Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Pirates..well idk

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2005 03:11 Edited at: 2nd May 2005 03:13
ok, dude is shaping up much to my liking....I would challege most with this head model (considering my 3-d program cost less than $30)

damn - I like it for a low poly character...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Squids Revenge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2005 03:46
Quote: "yeah, sry been busy, company's over. Ill try to get it to u soon."

Ok.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
Tight! Better than anything I've ever seen! (except for that model)

[me]"My throat froze!"
[other person]"Force quit it next time..."
A.K.A Death Stalker
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2005 04:51
@Heckno: thats an awesome model, it looks pro quality. Thanks!

Video games…they can take you places unreachable, impossible, unfeasible. They put you in the book...they put you in the movie...they put you in a world, a world that before could only be imagined.
Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2005 11:36 Edited at: 2nd May 2005 11:38
It is my pleasure Gil (and the rest of the team)

here is a little more before the work week begins....

I just hired a new guy who starts later this week, so this might be it on the updates for a while...

Attachments

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2005 20:29
sorry guys every single project i have started I am not doing until after exams because
a. they are stressful
b. i need to revise
c. this weekend and bank holiday I'm finishing off the last bit of coursework
d. my free time is dedicated to fun, karate and 3D training

I'm sure some of you are in a similar position

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2005 20:47 Edited at: 2nd May 2005 20:58
heckno that is a so cool human headshaped model !!

and gil:
ill be really busy for some time now, so i might not be able to work that much on the project.

the things are: wedding (my uncle is getting married), exams, other projects of mine, sleeping and other stuff that takes much of my precious time. but i will try to work on the talk system when im in the mood for it and when i have more time. sorry for this.

i asume i will be able to work fulltime again in 3-4 weeks.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2005 23:15
@Heckno: k, np, im gonna be busy too.
@Seppuku: Yup, i know know what ur talking about
@Lukas W: k, its np.
@0Squids Revenge0: Ill try to email the HTML for u today.

Video games…they can take you places unreachable, impossible, unfeasible. They put you in the book...they put you in the movie...they put you in a world, a world that before could only be imagined.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2005 23:22
i might be able to dedicate time to my projects after the exams but I do have a social life lol so it won't be comic book guy style computer work, (sitting there for a hours with a burger by the pc doing stuff, criticising small details on geeky programs and complaining say 'worst episode ever' and getting ever fatter and no friends or life)

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah, your lucky.

Anyways, I'll have to join the club of dudes that aren't working for a while. Like all u, the reasons are:

*Guild Wars
*Finals
*More Guild Wars
*Sleep
*Guild Wars for the third time
*Yet more Guild Wars
*Eat
*Piano (ya, i know, the wrost thing in the world, but i have one last recital b4 i'm done)
*Guild Wars for the who-knows-what-ever time
*My MMORPG that I'm working on (or hope to work on)
*Guild Wars
*My squad-based FPS
*The game that keeps putting itself here
*And again
*And I'm bored
*Because school is boring
*And this post is just about over
*And Guild Wars
*And keeping charge of the Guild me an my bro are making
*Once again that addicting game
*More sleep
*The game that's gonna make me fail when i've gotten straight A's
*Yet again

And finally, the bell rings. Time for math. Oh, I just got 24/25 in a national/state compotition and got in the top 2% of the contestants. And my friend got 25/25 (which only 1 other person at this school in 15 years has gotten)

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2005 04:54
don't forget guild wars

you're working on a mmorpg, a lot of work.....
Piano lessons....you only need one lesson just to know how to read the music, i did that for my guitar and picked up the style from songs i played from the book, (but books don't teach solo's maybe my dad could help)
Anyway out of curiosity what style do you play on the piano, Alicia keys style, nine inch nails style, Muse style or do you go for the classical stuff

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
I play random songs, but I prefer Classical and Jazz.

For the recital, I'm playing Minuet in G and some jazz piece.

I "need" lessons so I "learn how to play the piano with perfect dynamics, and with perfect tempo" Translated into English, that means "Connor, I just hijacked your parent's brains and made them think that teaching you is a good thing while they pay me $75 to torchure you"

Anyhow, how about a project check? I'd like to see what Gil has done to the game currently.

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2005 06:47 Edited at: 3rd May 2005 06:50
ahh perfect dynamics. I'm more of a rock, punk, metal and industrial fan, classical is a good style of music to relax to, I would listen to Pavoroty(please don't correct my spelling) if it was put on and if britney spears was put on i'd tell em 'to turn that sh** off its making me puke'
Do you like Damien Rice, that is good music man

PS I take it you don't like the piano, its good for certain music, just don't let them push you around

*I apologize for the off topic talk*

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2005 07:41 Edited at: 3rd May 2005 07:48
edit old link broken try this
http://www.freewebs.com/seppukuarts/flagwip.avi

Uhhh look at this, its an anim of a flag i'm making for a ship, it'll have the jolly roger on no worries, i just came out with it in Cinema 4D and thought it'd be good for this project

Its only a few secs long tho

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2005 07:58 Edited at: 3rd May 2005 08:03
@Seppuku: yeah, lol, i understand, btw, once again, models are looking great, if u dont mind, i could send u the descriptions of characters ive got, if itd be easy just to alter little things to make them different people, when u have the time (which i realize wont be very much )
@Nitrixik Studios: You forgot about Guild Wars. Whats ur name on there?
About the project check heres what ive been up to on the game:
-Trying to implement terrain into the game (Ive run into a problem, i have geoscape down here on the comp, and the game's media/source/everything else on the upstairs comp, hehe. Seems like itd be easy, just to move the program, but for some reason i transfer all the files and theres some texture loading bug down here, saying some images doenst exsist, which im positive they do. And i can only install geoscape 3d on one comp using the license key, unless i want to pay another $65 to get another copy . So i think im gonna try to copy the entire pirates folder from upstairs and transfer it, not just the media.)
-High to Low poly switch (When ur far from an object it switches to low poly, when ur close its high poly. And for some reason it wont work, if i cant get it figured out ill send it to one of u for some help)
-Making new buildings for the game (not implemented yet, want to get terrain before anymore are put in, cause the island slopes up)
-Designing (Almost got the whole island layout designed now, designing other beginning prof quests, and other random things)
-Managing Team (Making sure everyone has something to do, testing out code, making suggestions, etc.)
-Writing Responses for NPC's (Just how they respond when u ask them something, and the things that u can ask them, ive got like 15 things u can say so far, gonna be more though, and ive got 3 peoples responses completely, then about 1/2 of anothers)

So thats what ive been doing lately. BTW howd the inventory system every work out, Nitrixik and Lukas? Did yall get the bugs fixed? If not please just do that one last thing before you get too busy, so i can work with it. If so, please send it to me. Im also gonna be busy (exams, social life, video games, and last few weeks of school). Hopefully i can get a lot done though during the summer. Thanks .

-Gil Galvanti

EDIT: @Seppuku: O, just saw ur last post, you posted sometime after the last time i checked, (dang this post took me a long time, lol) it wasnt there when i was gonna post, then u posted at :41 and i posted at :58, lol.)

EDIT2: Sry for some reason the animations not working for me . It gets into windows media player then just keeps saying connecting, after about 3 minutes it still said it. (and yes i have an internet connection, obviously )

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2005 08:03 Edited at: 3rd May 2005 08:04
Maybe I'll make one of the characters as one of my models when teaching myself character modelling skills (which I am buying a course off of Caligari.com for characters)
Don't worry it should be only until exams are over, woohoo(sarcastic) 10hr art exam thurs and fri lol I'm guessing most TGC projects are having the same problems

PS- Do you think the flag could have more turbulance, the only problem I got is keeping the stand still without the flag being weird lol, i'll sort that out

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2005 08:07
o, sry i was thinking u were doing char models again . But the object models are great also. Sry .

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2005 08:19 Edited at: 3rd May 2005 08:20
Problem solved yey!
Thats alright, I was getting slightly worried about you asking me to do a char model lol

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2005 08:46
lol, ok, that link still wont work

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2005 08:52 Edited at: 3rd May 2005 08:55
really, it works for me though...odd
i'll rerender it smaller to add as an attachment

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2005 08:56
here this is it, this time with the problem solved

click on download

Attachments

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2005 10:07 Edited at: 3rd May 2005 10:14
I missed a lot, still reading.

Gil, uninstal it on the top computer (or wherever) and redownload it on the lower computer.

@Gil:

THe inventory system I think only needs one more function (another long select statement) and then it should be flawless. Lukas, could I just then send it to you and you use whatever media?

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2005 13:19
@Nitrixik: Ok, ill try that.
@Seppuku: Ok, im on the upstairs computer now, and now, for some reason the flag animation is working. Looks good

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2005 16:28
@nitrixik
yeah, i guess i can just use any media i have

@gil
currently im still updating the talk system to version 1.2
ill see if i can finish it until wednesday/thursday before i leave. (wedding in sweden - wont be home until sunday)

i have a movement code ready, its implemented in the talk system 1.2
it is simply a GOSUB MOVEMENT thingy, so its quite easy to implement in the main game. i couldnt figure out a way to check for collision with terrains, as they dont have terrain width commands or something similar. i guess it would be possible to just use arrays to store the terrains dimensions and then create the terrain, but i havent tried.

ill see if i can implement the scroll bar into the talk system, and then i can send it to you. i guess that is what youre waiting for

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2005 02:07
@Gil, thanks, i'll it finished asap, but at the mo I am downloading the education version of maya and may play arounf with it a bit for the next few days lol

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
Warning! Do not use Maya! I repeat, DO Not Use MAYA!!!!!!!! *kaboom*

(computer exploded)

Like I just said, do not use maya, because it's the best modeling program on Earth!

(I mean, when you spend the 5,000 bucks just to buy the full version)

I got the education version along with the disks, and I cant do anything except make models. When I try to render, all I see is the Maya logo, it's impossible to see the render. It does have the best tools, but it should only be used as a liscensed version. I bet that if you export a model, that model will show/be textured with the MAYA logo.

Anyhow, bored. We have to read a 275 page book in one/two weeks, and that book will be on the Finals in 3 weeks. And the chapter take forever to read.

O well, can't wait till Guild Wars 2nite!

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2005 04:48 Edited at: 4th May 2005 04:49
@gil
talk system 1.2 is finished.
ill email it to you as soon as ive finished eating.

updates:
movement
*static collision wth objects
*collision with matrices (but you have to set it up manually)
*ill try to implement terrain collision aswell
*camera rotation (not turninhg upside down)
*gravity
*stair collision

talk
*frame rate used to drop from 82 to 5, now it drops from 82 to 43. (on my computer)
*scrollbar added (i cant figure out how to add a slide bar)

ok, i think that is all there is

ill try to add more things until thursday, and when i leave, if i have something usefull ill email it before i leave

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2005 06:57 Edited at: 4th May 2005 06:59
don't worry i'm only using the education version to get used to how it works for when I have the money to buy it, like i did with truespace and almost did for Cinema 4D (almost because I downloaded the demo but never used it lol)

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2005 07:06
@ Heckno, whilst flicking through posts i looked at your image of the face, looks great....my advice is get the latest issue of 3D world mag for skin texturing tutorial or ask me to make a skin texture for you with bump mapping , I don't mean to sound like I'm saying good job and I'm better than you so let me improve it lol but just to make use of the tutorial to make the head look more realistic, oh and I have face animator maybe we could take advantage of that tool to animate his face too.
I love the model mesh (I can't model heads for sh**)

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
Doesn't "autocam collison on" handle collision?

The inventory will be done by the week after the week after next week, I promise! I'll cross my , hope to , poke a in my (while playin )

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2005 10:19
lol, ok, np

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
Gil, culd you get a Yahoo instant messaging account? i'd like to talk to you about something

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2005 10:32 Edited at: 4th May 2005 10:38
i have AIM, whats ur s/n?

EDIT: Mines compkid328

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
I have no AIM and I dont' plan on getting AIM, I only plan on using YIM.

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2005 13:09 Edited at: 4th May 2005 13:10
no, i know, lol, but u can talk to eachother through them, im pretty sure, AIM can talk with YIM.

EDIT:
@0Squids Revenge0: Sry i still havent got it to u, homework, school, and family coming have stopped me, so do u just want the html for each page?

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2005 13:25
Hey, everyone not on the team, heres some screens to encourage you to visit the website, where you can find more screens and other things . (website=http://expage.com/piratesmainpage)
(click on images for larger picture)

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2005 21:55
lookin good, btw, did u make these levels out of millions of separate objects? i could be sure i saw that in the codebase somewhere and everything was make out of lots of objects

"Well, if he dies, it'll teach him not to do it again." - Me
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2005 23:05 Edited at: 4th May 2005 23:35
well, the one in the codebase is about 6 months old, lol, it only has the very beginning and its untextured. This was when i didnt have CS4, lol, so no, not all of it, and yes some of it is. The 1st dock is made completely out of one pieces (not each piece of wood, but where its starts over) and the hut is made completely out of one pieces. Everything else is now made out of just one whole thing. All the buildings contain objects in them when imported. Hope that answered your question .

EDIT: In fact heres an example (since its only a small snippet it wont hurt )

Lots of objects

And one whole object

EDIT2: @Seppuku: Just wondering, hows the models coming, i understand if u havent done any lately cause ur busy, i was just wondering if u have any more screens to show us . Take your time though .

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2005 01:55
you saw the flag anim, thats my latest at the mo, i am busy because of exams (Art exam tomorrow woo bloody hoo lol) but I'm picking at projects (like this one) here and there

Gil if you have CS4, i thought you would've made light maps to make it look cool

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2005 08:44
Quote: "you saw the flag anim, thats my latest at the mo, i am busy because of exams (Art exam tomorrow woo bloody hoo lol) but I'm picking at projects (like this one) here and there"

ok, np

Quote: "Gil if you have CS4, i thought you would've made light maps to make it look cool
"

You mean the world? Its really hard to do the world, because each building is seperate and stuff, and it wont work with the dbp light.

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
So...you're using DBP lights? Okay, I'm in the middle of designing my MMORPG/RTS game (hopefully the way i'm planning a game will be an mmo because they're fun) but people who haven't already posted here, please don't come and swear at me.

Oh, one more thing I don't understand. There is a "hot topic" in the General's forum talking about how the Team Request Forum shouldn't have been deleted (at least, that's what I get from it) and it's NOT LOCKED!!!!! I had a thread that was locked PROMPTLY by mods, and I was practically SWEARED at for bringing the topic up. What is it really wtih the mods these days? (Mods, this is a WIP, first off, this thread shouldn't be locked JUST BECAUSE IM POSTING THIS ONE POST. Second, no need to come polute this thread and start a big conversation with people who don't belong to be posting here (ppl not on the team). Third, there's no point to ban me. I hope I addressed all of the points that you might do. (in other words, some people might appreciate it more if this was left to the team))

Ah, just rambling what was on my mind, o well, Gil, sent you an email.

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2005 12:16
Quote: "So...you're using DBP lights? "

No, currently not using any lights .

Quote: "o well, Gil, sent you an email"

didnt get it

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2005 01:34
gil just place lights in CS 4 and click on calculate, not too hard, it look more professional if you do

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2005 07:45 Edited at: 6th May 2005 07:46
Quote: "gil just place lights in CS 4 and click on calculate, not too hard, it look more professional if you do"

no, i know how, ive done it before, but it always makes it look too dark and also itll make it hard to match it up with all the other buildings. Also i dont know how i would do different times of day then. I might do this later, but thats not one of my priorities for right now

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, when I get home, I'll write the final function and then Lukas, I'll send it to you.

Functions:

on_mouseOver() = checks if the mouse is over an object in the inventory and if the object is 20 away or less (don't know the distances, so i'm just saying 20) Returns the number of the object, and if none, returns 0.

on_mouseClick(object) = checks if the mouse clicks while it is over a valid objcet (on_mouseClick() goes inside) This calls getItem(obj) or something like that.

getItem(obj) = calls the functions that control what happens to the object (i think it's called a "handler")

seach_Inventory(what, this) = searches the "what" category for "this" Returns 1 if found and 0 if not found

getName(obj,_version) = the function that needs writing. This will search for the name of the object and will have a big select statement.

convert(object,_version) = this will put all of the data into the global that puts stuff in the inventory, anothe big select statement.

placeInven() = this will place the data into the inventory slot.

amountAdd(object,version) = if the object is in the inventory and the type = addable, this will add the item into the inventory. BIG case statement.

I think that's all of them, hope that you, Lukas, and you, Gil, understand my bad code.

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2005 06:28
@ gil, fair enough

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2005 07:48 Edited at: 7th May 2005 07:53
i know I am busy but I am able to spare the odd 10 mins to this project at the mo , there a start to a ship, the flag is animated, but has more turbulance than the last one

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2005 12:53
@Seppuku: cool . I was wondering, this might be too hard, if you could make different degrees of turbulence, for different levels of wind. Then we could activate the different animations depending on the wind level .
@Nitrixik Studios: Cool, and im sure ur coding is better than mine

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
No, I doubt it. I just had trouble enough trying to make a simple screen-saver-mother's-day-present-thingy, which should've been very simple. but it took me a whole hour

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2005 01:40
mine wouldve taken a day

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 05:06:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 05:06:58