason it's so dark (and apparently even the screenshots are incredibly dark).

Evil has a new name. Demo out now!
brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 13:49 Edited at: 5th Jun 2006 13:51
I couldnt try the demo, it made my computer crash. I think it was too much for it to load. But still, my computer spec is

AMD Athlon 3500+

1Gb RAM

Nvidia Geforce 6600GT

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 14:02 Edited at: 5th Jun 2006 14:04
That's crazy, since I've tried it on my other PC (instead of my beautiful new Alienware), which has almost exactly the same specs:

Pentium 4 3.01Ghz

1GB RAM

NVIDIA Geforce 6600GT

Is your 6600GT PCIe or AGP? Mine's an AGP8+, so I'd find it odd that it doesn't work for you.

Post Script: And just so you know, I'm not filthy rich . I won several grand in the lottery (yay for me!), which is how I afforded that Alienware even though I had a fairly nice computer .

brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 14:51
Lucky you! The highest amount i have won is 100 swedish crowns, about 14 dollars.
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 14:56
Yeah, I was fairly happy when I found out (as in screaming wildly ). I never win things, and oddly enough, I didn't even see the draw--a friend of mine rang me up like a minute after (we shared a ticket) and he said "Oh my god! We won $10,000!". Of course, we had to split it 50/50 since that's what we did with the ticket. Dang "promises" .

brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 15:25 Edited at: 5th Jun 2006 15:25
The demo worked now but i didnt find a gun so i had to run away from the zombies. One question: How did you get the cutscene work in-game? It was very good by the way!
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 16:07 Edited at: 6th Jun 2006 07:57
Thanks, Antimatter!

So, you finished it then? It can be fairly hard without finding the gun . Since I'm super-top-secret, I'll tell you in this Code Snippet. Beware of spoilers!

While I'm doing Code Snippets, I want to give away my biggest secret that's been in front of your noses, right in the demo... Please, only read it if you've played through the level, because it's a secret that I personally really like. It even has it's own cutscene .

Long code snippet! Well anyway, hope that that livens up any player who thought they'd got all they could find in the demo. There's one more secret, which is surprising (and unintentionally) easy to find if you've got a trusty gun at your side... Happy hunting!

But anyway, Antimatter--I set up the scene as it appears in-game, all but one of the cutscenes were done in seperate maps that only included the room(s) visible in the cutscene. Then, I set up the characters (enemies and the player (who I portray as a variation of Colonel X)), and make them show animations, follow waypoints, and such things like that. Then, I use my trusty unregistered version of Fraps and record it. Then I import the clips in my aging Ulead Video Studio 7, and cut the clips as well as add the necessary "white to screen flash" that happens at the beginning and end of the clip to tell the player that they are about to see a cutscene.

Hope that helped

brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2006 00:15
No it wasnt how you made the video, I wondered how you got the cutscene work in-game. I thought the video command didnt work because of a bug.
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2006 02:49 Edited at: 6th Jun 2006 04:30
Heh. I thought that might have been what you meant .

I heard about the bug, but I'm not actually sure exactly what it is--I've only used story zones (some that only activate when you pass a certain point or do a certain thing), but I did hear using more than one becomes a problem for most. Apparently, I've got a better version of FPSC , because it works fine for me, even with more than 4 in a level.

By the way, a question--how many people read all the way through the files? Because I personally like them, but there's no use putting the major clues in them if they go unread.

Also, anybody try the secret?

You'd think that with 6995 views, I'd have gotten more feedback .

EDIT: Yes! I got the 7000th view! Go me!

Me Self
Years of Service
User Offline
Hehe Jiffy i tried the demo and it was cool , although i was stuck in the mansion with 2 zombies chaseing me for awhile
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2006 06:10 Edited at: 6th Jun 2006 07:49
Heh, cool Sunday.

One thing I like about the zombies is that they truly are relentless--once they latch on to you, you've got to really think to escape their wrath.

And, of course, the limited ammo (if you don't find the extra ammo in the secret areas) means that sometimes, like has been said, you need to run away from zombies. That's the beauty of it (and the rest of the game)--you have to make decisions fast about whether you're going to face off with the creature and use up ammo, or save it for when you're surrounded with little room to run.

Speaking of decisions, I'm coming up with some reasonably clever ideas as far as "difficulty" goes. Basically, in later levels, you may be given a choice to do something--I don't really want to give them away, but basically--say you're asked to go down a seperate path and find something--if you decide to do it (through scripts), the level will either be harder (with more enemies, because if you choose it you're obviously better at the game), or easier, depending on the situation.

So, you finished the level, Sunday? And again, anybody check out the secret I mentioned two posts ago?

EDIT: By the way, does anybody know the animation number that denotes the death animation on stock characters? I'm trying to find it (looked through them in the Manual), but had no luck.

EDIT 2: Thinking about it, Antimatter, did you finish the demo? Because to my knowledge, it's impossible to do so, because you need a gun to get passed the "fake bedroom", unless there's some way you can bypass the secret "thing".

Me Self
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes i finished the level but it took me ahwile , i like the little note thing posted in the room like you walk up to it and then it enlarges ., you know what im talking about
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2006 10:49
Thanks--I remember I found the script on these boards, and adapted it a bit to do what I wanted it to.

I really liked the idea of it--I've always been a fan of games with "Files" (must be why I crazy over RE). Of course, with the constraints of FPSC, I didn't know how to do it. So, Basically, I just made up some textures that had notes on them and made them display when you approach the respective file (either a dossier, or a small version of the note created in the amazing Signs II (purchasing III as we speak).

Anyway, those things are featured quite a lot both to drive the story and to help give clues to the puzzles found in the levels.

How many did you read (There are three)? Just want to find out who reads them, so I know how to balance out the amount of content found in them.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2006 11:54 Edited at: 12th Jun 2006 11:56
As always, apologies for the double post--but really, if I had edited the above post, it would have gone unnoticed.

Well, I spent yesterday thinking to myself "These guys haven't seen anything new from Project Luna in ages!" So, with my cleverness, a copy of Fraps, and Windows Movie Maker, I threw together a nice little trailer for PL--and it includes clips from Level 2!

The filesize is 13.64MB--fairly large, but if I'd compressed it more, a large portion of the "dark" scenes would be totally unrecognisable. It has some pretty good looking parts if I do say so myself, and you can grab it here: http://files.filefront.com/Project_Luna_Trailerwmv/;5140674;;/fileinfo.html

Think of it as a late 6/6/06 present .

EDIT: Upon testing the link, it seems that (at least for me) Firefox never actually shows the page. If this happens to you, just open another window of your browser and cut and paste the link there. After that, it should work.

Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2006 12:07
Damn. I have problems with that link. It doesn't work when I click and when I copy and paste it. I use Internet Explorer.

Intel P4 Processor 519 3.06 Ghz, 1536 MB DDR, Ati Radeon 9550 256MB
My site: http://www.freewebs.com/nigezu
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2006 13:57
That's odd, Nigezu.

Because, actually, now it's working for me by just clicking the link as normal (in Firefox, of course). I also tried it in (ugh ) IE, which also works. Hmm...

Who had the first download?

brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2006 14:44 Edited at: 12th Jun 2006 14:44
I had and it was great except from that it was too dark. I sh!it myself in the end of the trailer.
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2006 14:49
Heh, thanks Antimatter!

And yeah, I realised that it was too dark--I seriously must have some sort of super-mega-hybridly-bright monitor though, because everyone always seems to see things darker than me.

Oh well, glad you liked it. Nice to know I can scare someone . I think that the heartbeat was a nice touch at the beginning and end, no?

Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2006 15:23
Link still doesn't work with me. Strange..

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2006 15:26 Edited at: 12th Jun 2006 15:33
It's only 9AM here at the moment (got up particularly early), and I'll be out most of the day.

I'll try to upload the trailer to another site (one of the well-known ones, maybe "Savefile"?) tonight, and then post the link (provided it doesn't magically start working).

I do suggest saving yourself and downloading Firefox though .

EDIT: Woah, 9 pages, as many as the Banner Competition--except this started a year earlier .

brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2006 11:45 Edited at: 13th Jun 2006 11:46
Quote: "I think that the heartbeat was a nice touch at the beginning and end, no?"

Yes, and then BEEEP! <---(me)

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2006 11:54 Edited at: 13th Jun 2006 13:03
Heh, thanks.

I always liked having that kind of thing, and it only seemed natural to use it for that specific clip.

I've got a reasonable amount of the level going, here's hoping that I'll have something out soon enough.

EDIT: Nigezu, I managed to find the time to upload the trailer to "Save File" just now. You can reach it here, in case you still need it.

SUICID3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 22:45
Can i ask a question how did you for the trailer view a camera from behind the player.
The trailer's mint aswell well done!

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 23:27
Thanks, SUICID3!

And for the parts with the player being seperate from the camera--well, the player isn't seperate from the camera . They were shots from the in-game cutscenes--if you want to know how I did those, I'm fairly sure I gave a lengthly runout of how I did it back on page 8, after Antimatter asked me (well, sort of asked me. That wasn't the actual question, though ). Basically, I just set up a bunch of waypoints and characters, fired up Fraps, and imported them into either Ulead Video Studio 7 (for the actual cutscene) or Windows Movie Maker (for the trailer--UVS7 has horrible fades, which were the most important part).

Cal Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 09:04
Is the DEMO Out!?
Maeko
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 09:40
Did he POST it yet?

Give a man some bullets, and he'll want a gun. Give a man a gun and he'll be giving away the bullets!!
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 10:12
Cal Man, Level 2 isn't out yet (and won't be for a while, I'm a "tweak freak", so I go a bit over the top as far as getting things right goes.

If you're talking about any demo, then yes. V4 (the latest version of level 1--yes, there are four versions) is available from the first page as is the old V2, in case you want that, too. The trailer is also available on page 8, but I'm about to update the first post so that the trailer is available from there too.

Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 17:30
Really good trailer. Have you raised ambience light? Now it was much better because you could see something.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 00:52 Edited at: 17th Jun 2006 10:27
Heh, yes, I did raise the ambient light in most of the scenes (savour some of the warehouse scenes, some of which turned out a little odd looking after compression.

And thanks, glad you liked it.

EDIT: It's possible that the old demo link is now corrupt. For the time being, I've set up one that appears to be working. If you haven't grabbed it yet and want to, get it here.

PureEvil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2006 19:55
AAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!!

i havent been posting agaIN. sorry
anyways, hows is it so far?

LOL..... my sig sucked so I DELETED IT!!!! =D
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2006 04:57 Edited at: 19th Jun 2006 11:46
Hey, PureEvil!

All is going... great, actually.

After a (completely stupid) block in progression from a puzzle that didn't seem to work, I managed to figure out it was just my stupidity and not the puzzle itself.

I've created something that I'm very excited about, but don't want to go into too much detail about--it involves an airlock, I'll give you that--and you have to restabilize the air pressure in two minutes, otherwise you... die!

Problem is, that using that many HUD images (one for every 5 seconds--24) seems to stop working after it goes to "40 Seconds Remaining". Oh well, I'll figure it out .

EDIT: Oh, dear god, no. Upon trying to open the Level 2 FPM five times, and restarting it twice, I found that the file is corrupt. What am I supposed to do? I spent weeks on that level... And even though a portion of that was testing and scripting, the design itself was important.

EDIT II: Well, it's official. Level 2 is totally gone, period.

I'll have to start over--just my luck that I don't have much free time on my hands now, either. It'll be a while before I can get things going again. Still, at least I still have the scripts and media I created for it. It's just a matter of getting the level design back up.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2006 12:00
Jiffy,
Don't feel bad.I had accomplished a good deal on my game and decided to scrap it and start over.I have one level that,for one reason or another,I have had to scrap four times.These kind of things happen.Don't let it get you down.
Think of it this way.You'll just make it bigger and better this time.Keep up the good work.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2006 12:16
Thanks, Fred.

And believe me when I say that I, too, have had my fair share of scrappings--remember, the latest demo is V4 of the game itself--V1 had six levels, all of which I scrapped.

V2 had three levels, which again, were scrapped.

V3 had one level, which was scrapped.

And now, level 2 of V4 is gone, too . Of course, this time, it wasn't my choice . But yes, you're right--now I have the opportunity to make the changes and alterations that I wouldn't have bothered with in the previous version.

That said, I don't think I'm going to start work on it again until tommorow--I simply can't face all that work at the moment.

However, I've got a new plan--the "puzzle" I was talking about before, with the airlock? I think I might actually make it a whole new level, by itself, which happens after level 2. It'll mean that part will be more interesting, and bigger (while not drawing down framerate), and also increase possibilites on level 2. But again, I'll think more about that tommorow.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2006 18:37 Edited at: 26th Jun 2006 18:40
Sorry for the double post/bump/whatever you may wish to call it, but I have a question, and some information.

Okay, here's the deal. The forced re-production of Level 2 is going much smoother than expected. I've even added a new breed of enemy that is very, very, very good. I won't tell you much about it, but I will say that although they are still zombies, they're harder, stronger, and quite possibly scarier. Having to redo level 2 could have been one of the greatest coincidences yet.

However, I'll tell you now that I "think" I'm striking a problem, so I wanted to question you about your opinions on the matter. I've always said that Project Luna will be free, and I stand by that opinion.

But.

After being reminded of CafePress, I came up with an idea. By the looks of it, PL is going to be a hefty download, right? And there is a possibility that it will have errors because of multiple cutscenes in multiple levels, right?

Well, that got me thinking. What if I still gave away the "full" version of Project Luna over the internet, but also released a Director's Cut available through CafePress?

The idea is simple--because I have a much larger reasonable limit of the size, I can do more. Much more. The "Director's Cut" would be priced at either 4.99 or 8.99 USD--depending on whether it was paper sleeve or jewel case (they are the base prices, so I don't get any profit, but I don't lose money either ). It would be in a Jewel Case or Paper Sleeve with a full color printed CD, and it would include these things (remember this is a plan, and if I do go ahead because you like the idea, it may not include all of this, but I'll do my best):

- The full Project Luna, with Password System (because I'll be able to have split .exe's)--I'd be coding this myself (most likely, heh).
- Hi-res cutscenes at full 1024x768 as opposed to the current 640x480 (and sometimes even 352x288 due to filesize)
- An multiplayer deathmatch option that you can distribute freely among your friends to play (should you actually want too )
- The insert would be a small 2-page booklet with the default controls on one page and an area (with level names and dotted lines) to write down the level passwords after you find them. Neat idea, huh?
- And finally, a special 3-or-4-level "game" that follows the story of another survivor of the "incident".

As I said, this is all theory and I'm not sure if I'll even consider doing the thing (again, this relies on feedback--if you all say "Meh, I'll just download the [hefty ] download", then that's fine. This is only to see what you guys think).

Again, I'm not doing this to make profit. If you guys like the idea and I go ahead with it, then the price would only be CafePress' base price. And remember, basically everything would be handled with CafePress--they would securly handle the transaction, send out the CD, and handle "refunds".

And one last time--this isn't for profit! You'll still have the choice of downloading the main game off of the internet for free, and I'd probably also have the multiplayer maps up for download too.

Sorry to keep badgering on, but that's it. Remember that this is up to you. If I get a ton of replies saying "No, NO! Don't do it!" then I won't. If I get a lot of them saying "Yes! YES! Do it!" then I probably will.

DieRider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 16:00
Yes do it! That actually sounds like a really good idea, and id know because ive been lurking around game forums all day long

Reflecting on half-life 1 and the blue shift expansion, mabye you could make the player know what you look like in PL original, then as you said about including a 3-4 level kinda expansion in the directors cut, mabye you could somehow see the character from the first PL or visa versa.

But hey, its only an idea!

Question chuck norris and you will recieve a fatal roundhouse kick to the head
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 12:46 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2006 12:47
Thanks for the input, DieRider!

And I agree--the cutscenes in PL show the player--maybe having him quickly run by an open door in the distance or something? Would make for an interesting parralel game...

Anyway, anyone else have some feedback on the idea?

EDIT: And why didn't the board recognise that this thread had a new post? It's been happening a bit lately...

killer gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
I like the idea

Operation M.A.R.S. And no its not medical air rescue service
Me Self
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry i havent posted in ahwile Jiff , the game is looking great since the last time i seen it good work ! .
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2006 02:55
Thanks!

I've been on hiatus for a while due to some family and personal issues, but I'm planning to get back on track now. Let's hope I have something out soon enough!

Me Self
Years of Service
User Offline
Speaking of resident evil i just beat the first one today .
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2006 11:33 Edited at: 10th Jul 2006 11:51
Cool!

Which version, RE (the original), REmake, or RE: DS? REmake is by far the best game in history as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, I must admit I've not been working on level 2 as much as I hoped--I'm quite enthralled in the "sport" of 'Scambaiting', which is basically stringing along 419 scammers and tricking them into thinking you actually believe the things they're saying and basically make them do all of these crazy things.

It's overwhelmingly fun . Anyway, I really do hope to get back to my work in FPSC soon. Let's hope I do.

EDIT: I actually just realised that I'm using the same username for myself here as I do on the Scambaiting website 419 Eater, which is noted as a bad idea. Because I can't change my name there, would you guys mind if I changed my username to... let's say, "Jiffeh", or something?

Me Self
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2006 05:51 Edited at: 11th Jul 2006 05:53
Well i beat the Original because its just classic , as far as i know i have

Re 0
Re 1
Re 2
Re 3
Re 4
Re Remake

All the other ones like Dead aim are useless and have nothing to do with the rest .

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2006 06:54 Edited at: 11th Jul 2006 06:54
just toss a pop at the end and be jiffy pop like the popcorn, but we'd still call ya jiffy in the end its all up to you really.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2006 10:40
Yes, Me Self, the Original is classic. The first game I ever yelled out of fright in--there are so many wonderful memories from that game. And the voice acting was amazing .

Jiffy Pop... heh, sounds good. I think I might just leave it for this point in time, but don't get suprised if I suddenly change it. I'm planning on getting some work done of level 2 today, let's hope I stick to it.

Jeremy252
Years of Service
User Offline
You know....I went through an earlier demo of this a few minutes ago, and maybe it's just the fact that it's 4:33 AM at the moment, but that was really creepy.
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 10:23 Edited at: 13th Jul 2006 10:23
Thanks for the feedback, Jeremy!

Being scared at the earlier version? Surprises me, since I don't have any of my special little scares or anything in it. Wait till you see the runners...

Oops.

Gamz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2006 01:32
Was that an obvious deliberate oops or a 'don't blame me if I give stuff away about the game like the runners' kind of oops?
Or am I demented and it was just an oops? That was a real bummer on the level 2 thing, but its great that your still going for it, I can't wait to see the finished (hopefully!) thing.

/.,.\-Meh? Everyone loves fat penguins!
((_ _)) Support your local Riker 9 Chapter.
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2006 09:01
It was a deliberate oops, Gamz.

I just wanted it to release something, and I wanted it to sound like you guys weren't meant to know. Hence, "oops". I'm not stupid enough to not edit it out, so yes, it was deliberate.

Anyway, I'm suddenly in the mood to get to work again. I'll see what I can do about, possibly, a quick showcase of some of the stuff you guys haven't seen yet.

Me Self
Years of Service
User Offline
Hehe Jif , some voice acting's in the game were so fake ,

but the story is kinda out of place here how it goes

Re 0

Ok that where rebbeca ends up in the mansions

RE 1

Chris meets rebbeca etc , then they complete the mission and the mansion is destroyed

RE 2

Thats were ada shows up , first mention in the RE 1 document at the end , and then leon meets claire, at the end she goes find her brother

RE 3

Now RE3 should have been code veronica but it didnt happen that way , re-3 was kinda Off-Course

Code Verica

Now this game should have been resident evil 3 because clair takes off in re2 and this is where she ends up .

then the rest are random and have nothing to do with the game but are still good .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 22:34:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 22:34:47