Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / RPG Engine: Geisha House. Screenshots and interface Beta test.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 01:09 Edited at: 18th Aug 2006 01:11
Cash, I found this other geisha house and man the women there were complete trash. I think I found their logo for their geisha house site... Oh yes, here it is:

hehe, boredom hath stricken.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 01:24
looks like a horror movie banner, not an action video game .

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 03:06
looks like the grudge

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 11:21
@Alquerian -
Haha. Less spooky, more sexy is what I'm going for.

Hey, I posted on Gamedev.net and I got a sticky on the first day. Go figure.

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=410043

Just fighting for the love

Come see the WIP!
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 19:16
Hah! Right on man. Nice to see others out there recognizing DBP for what it's real potential is.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
dark donkey
Years of Service
User Offline
when i tryed download it i came empty
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 10:23
Yeah, I'm definitely pimping DBP. Most of the folks there seem to be hung up on C++'s potential, but don't really have anything to show for it.

@Dark Donkey -
What link didn't work for you?

Guess what! I've got a publisher interested in Geisha House! I suppose that I'll have to change my strategy a bit. They're http://www.xinginteractive.nl/. They have retail and online sales channels, and distribution in 32 companies. Their games are so-so,

but they're a real company. This is pretty cool.

Come see the WIP!
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 13:17 Edited at: 19th Aug 2006 13:18
They published a DBC game YEARS ago. It was a fighting game...can anyone remember it? The guy does all that java games stuff and a code editor for DBP...Cant remember his name. i think he made a little off his game.

[edit] Warrior's Mind. Thats the one I remember that game now.

Good luck with it Cash you deserve it!!

Regards,
Greenlig

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 13:37 Edited at: 19th Aug 2006 13:41
Cool stuff man! Btw, don't forget that agreement we had .... remember???? by using my music you give me 90% of all profits??? and I accept none of the risks???? you don't remember that?

I'm calling my lawyer!!!!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 17:14
Quote: "Yeah, I'm definitely pimping DBP. Most of the folks there seem to be hung up on C++'s potential, but don't really have anything to show for it.
"

And modest to boot! Lol! When you have a project this good I guess you don't need to be!

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 20:24
When you are as good as cash, it isn't called EGO, it is called CONFIDENCE! Haha, congrats Cash! Your hard work is beginning to pay off! B-rate publishing company or not, it is a publisher, meaning your work is worth money. Don't sell yourself too cheap though.

D Bellis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 07:39
im realy glad to hear this ( from one RPG coder to another ) and i wish you well with your product looks very nice specialy the water shot ( but i love playing with water )

Amd Athlon 64 3000+ Newcastle , Asus K8N4-E Deluxe MotherBoard NForce ChipSet , 768MB DDR Ram , XFX Geforce 6600 Extreame Edition 512MB DDR2 Ram , WinXP Pro SP2
Unity,DarkLights,DarkAI
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 09:14
@greenlig -
Quote: "Good luck with it Cash you deserve it!!"

Thanks! It's good to hear that they've published someones work before too.

@Fallout -
Quote: "I'm calling my lawyer!!!! "

I'm calling my thugs Seriously though, after I've repaid my wife for everything she let me buy, I'm going to profit share with my key helpers, and that's definitely you. Your music really gives the game personality. I don't suppose you have any other songs lying around? I'll catch you on MSN later.

@andrew neale -
Quote: "And modest to boot! Lol! When you have a project this good I guess you don't need to be!"

Haha. I hope I never come across like a jerk though. I do have a tendency to be a bit confident.

@Alquerian -
They're actually a decent company. They've got shelf space in places like Wal Mart and CompUSA. I guess their games are a bit lower on the commercial spectrum than the big boys, but my game should get a good chance. My game will be next to "Pac Man Attacks" on the discount bin, but that's okay with me

@D Bellis -
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with my world environmentals and their speed. Much faster than shaders, and they look pretty good. No reflection, of course, but I'm happy without that.

Come see the WIP!
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 10:06
haha yeah that one isn't the greatest game, but hey it's good to see companies backing hobby coders!

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 12:57
@Cash

Hell no! I don't want any moolah for the music. I only spent one evening on that and it was good for my portfolio anyways. You've spent months on this so to give me a fair wage for my work efforts compared to yours, if you shifted 1000 copies, I'd probably deserve $2! All I ask for is a place to hide when the IRS catch up with me. A basement or a cupboard will do fine.

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 22:47
Congratulations Cash!

That is some very promising news for this community as well.

Open MMORPG: It's your game!
Medieval Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Congrads cash!
Mabye this will show all coders (DB,DBP,C++,C,Java, etc.) that there is no real difference between them but their determination.

Hey fallout, do you make your music by "hand" or in a program?

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 23:36
Warrior's Mind wasn't a good game and I don't remember how it went.

Congrats Cash Let us know how things goes with that publisher. If things go well there's hope for the rest of us to be published by them.

BTW, did you contact them or did they contact you?

Elite Gaming
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 23:41
I've been meaning to post in here for ages! The game looks really good, obviously alot of hard work has gone into it.

Congrats on the publishing deal - you deserve to get something out of this! Just downloading your demo now whilst my head is free of physics programming from my game.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 00:20
I haven't posted in a while either, but congrats on that publisher, I hope you sell loads of copies!

There are three types of people, those that can count and those that can't.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 02:56
congratz Cash!! When this is released I'll look for it in my local wal mart! Very impressive, you've got a publisher and you're not even done!

So, how big a game do you think this will turn into?

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 03:46 Edited at: 21st Aug 2006 03:48
@Fallout -
Quote: "Hell no! I don't want any moolah for the music."

Hmm... my thugs will bring you the check

@RiiDii -
Thanks! Yeah, definitely good news. I guess it really just takes some hard work, plus a small bit of your soul and sanity. It's been a while since the community has really produced something, so this is definitely good.

@Medieval Coder -
Quote: "Mabye this will show all coders (DB,DBP,C++,C,Java, etc.) that there is no real difference between them but their determination."

You know, when I posted on Gamedev.net, I halfway expected to get blasted and called a noob. I don't think that they see many games as complete as mine over there. The reactions to Dark Basic have been surprisingly good. I think it would have been totally different if I didn't have progress to show.

@EliteGaming -
Quote: "I've been meaning to post in here for ages! The game looks really good, obviously alot of hard work has gone into it.
Congrats on the publishing deal - you deserve to get something out of this! Just downloading your demo now whilst my head is free of physics programming from my game."

Glad you finally made it! Be careful of that demo, a lot has changed. I'm considering taking it down because so many of the core libraries in it are outdated. Just don't take it too seriously, it will just give you an idea how inventory, books, and magic work.

@Digital Awakening -
Quote: "Warrior's Mind wasn't a good game and I don't remember how it went."

Hopefully people like Geisha House You'll see me working at Subway if not.

Quote: "BTW, did you contact them or did they contact you?"

They contacted me in response to my Gamedev.net post. I guess I came to the party right.

And there's always hope. If there weren't, far fewer of us would be doing this.

@Diggsey -
I sure hope so too!

@Bizar Guy -
Quote: "congratz Cash!! When this is released I'll look for it in my local wal mart! Very impressive, you've got a publisher and you're not even done!"

Look for "Pac Man Attacks!" and "Bring it On 4, The Video Game!", it should be right next to those But not for long, because people will scoop them up! Maybe I'll rob a bank and tell people to buy my game when I'm on camera.

Quote: "So, how big a game do you think this will turn into?"

Not a lot will change. Size wise, it will be around 200 mb. Playability will be around 10 hours or so. Sadly, I can't cut any corners now, I'll have to add every single feature I was going to save for later.

I kind of feel like a kid from the ghetto that just got a scholarship. I've got the scholarship, but I'm not at college yet

My plan has always been a good one. Even if I don't make a dime (I sure hope I can make enough to repay my wife for all of this drama), my RPG editor will definitely make me some money. And regardless, this is great on my resume.

And none of this would have been possible without this community's support. Not only do I have a ton of talented help on this game, but everyone here really made learning this crazy programming language a breeze.

Come see the WIP!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 04:29
Cash:
Quote: "And there's always hope. If there weren't, far fewer of us would be doing this."

Well, I'm developing games because it's more like I have to. If I didn't put my ideas into code I would go nuts

I gave your demo a go and it got some good stuff like the magic menu and some of the magic effects. My mouse wheel is broke so I can't change the camera and I don't like the default angle If you want an adjustable camera I suggest doing it like WoW and if you want it fixed then Titan's Quest has a nice angle.

Moving objects around and using spells seemed unresponsive and didn't work all the time. I also encountered a bug where the player was locked in the walking animation.

BTW, using the image from "Memoirs Of A Geisha" for the logo isn't the best of ideas. I don't think Sony Pictures would aprove.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 04:35
Quote: "Moving objects around and using spells seemed unresponsive and didn't work all the time. I also encountered a bug where the player was locked in the walking animation."

All fixed The unresponsiveness is actually caused by a bug with object bounding boxes when you clone them. So, sometimes their sizes are wrong internally. It works great now. And I didn't use my real animation libraries in that demo, so that's not even a problem in the real version.

The camera angle is totally adjustable too. I'm going to add 1st person as well.

And you are totally right about that logo. I chose that when this game was going to be free. It was a fast and compelling image. I'm looking for an artist to make me some new art

Come see the WIP!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 07:40 Edited at: 21st Aug 2006 07:41
Quote: "looking for an artist to make me some new art "

hmm,

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 07:52
What are your thoughts, Bizar Guy? I've got a couple of people from Gamedev.net, but I'm waiting for their Geisha House samples before I say I have anybody. I don't want to scare anybody off that might be interested. Besides, I'll take all the good art that people can toss my way, I can definitely use all of it.

The thing is, if nobody helped me at all, it wouldn't stop the game from getting made. It would just take me longer, and undoubtedly wouldn't be as good. I'm never opposed to those more talented than I helping me out I own the rights to every essential piece of game media.

Come see the WIP!
Dark Eternity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 10:33
Quote: "And you are totally right about that logo. I chose that when this game was going to be free. It was a fast and compelling image. I'm looking for an artist to make me some new art"

so the game isnt going to be free? ah well i will buy it anyway, go on cash curtis this is one project i am definately looking forward to see finished

DE

Scorched Skies is waiting,can you help

AMDAthlonFX-62,NvidiaGeforce7900 512MB X2,RAM4GB
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 10:57
You might have missed it DE, this game got picked up by a publisher. I'll have a demo version, but the exact place that I'll cut the game off will drive people crazy, so they'll have to buy it anyway.

I appreciate it DE!

Come see the WIP!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 12:06
Quote: "but the exact place that I'll cut the game off will drive people crazy, so they'll have to buy it anyway."

You bastard.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 17:27
Quote: "All fixed The unresponsiveness is actually caused by a bug with object bounding boxes when you clone them. So, sometimes their sizes are wrong internally. It works great now. And I didn't use my real animation libraries in that demo, so that's not even a problem in the real version."

Yeah, I doubt you where going to release it like that. I'm looking forward to try a polished up version

Quote: "The camera angle is totally adjustable too. I'm going to add 1st person as well."

I know you posted something about changeing the camera angle with the mouse wheel but mine is busted. I like how it works in WoW where you can just rightclick and rotate the camera with the mouse.

A warning about adding an FP camera, usually games are made for either 3rd or 1st perspecive and having both working perfectly adds a lot of extra work and may result in neither working as well as they should or one of them will be pretty useless. I personally think you should stick with either one and as a TP fan I hope you stick with that

Quote: "And you are totally right about that logo. I chose that when this game was going to be free. It was a fast and compelling image. I'm looking for an artist to make me some new art "

I looks good so I can't blame you for that

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 20:37
@Cash - Hit me up with some ideas of what you would like in a Logo or some 2d artwork. If you can be patient, I can get you some pretty slick work.

Dark Eternity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 20:47
Quote: "You might have missed it DE, this game got picked up by a publisher. I'll have a demo version, but the exact place that I'll cut the game off will drive people crazy, so they'll have to buy it anyway.

I appreciate it DE!
"

cash curtis i didnt know you were getting it published! nice one, just dont forget about all of us programmers at the forums when you own a massive company!

anyway best of luck on this project and the demo thing sounds promising, so what countrys would we expect to see this in then?

Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 21:22
what about a logo competition?

Dark Eternity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 22:41 Edited at: 21st Aug 2006 22:43
a word of advice to anybody that wishes to go against green7, good luck look at what he made in pretty dam quick time:
http://img420.imageshack.us/img420/5756/infernolg5.jpg
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/5130/logo1hq3.jpg
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/8922/logo2tc0.jpg
green7 for the win
DE

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 23:56
IF Cash does decide to host a competition, I wouldn't sweat too bad, I play fair

Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 00:46 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2006 00:55
@alquerian: loool

@ DE: you played my aces, now the surprise is gone... its no fun to scare others off from start, if they get scared. and again i say art is somehow bound to luck, sometimes it becomes a good work, sometimes not, so, if cash does a compo everyone got the same chance.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 03:25
@Digital Awakening -
Quote: "A warning about adding an FP camera, usually games are made for either 3rd or 1st perspecive and having both working perfectly adds a lot of extra work and may result in neither working as well as they should or one of them will be pretty useless."

Actually, my third person control is solid, and the 1st person control won't interfere with that portion of the code at all. It's actually almost entirely coded, I just have to add a couple of controls then I'm all set. I know that some people just really don't like this point of view, even though I do. I just want a flexible system, and the 3D makes that pretty easy.

@Dark Eternity -
Quote: "anyway best of luck on this project and the demo thing sounds promising, so what countrys would we expect to see this in then?"

They didn't list most of their countries. I know America, England, Netherlands for sure. And 29 other lucky countries. They have online distribution and retail, I guess the exact manner of distribution and advertising will be up to them once they get the final version of the game. Hopefully Wal Mart, and whatever snazzy computer stores you might have in your part of the world! But definitely you'll be able to buy it online.

@Green7 -
Quote: "what about a logo competition?"

That's an excellent idea. I'll post in Geek Culture right now. Thanks!

I look forward to seeing everyone's work!!

Come see the WIP!
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 04:04 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2006 04:08
woohoo congrats Can't wait for the demo Good luck with the publishing, I expect to see it in my local game store soon

I've sent you the model so far, it should all be okay, feel free to tear apart and put together again . I'm not that great at texturing and animating low poly characters. My Lessons don't seem to cover it so I'm experimenting

Edit: Think I forgot to say the animation ranges in the email, its the same as that mesh you sent me a while ago Thought it'd make it easier for you programming wise, and it was a good animation anyway

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 04:37
Wow, she's perfect! And she's hot!

That's cool about the animations. My engine can actually handle any type of ranges, but since you did it that way she'll be able to wave and blow kisses. Awesome And it sounds like that was a bit easier than reinventing the wheel.

She's so good I'm going to have to make a couple of new textures for her and reuse her in the game. I think I'll do away with the belt and her sleeves and she can work the desk in the Geisha House.

BTW, your UV map is excellent.

Come see the WIP!
SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 04:48
Hey Cash,

Sorry I haven't posted for a while, Ive had a few legal problems and family issues to contend with, so I haven't been incredibly active at the forums. But its great to see this is getting published! Never have I seen a person who's been so productive with his game. I'll be sure to advertise your game, Ive got a few RPG junkie friends to talk about this to. And even better, because I'm such a fan, Ill be sure to buy a copy for every 100 my gang steals .

P.S The Cash Curtis Fan Club has already made three burnt offerings in your name, may you be appeased o mighty coder of Geisha House.

Back by unpopular demand!
Battle Legacy has gone MMORPG! Nah, Im just kidding. But seriously, check the WIP

Dark Eternity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 10:19
@ Green7 sorry...

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 13:56
Chenak:
Wow! There a lot more people who can make models like that then there are people who can make textures like that. Exelent work I would love to see it animated.

Maybe when I'm longer into development of Simple Game Toolkit you would be interested in doing some animations for it? If you have the time. It's in 2D so you can make high detail models. It supports up to 8 directions of animation so it's a lot easier to use 3D renders.

Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 00:29
@DE: no prob dude!

@cash: thx for the chance!

Oddmind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 05:03
I'm gonna give a go at this,my art has been seriously overhauled since that last painting. I've taken a course study on switching between right and left hemispheres of your brain to produce better quality artwork.

I'll have some content in a bit.

congradulations to the mizzax.

formerly KrazyJimmy

Prayers for rain...
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 16:23
WOW looks AMAZING! I really want to play this. Just one thing... How did you do that beautiful water in those screenshots on the first page? Sorry if this has been answered already. If you don't want to tell me you don't need to, I'd just like to know

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 17:08
hey Cash, great job getting the publisher. now i think that can raise the hopes of others of creating successful games(or at least completed... we dont have many of those). but i have a question: did the publishers find you, or did you go out and find the publisher? what i mean is, were you looking to publish your game, or did they somehow find your game and ask you to publish it?

Thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=78971&b=8&p=0
*New Website Coming Soon*
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 02:18 Edited at: 24th Aug 2006 02:21
Quote: "How did you do that beautiful water in those screenshots on the first page?"

Did you watch the environmental video? That really shows the water, waterfall, flowing river, and swamp in all their glory. I'm using some animated decals from the Animated Sprite Pack from TGC. I define the total water size, then the X and Z split, and I can rotate the collection of plains along any axis. Then I define my plain exclusions as such...

and I have highly efficient water that can be at any elevation and any angle. Take a look at the river outlet in the video. It's actually flowing from a higher elevation into the ocean.

@jasonhtml
Quote: "the publishers find you, or did you go out and find the publisher?"

They totally found me. I was going to release Geisha House as a free game in order to popularize my RPG engine. I posted an art team request on Gamedev.net, and the publisher contacted me. I guess that they liked what they saw

I've gotten so much done lately, but I've just been at a lack for something good to show. I've cranked the FPS back up into the low 50s. Almost everything is working perfectly, especially the management system for animated characters. I've got such a great system set up for that, but I don't really want to tell too much about it, I'll wait until after everyone has played it to tell.

Come see the WIP!
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 04:01
Ah, I see thanks.
This is made in DGSDK or something? Well, I guess I get it now. I'll go watch that video.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 12:09
Do you have msn messenger Cash? I thought I had your addy but can't find it on my list. Shoot me an email. I may have some culling code that may be pretty quick with what you've got already. I decided against using the LUA though as the very small speed increase wasn't worth requiring people to buy it to use with a free engine.

Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 19:38 Edited at: 24th Aug 2006 19:39
Wow. I go away for a few weeks, and my favourite WIP got even better! (sorry zzz) Congrats on the publisher, hope it works out

I know it was ages ago for you, but the cloth effects are amazing.

You've definitely inspired me to get back to my project again. Thanks!

IceBound Melodic rock/metal band with loads of lead guitar, clean female vocals, and more guitars! What more could you want?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 20:45:21
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 20:45:21