Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / SoulHunter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 13:19
@axeon:
It´s about 9800 lines, but I have been bad at removing old code. I just REM´d it.
I´m not good at scrapping old things, no matter if it´s digital or real.

WII number: 8220 5043 6939 7393
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 22:23 Edited at: 16th Oct 2007 22:26
New Demo Available!
Soulhunter.info.se
4 levels, 1 boss and 1 new sword.

It´s a 45MB .rar file. You can download Winrar for free at http://www.rarlab.com.
Please read the README.txt and the Credits.txt files.

Please post bugs that you encounter and your system specs.
I would also like to know if ati-gpu users still can see big white boxes in-game.

Enjoy!

demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 22:49
Woah! I really should start browsing the WIP boards... I found Dream and SoulHunter on one day - it's like Christmas!

http://jamesmason01.googlepages.com/index.htm
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 23:40
Downloading now!!!!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2007 00:08
Downloading now! I'll get back to you to tell you just how amazing it is later! Lol!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2007 00:09
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHAOFNEVNSI!!!!!!!11 NWKD AWEINJS>>>>WEFPL...!!!!!11

[dies of happiness]

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2007 00:35
So awesome, the music, the worlds, characters, cutscenes, weapons... all amazing. I love how you grab on the edge if you almost fall, how you can slam down your sword after you jumb, how the music and atmosphere blend perfectly.

Now, for my criticism.

-Enemies move slowly, so does the character. I feel like every things just slow, but this might be my fault rather than yours.

-Camera controls are great, but wasd movement could be smoother.

-The main menu could be more obvious in what you can do. I didn't realize at first that you could arrow up and down (the menus are cool otherwise).

-The health meter is not clear at all, I have no idea how much I'm hurt.

Lots of progress and all of it amazing, keep it up, zzz!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2007 03:03
*Happiness*

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2007 03:12
Awesome. I liked how I didn't know which way to go in the third level, as I ended up exploring a bit and found some cool stuff. I got to the boss fight and was a bit surprised at how easy it was. But then at the second part I had no clue what to do. The lots of red on the screen was nice when I was really hurt, and I thought the soul game was interesting. But when I beat the rim reaper dude, I came back up to the surface and got a runtime error 99. The music fit in really well everywhere.

Enemy-wise, I didn't mid the movement speed very much, it work for this game I think. But the fact that all the enemies have almost identical ai and just run at you is kind of disappointing. It wouldn't be that bad if the baddies didn't start just running at you when you got near them though, and a few times I was trying to get a baddie to follow me and they just fell asleep because I got too far away. I think it would have been awesome if you could sneak up on or around enemies. My biggest problem with the enemies though was that a few times I tried to drive them into the mist, but somehow they few over to me. This also always destroyed the advantage I had when I was above them. I would be over a baddie, ready to charge down at it, and suddenly it would fly through the air above me. There was also something weird with the collision, where when you were to close to an enemy neither its attacks or your seamed to do anything but make noises (It might have just been my attacks).

I agree the the health meter is confusing. The circle should get smaller as well as turn when you lose health. I think it already does, but not very clearly. I was having someone else play at one point, and they accidentally hit the windows key. The screen started flashing like crazy, and wouldn't stop.

Another thing- the dude you're following give you a map, but you never see it! And the levels are designed so you don't need one. I'd recommend making the forest a bit easier to get lost in, as well as adding a map to the top right hand corner of the screen.

And my final and biggest complaint, the save doesn't do anything! When we went back to the main menu and reloaded the first game, it was back at the beginning. And when I got the runtime error, I had no saved game. Is it supposed to save automatically? If not, you should put a save option in the pause menu.

Overall amazing. There's something to Soulhunter that makes it a DB classic. I really like the fact that I actually died. I'mz hopin' da 3 slotz in da IteMz menU will bee fUl?

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2007 03:49
Lets start with critics:
* I was a bit annoyed with the Game Over thing. Mainly because clicking, pressing any button, well, nothing helped.
* The near-death red was too bright. Couldn't see anything.
* I succeeded in making an AI climb a tree and leave me alone. Don't know how or why.
* Lost track of where I was too often.

Plusses:
* Feel, style, music, atmosphere, it's all terrific.
* Controls were fluid, gamespeed is good.
* Extremely playable at this stage.

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow! The character design, texture work, music, cutscenes, attention to detail in the environments... it's all simply amazing. Some of the best I've seen. It really made me want to keep on playing, unfortunately the save feature doesn't work once you quit, so I didn't make it through the entire SoulHunter demo.

I found the controls clunky, which made it frustrating to explore the beautiful environments. Personally, I found the best camera option was mouse control. You might want to try making that default and having the player face the same direction as the camera. It will make the character more controllable, and the platform elements easier. Maybe make movement slightly faster.

I'm definitely looking forward to the complete game, if only to see what other characters you can come up with, zzz.

The Grim Reaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2007 05:10
Really great! you can tell the time put into this game! I love the graphics style, and the cutscenes remind me of Zelda
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2007 11:15
Well I've only had 10 minutes or something to play so far so I've only just about to go into the house with the crazy guy who gives you a candle (if I remember rightly from the last demo!). However, the game seems most excellent as expected apart from a number of areas where the camera becomes quite unbearable and several odd collision problems where I have disappeared through an object and the only way out was to jump through the top. However, I haven't been able to recreate any of them so I'm not sure what exactly the problem is. More response when I've had time to play more.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2007 16:33
OK. Well I can't work out the boss at all. Every now and then a message flashes to tell me to hold the sword button to pick something up but there is nothing to pick up that I can see. Also, don't know what everyone is talking about with the save not working. Works fine for me.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2007 16:42 Edited at: 17th Oct 2007 16:47
Oooh, comments!
I´ll try to answer the most of them.
First I have to tell you (most of you have already noticed) that the AI sucks. It´s pretty much the same AI as the one in the very first(!) demo.
It has now reached the realm of ultimate spaghettification and enemies will happily climb trees because they don´t know better. It WILL be rewritten, it´s just a matter of when.

Quote: "But when I beat the rim reaper dude, I came back up to the surface and got a runtime error 99"

Strange, it didn´t happen for me. Did it happen several times?

Quote: "agree the the health meter is confusing. The circle should get smaller"

That´s a good idea!

Quote: "accidentally hit the windows key. The screen started flashing like crazy, and wouldn't stop.
"

That might be windows-related, because that does not occur on my vista machine, on my xp machine however, all vertices goes crazy when hitting the windows-key.

Quote: "And my final and biggest complaint, the save doesn't do anything!"

What!?
When you reloaded the game did you choose "play" or "load". Did you save in the pause menu by clicking continue(as said in the readme)?
I also forgot to mention, in the demo you can´t save when you battle the boss...

Quote: "Another thing- the dude you're following give you a map, but you never see it!"

The maps will be used to show what level you´re on, which means I´m going to make a new pause menu which lets you: save,quit,continue,select item, see the map and several other stuff. This menu is not made yet.

Quote: "I'mz hopin' da 3 slotz in da IteMz menU will bee fUl?"

??

Quote: "The near-death red was too bright. Couldn't see anything."

Yeah, I´m thinking of just having a red gradient in the corners of the screen.

Quote: "You might want to try making that default"

Yeah, I actually never use the default one.

Quote: "odd collision problems where I have disappeared through an object and the only way out was to jump through the top. However, I haven't been able to recreate any of them so I'm not sure what exactly the problem is."

The problem is old crappy code.

Things like bad AI, collision problems as such, won´t probably get fixed until all levels are done, else I just end up coding them over and over again(that might be educational, but I don´t wanna).

Thanks for trying the demo!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2007 16:55
Ah, OK. Worked out what it was. If you die against the boss and then use the souls to save yourself, his chains and glowing ball are missing or at least invisible. I managed to make him fall over 3 times which I assume meant I was grabbing his chains. Then he made motions as if he was pulling them off I guess and I'm stuck again! Lol!

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2007 17:12 Edited at: 17th Oct 2007 17:42
Quote: "invisible"

oops! I´ll fix that, thanks!
Edit: Fixed!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2007 18:16
Lol! That was quick! Another one for you, if you jump just before a cutscene, at least the one where the weird creature tells you you're near the 2nd map, the cutscene plays out with soul hunter in the air!

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2007 19:18 Edited at: 17th Oct 2007 19:21
It sounds quite cool.
I´ll fix it anyway.

Edit: Fixed.

cyril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2007 23:39
zzz this is the best dbc game I've played,
I got a frame rate count of 20 avenage,29 the highest,
13 the lowest.
however on the 3rd level boss arena had a gap
I jumped through, because I had low life and after I
got reseted at the last checkpoint, I worked
my way up but the boss arena but a wall blocked the
way so am stuck.I made the camera clip the wall in
this screenshot.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Aralox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2007 00:46
ARRGH we chose the best time to use up all our bandwidth! im never going to get this game fast enough at dialup speed!

*mutters under breath*

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2007 05:27 Edited at: 18th Oct 2007 05:29
i gave it a once-through and:

Quote: "I would also like to know if ati-gpu users still can see big white boxes..."

no white boxes here. there are some (slight) graphics issues (presumable where objects are overlapping) where i get small "hash-marks" at some seams but very minor/did not detract from the over-all much.

after about 5 minutes of mumbling "this game needs mouse-look!" with some expletives mixed in here and there i remembered the "C" key... thank you. and, my apologies for any ill-will that made its way to you :/ also, someone mentioned a desire to have the player face the same way as the mouse. i THINK it's in there as when i tapped the upkey (i think it was) the player did face the camera direction.

beautifully haunting feel to the game. quite submersive and overall fun! i did "get stuck" on the way to the graveyard... i saved the game as i approached the 3 baddies, killed them and proceded to.. >>spoiler ahead!>>

so, i wandered a bit, near death, and passed next to the save point which apparently auto-saved and overwrote my "safe place" game-save, leaving me "stuck" at near-death and frustrated...

anyway, i'll give it another go but seems that auto-saves shouldn't meddle with real game saves (?)

otherwise, good stuff here! thanks for the demo.

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2007 17:18
Quote: "auto-saves shouldn't meddle with real game saves (?)"

They don´t, the stones are just checkpoints on which you´ll reappear if you fall or drown.

Quote: "someone mentioned a desire to have the player face the same way as the mouse. i THINK it's in there as when i tapped the upkey (i think it was) the player did face the camera direction."

I don´t remember adding something like that, it´s a great idea though, thanks to the one who wrote it first.

Quote: "beautifully haunting feel to the game. quite submersive and overall fun!"

That´s great, thanks!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2007 18:54
I would really HATE it if the SH always faced the same way as the mouse. Most of the jumping puzzles are a lot easier if you put the camera to the side. The mouse movement and camera system you're using right now are much more professional than having the character always face the same way as the camera. It doesn't even make sense to do that, because as soon as you push the forward key, you face that direction anyways instantly.

If you're going to make the camera and movement better, make the camera smarter. Don't let it zoom in too close to SH. when it gets say halfway there, have the camera stop zooming or turning as though it's hitting the wall. Or something like that. If it were me, I'd have multiple camera alterations, and have the camera adjust slightly based on what camera trigger is used in what area.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2007 20:29 Edited at: 18th Oct 2007 20:56
Quote: "I would really HATE it if the SH always faced the same way as the mouse"

I was more thinking of adding a button that centered the camera.

edit: sig test

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2007 22:13
I'm probably being a complete idiot but how are you supposed to kill the boss? Please put me out of my misery!

demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2007 01:06
Haha you can tell that your project's going right when people are asking you for a walkthrough

http://jamesmason01.googlepages.com/index.htm
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2007 04:07
Quote: "I was more thinking of adding a button that centered the camera."

Oh, that would be fine.

Nice sig. ----!

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2007 04:57
This game looks amazing! Not sure if anyone has asked this before, but how did you achieve the sword trail/slash effect?

Junkrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2007 09:07 Edited at: 19th Oct 2007 09:33
Lol I can't play it cause im on my Mac, but its good to see people are enjoying the game and especially the music!

*shamelss plug*
If you want music similar to soulhunter's in your game my horror music pack has just had a price reduction check the music forum

Keep up the good work zzz! let me know when u need some more music.

DaZ

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2007 06:03
Quote: "Quote: "auto-saves shouldn't meddle with real game saves (?)"
They don´t, the stones are just checkpoints on which you´ll reappear if you fall or drown"

i must have actually saved the game then cause it's the only save game i have. ah, well. and, i know you'll flesh out the save game feature (vs esc+continue) so non-issue. thanks for clearing it up.

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2007 20:16 Edited at: 21st Oct 2007 21:42
I just got the newsletter telling me about the demo.

I downloaded it and played it, but I am stuck in the demo level.

I have already played way past there before, but either the controls have changed, or I'm just not as lucky as I was before.

The graphics are beautiful, but the controls and camera collision really need a lot of work. I was trying to climb the platforms after the tunnel part (early in the demo level), but I just couldn't. I tried for a while until I got stuck in the platform, and the camera would just keep moving and turning and stuff.

The controls can be unresponsive at times, and the camera collision makes it really hard to do some parts if your back is to a wall.

Maybe you should make the camera back up into the level, and make that part see-through? Or in certain parts of levels where you would be making jumps where something will be right behind the player, you could make the camera back off some to the side, so you can actually see what is happening.

Instead of making the graphics more beautiful, I think you should work in making the game more playable.

Sorry if I was a little harsh

Hmm... Maybe I should try changing the camera point of view. I should have thought of that before.

But maybe, in certain points in the level, the game should be scripted to automatically change the camera point of view, so the player doesn't have to do it manually.

Edit: Ok, I tried the mouse-controlled camera, and I got to the end of the first level. It is a lot easier that way, but it was still a little hard to control. The camera kept moving too fast. And when I got to the final battle in the first level, on top of the big tower, I was still going up the platforms when the monster came down and I had to fight it on the tiny platform. Maybe you should keep the monster up at the top?

EDIT: Nevermind! I wasn't aware of how aweful and dated my computer was when I was playing it. I will write up a better post later. I am using a much better computer to play it at the moment.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2007 04:45
I figured out how the save worked, so I'm fine with that now. But in future versions you might want to make a option actually called save, or at least make the continue button say save and continue.

THIS COULD BE A SPOILER, SO DON'T READ IT IF YOU AREN"T TO THE BOSS YET!!!
I just can't figure out how to beat the second part of the boss fight. The first part is straightforward enough, especially if you've played twilight princess. But no matter what I try in the second part, nothing seems to work. And because I get a runtime error 99 on every machine (all with xp, mind you) when I die and beat death, I have to re-load the last save to try again. I'm pretty frustrated with it because the second part of the fight seems to have no clues as to beat it. I've tried everything from attacking the sphere with my weapons and candle, I've tried reflecting the shots he shoots as well as the giant ball with the shield and by swinging my sword at them, I've even attacked him directly with and without the ball. I even managed to get in his arms for a bit and give him a few good swipes with the sword. I've searched the arena, but if there's anything there to help me beat him I can't find it. Does it have something to do with the tree? Anyways, I really want to beat him and see the next level, and I'm rather concerned that the second part of the first boss battle is so hard to figure out. There really needs to be a decent clue somewhere. The chains are understandable because you can see that if you pull them he'll fall down, and there's even an on screen note of what to do to grab them. The only problem I have with that first segment of the boss fight is that the balls that make up the chain look pretty bad. If it doesn't kill the frame rate, you should replace them with low polygon 3d balls, of a darker and grayer texture. Please though, how do you get through the second segment of the fight? if I knew how, I could make some suggestions on how to make it clearer.

Again, this was a great demo, but the boss fight needs a lot of work.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2007 17:03 Edited at: 21st Oct 2007 17:04
@UFO:
Great, you got the newsletter!
Quote: "The graphics are beautiful, but the controls and camera collision really need a lot of work."

The graphics are the funny stuff, the other things just have to wait.

@Bizarguy:
It sounds like you´re doing the right thing.
spoiler:

Quote: "I get a runtime error 99 on every machine"

I have no idea how you manage to get that error?
Is there anyone else who got the same error?

Quote: "balls that make up the chain look pretty bad."

Is it because they´re plain? I thought they looked quite good.

Thanks for commenting!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2007 17:38
I'l try it again, thanks for the tip.

Quote: "Is it because they´re plain? I thought they looked quite good."

The effect is really good, but the plains keep overlapping and because everything else is so 3d, they just don't seem like a chain.

cyril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2007 18:24
I finished the demo.
by the way I got so many enemies on screen
and still get a frame rate of 20 on my
low end card ? The game runs very fast on
the first and second level.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2007 21:32
K, I beat the demo. 4th level was very nice. The only thing I can sugest for the boss fight is make the shield stop the giant ball from hurting you, but also push you back so you don't get in its way. That will also make someone more likely to try hitting it with the sword, I think.

Having two swords was great. Felt really good to beat up all those guys. Also, I died and had to fight death in the forth level and when I won I didn't get an error!!

There were a number of places in the forth level especially where the camera made it hard to figure out what to do. I have to agree that the camera should has some instances where it is moved to a spot it normally wouldn't be, that the mouse can't control (some places with a fixed camera), like where you have to jump down and can't see what's below you. In fact, because this game is made of liniar paths, you could design the entire camera to work baced on the landscape. That's a ton of work though, and some people wouldn't like it. You should definitely have certain areas where the camera moves to a more viewable position though.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120- copying The-Rabbi and loving it
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2007 22:04 Edited at: 21st Oct 2007 22:04
@cyril:
Quote: "I got so many enemies on screen
and still get a frame rate of 20 on my
low end card ?"

Is that good, I don´t get it?

@bizar guy:
Quote: "You should definitely have certain areas where the camera moves to a more viewable position though"

Yeah, it´s a good idea but as you say, it´s
Quote: "a ton of work though, and some people wouldn't like it."
So it´s not a priority right now.

Quote: "and when I won I didn't get an error!!"
That makes the error even stranger...

Quote: "Having two swords was great. Felt really good to beat up all those guys"

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
@zzz:I think that is good as its on a low spec PC.

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2007 22:34 Edited at: 21st Oct 2007 22:37
I have played Soul Hunter on a better computer, and now I know how crappy my computer is. So pretty much all I said in my earlier post is because of my computer.

Suggestions/comments:

*When giving demos, have a debug mode or something. Let the player skip levels, so if they die, they don't have to play the whole game again. (I was trying to light the second and third fires in the second level, and I got really hurt, and it must have autosaved or something, so I couldn't do anything.
*Keep the monster at the very top (the end) of the first level at the top, and don't let it jump down at you while you are climbing the platforms.
*In the mouse-controlled camera view, the camera moves too quickly that it is hard to control.
*In 320*240 resolution, the text is not visible.
*Whatever you did to make the screen stop flashing, good job!
*When you are almost dead, the screen becomes way too red.

Just like the last demo, I still can't light the second and third fires in the second level. I see a sort of bridge coming out of the island, but it is under the mist. How do I make it come up? Or am I going in the wrong direction?

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 13:12 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2007 17:41
@Ufo:
1. Great idea, I´ll keep that in mind.
2. Hmm, we´ll see.
3. I think I added a camera speed setting in the options program, I don´t really know how good it is though. Maybe your mouse have a very high dpi setting or your mouse speed is more than avarage?
4. I was going to remove that resolution, I just forgot.
5. I just removed the letterbox mode, which dbc couldn´t handle.
6. This issue has been stated before, I´ll fix it.
7. Wierd, there´s only three cauldrons and you don´t have to lit them in any particular order.

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
I meant, I can't even find the other two

Good job on the game, so far

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 16:17
@Ufo:
spoiler:

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 17:11
Err, yeah. You kind of have to explore the levels to find stuff once you get past the first level, even if only slightly.

Superman wears Chuck Norris PJ's
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 19:23
Took me a while to grasp that you need more than one, by the way. Should be much, much clearer.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 21:00
@tha_rami:
Why? It has to be a bit of a challenge, also look at the stone near the bridge.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 21:19
Yeah, but there's a difference between a challenge and unclarity. I expected the bridge to rise after lighting the first one - I only discovered we needed to light more of them to raise the bridge by checking here on the forums.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 21:43
I never realized that people would miss the diagram on the stone. Maybe there should be a light pointing at it or shining down on it.

Superman wears Chuck Norris PJ's
zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 21:46
I just love this demo ! Love the atmosphere and the soul absorb effect

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 22:59
Maybe the bridge could raise a little for each cauldron, and after the first cauldron is lit you are told that there must be more cauldrons?

@zapakitul: Thanks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:09:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:09:53