Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / SoulHunter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2008 20:23 Edited at: 11th Oct 2008 20:37
Quote: "And according to Roxas last post; Soulhunter wouldn't run in Wine."

It does. But only in some occasions... I have to give my computer a big slap on the lid, and it might run then...

Quote: "But i suggest updating your Archive package using synaptic or downloading the zip file again... It does not have password!"

I have all the latest updates, but it still won`t work... Well, time to try the zip.

[EDIT]

I looked at the incredible large size of the download, and I ask myself: What is in it? Are you using PNG images or BMP images?

Are you using X models or 3DS models?

The PNG images are much smaller in size, and the X models are also smaller than the 3DS format.

Hope that makes the download smaller...

theComet

Suicide is away of telling God, You can’t fire me I quit !!!!!
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2008 00:42
Quote: "The PNG images are much smaller in size, and the X models are also smaller than the 3DS format."

Yes indeed, but dbc won't load png or jpg textures, only bmp. Other formats only work if I texture objects manually using the DBC functions. Or does a workaround exist?

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2008 12:02 Edited at: 12th Oct 2008 12:05
Quote: "Yes indeed, but dbc won't load png or jpg textures, only bmp. Other formats only work if I texture objects manually using the DBC functions. Or does a workaround exist?"

That`s weird. I think you are right. But I will do some tests, and I will come back with some results.

You can load PNG and JPG images with "load image", but you have to texture the objects manually.

I played your game. And it was... AMAZING!!!!! Keep up the good work!!

I found two bugs though:

If you start playing from the start, complete level 1, go to the second level, and enter that house where the guy gives you the candle, you will see some cubes not textured at all, just white on the way there. And when you get near the house, when you are supposed to enter, my computer crashed. The second time I tried it, the cubes were gone, and it worked perfectly...

At the start of the second level, when you head towards the first "forest imp" that is under the dome, you can jump up onto the dome. And when you fall through a hole into the dome, the "forest imp" is gone. Almost as if it fell down...

I can`t get further... I lit the fire with the candle, and now what?

Anyway, this game is incredible, good job!

TheComet

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2008 13:02
I'm glad you liked it!
The white cubes appear due to some kind of texturing error in DBC, I think it's some kind of memory leak, because it only happened to me on my old computer on which I had less RAM. Anyway, that ugly house will be replaced with some kind of tree hut(Wouldn't that be cool, a small tree dude living in a tree? Um, maybe it's just weird.)

Quote: "I can`t get further... I lit the fire with the candle, and now what?"

Try to find the other two.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2008 13:20
How did you get it to run with wine? It always gave me error that it cant create render surface.. Like in all dbc games...

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2008 14:33 Edited at: 12th Oct 2008 17:10
Quote: "Try to find the other two."

OH! Found them!! Here`s another bug in level 3: I tried to set "Vinesam" (or what you call that ugly moving plant) on fire with my candle, and it crashed my computer...

And another bug in level 2: At the very start, if you go backwards to the tree and jump a little, you suddenly hang off the edge on the outside of the level, and there is no way you can get back inside the level, so you fall and die...

Quote: "
How did you get it to run with wine? It always gave me error that it cant create render surface.. Like in all dbc games...
"

Don`t know... It just runs! I never really had a problem with running it under WINE... Can you run DBC games only with sprites under WINE?

[EDIT]
@ZZZ

Found another bug, that someone already mentioned. I tried to save and my computer crashed.

This time I could light "vinesam" without any problems. How do you make the fire? How do you make that effect when you absorb a soul? I think that is a really cool effect.

And my last question: Are you using DBC v1.13 or DBC v1.14 (also known as v1.2)?

[EDIT 2]

When that guy comes along with that beam coming out of his head, the beam goes through him sometimes. When I was fighting the creatures behind him, he backed his behind up at me, and a beam of fire came out of his behind!

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2008 17:44
Quote: "beam of fire came out of his behind!"

Yeah, it's supposed to do that in Linux. It's a special feature!

I think I have DBC 1.12, but I do have the DLL support and all that.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "ther formats only work if I texture objects manually using the DBC functions"

You mean you don't texture objects manually?! Dang, I need to learn how to do that.

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2008 19:39
I played it and got stuck at a certain part where there's a big gap I can't jump across. I lit a tree stump/cauldron thingy off to the side and don't know what else to do... any tips?
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2008 19:55
Quote: "any tips?"

Quote: "Try to find the other two."

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2008 20:20
The demo has unfortunately crashed for me several times since the saving crash. It actually crashes a lot, and most of them are consistently repeatable. I would guess it has to do with not re-creating media after loading, like sounds and things. I also got the white cubes in the tree man's hut as well. I would guess it's the same issue, not loading textures when a saved game is loaded. It's gotten to the point where I can't continue because there are too many crashes.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2008 21:27
Quote: "It's gotten to the point where I can't continue because there are too many crashes. "

Does it crash with an error? Or does it just freeze?
The media is loaded in the same way whether you create a new game or load one.
Does it work better if you restart the game and then load your saved file?
What's your computer specs? How many megabytes of RAM do you have?

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2008 11:15
Quote: "I think I have DBC 1.12, but I do have the DLL support and all that."

What? No DLL support? How do you load sparky`s collision DLL in the main directory?

Quote: "does it crash with an error? Or does it just freeze?"

With me it always freezes, and I have to restart...

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2008 12:14
Quote: "I think I have DBC 1.12, but I do have the DLL support and all that."

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2008 12:57
Quote: "Quote: "I think I have DBC 1.12, but I do have the DLL support and all that.""

Silly me...

I have a question. That boss with the red chains.

1) Did you animate the chains, or are you using physics to move them?
2) I noticed each step he makes is matched exactly with the music. Is that done on perpose, or is that just coinsidence?
3) How long have you been programming for?
Thanks, TheComet

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey I can't figure out what to do after the boss loses his chains, can you help me? Great game by the way, only complain is that it runs a little slow, but for DBC it looks amazing!

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2008 20:02 Edited at: 13th Oct 2008 20:03
Quote: "1) Did you animate the chains, or are you using physics to move them?"

I made each part of the chain to move towards the position of the parent part. Or something like that.
Quote: "2) I noticed each step he makes is matched exactly with the music. Is that done on perpose, or is that just coinsidence?"

That must be coinsidence, maybe you're being "tricked" by the step sound that plays for each step?
Quote: "3) How long have you been programming for?"

This game? Too long.

Quote: "Hey I can't figure out what to do after the boss loses his chains, can you help me?"

Quote: "it runs a little slow"

What's your computer specs?

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2008 20:13 Edited at: 14th Oct 2008 09:19
Quote: "That must be coincidence, maybe you're being "tricked" by the step sound that plays for each step?"

No, I`m sure I`m not being tricked, because it makes the step sounds when he is not moving too. So it must just be coincidence...

Quote: "This game? Too long."

No, don`t think so. All of the great games took about 2 years to make with a staff of up to 100 people, and you did almost the same work by yourself in that amount of time! It`s fabulous!!

How long have you been programming in DBC?

TheComet

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2008 23:09 Edited at: 13th Oct 2008 23:09
YES! I'm downloading the new demo now. This game is really an inspiration .

By the way I believe imprisonment is spelled incorrectly in the game description on your website. It should be an "m" not an "n". Not that it matters .

Guyra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2008 04:19
My absolute favourite game project here on the TGC forums! ^^ Keep up the good work!
Vickie
Years of Service
User Offline
It’s one of my favorites too Zzz, I like the mood and look of your
game not to mention the cool storyline! I might have gone a
different way with some of the overall layout design of the world
but that’s about it. It’s Awesome~ Thanks for sharing it with us
Zzz.

Always~
Vickie

The Real Abaddon
Years of Service
User Offline
Just a little question if may i: How did you do those effects when the player hits, i`m talking about those trails from the stick cause i want to implement something like that into my game but don't know from where to start.

Thanks.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2008 18:34
As much as I know, he used memblocks and made a few plain objects. The plain nearest the the sword is white, the one at the end is black, and then he just ghosted them all.

But I think zzz should explain it himself though, since he made it. How do you use the memblocks, zzz?

Timber Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
This started in 2005 and I only just discovered it? I downloaded the demo last night and I have to say that this is an exceptional piece of real estate. You obviously have a great grasp for level design and the art style is amazing, not to mention consistent. Everything looks like it belongs. You've also got a great eye for decoration within the levels and atmosphere. The story is also pretty intriguing.

On another note, I did experience a bug in the most recent demo: On level 3, while fighting that big guy with the sword (his first appearance), I managed to get myself killed. After successfully beating that revival mini game (I guess it can be called that) I got a runtime error: ERROR 99. not fully sure if that was the game or my computer though. I'm going to give it another run later to try and reproduce it.

I have to say, this game is truly an inspiration for my newbie self. . And on DBC too. Keep up the great work!

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2008 21:21
Quote: "I got a runtime error: ERROR 99"

Yeah, I got that one too. There are quite a bit of bugs in this demo, but that`s the hole point of the forum. It`s there for people to comment on the demo and post bugs...

TheComet

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2008 20:57 Edited at: 21st Oct 2008 21:03
Hi,
I have started playing and have something to say.

1) he game has improved in collision and in battle appealing. The battle system help this so the game is more robust. I like the red when you get hit and things like that.

2) Characters have better animations making interaction with the game sand the player better. You sure kept an eye on this, because it fits very well in game.

3) In the fire part i think you should add a puzzle reading like: "when the three are lit the path will rise", or something like that.

I found a different bug from what the other people has found.

In the candle part of the game when you have to light 3 barrels. There is a problem with saving and loading. When i load the game there, the barrels fire looks like corrupted. I atached the saved game so you can look into it.

Thanks for sharing with us this great game.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2008 21:47
Thanks for the comments!
I've got quite a lot going in school right now, so I haven't been able to work anything on soulhunter. As far as I understand the error 99 always occur after defeating the death-minigame?
I played your savefile Alfa X (loaded it with the demo exe), but everything looked just fine. What do you mean by corrupted? I lit the other cauldrons and the bridge rose.

By the way, does anyone remember my "planetoid/cosmo"-experiment? Anyway, I've resurrected it! I've been working on it as a school project for a while. All previous DBP code has been converted to c++ and it's running very smooth. Since I've implemented classes into it, I'm now experimenting with shooting projectiles into orbit. Pretty funny actually!

Vickie
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Zzz, what did you build your level with? Did you use a modeler or a tool like a level builder?

Thanks for the info,

Always~
Vickie

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 00:03
I read through all of the posts and he once said, that he used 3DS MAX. But I am not sure if he changed...

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 03:26
Well I finally got around to downloading a demo of this game. And after about a 30 minutes of play so far, I'm not really sure how I feel about it.

I love the look, feel, and overall mood of the game. I think the characters are original and awesome. I think the game has a polished look from the menus, dialogue, levels, efx, music etc...

But I'm not so sure about the gameplay at this point. I had a hard time with the autocam, even on the first level where you cross the bridge. It just didn't feel smooth to me. I felt like I was fighting which direction I was going. Then when I was fighting the first 2 smiley's I sank into the edge of the terrain and the camera went berzerk. I could tell I was getting hit, but I thought I was hitting them too. Trying to get out of the corner and turn around felt more difficult than it needed to be. And when I finally did the 2 smiley's were melting into the wall/mountain border as well.

I'll have to play more obviously, but this was my first impression. The game is better than anything I have created, but I guess I was expecting more.

"When I look at that square... I wish FPSC noobs would stay on their side of the forums and stop polluting these boards." - Benjamin
Waterdrop
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, zzz!

I must download this game, zzz. The screenshots look really cool, and the videos are really good too. Wow, I have never seen such a good game before!

Waterdrop

I love programming
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 18:11
@Vickie:
I'm using 3dsmax for all my 3d content.
The levels are then assembled in magicworld.

@Zenassem:
You can control the camera with the mouse(default key: 'c') if you don't like the auto-cam.
Quote: "The game is better than anything I have created, but I guess I was expecting more."

I understand, at least it's free!

@Waterdrop:
Thanks!

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 18:32
@zzz

I'll try using the mousecam later, that may make all the difference.

~zen

"When I look at that square... I wish FPSC noobs would stay on their side of the forums and stop polluting these boards." - Benjamin
Waterdrop
Years of Service
User Offline
ZZZ!!!

You STOLE my game!!! I created this game, why did you steal it and call it you`re own?!?!!?

You should be BANNED from the forum!!!!!!!!!

You are soo MEAN... T-T

I HATE you >.<

Waterdrop

I love programming
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 15:05
So you joined these forums on October 24th this year, and zzz stole your game that has been in development since at least November 2005?

I think you'd better come up with a better story than that, or it won't be zzz that's facing a ban.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 15:12
Uhm, that actually is defamatory and . I really, really think that is against the law. This game started production over two years ago, and you sign up the day before yesterday to post this?

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Vickie
Years of Service
User Offline
And the Survey says: T RO L L

Don't feed the Trolls, if you feed them once they just keep
hanging around like stray cats.

Always~
Vickie

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 17:29
He's obviously some kid who's sitting laughing at his monitor now. Don't feed him with more. Just ignore him.

Alucard94, the member of the future of the past.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 17:34
Spam...

Peachy, and the Chaos of the Gems

The Real Abaddon
Years of Service
User Offline
zzz I still didn't get an answer on how did you do those trails from the stick ? maybe a little ideea so i know from where to get started ?
Thanks.
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 18:07 Edited at: 27th Oct 2008 18:10
@The Real Abaddon:
You can manipulate a mesh using memblocks. I used a simple plain that looked roughly like this:

Then I attached to dummy cubes to the sword, one at the top and one at the bottom. This way I always know the position of the sword and its tip. By manipulationg the plain's memblock I then move the upper-left vertex of the plain to the bottom dummy and the upper-right to the top dummy.

The dummy-positions are saved in an array that keeps track of the previous positions. The rest of the vertices in the plain are then positioned accordingly. You may have to learn a little about memblocks(start with image manipulation first). If you're using DBP or DGDK, I think there's a special function for vertex manipulation(I'm not sure though).
Good luck!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Vickie
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Zzz,
hey you said you use a program called magicworld, do you have a
link to that program. I have looked for it on the web but can't
seem to find it. I would like to take a look at it and see what it
is.

Thanks Zzz,

Always~
Vickie

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 19:18 Edited at: 27th Oct 2008 20:10
Complicated, but clever, zzz! Would it have been faster if you made a few plain objects, and always position the one at the end to the start again? You would have to re-colour the objects though...

Looking forward for more...

TheComet

EDIT: I went to your download site(because it looks soo cool! ) and read your text (because it sounds soo cool!! ), and found a grammatical error:

"All these years of slavery has consumed your soul.
The only thing that keeps you alive are the weak souls of the creatures that lurks in the forest.
Some might say that you have become addicted, that all those souls destroyed your own."

The only thing that keeps you alive are the weak souls of the creatures that lurk in the forest.

Keep up the good work though!

TheComet

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 20:38
@Vickie:
Here you go!
http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/?m=showcase_view&i=101
It's not that good though.

@The comet:
Wouldn't the plains overlap at one corner and create a gap at the other?
I'll fix that grammatical error, asap. Thanks!

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 21:12
Quote: "Wouldn't the plains overlap at one corner and create a gap at the other?"

They would, and I thought about that, but if you position them so they only overlap, and don`t leave a gap... they would still look stupid.

OK... but my point is, would it be faster?

Quote: "I'll fix that grammatical error, asap. Thanks!"

You`re welcome!

BTW, did you add the faster and slower sounds?

TheComet

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 21:37
Feeding trolls isn't bad, really. They go far overboard and end up banned - exactly the way I like them.

Zzz, I hereby refuse to post in your other WIP until you finish this . Just let me say it looks awesome.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Waterdrop
Years of Service
User Offline
@Alucard94
hey that isnt fair! I made this game years ago, and zzz just stole it, registered in a random forum and published it there, just to earn the whole fame...!
What do you think what is the reason for his simple name "zzz"?

Waterdrop

I love programming
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2008 01:33
Unless you can give me proof, you'd better stop accusing.
My email address is available - send me the proof. Do not post any more accusations.

If you don't give me proof, and if this turns out to be who I think it might be, then both accounts will be banned.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2008 01:40
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=138884&b=10

Yeah. You made Soulhunter, one of the best 3D DarkBASIC games on this forum, and yet you were having problems with basic .x collision 3 days ago?

And you kind of shot yourself in the foot by posting this a while back...
Quote: "I must download this game, zzz. The screenshots look really cool, and the videos are really good too. Wow, I have never seen such a good game before!"

You didn't recognize your own game even after looking at screenshots and videos?

So let's all stop hijacking zzz's thread now...

@zzz:

That's a neat idea for the trail! I'll have to remember that, there are a lot of things that techinque could be good for.
White Fang 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2008 02:08
Ok water drop if that was a joke it was funny the first time, now its abit over done. You shouldn't disrespect zzz like that he is the dbc master. and if i could i would chop open his head with a meat cleaver and eat it to gain his knowledge...

I mean have his knowledge in a non murderus sort of way

I'm a noob help will be accepted

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-25 03:11:26
Your offset time is: 2024-05-25 03:11:26