Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Official Ply's Mod Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2009 21:45 Edited at: 4th May 2009 21:54
Sweet! Did you say this was put into Project Blue? That was quick!

-=EDIT=-

BUG!

Just tested the bump shader with a single static light, segment used was the stock lab_mid, this was the result:

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, and he'll break it up into firewood...or swap it for a fish."
-Frankie Boyle, on Mock the Week

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Avid
Years of Service
User Offline
CoZ, can you check to see if your shader still works? If it does, could you please tell us what steps you took to ensure that.

Visit my site http://www.fpsmodels.com for models and media for fps creator.
meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2009 00:23
It's true Ply, but don't worry, when I get a job I'll buy DBPro, spend ages learning it, and make my own mod.

"I can't imagine what this place would have been like if I hadn't found you here." - BJ Hunnicutt
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2009 01:48
@CG:

Thanks for the report, I encountered this as well, though I didn't fix it because when I removed the Mod and used the official V1.15, it did it as well.

I have not altered the segment shader system. I attempted to at one point, but it did more harm than good, so I removed all the changes I made.

Perhaps during one of the next betas, I'll have done some more work on the shader system, including segments. But we'll have to see as right now, I have no attention to give to the Mod.

@CoZ:

That's a nice looking picture. I would love to see the shader you used on that character.

If it's publicly available, where can I find it at?

The one and only,

creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2009 09:46
Quote: "If it's publicly available, where can I find it at?"

It's not publicly available as of yet, although I can hook you up with it If you wanted to run it through.

CoZ

-Demon Sun: Lead Developer-
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2009 09:49
Quote: "I can hook you up with it If you wanted to run it through."

Please and thank you.

The one and only,

john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 5th May 2009 19:38
hey ply! your bloodspurt command is awsome! i just wanted to know how it worked?

shadow666
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 01:40
Lol, thank you. But the bloodspurt command is from AirMod, so airslide should get the credit for it.

The one and only,

john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 6th May 2009 01:50
well your mod is still great

shadow666
Pride
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 04:42
Anyone help me here?

The site is down and I can't find my copy of the readme, can someone list-out the variable commands? I need them now and I apologize for my laziness.

"Tempo non é só unha teoría, senón unha forza"
Try and figure it out
meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 05:05 Edited at: 6th May 2009 13:35
let me see, dimvar, addvar, subvar, setvar, incvar, mulvar, divvar, modvar, I know I'm missing a couple here

they use a =x y format, x being variable name and y being a value

Exception being dimvar, which is just x for variable name

dimvar declares a variable

addvar adds to a variable

subvar subtracts from a variable

mulvar multiplies a variable

divvar divides a variable

modvar stores a variable to a modulus, what ever that is

when using a custom variable as value, start with a %
eg: subvar=vara %varb

when using an internal variable as a value, use $
eg: addvar=vara $EH

correct me if I am wrong on any, or mention some that I missed

"I can't imagine what this place would have been like if I hadn't found you here." - BJ Hunnicutt
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 05:41
You could go to the previous page and download it again from the post I made about the Beta release. That contains the document in it.

@meteorite:

"incvar" isn't compatible with Ply's Mod variables. "addvar" is the one that increases a variable's value.

Other than that, you got all of the actions. The conditions are the same as the ones for the official variable commands. Just make sure you use them in the "=Var Val" structure.

The one and only,

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 13:36
Ah yes, I didnt even think of conditions.

I do recall there being something called incvar in Plys o, but I guess not

Avid
Years of Service
User Offline
Ply, I'm having terrible trouble to get any of the shaders to work at all.

When you say that you need to have a D2, S, I, R, and cube image for each, is that an imperative? If it is, could you please change it so that these are not required. I may not for example want to apply a cube map to the hands, but to the gun.

Your test gun does work, so I'm going to see if I can replace every single image. This is gonna require an awful lost of copy and paste...

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 01:14
Ply

Can you elaborate a bit more on the new shader system. What does it do and what changes have been made etc?

Hope you will get around to taking another look at segment shaders as this is the area that requires most attention for FPSC X9.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 07:40 Edited at: 7th May 2009 07:48
Hmmm, I figured the version history notes would have laid it out well enough, but here it is a little more in-depth:

Let's say you have a weapon that has two textures; gun_D.dds and Hand_D.dds

The new shader system will look into the HUD.X file and attempt to find out what parts of the model have which textures. So let's say part 1 of the model is given gun_D.dds and the second part of the model was given Hand_D.dds. Once it finds a part that has a texture, it will chop off the end of the texture name and look for other textures to use for shaders.

Example:

Part 2 was determined to have Hand_D.dds as it's texture.
The system will then look for;
1) Hand_N.dds
2) Hand_R.dds
3) Hand_cube.dds
4) Hand_I.dds
5) Hand_S.dds

If it finds one of those, it will put it into the stage index of it's numbering that I've listed above. Obviously, the diffuse texture is placed in stage index 0, but the above textures will be placed in their appropriate stage index as well. So, if it finds Hand_S.dds it will place that in stage index 5.

Please note that if you apply, say, a cube map to the gun, but do NOT have a cube map for the hands, the shader MIGHT use the cube map given to the gun on the Hands, so it's wise to use the same amount of textures for all parts of the model. Illumination maps are a great example of why you want to give everything the same kind of textures. Lets say you want part of your gun to be illuminated and give it an illumination map but the Hands don't have one... the shader might use the gun's illumination map on the Hands because you didn't make one for them.

I am considering expanding this system to be more friendly with all types of shaders, but that also means getting rid of the "_N", "_R", "_S", etc etc naming convention. I was thinking more along the lines of numbering your shader textures based on what stage index they belong in.
So instead of having; Hand_N.dds, Hand_R.dds, Hand_cube.dds, Hand_I.dds, Hand_S.dds
You would have; Hand_1.dds, Hand_2.dds, Hand_3.dds, Hand_4.dds, Hand_5.dds, etc etc etc up to the amoutn of shader textures that you require.

While I am aware that a NAMING convention is useful, in this instance it is very restrictive, because FPSC cannot tell WHAT texture should go into which stage index in order to make your shader work properly.

Let's say you made a shader that needs the following textures (in the following order):
Illumination Map
Cube Map
Specular Map

Now... FPSC is programmed to place the Normal Map first, followed by the Reflection Map, followed by the Cube Map, followed by the Illumination Map, followed by the Specular Map.
If you wanted to use your shader, you would have name your Illumination Map with the "_N" convention, and your Cube Map with the "_R" convention and your Specular Map with the "_cube" convention for FPSC to load them in properly.... that just doesn't make sense, you see.

To answer the question: what changes did I make?

Originally when you gave a weapon a shader, FPSC would look for "gun_N.dds", "gun_R.dds" and "gun_cube.dds".... and then it would apply those to the ENTIRE MODEL with the shader. THis is why Hands were applied with gun shader textures, and scopes were applied with gun shader textures, etc.

I made the system apply the shader on a "per part" basis and not on the model as a whole. I also made it use shader textures that are specific to each part and not only from the "gun_" textures.

Additionally, I have the system look for additional shader textures to be applied. Namely, the Illumination Map (_I) and the Specular Map (_S)

I hope that cleared everything up for you.

[EDIT]
@Avid:

If you don't want to give one of your parts a cube map, you can optionally give it a solid black Reflection Map.

Remember... the shader you specify in the gunspec file will be applied to ALL PARTS of the weapon. This is why, if you have a shader texture for one part, it would be a good idea to give it to ALL parts (though the texture itself may not look the same, obviously) as the shader will be attempting to USE all of those textures, so any missing textures may cause undesireable results.

The one and only,

Avid
Years of Service
User Offline
If that's the case, then the problem would seem to lie with the weapon itself. I'm thinking it'll be something to do with how the materials are applied in fragmotion, thanks.

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Amazing Ply,

Keep it up.

- Red Eye

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 01:45
@Avid:

What weapon are you using? I've stated in the ReadMe "Known Bugs" section that Errant AI's weapons will not initially work with this system due to the way he has embedded the textures. For them to work he would have to release an update for them.

If you're using a weapon that isn't his, there may be the chance that your model is saving it in the same manner as his are.

The one and only,

Pride
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 04:30
I have a huge error with 1.09.

Whenever I test a level and exit, any entities, segments, or markers that I used will have their .bin and .dbo files corrupted. Anytime I attempt to re-load the level or use an entity that I used, it either crashes or doesn't show-up.

I'll just go back to 1.08

Try and figure it out
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Why not go to 1.15? you know that the latest version of plys mod uses v1.15

Pride
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 04:45
1.09 as in Ply's Mod 1.09, the most recent Beta.

Try and figure it out
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 05:52
@Pride:

That's very strange as I have used the same levels for testign over and over again. The .bin and .dbo files haven't been corrupted at all... Are you sure you're using the V1.15 FPSC Editor?

The one and only,

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 18:31
Okay, I've held the secrets in long enough.

It's that time again!! (Finally... )

!!! VIDEO TIME !!!

Here it is. A new video showing some the things you'll be able to do in Ply's Mod V1.09

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hevkSh0OxxQ

The one and only,

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Sick video! Too many cool things
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
SICKSICKSICK Really Cool

Keep it up.!!!

john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 8th May 2009 20:27
are you serious ply?.....

just when i decide , "ok ill go to wizzmod i think it has more for what i need cuase im not much of a scripter" you go and make an amazing shadeR!!!!!!!! now im back to stage one. lol i have no idea what to do

shadow666
Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 20:46
No matter what, you have to learn to script to make a good game. Wizzmod is becoming a "ply's mod little brother".

Anyway, pretty neat vid Ply.
john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 8th May 2009 21:12
ill learn the basics from a friend of mine im emailing with (wink wink)

lol but is there any way, i can get this shader and wizzmod (and ply mod too!?!? that would be awsome (hint hint lol)

shadow666
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 21:36
Wow, so scriptable weapons, is it?

I cannot wait, the gravity gun type thing you had going there looked awesome! And the "scope gives way to realtime cubemapping, would it be possible to orient the scope camera via the GunSpec, so the user can set it to reflect what's behind the player, (not just for aesthetics BTW, imagine seeing a zombie reflected in your weapon, and spinning around as he bears down on you)...

God, this is awesome!

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, and he'll break it up into firewood...or swap it for a fish."
meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 22:10
Ply, I think I love you

Ok, not so much, but I was wondering when this would come along. Excellent, I think I should get a discount for suggesting it

Maybe not, lol

Crusader2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2009 00:25
Ply...

YOU ARE A GOD!

In all serriousness, this is amazing. Great work!

Some people say that I'm crazy... And I agree.
USE PLY'S MOD!
Pride
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2009 06:45
Quote: "Are you sure you're using the V1.15 FPSC Editor?"

That could be the problem

Try and figure it out
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2009 07:02
Thank you for the kind comments, everyone! I was hoping these features would be appreciated.

Quote: "would it be possible to orient the scope camera via the GunSpec, so the user can set it to reflect what's behind the player"

Yes, the camera is specified in the gunspec. After that, you're free to move the camera around as you see fit via scripting, because guess what?? It's a user defined camera!

Also, the camera's placement, size, etc is all set inside the gunspec. This will allow the camera to be easily set up on any weapon. You can expect a tutorial for setting it up if need be once the next beta is released.

Quote: "Ply...

YOU ARE A GOD!"

Gosh, I haven't been referred to as a god since the Lemur days!
I'm glad you liked the video.

The one and only,

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Great vid there Ply keep up the great work.

Best s4real

Crusader2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2009 20:58
Please tell me this is going into Project Blue UM at some point...

USE PLY'S MOD!
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2009 21:08
Some features may make it, some features may not. That's just the way the ball bounces.

Rest assured, though, that if all of the features can be merged into PBUM, then they will be.

The one and only,

Crusader2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2009 21:33
I really want the new shader system and the cameras for the guns.

USE PLY'S MOD!
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah. The camera thing has my interest highly piqued.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 11:15
I have found a useful little tip that could save performance. If you have an illumination or reflection map that isn't needed, (and is therefore completely black), set it's size to 1*1 pixels, and it'll take the engine no effort at all to load it...

Does anyone know why the new "super shader" only works on guns BTW?

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 11:18
Quote: "I have found a useful little tip that could save performance. If you have an illumination or reflection map that isn't needed, (and is therefore completely black), set it's size to 1*1 pixels, and it'll take the engine no effort at all to load it..."

Or if you have an almost completely metal gun, like a glaive or Deagle, you could set it to all white and then 1x1.

"You are not smart! You are very un-smart!"
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 14:55 Edited at: 10th May 2009 15:26
@Ply: V108 is throwing me the Debug error when I run a test game. Very annoying when I'm trying to make my contest entry.

Very impressive shader system too, btw. Verrry nice

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 15:11
Awesome Ply, well done! Looks great!

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 01:21
Quote: "Does anyone know why the new "super shader" only works on guns BTW?"

Because that was the only shader system that I altered.

Lee had a ton of hard-coded stuff in the other systems that requires a bit more effort to upgrade out of. I tinkered into the entity system a bit but that caused a bunch of things to break, so I put it back the way it was until I was ready to hack at it again. :-Y

@Dar13:

V1.08 needs to be used with FPSC V1.07-V1.09

V1.09 needs to be used with FPSC V1.15

If you're using the correct version, I'll need to know a little bit more about what's going on to be able to help.

The one and only,

freak of nature 64
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 18:45
Hey, ply, could you implement physx into this rather than ode? You can look on google or something for it. If you did that'd be AWESOME!

bla bla bla Mr. Freeman
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hey, ply, could you implement physx into this rather than ode? You can look on google or something for it. If you did that'd be AWESOME!"

I'm sure that would be extremely hard, but that probably would have won ply the phys x competition.

DarkFrost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 22:05
So you cant build game with version 1.09 of plys mod? And if not could you somehow give me permission to since the only reason i build games is so i can play them on computers without fpsc.

-Cyclone
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 22:10 Edited at: 11th May 2009 22:28
@Ply: I'm using the V109 editor and Ply's Mod V108.
Here's my system:
Pentium 4 1.70 GHz
nVidia GeForce 5200FX
512 MB of RAM
over 90 GB of hard drive space left
Btw, it still compiles the test game, but the error message still pops up.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 02:49
@Cyclone:

Buy the Mod and you may build with it to your hearts content.

The restriction is currently in place due to a number of factors (which I will not discuss here ) and you must keep in mind that this is still in the BETA stage. More features are being implemented and since I have yet to receive any further bug reports... The next beta will include many new features for testing. After that, if no bugs are reported, the next beta will become the official V1.09 of Ply's Mod.

You may, however, purchase the Mod at any time by either using the form on the Ply's Mod website, or by sending me an email. After payment is received, I will send you the full version which will have no restrictions placed on it.

@Dar13:

What kind of level are you having problems with? Does it work fine with a small, thrown together level?
I can't help if I can't tell what the problem is, so I'll need to know what the level's like that it doesn't work on and if there any levels at all that it does work with.

The one and only,

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 00:35:03
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 00:35:03