Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Official Ply's Mod Thread

Author
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
@Plystire sorry to hear about your computer didn't you have an issue with your computer not so long ago?

Hope you get it fix soon

best s4real

puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, I don't know if this question has been asked, but is it possible for this mod to generate random numbers? (Is there a command or something?)
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2009 04:06
random=x but I've never found a use for it though as it's a condition not an action.

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2009 04:29
Hmmm, I dont believe so.

"I can't imagine what this place would have been like if I hadn't found you here." - BJ Hunnicutt
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2009 22:24
@Airslide:

Your method would be faster in terms of processing sense if he only wanted to use it for a single item. I went on a skew there lol. The setup I had made would be most efficient if you wanted it to be used for everything like activating switches, doors, character conversations, item pickups, etc.

If I recall correctly, your "pickobject" only checks a raycast against that entity, whereas the "settargetreticle" command checks a raycast against all dynamic entities and the level itself (I check against the universe obj so you can't activate things through a wall )

@s4real:

Yeah, I had some issues with my computer last year around this time.... with my power supply.... and it's my power supply again this year. Seriously, I have bad luck with PSUs. It may be because I leave my computer on 24/7 which puts a strain on the power supply.

@puppy of kosh:

Technically you can, but it's a little inefficient. Perhaps I should add a random number command for variables.

The way you would do it right now would look something like this:

Like I said, it's pretty inefficient, especially if you want a wide range of random numbers... like from 0 to 100

@Everyone:

My computer is back online now. It seems to be running fine with minor hiccups (I lost a stick of 2GB RAM and replaced it in a seperate channel with 2 1GB sticks of RAM that run at a lower frequency, so that's causing some problems)

I'm very busy with school, though... that and I've come down out of my developing mode. I won't be working on this for a little while. I'll probably pick it back up again sometime next month, or when the Mod Contest that I'm hosting is over.

The one and only,

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2009 06:25
Well, when you get back around to us, I'm having some serious lighting problems. I can be in a room, and walls will show up unaffected by light. I might think this is a shader issue, except I used the same wall for every bit, and only some appears blackened.

Also, a lot of objects, such as characters are unaffected by static lights, just ambient ones.

"I can't imagine what this place would have been like if I hadn't found you here." - BJ Hunnicutt
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2009 13:40
Can you post a screenshot of the nonworking segments next to the working ones? Also, I'd like to know where the light is situated in the pic.

I've done a lot of tests with the lighting and every character I used was effected properly by static, dynamic, and ambient lighting. Segments also acted properly with lighting. I recall attempting to add shaders to my segments at one point in time and they just ended up being textured with the normal map, but I think that was just my ignorance in the field.

The one and only,

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2009 17:20
Quote: "Your method would be faster in terms of processing sense if he only wanted to use it for a single item. I went on a skew there lol. The setup I had made would be most efficient if you wanted it to be used for everything like activating switches, doors, character conversations, item pickups, etc.

If I recall correctly, your "pickobject" only checks a raycast against that entity, whereas the "settargetreticle" command checks a raycast against all dynamic entities and the level itself (I check against the universe obj so you can't activate things through a wall )"

That's what I figured. Yours has a higher initial cost, going through each entity, but if you are going to compare against every entity anyways ya might as well do it at once. The only way I could see my way being comparable efficiency wise is that the AI isn't processed each loop when at a distance (sometimes at my dismay when designing a level).

Hmm, I wonder if the speed improvement would be worth adding a "validtarget=X" command that could exclude the entity from those kind of checks. At the very least it could be a useful feature.

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2009 19:29
Screen attached

Attachments

Login to view attachments
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2009 23:44
I think it's the bump.fx shader, try another segment that doesn't have a shader on it...

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, and he'll break it up into firewood...or swap it for a fish."
-Frankie Boyle, on Mock the Week
puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks plys, it may be a little inefficient but it works.
meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2009 13:43
alright, thanks coffee

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey ply do you have any way in your mod to link variables together between scripts because it wont work my variabels.... They cant be read by another script...
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 00:55
The variables are automatically global and are accessible to all scripts the moment they are declared. You MUST declare a variable in order for it to be used.

If you declared it, then it must be the way you're trying to use them that's causing the problem. Make sure you didn't misspell your variable or anything like that, too.

The one and only,

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is a link to my problem:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=147972&b=23

All the coding is complete, the only thing i need to to is to get the variables working together... Check the post i have with three scripts... It doesnt matter the order they come in as FPSC will run the light first and then all of the variables should be declared or does each script need to declare the variable?
meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2009 23:00
New source released, so once life gets outta your way, and when you feel ready, you can port it

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 01:46
Thanks, meteorite. I appreciate you posting that here, since I usually check my email first and I get mailback from this thread.

Right now, life will most likely be in my way for a while, so you may want to look into using Project Blue, as I know S4 is very eager to get things ported to the new version (and he has the time)
I think you will appreciate Project Blue much more, too, since you'll be getting all of the Ply's Mod features as well as some Lemur features, all on top of those lovely S4 optimizations.

Regarding your concern about the variable system, I'm confident that the two systems will play nicely with each other, or at the very least, play in their own little corners. I made my variable system stand alone in the source, so it should remain that way.

The one and only,

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2009 05:34
Didnt you, like change integers to floats or something? What about that?

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2009 05:50
My variables are "floating point numbers", while the official system's variables are "integers". They are still seperate and will remain seperate. All this means is that Ply's Mod variables can be decimals while the official variables cannot.

The one and only,

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2009 23:57
What eva, lol. Besides, might the extra code bog the engine down a bit?

Avid
Years of Service
User Offline
Not likely, since It's all compiled rather than interpreted (like scripts), the performance impact of features included as such would be unnoticable.

Something I would like to see would be the ability to compile your scripts without having to integrate them into the source. You'll find this in languages like lua, and the qvm files used in ID tech engine games.

Visit my site http://www.fpsmodels.com for models and media for fps creator.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 00:43
Quote: "Not likely, since It's all compiled rather than interpreted (like scripts), the performance impact of features included as such would be unnoticable."

From what I've seen in the source, it uses a select-case structure for executing script commands so with the official variable commands would take that much more time to filter through them all.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 01:08
@Avid:

You're right, in a sense. But at least the scripts are pre-parsed before the game is executed. This means the engine really only needs to look up the commands when they're needed. This is actually very fast.

@Dar13:

Yes, but the time it takes to run a check on a single case is negligable. You're talking in nanoseconds or even less than that. The official variable system consumes all of.... 9 commands.

The one and only,

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 02:20
ok Can you tell I haven't looked at the source for very long?

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 07:08
I never have

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey ply,

Would it be possible in your next version for yu to include a command that will set an entity up so that:

It is ivisible - I guess you could just alter the mesh.
The player can not pass through it - Easy.
Entitys, bullets and explosions can pass through it - That is the tricky part...
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 09:39 Edited at: 30th Apr 2009 09:40
Invisible can already be done with Ply's Mod using the "hideentity" command. Or you could even just set the alphafade of the entity to 0.
Not allowing the player to pass through it is already doable as well.

Now... your last request is just plain strange... The physics system that FPSC runs on recognizes one of two things: Objects that have collision and objects that don't.

It would be hard to get the physics system to only allow certain objects to pass through one object. If it's even possible, the code probably wouldn't be very clean, to say the least. (If anyone more experienced with FPSC's ODE system knows if it's possible, feel free to speak up here)

The one and only,

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 12:39
Alright, anyone who happens to read this:

Since the new version has support for the XBox controller, I would like some feedback from people to see what everyone thinks the keymapping should be like for dual-wielding.

Just post your thoughts here and I'll run through them.

The one and only,

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 13:30
IMO, it should be a Halo-esque scheme for the dual-weilding. Here's a picture:

Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 13:36 Edited at: 30th Apr 2009 13:36
I think it should be like this.

Anything is Possible!

Attachments

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 22:39
I like robert's best, purely because it omits grenades, which we don't have working in the way Halo does...

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, and he'll break it up into firewood...or swap it for a fish."
meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 22:52 Edited at: 30th Apr 2009 22:54
Perhaps you could look into customizable controls, because some people like to turn and walk with the left stick, some like walk strafe with left, some are south paw, some like inverse

Also, I prefer Robets controls, though I must say:

Left stick should be sprint, r bump should be enter, and perhaps y to put away weapon? (key 0)

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 00:25 Edited at: 1st May 2009 00:27
Ahhh, you're right, meteorite, we're missing the all important action key! And I agree, being able to put your weapon away could be very useful...

Hmmmmm.... this is a tough one.

I think for the time being, I will leave the XBox controller alone and perhaps come back to it when the port is complete. I was thinking.... setting up the XBox controller through a script? You know, saying "This stick controls movement" "This stick controls gun swapping" "This stick doesn't do anything at all" "This button does that" "That button does this" etc etc. But it would probably be defaulted to the scheme Robert has laid out (Left bumper would be Ctrl, right bumper would be Enter, and Y would be 0)

For simplicity, I would make one analogue stick be the "mouse" and one be WASD control.

What do you guys think about that? Savvy?

The one and only,

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 01:00
Quite, do it up if you will

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 11:39
Robert's is good, but attach the left trigger to the RMB, for things like zooming and ironsights.

"You are not smart! You are very un-smart!"
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 12:27
Ahhhh, yes, I forgot about those.

I would like the left and right trigger to be used for firing weapons... so how about pressing in the right (look) analogue stick for zooming?

The one and only,

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 12:44 Edited at: 1st May 2009 12:48
I'm sure anything you come up with will be brilliant, Ply. My only request is that it should be configured to allow for easy switching away from dual wield because my only complaint about the keyboard controls is that it's ergonomically awkward when wanting to go from dualwield to single weapon with zoom/ironsights.

Even with keyboard control, I think it would be awesome to have some sort of shortcut which can be used only with the left hand (maybe even left hand plus mouse) to go from dual to righthand zoom. Don't know if it would cause conflicts but (not considering controller input) it would be great to use Lctrl+leftclick to putaway the left weapon and Lctrl+rightclick to putaway the right weapon.

edited- got my left and right mixed up
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 13:01
Quote: "
I would like the left and right trigger to be used for firing weapons... so how about pressing in the right (look) analogue stick for zooming?"

The right stick is universally used for zooming when there's no irons, but when there is it just feels a bit wierd IMO. Isn't it possible to switch between the two, because that's how the mouse works.

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 13:16 Edited at: 1st May 2009 13:20
I agree it feels wierd. I always end up looking some odd direction after zooming in games set up like that LOL

Nonetheless, here's my controller idea for y'all to consider...

edit: note that I am trying to suggest dedicated script activation keys. Something I think very important for this mod esp. if having inventory, etc.
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 13:29 Edited at: 1st May 2009 13:30
Both of those are great, but I reckon you should just map the left trigger to the RMB. Seems simple enough, but I don't know what's involved with programming so I'd have no idea. Plus, you'd have blocking mapped to LT also, just like Oblivion.

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 13:54
Agreed

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2009 02:08
I'll look into it when I get back to the Mod, guys. Thanks for the suggestions!

@Errant:

I'll be emailing you soon, so keep an eye out for it. I may need your help with something.

The one and only,

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2009 03:00
oohs, my "new feature" sense is tingling

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
cool, cool.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2009 11:48
Emailed you, Errant.

The one and only,

creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2009 12:21
@Plystire: Hope you can fix the current problems with the new feature. Contact me if you need any resources etc. Other than that, I cant wait for it! (I didnt give too much away did I?!?)

CoZ

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 2nd May 2009 15:01
Im helping Plystire with something too,it will show all the special new features.HINT: The thing is called BFPMV109G

A.K.A. chargerbandit
http://chargedstudios.fpschost.com/
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2009 21:12
Well, V109 is obviously version 1.09, and PM is Ply's Mod, so is it Ply's mod 1.09?

I doubt I'd be any help with the problem anyway...

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2009 22:31
@CoZ:

I dunno..... just you being in this thread might have given too much away. lol

@CG:

So far, so good... now remove the bits you've figured out and what are you left with?

@Everyone:

Can't be modding for a while... I have tons of documents that need to be written for school by midnight tonight... after that, I need to prepare a presentation for each of them by Tuesday. Hopefully things will pick up after school work is outta the way.

The one and only,

Pride
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2009 23:30 Edited at: 2nd May 2009 23:37
Eh, I know there's like 3 layout suggestions, but I'd like to give my 2 cents about it.

"Tempo non é só unha teoría, senón unha forza"
Try and figure it out

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 04:53:32
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 04:53:32