Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Official Ply's Mod Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2008 06:53
I run it on quite a bad rig, around 38 fps.

[url=][/url][href]http://www.rampagemod.webs.com[\href]
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2008 10:22
Well consider this as a test to performance with the FPI language (And most of the new commands I've added)

The inventory (shown in my latest video) ran off of a script that was almost 300 lines long.....

The engine suffered naught from the large script and continued to run the level at the max framerate.

Knowing this, I have been lead to believe that there are deeper issues to lag from many entities than just their scripts running. (Since in the video I was running 3 rather large scripts all set as "ALWAYS ACTIVE - YES") I've been researching ways to increase the effectiveness of AI in FPSC, so having many entities with scripts won't bog down the engine as much... especially since a ~300 line process running alongside 2 other similarly designed process scripts doesn't effect the framerate at all.

The one and only,

Those who live in the past, are destined to insanity. Those who live only for the future, will be slaves to their ambitions.
Those who live in the moment... only they, are truly happy.
Kerrby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2008 13:11
Ply, I used to post here a while ago until I gave up on FPSC. Would I be able to send you an email possibly?
Killer666
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2008 23:15
Ply sweet vids super cool stuff but were do you get the hands and stuff in the vids do they come with the mod or what?

?
Killer666
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2008 23:55
Btw Ply I sent you an Email just to let you know

?
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2008 21:02
I fell gutted, I can't use this for that Christmas compo Nickydude's created, I could make a killer puzzle game with the power of this mod......

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2008 23:07
me too

I know not what WWIII will be fought but I do know that WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones-Albert Einstein
meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2008 01:58
I know, I have to revert to real FPSC, which is so inferior! I really would love some of those prizes

I love Jenkins forever :p
There is nothing to fear except fear itself... and FPSC bugs.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2008 08:24
It'll be okay, guys... just think of all the headshotting you can do with the official version!!! Or the... umm... low loading times! ...Yeah!

Okay... yeah, I feel your pain.

The one and only,

Those who live in the past, are destined to insanity. Those who live only for the future, will be slaves to their ambitions.
meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2008 13:20
Just think of all the other BA stuff we coudnt script

Maniac Modeler
Years of Service
User Offline
fpscreator crashes when testing game, right when it reaches "Loading entity bank"
meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2008 22:00
describe the crash

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2008 23:13
@Maniac Modeler:

What version of the Mod are you using?
What does the error say?
How large is your level?
How complex is your level?
Have you tried testing with a small and simple map to see if the error goes away?

I need to know these sorta things.

The one and only,

Maniac Modeler
Years of Service
User Offline
All I'm doing is taking pictures of my wip items. A simple small room with one or two entities in it.
I'm using 1.07Beta and I installed it on a latest FPSC update if that matters.
Here's a pic of the errors I get.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 02:59
Please read your error carefully and then look at the "Known Bugs" section of the readme file.

It clearly states that any "memblock" related errors on lines "3000-5000" (your line is included in that range) is a result of using an FPSC Editor from a version higher than V1.09

Downgrade to V1.07 - V1.09 before installing any Mods.

The one and only,

Maniac Modeler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 03:02 Edited at: 24th Oct 2008 03:04
That's what I had figured, thanks for your time!
Should I downgrade before 1.09?

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 08:10
I believe the V1.09 Editor will work just fine with the Mod. Many people have been able to use it.

The one and only,

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 13:33
plus it gives store

Crusader2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 15:53
It will, I'm using v 1.09

Must... help... bunny... achieve... world... domination... all... hail... bunny...
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 19:56
Me too....

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 22:00
yep, same here

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 22:18
Ply, I flew you the first screen of my progress with that first type of level I was talking about....

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 22:51
I didn't recieve an email from you, CG. Try resending, please.

The one and only,

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 23:08
Ply dynamic lighting doesn't work in the beta but it worked in the alpha2 version. and when you have a single type of light that it doesn't recognize(the engine) it won't render any lights at all. just letting you know

I know not what WWIII will be fought but I do know that WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones-Albert Einstein
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 23:23
Hmm, I resent, it should get to you now...

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2008 01:39
bumpage

Maniac Modeler
Years of Service
User Offline
Can I script a vehicle with this mod?

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2008 19:25
Yes.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2008 21:56
@Maniac Modeler:

If you have the time, the initiative, and the ingenuity; yes, you can make a vehicle.

Please don't do like everyone else and straight copy the Humvee script I made on page 1... and then post here or email me about it not working because I'm really getting tired of that.

I wish someone would just make their own vehicle script and not try to copy what I made.

The one and only,

Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2008 23:35
Wow Plystire, i can now go back to 109 after having to revert to 107? Sweet!
Still need some feedback on how to use the mod, ill be on msn all day and night (hours inclusive)

Maniac Modeler
Years of Service
User Offline
Ply can you give me a few tips to point me in the right direction on writing a vehicle script?
I'm new to this and I would like to post a script that people who don't understand to copy and use.

Kerrby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 00:22
Sorry Ply, I sent you another email. Before this guy sent it ^^ .

It's about recoil.

Thanks mate.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 05:21
@Maniac Modeler:

Hmmmm... I suggest you first learn how to script normally before getting into an in-depth script like a vehicle. The code necessary will require a bit of math understanding (possibly 3-dimensional depending on how you want it set up) and lots and lots of basic scripting understanding. It would also be good to know how to debug a script should something go wrong or doesn't work right.

Other than that, you'll also want to know how to perform calculations using the Ply's Mod variables FOR the math.

Here's an example of a simple problem I encountered writing the original Humvee script:
When the player looks left and right, the Humvee should NOT move with the camera... it should rotate toward the camera only when moving. Now, what if the camera is pointing at 359 degrees and the humvee is looking at 2 degrees. The obvious direction for the humvee to turn would be to the negative so that it would loop from 0 to 360 and get to 359 faster, but how would I code the humvee to know that since the only it understands now is "If the target angle is higher, then go up and if the target angle is lower then go down"???

That's the kind of thing you'll encounter. Other problems could include how to implement acceleration/velocity... how to control the turning of the camera... how to provide the illusion that the player actually got INTO the humvee and didn't just teleport... how to reposition the player to the outside of the driver side door when they exit the humvee...

Lots of stuff.

But here's one tip for everyone... to get the original humvee to work, remove the section of code that repositions the player to the humvee's position while driving... This will prevent the humvee from flying away, but enemies will NOT target the humvee since the player isn't actually inside of it.

It constantly surprises me how people can assume that making a vehicle is somehow SIMPLE and expect it to be simple for them or for someone else to do the work for them...

Well, the ability is there, you just gotta make the most of what I give you to work with and I have not yet seen that happen on a larger scale than CG has shown me. (Which, I'm sad to say isn't very large compared to what can be done! Though, he may be keeping some of his more brilliant scripts to himself )

The one and only,

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 11:39
Well, I have to have something unique to my game lol......

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 12:44
Now I fell stupid, o well, hey Ply, when the full release comes out, will we be getting settargetreticule?

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 22:00
@meteorite:

I think it's already in there, I may have just not added it to the manual.

The one and only,

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 22:08
Yippee! Lol....

Avid
Years of Service
User Offline
Ply, how are you going about making the vehicle? I've managed to do it in a few games (Q3:TA to be precise) by simply changing the player model and modifying the movement constraints (namely disabling strafe and enabling 3rd person).

Granted Q3A has a native 3rd person camera, and uses C++, probably the best programming language ever invented, but I bet the principle still stands. From the looks of it the problems you seemed to be having were with programming the 3rd person camera. I would contribute if I could, but Dark Basic is an unnecessary expense when I consider my self more of an art guy.

Visit my site http://www.fpsmodels.com for models and media for fps creator.
meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 22:25 Edited at: 27th Oct 2008 22:46
I see my dream of 3rd person coming to life... MY GOD!
-edit- or not, Ill send you a vid of what can be accomplished with my script so far

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 22:57 Edited at: 27th Oct 2008 22:59
@Avid:

Basically, the way the vehicle works is all of the "controls" are designed to manipulate the movement of the Humvee entity itself. And as it stands, FPSC is being very.... stubborn and refuses to MOVE an entity unless that entity is a Character. So, I made the Humvee a character entity and manipulated it like that. Now, this solved a few projected problems:

- Characters can be moved easily with scripting
- Character entities can have weapons... which would allow a potential mounted gun of any sort on the vehicle

But this also raised some more problems:

- Characters in FPSC seem to have a hard-coded collision radius about them for colliding with segments. Large character entities, such as the Humvee collide with other entities just fine, but don't seem to use the SAME collision for segments and thus the humvee or any other larger-than-a-person vehicle will stick through the wall up to a certain point. I have tried to solve this but haven't been able to find the source of the problem... I believe the universe (segments) model collision is handled through ODE and the problem may lie inside the ODE source itself.
- Characters are practically bound to waypoints or the floor at which they start and don't use normal physics, so this means that no matter how fast you are travelling, the humvee will not leave the floor to get "airbourne", nor will it tilt on inclines as a humvee should... characters are design to stay up-right at all times like a character should.

And there you have it. The theory, pros and cons of the vehicle in FPSC... in a nutshell

The one and only,

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 23:03
UPDATE

Okay, good news, everyone! My new motherboard is projected to arrive here on Wednesday!!! So hopefully I'll have my computer up and running sometime that night and progress can continue!

Some additions to look forward to in the next update:

- HUD manipulation commands (To allow the repositioning/resizing of HUDs in real-time)
- More Gunspec Options
- New Flakspec Options
- Weapon manipulation/confirmation commands

That'll do it for now! I'm really hoping to get back to work on this, as over the past week..... I've been having some serious programming buildup and I'm about to explode if I can't relieve it soon.

The one and only,

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 23:04
Yay!

Avid
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeh, had a feeling is was an engine problem. Someone ought to use the ID tech 3 engine (which is now open source) and release a version that is more user friendly. It uses C++, which can be free, GTK radiant, which is free, and uses md3 models, which can also be made for free (GMax). I'm seriously going to have a play with it methinks.

The only downside is it lacks single player and any kind of scripting system in its most basic form.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 23:31
GMax is illegal is you use it for making models for games....

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 23:33
YES! soundin good... I have gotten rocket launcher sort of working in 3rd person, its pretty cool! startmenu isnt working for me, so the player follows my person, and when it picks up a gun, you can shoot and watch the animations, its quite fun! I actually used the player jump to have the gun pop over my 3rd person bots' head, and shoot explosive barrels

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 23:41
Lol, sounds like you're having a lot of fun, meteorite!! That's good to know!

I suppose what one thing you could try (to have 3rd person with multiple weapons) is to make a character model for every possible weapon in the game. Now, using the new scripting additions (soon to come or already out, I have since forgotten which "new stuff" is already in Beta and which isn't ) you can check what weapon the player is currently holding, and then just SWAP which character model you're using to get a different weapon!

The problem of controlling this 3rd person's ammo will soon to be controllable... but I'll let you find out when the next update comes.

The one and only,

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 23:44 Edited at: 27th Oct 2008 23:47
sweetums, is there anything I should know about startmenu as for me to get it working?

-edit- ya know ply, you should add commands for mic input, it has many uses, from controlling troops to voice activated computers to... singing terrible music terribly causing peoples ears to bleed

-again-
and for multiplayer purposes

Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 23:52
In fact, raising the point about the minigames from a previous thread, you could use that in plys mod to integrate a sort of lockpicking system, like in oblivion and fallout 3, but harder

Avid
Years of Service
User Offline
The only problem I have with FPSC as it stands is the poor character animations. They play too fast and aren't realistic. In contrast, I've found half life (particularly the ones used in DoD and CS) to be particularly good. They used skeletal animation without ragdoll too, in the smd file format.

The engine also played different animations depending on what killed you, doing simple direction and force calculations (a grenade exploding behind the model propels it forward and plays the flying death animation for example).

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2008 00:20
There's an ANIMSPEED command in this mod, tweaking it may help easy your problems....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-13 07:23:06
Your offset time is: 2024-10-13 07:23:06