Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / SoulHunter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2006 12:41
now that was uber awsome. got a great feel to it and plays fairly well. excellent work.
MR elevetor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 15:11
zzzz? are U from sweden? Cuz your website ends with: .se

Im from sweden 2!!!!!!

BTW: AWSOME GAME!!!!!!!!!!!

*asså det bästa någonsin!!!!!
*: It´s like the best ever!!!!

nothing special going on....or is it...........
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2006 13:41 Edited at: 10th Aug 2006 13:43
Jepp, visst är jag från Sverige.

Thanks for your comments dudez, I´ve made a cave for level 3. But right now I´m making a model for the ommorpg!

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 02:32
Ommorpg Soulhunter?

Am I missing something?

Applyby has Flies in his Eyes.
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 03:04
Just a guess, but I think he's talking about the community open mmorpg project...

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
Achi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 13:22
Omg! this is great, keep it up, this sorta reminds me of conker's bad fur day on the n64, sure to be as big a hit too, when u complete this, im sooo buying it

zotoaster's bro.
yeah, odd!
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 20:08
Yup hawkeye is right, and here´s what I´ve made so far for that project (not soulhunter). link

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 00:31
Hey zzz,

Was this by any chance inspired by Zelda (at least Ocarina of Time)? It definatelly is more grim, but for some reason it reminds me of it.

Really good job

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 15:51
it seems like a cross between Legend of Zelda and Medeival(<--spelling???) which is brilliant. excellent
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 20:31
"Medieval" You were close.

I love this game keep it up zzz!!!

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 12:57 Edited at: 15th Aug 2006 12:59
This game was mostly inspired by the Legend of Zelda series, I just those games. It was also inspired by Rayman. Early in this thread you guys said that it looked a bit like "a nightmare before christmas", at that time I hadn´t actually seen the movie, just heard about it. So I bought it and "corpse bride", so I have to say that those movies have also inspired me, not from the beginning though.
I´ve never played medieval. Is it that psp game?

I just deleted like 100 lines of code for the camera collision, and everything became much better. I´ve also made the collision area for sh a bit taller so he shouldn´t fall through walls that are leaning down a bit. And here´s the start of level 3, a cave!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 16:18
zzz,

Well done, the very reason I bought DB was because I wanted to make Zelda games, of course I got held up in actually trying to learn to code in the first place, and nowadays, well, I can't be bothered to make Zelda games much really. I guess it's a shame, I might give it a shot. Anyway, well done, it's really good, you could sell it for lots (Collision needs some fixing up though, if you need any help with that just ask me, though it might be a little late)

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 18:26 Edited at: 15th Aug 2006 18:28
zotoaster, I tweaked the collision for both sh and the camera since the release of the demo, and it´s much better now(I´ll do my best to make it even better). Here´s another screenie from lv 3.

Attachments

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 22:41
Is level 3 in the current download?

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 16:24
nope, I just began with it.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 18:27
I have a problem...

In the first level when I climb up the seps and first meet the angel that heals me, I think I'm supposed to jump on one of those big ledges up in the air. When I try the one next to the angel place, I just collide with it and fall. What should I do?

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 14:42
cool shot good luck on level 3. Glad you got the code down some. makes it faster

Medieval started out on the ps1 where you played as this skeleton warrior brought back from the dead to help defeat the evil that you died trying to fight before in a big battle(you were shot down by an arrow before you could even fight)that is a very rough explantion as i don't really feel like going into more detail and if i did i would probably get more than half of it wrong. There is a PSP Medieval but i'm not totally sure what its about as i don't have a PSP.
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 20:22 Edited at: 17th Aug 2006 20:22
xenocythe: I have no idea what you mean.
Before you get to the angel,(where you meet the first monster) turn right and you´ll see another monster, kill him and walk forward until you see a stump, jump into the hole on the stump. I´ll add some signs there to make it easier, it´s lv1 after all.

crazy ninja: Ok. I haven´t played that game, it sounds fun though.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 23:08
I mean, what do you do after you meet the angel?

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 23:19
Just go back and continue through the hole in the stump.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 23:27
... I'll take a look

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 00:29
The game looks really nice, keep up the good work!

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking nice as always, but I had an idea, and thaught it would be great in your game. Maybe you could have special abilities like if the player collects a certain number of powerups he\she can extract all the souls within a certain distance, so if you have say 6 enimies around you you can just use that ability to kill and collect all thier souls around you in one move.
Dunno about you but I think that'll be a great addition to your already wonderful game, take it or leave it but the idea is there.

Check out my site for the latest on my games.
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 18:59
Natflash, that´s a good idea. Remember that I created an inventory for soulhunter so I already have some ideas for powerups, I just have to decide which of them that I should use.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 20:58 Edited at: 19th Aug 2006 00:09
I just tested your game and i have to say the quality wasnt so good.. but hey who sais the graphick makes game.. me not.. Very good game and reminds me from n64 games

btw how did you make the real life scenes?

You singature was removed by mod because it was too cool..
Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 23:58 Edited at: 19th Aug 2006 00:01
Cloudef, you've been here for a while now so you should know that graphics are the only setback to indie development, the quality of the graphics for this game are simply amazing when you consider the facts that it is created by just One person in Dark Basic Classic. Sure it no Jak II or Rayman 4, but it is what it is, one of the best DBC (or DBPro for that matter) games ever created.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 00:10
I know this is simply a amazing project.. lol and zzz is doing it alone (if i heard it right)

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 01:12
I wish i had as many posts as you.
Anyways, im glad to see that you have been able to do all this, good luck.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 15:10 Edited at: 19th Aug 2006 15:10
Quote: "one of the best DBC (or DBPro for that matter) games ever created."

Wow, do you really think so? Thanks!

Quote: "btw how did you make the real life scenes?"

Do you mean the short cutscenes? If that´s what you mean, I just break from the main loop and let the program go to another loop were I have code for camera movement. It´s very simple, maybe there´s a tutorial somewhere?

Here´s some improvements for lv1, signs in the forest and a bridge in the beginning:

Attachments

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 15:18 Edited at: 19th Aug 2006 15:20
Hmm.. Can you increase the speed of grab animation when char is fallin near the edge?

And the real-life scenes i know that going in to new loop i'm using it too.. But did you move the charas on program with waypoints.. or did you just play animations

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Wow, do you really think so? Thanks!"

Yeah, thats not flattery; the games right up thier with Star-Wraith and Firewall series.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 02:41
Looks amazing, zzz! I like the improovements to level 1. Level three looks pretty cool from what I've seen. Will it be longer than the other 2 levels?

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 11:37
Sorry if it has already been mentioned but what level editor do you use?

And yes, this is definately one of the best ever DB(C/P) game ever.

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 12:58
Yes zzz this is one of the best db games ever made. This is one of the first things i check when i come to the forums(usually). nice improvments on lvl 1. Pear!
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 20:17
Thanks, 4 the comments guys!
BizarGuy: Yes, I´ll try to make it longer, twisted paths and towers maybe.
andrew: I use magic world, and then I use my own scripted converter to make the loading time a little bit faster.
CrazyNinja: Thanks for the pear, dude! Look how happy I am!>

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 01:04
Still at this eh?

It's looking more and more polished everytime

here's another pear

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 03:36
Very very nice, zzz! I'm impressed with the level or work you've put into the game. Any chance of another demo any time soon? I'd say sticky this one, it's definately a high quality wip.

Bio Fox...four guys, one computer, games like nobody's business.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 13:10
I remember that program! I used it right up till it started not loading files properly. But your own loading system probably fixed that. Well I never managed anything so good in it so great work!

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 13:57
Quote: "I'd say sticky this one, it's definately a high quality wip."
Agreed, although it might be better to make a new thread because this ones kind of cluttered and if read the beginning it looks like he is just a noob.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 18:26
This doesn't really need a sticky, although it is definitly worth one. What I'm interested in seeing is it finaly show up in the newsletter with the next demo...

eek
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow it looks amazing. I'm not sure why I haven't paid more attention to Soul Hunter. It looks amazing!
Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 18:08 Edited at: 27th Aug 2006 23:01
I know you released the latest demo some time ago but I thought I'd share my opinion.

In a nut shell, it was very good but endlessly fraustrating.

Firstly, the Tutorial. Very, very good. The tutorial was to the point and informative. However, there was one box, after the shield part, about the status bar. This box was far to cramped with information. The text was very small and hard to read. Maybe split this one in two, or maybe four (one for each piece of information) boxes?

The jumping is the biggest weakness. The first task was far too unforgiving. The jumps aren't really powerfull enough to feel like you're going anywhere. I had a game over and several other deaths before I could complete that task. I found jumping to be a chore rather than entertaining. Also, in places there are steps. Maybe soulhunter can run up the steps instead of having to jump?

The camera is much better now, however it's still problematic. The autocamera is mostly fine, but in places it doesn't allow the greatest view (sometimes you can't even see the character). So I switch to the mouse camera, and usually I get the view I want. So far so good. You've offered an alternate camera for when the autocamera can't fix into the best view. However, the mouse camera is far too sensitive. I find that if I move the mouse slightly before a jump, he suddenly turns with the camera and buggers off in the opposite direction. If the camera was a bit less sensitive, and the jump a bit more powerful, it would be easy to correct any mistake like this before landing. It would be far more forgiving and needless game overs can be avoided.

The combat is great. Animations are fantastic and I enjoyed fighting the few enemies I encountered before I gave up (more on this later).

[removed pics at request]

I know you're already aware of this problem but when I restored the program the black bars flickered.

I'd love to give more crit on the demo, but unfortunately this is as far as I got. I just had no idea where I should go next. This is mainly because it is so dark that I couldn't view my surroundings properly, but if you want to keep the atmosphere, maybe a map or intructions would be a way to go? Or maybe periodic torches lining the path? I tried jumping onto some nearby ledges but we've already established that I'm not very good at that.

Basically, It's very good. I sound harsh because it was very fraustrating and I tend to get a bit angry when I get fraustrated with platformers. There isn't actually that much wrong with it at all, it's just very unforgiving to newcomers. I would love to know where to go next though...

IceBound Melodic rock/metal band with loads of lead guitar, clean female vocals, and more guitars! What more could you want?
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 19:04 Edited at: 27th Aug 2006 19:10
Thanks for the comments Bahamut! If you had read the previous pages you should´ve known that most of the problems you listed are fixed.

Quote: "here was one box, after the shield part, about the status bar. This box was far to cramped with information."

That box looks like this now:

Then the jumping, the platforms in the beginning are replaced with a bridge. And I´ll take a look at the power of the jump, although I think it´s good.
Quote: "Maybe soulhunter can run up the steps instead of having to jump?"
Good idea, we´ll see if I implement that...

Quote: "The camera is much better now, however it's still problematic. The autocamera is mostly fine, but in places it doesn't allow the greatest view (sometimes you can't even see the character)."

Making camera collision for a 3rd person game is a pain in the 4$$, although I have made it a little bit better since the demo.

Quote: "I find that if I move the mouse slightly before a jump, he suddenly turns with the camera and buggers off in the opposite direction."
Soulhunter´s movement is always relative to the angle of the camera. If you press the left button, he always walk to the left, if you press right he always walk to the right and so on, just like sm64.

Quote: "The combat is great."

Thanks!

Quote: "I know people have already mentioned this, but I took some screenies of where the big boxes appear."

The blocks should be fixed, i think they appeared because ATI gfx cards didn´t support the colour texturing method I used to make them invisible.

Quote: "I know you're already aware of this problem but when I restored the program the black bars flickered."

That´s a bug within dbc, I have now changed the game so the black bars are switched off by default.

Quote: "Or maybe periodic torches lining the path? "

Lol, check the previous page!

Thanks for your crit, Bahamut!
Maybe you could you remove those large pictures, please? They´re taking up quite much space.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2006 21:46
Umm, bump?

Hello... where'd you go zzz? How's Soul hunter doing?

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2006 14:18
my thoughts exactly...
Come back zzz!! don't fall asleep!!!

____ ____ ____ ___ _ _ __ _ _ __ _ _ ____
|___ |--< |--| /__ Y | \| | | \| ___| |--|
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2006 20:03 Edited at: 7th Sep 2006 21:27
Well, I got pretty tired of seeing soulhunter´s face, so I began working with another game (the one with the viking). So I´ve been working on that instead, I implemented Internet play and then I rewrote a big part of the main code to make it run smoother (still the viking game).
Then I got tired of that so I began to play around with PHP a bit.
Maybe it´s time to go back to soulhunter now?

Edit, some quick screenies:

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2006 21:05
yes, it is.

OR WE WILL HUNT YOU DOWN, AND LYNCH YOU!

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2006 19:24 Edited at: 18th Sep 2006 19:25
Zzzzz... Man, I´m getting bad at posting here.
New screenie, not much progress since last post...

Attachments

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2006 00:10
zzz, what's happening? You were going strong for awhile. Just keep plowing at this project, it's looking great, you just need to give it a boost. Don't give up, or people might get alittle desperate cough Peter cough

Bio Fox...four guys, one computer, games like nobody's business. Join our forum: http://biofox.aceboard.com
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2006 00:25
Yeah, PLEASE work more on this... it is so awesome...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 12:33:33
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 12:33:33