Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Official Ply's Mod Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2008 12:21
aight, i suppose i can wait, If I find any bugs i'll let you know

I love Jenkins forever :p
There is nothing to fear except fear itself... and FPSC bugs.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2008 05:59
AirMod already has a bulletpass like command It's called nobulletcol = X . Presumably you already have it in?

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2008 12:21
I already pointed that out, I felt so smart pointing that out to Ply

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
First time I've tried one of the mods'

Excellent work Plystire. Really good to see such commitment to a modification. Well done.

I know that you're concentrating on scripting mods, but any throughts on adding water, etc.. Sorry if this has been asked before and answered. 1000+ posts, so can't say I've read them all.

Congratulations again.
Crusader2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 00:28
Don't think water's been requested. That would be pretty cool. Ply, any way you could speed the start of a level load time up? Because I had 3 guns in a 4X4 room and nothing else and it took like 5 minutes to load it once I did a build

Must... help... bunny... achieve... world... domination... all... hail... bunny...
meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 12:17
He's probably never going to do water, graphics are last on his list of things to do

gmr1923
Years of Service
User Offline
i am trying to use plys mod because it is the only mod that will work with my computer.and i dont know how to script. and i want to know some scripts i can use. i dont care what kind jst tell me.oh plystire i wanted to know if i could have the humvee model that i saw in your video.

thanks,gmr1234

aaron heithus
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2008 07:51
@Airslide:

Yes yes, we're already past that, you really should read all of the posts.

@Scene Commander:

Well, thanks for choosing Ply's Mod to start your Modding experience off with a bang!

As has been mentioned, graphical implementations are at the bottom of my list, but water is not AS far down the list as other graphical implementation since it inherently has gameplay aspects quite crucial to many games!

The reason I placed it so far down the ladder on things to do is because as of right now there are already ways to implement pseudo water using the Mod. A few people have already done it and with some serious scripting I'm willing to bet that you could make a pretty darn believable water physics system. No doubt a hard-coded water physics system would be much cleaner and faster and getting the water to look realistic would be great, but there are just so much more additions I want to jump into before that.

Remember, I *DO* have the code for Water, but until I'm feeling up to optimising it all and providing people with a way to "dumb down" to graphical detail for lower end machines, it just isn't going to happen.

@Crusader:

Hmmmm, you could always grab a better CPU! Lol

I haven't quite gotten into optimizing FPSC itself. Perhaps sometime soon I'll go talk with S4 and see if he's willing to share some of his optimising work with a fellow modder.

Not sure why it takes 5 minutes for your built game to load.... on my old computer (pre-upgrade disaster) it BUILT larger levels than that in about 4 minutes and loaded them in under 1 minute.

@gmr1923:

Unless a script requires later versions of FPSC to use (specifically, scripts that require the official variable system), you should be able to run the scripts people post up in the Scripts board here.

I highly recommend that you grab the community guide and start learning how to script. It will make your FPSC creations so much better and have more potential behind them (even without the Mod).

@Everyone:

I'm back!

Check out what I got in VEGAS!! (Pic)

The one and only,

Those who live in the past, are destined to insanity. Those who live only for the future, will be slaves to their ambitions.
Those who live in the moment... only they, are truly happy.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2008 08:52
*Does the big !!!YUS!!! thing off the Pokemoron thing I showed you*
Nice winnings!!! How was you trip? Did you visit the Leadwerks Corporation? lol. yeah.

[url=
"Welcome to the forums, MasterXMP. Your game looks like garbage..." - Game Maker
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2008 09:06
The trip was great (for the few days I was there anyway, lol), I didn't even realise the leadwerks corp was there, but I did take a nice long walk around the town and even got a video of the fountain show in front of the Bellagio.

I was mainly there to attend a DoD tech convention showing off a lot of really cool upcoming govn't tech, so gambling aside, that was spectacular (and free food/booze to boot! lol)

The one and only,

Those who live in the past, are destined to insanity. Those who live only for the future, will be slaves to their ambitions.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2008 09:30 Edited at: 21st Nov 2008 09:39
I think I've discovered a possible bug with this Mod, unless I'm behind the times and everyone else knows about it!

If you set Fog to on the engine only displays a single colour. Screen shots and FPI attached for information.

Attachments

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2008 09:39
Wicked man, meaning...that you can come on msn again!?
And yeah Leadwerks is in Las Vegas http://www.leadwerks.com/company.html

[url=
"Welcome to the forums, MasterXMP. Your game looks like garbage..." - Game Maker
meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2008 17:06
Remind me not to play poker with you..
"19"
"hit me"
"20"
"hit me"
"21"
"hit me"

Crusader2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2008 17:13
meteorite... that's blackjack

Must... help... bunny... achieve... world... domination... all... hail... bunny...
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2008 20:05
@Scene Commander

I identified that error a couple of pages back, it's in all of the mods, so it can't be fixed until Lee gives out some better source code.....

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2008 20:07
blackjack is a form of poker in my mind along with stud draw and hold'em

Crusader2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2008 20:20
Uh huh... Interesting...

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2008 23:08
@Scene Commander:

There is a problem with Fog, but the way you used it is the main problem. When you use the "FOG=X" command, the "X" is setting how far away from the camera the fog will be, so in your snippet, you set the fog to be 1 unit in front of the camera... which would blot out everything. Try giving it something like 400 or so.

Just to inform you of the problem with Fog:

Fog is a form of lighting and lighting has issues in Mods right now. Dynamic entities will sometimes appear BLACK in the fog no matter what color the fog is set to. This will make the entities appear as sillouettes (sp) instead of properly being shaded the proper color of the fog. Of course, keeping the fog colored black will counter this issue, but it's there nonetheless.

The main issues in Mods are lighting and physics... if something is actually wrong with them or you want to change part of them, their code is in a DLL, meaning in order to do anything about it, you'd have to decompile the DLL and alter it yourself. The exception here is the ODE physics system, where Lee has given us the code to the DLL, but you'd still need to be able to compile it (which I can't, lol)

@meteorite:

I didn't play blackjack at all in vegas... mainly because they don't use a single deck anymore (due to counters) they use something like.... 8-10 decks and draw from all of them. Plus while I was spectating some of those tables it seemed like the dealer ALWAYS had blackjack whenever they'd get an ace on their face-up card.

The one and only,

Crusader2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2008 01:40
IDEA/QUESTION!
Is it possible for your gun to have it's alternate fire as a melee attack, like using the butt of the gun or a bayonette or a blade on the front? It's an Idea, but idk if I could do it.

Diablos Bud
Years of Service
User Offline
Plystire: I remember a thread I saw a while ago, and you were talking about a way to merge your mod with efxMod without changing the FPSC-Game.exe, how would this be done? Could you please help me because I want to create a horror FPS, but need efxMod full quality for the game's atmosphere, and would love to use yours in it also for more player customization, and features? This would be great if you could inform me of a way to do this.

-Thanks for reading this post,
Diablosbud.

Diablosbud Productions - a name for the game's developed by me.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2008 05:33
@Crusader2:

I bet it will be possible with Airslide's next AirMod version, he said he was redoing the alternate fire portion to make it much more customizable, etc.

@Diablos Bud:

The only way of using two Mods at this point would be to merge their sources together or to have two different built games, each of which using a different Mod.

The one and only,

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2008 07:26
I no that graphics are at the bottom your list, but wouldn't a simple LIGHTBLOOM=X suffice? That way people can use it if they want.
BTW!
PLY'S MOD RULES!

[url=
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2008 07:42
It would suffice, but remember that both water and bloom are camera related effects. Water needs seperate camera renders for the reflection and refraction (both of which need to be clipped to provide a believable illusion). Bloom, without DarkSHADER, requires a minimum of 2 more camera renders (one to capture the scene in front of you, and one to capture the shadered effect... the effect is then placed in front of the normal camera).
Rendering can hit your framerate quite hard when done in excessive amounts, depending on the type of GPU you have.

The one and only,

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2008 08:34
Right...I knew that

[url=
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2008 10:33
@Diablos Bud

If you need bloom to make your game look atmospheric, then it obviously isn't......

Diablos Bud
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2008 18:58 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2008 19:00
I need efxMod CoffeeGrunt that's the problem, I need motion blur, good shadows, and a freaky atmosphere. But I can do without Ply's, cool features though, but I cannot use vehicles anyway for my levels are in a facility, kind of like in Doom3. Thanks for the information though CG, and Ply.

Diablosbud Productions - a name for the game's developed by me.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2008 19:06
Quote: "Good cover. "

Haha, I had to come up with something.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2008 19:28
Quote: "I need motion blur"

Fair enough....

Quote: "good shadows"

They're not really different to the nromal ones though, it's the lights that are different...

Quote: "and a freaky atmosphere"

And all the games like Demon Sun that don't use EFX aren't atmospheric?

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2008 19:59
good point cg

Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2008 21:19
Lol, meteorites previous post of 19 hit me 20 hit me really reminded me of Peter Griffins experience in Atlantic City!
"You've got 20."
"Hit me!"
"21!"
"Hit me! Hit me!"
"Thats 30."
"Hit me."

So Ply, does the Beta 3 fix my Health HUD problem? Or was it taken out for further testing? Also awesome work on the puzzle game. I wont spoil the details but it rules!

@meteorite
I never knew you had Xbox Live!

@The 1000+ Posts thing
1000 posts+ is great, but im sure EfxMod said that around 3 months ago...

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2008 21:37
Meh, it's nt a competition. Most of the EFX posts constitute phrases like "ZOMG! Teh awsum grafix!" and "Teh Bloom pwnzorz!"

Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2008 21:40
lol, i guess that registers as "SPAMMING!!!" then. Ive never tryed EfxMod before, but I bow down in the direction of Plys Mod, since it is the best source code remake for FPSC I have ever used. Does beta 3 fix my problem with the HUDS?

Making the challenge? More like kicking teh nass!
Seen Endangered City yet? It wont last long!
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2008 21:45
Try it out and see, I can't tell you that....

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2008 23:27
@YFPSD:

What HUD problem? You had a HUD problem??? I thought your problem was shooting through people! (Which is fixed)

The HUD's randomly growing in size may be attributed to the HUD manipulation commands I've added... I have seen it before and I've been looking through for the cause of it, so expect that to be fixed soon.

Quote: "Meh, it's nt a competition. Most of the EFX posts constitute phrases like "ZOMG! Teh awsum grafix!" and "Teh Bloom pwnzorz!""

Actually, most of the posts for efxMod consist of "I can't get it to work!! Help me!" "How do I install this?" "How do I change the graphical thingies through scripts???" "Why do the boxes bob up and down at the top of the water and never stop?" "How come I get 2 fps with this but I get 48 fps with S4Mod???" "I installeded it but I get an error saying 'YOU IDIOT! USE V1.07 - V1.09!!!', what did I do wrong?!? Btw, I have V1.13, if that helps!"

Those type of posts seem to make up a vaster majority than the posts saying "ZOMG! Perrty grafix!"

From what I can see, it's mostly people being confused or having problems with the mod.

The one and only,

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 01:09 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2008 01:18
lol @ Ply
Yea I have live, but I cant get new experience, AND I only have silver, soo....
and that was supposed to be what I was goin for, but I couldnt find the exact quote...

Also, should things bob up and down on water? I thought they were supposed to...

-edit-

ignore my crappy suaerbraten tc stats, about 80% came from a 1 on 1 match with the best guy ever

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 01:34
Quote: "Also, should things bob up and down on water? I thought they were supposed to..."

They should, but they should come to a median and stop "bobbing" after a while. If they didn't then it'd pretty much be perpetual motion.

The one and only,

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 03:21
!!! REVISION !!!

Alright, I fixed some "self-scaling" HUD issues here... I was unable to reproduce the "giant numeric HUD" glitch that I had run into, and the Zoom HUD is no longer messed up.... so here's hoping that there won't be any more problems with HUDs scaling themselves.

Attached is the revised Beta 3. Updating first post in a moment.

The one and only,

Attachments

Crusader2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 04:27
I'm in the Bahamaas Ply, but I'll test a soon as I get back.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 04:47
The Bahamas?? Man, I could sure go for a warm climate right about now (below freezing where I live ), as two days in vegas just didn't quite do it.

The one and only,

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 13:39
well somebodies a whiner =p

think you got it bad Ply? for 2 days I had a fever, so I could walk around w/ 2 hoodies and freeze while my friend with shorts and a tee shirt was fine...

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 13:57
I live in Britain. I therefore instantly win this sympathy argument, owing to a bad government, health system, economy, and weather....

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 14:20
Oh lets not get into politics =p

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 14:42
Lol, it's snowing over here, it's horrible, it's thick enough to be freezing cold, but too thin to actually have a snowball fight or something...

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 18:38
that sucks, I don't dare go outside, it's probly how I got myself sick

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 20:29
Quote: "for 2 days I had a fever, so I could walk around w/ 2 hoodies and freeze"

I think that's called the "Common Cold"

I got to go put up christmas lights on the roof today! Air temp was 18F, wind speed was around 15mph, so you can do the math on how cold it REALLY was up there.

ANYWHO! Has anyone tried the revision to see if it fixed any of their problems?

Also, more bug reports would be great! I don't want V1.08 to be mainly bug fixes!

The one and only,

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 20:37
Lol, I have a bug now....

None of my levels will compile over 200 textures for lightmapping. It just crashes.....

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 20:52
Actually it was called Strep Throat lol

I havent noticed any bugs

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 20:54
Email me an fpm of this happening and I'll take a look.

When you say "200 textures", do you mean 200 lightmap FILES? (Ex. 200.dds in the lightmap folder?)

The one and only,

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 20:57 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2008 20:59
Hmmm, I can't really send you an FPM with stock, since it's one of my Izolis maps that has a whole bunch of custom stuff.....

I'll try replicating it with stock, I have a level compiling now, I'll see how it goes, it's on quick lightmapping, 256^2, and it's saving 199 textures....

It's the ones just after it's lightmapped....

-=EDIT=-

Well, it saved them, then crashed at initiating player, I'l try adding in a couple more lights, to bump it over 200, and see how it goes....

It's like this with S4Mod as well, but not EFX....

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 21:00
Okay, that's fine, CG.

Try changing the "lightmapthreadmax=-1" in the setup.ini file to "lightmapthreadmax=-2". This will change it to a non-threading approach and MAY make it work.

If that doesn't work, then try using the legacy lightmapper instead of the DarkLIGHTS lightmapper.

I wish I could do more, but the lightmapper in FPSC isn't coded in DBP, it's another DLL function.

The one and only,

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-13 11:23:34
Your offset time is: 2024-10-13 11:23:34